Evangelynn Zeal - Seraph (The Janus) / Billy Wilder - The Quickshot Kid (The Beacon)

EDTA

Evangelynn Zeal AKA "Seraph" THE JANUSspacer.png

HERO NAME: Seraph
LOOK: White woman, formal clothing, concealing costume, hood
ABILITIES: Heightened Physical Abilities, Impossible MobilityLynn can 'grow' three pairs of wings, like great bird wings if birds had eyes on their wings. Grow isn't really the right word for it, its more like she can make them appear and disappear at will. They aren't a part of her body but the appear to grow from her back.

When she is using them she can obviously fly, but she can also use them to move quicker and more nimbly and they're strong enough to let her fly so they're pretty useful as bludgeons too. Even when they aren't 'out' she can feel them, like she's aware they're there but they really don't do anything when they're like that. They can't seem to interact with anything like that either.
, Supernatural SensesLynn's wings are covered in eyes which she can see through. Rather disorienting but they give her a massive field of vision, even when they aren't 'out'.

When she's actively looking through them she can often notice or even just see things she otherwise might not be able to. They're probably able to see at a different spectrum than normal human eyes or they could just be magic. She doesn't know what the deal is.

LABELS

DANGER FREAK SAVIOR SUPERIOR MUNDANE
+0 -1 +0 +1 +3

CONDITIONS

AFRAID -2 to Directly Engage a Threat
  ANGRY -2 to Comfort or Support or Pierce the Mask
  GUILTY -2 to Provoke Someone or Assess the Situation
  HOPELESS -2 to Unleash Your Powers
___ INSECURE -2 to Defend Someone or Reject Others' Influence

POTENTIAL

___ ___ ___ ___ ___

Every time you roll a miss on a move, mark potential.

MOVES:

The MaskYou wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:

Freak Savior ◼️ Danger Superior

Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label. When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential

Mild ManneredWhen you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade. On a 7-9, choose one:

- you’re still under observation

- you leave something incriminating behind

- you’re forced to make a fool of yourself to sell it

On a miss, one of your civilian obligations rears its ugly head

Game FaceWhen you commit yourself to save someone or defeat a terrible enemy, mark a condition and take +1 ongoing to all rolls in direct pursuit of that goal.

At the end of any scene in which you don’t make progress towards that goal, mark a condition. When you fulfill your goal, mark potential.

Feature - Secret IdentityYour mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.

(Family Appearances, "Boyfriend", Popularity)

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations. On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt.

Moment of TruthThe mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the damn day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…: LOCKED

TEAM MOVES:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

BACKSTORY

• Why do you keep a secret identity?

"That's a pretty dumb question. Even if there weren't like the Tangee going around and taking people you know who my father is? I'd be disowned in a second if they didn't turn me in themselves. Daddy would probably get a ton of donations off it too, how he was 'called on to sacrifice his first born' or something like that. As much as he likes to talk about forgiveness he loves that Old Testament stuff."  

• Who, outside the team, knows about your dual identity

"Grace Petersen. I mean we might not be great friends anymore but we used to be like sisters, except I actually liked her. Once. I guess. sigh Look, I might've cut her out of my life because we were getting older and she had her own deal and I had mine and she totally didn't fit into my new life but we were best friends once. And growing six freaky wings overnight is way bigger than who got boobs first or who was turning into a real geek and who might've actually had a shot at being popular. 

"I... I don't think Grace hated me for it. Why didn't she hate me? I'd hate me if I was her. But I showed it to her and it was just like old times. Grace geeking out over something, and Evangelynn showing up again. Not Lynn posturing for her minions. Just Evangelynn. It was... nice. And it's always nice like that whenever we talk about this stuff but Grace was always a superpower superfan. It's kinda cute..."

"So whatever, Grace knows. She could probably turn me in any day if she wanted to. I would. But I guess 'Grace' is better than 'Lynn'. Big surprise. I guess I don't pick on her anymore like I did. Like she was something I stepped in. Like that makes me a saint or something."

• Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

"Well I mean my family does for sure. But Adrian does too. He's kinda like my boyfriend. Fiance if you ask our parents. Adrian Prince. Son of Senator Adam Prince. Yeah, that Adam Prince. I mean I don't think I like Adrian that much. I guess he's kinda hot but... no, he's not even that hot. He might not be so bad except thinks he knows everything about everything and he blows up if you correct him about anything and he's wrong literally all the time. But Daddy and The Senator work together on a lot of stuff now and they thought we were a good match too. He even does HUAC stuff, like they're trying to make him into this next great leader. Yeah, right. I don't know if anybody in my family's heard anything about 'Seraph' but I know Adrian has. *snort* I made sure he knew about Seraph. He thinks some masked hero wannabe made it their mission to make him look like an ass whenever they could and you know what? That might be the first thing he's ever been right about!"

• When did you first put on the mask? Why?

"You kidding? I can fly! Flying is like a top tier power, one of those things every kid wishes they'd get even if it came with crazy nightmare wings. I wasn't going to let something stupid like an alien invasion and occupation ruin it for me. So the costume and the mask, they were just stuff I did to do that and not get hassled about it. If you believe what the Tangee say they're only looking for people who are causing problems anyway. Not me. I was just trying to live my best life which isn't hard for the daughter of Blair Zeal."

"Except, you know, that's all you are. The Daughter of Blair Zeal. He didn't used to be so bad but that changed after The Battle of Halcyon. Now we had to be the smiling perfect family all the time. And I was growing up in the right ways so I was the pretty perfect princess who showed everybody that everything was just fine. You know, so long as you do everything exactly like you're supposed to. So maybe me flying around was like my own little protest. Clowning on HUAC operations, especially if Little Prince Adrian was in charge, definitely was."

"Like I probably didn't need to actually do anything like that but Adrian sucks that much. And those HUAC guys? They're always creeps to me when they show up and plan stuff with Daddy. I can't do anything about it as Lynn but Seraph can whup them all day long. It feels great! And they're scumbags anyway. Like this one time they actually raided an elementary school because they thought some kindergartener was this threat to world security. Real big men, terrorizing little kids like that. So yeah I had to show them what it looks like when someone bigger and badder picked on them for a change! They ran like they were the kids the first time someone fought back. The kids though? I don't think I'll forget the way they looked at me when I showed up with my big freaky wings with the eyes and all that. I... I think I get why people used to do this. Little kids looking at you like you're some hero. Their hero."

• Why do you care about the team?

"I mean I didn't want to run off and fight the Tangee but I guess I'm in it now. Made too much noise and got noticed by HUAC and AEGIS and DAGGR and whatever other stupid acronyms are running around out there. Gotta keep it up right? It's not like joining a team of people who actually wanted to do this and know what they're doing is going to hurt my chances any. And I mean I'm trying to be smarter about it. 'Lynn' needed to be the center of attention and look how that worked out. I'm thinking 'Lynn' kind of sucks. Maybe Seraph needs to be a team player and be a better person and I don't know. A hero? There aren't any more of those anymore. But maybe this team can do it. And maybe I can do it if I'm here for it. I'm not going to give up without trying. Maybe I'll see what those kids saw in Seraph. Or what Grace saw in Evangelynn."

---

• Why is Seraph's dual identity so important to them? What person or thing keeps them from abandoning their civilian life and simply becoming a full-time superhero?

"Seriously? Even if there wasn't the whole Tangee invasion what would that even look like? I'm still in high school! Who even wants to be a hero all the time anyway? Sounds like what a crazy person would do! Though I guess it's not like I can really judge anyone for that. The better question is why even try to do anything at all. Its not like things are bad for me. At least not as bad as it is for other people. Didn't really know that before. Guess I didn't care. But still! I've got my family, and friends, kinda. And plans! You think I want to stay here all my life, living in my parent's house? Well mansion but whatever. I got my whole life going on plus the hero stuff and I can keep those things apart no problem so I can totally do both. Why would anyone choose to give everything up for like, punching people? Crazy people, that's who! I mean it's fun and all flying, and maybe I can help people or whatever but I'm not going to make it my whole deal. Who would? Crazy people."

• What is the biggest consequence that Seraph fears will result from them being unmasked? Who besides Seraph herself would be at most risk of being hurt?

"You think I was kidding when I said Daddy would disown me? Maybe if there weren't the Tangee it might not be that bad, like eventually. Like make up when he's dying or something. But he hates superpowers and I got them so he'd hate me if he found out. That's just like common sense. And the Tangee probably wouldn't like it. All the one's I met don't seem to be all that chill. They'd probably take it out on my whole family, not just Daddy. I mean as much as he'd probably deserve it my mother is just sort of sweet. And dumb. And then Ginny and Bethany, what, just because they're my little sisters? Plus Grace, I guess she's sort of helped out enough with me trashing HUAC stuff she'd be in trouble too. Oh and Adrian, no way the Tangee wouldn't think I wasn't working with him but he sucks so whatever."

"But then there are all the other people. Like what would people say if they find out I'm Lynn freaking Zeal? They'd never trust me for anything again like I'm a spy or something! Or make me do something really bad. Plus I mean there's all the social media stuff. I'm just doing what everybody did before the invasion but now apparently it's called "propaganda" and "tone-deaf", at least before the trolls and comments get deleted. I mean it's probably not great the Tangee and HUAC and all them like me doing it since it makes it look like everything is great and normal. But still how much would it suck if all anybody thought of when I'm out there trying to maybe be a better person was dumb stuff I posted online?"

• Why are Seraph's obligations important to her? Who is she really failing if she neglects them? What would the consequences be?

"Why should I ruin my life over this stuff? I'm popular at school but it's not like that's just automatic. You gotta keep on top of that stuff otherwise you got someone coming after you. Plus it's like my life. It's something I want to do, like this hero stuff is something I want to do. And I get to keep doing it if I show up for the family stuff. I'm there being perky, pretty, and perfect at services. I'm "dating" someone who's going to be connected and important. I basically can do whatever I want because I'm doing the stuff Daddy needs me to without being told to. I've been doing it way longer than I had powers even. I've got practice. When I don't, that's when things get messy. That's why I mess with Little Prince Adrian through his HUAC stuff. Daddy decided I was supposed to date Adrian so I date him.  I can't just "decide" I want to break up with him because that's not supposed to be my decision. That's just the way it is."

PLAYER QUESTIONS

• What kind of player are you?

I tend to overthink concepts in the pregame process a little (a lot) but that typically means I wind up with something I really care about in the end. I always stick with games until their end and have been doing play by post for a while so I know that can come sooner than you'd expect. So I take the approach that you need to enjoy the ride for however long it lasts and that generally means I'll be engaged and pushing things forward as best I can. And I love cooperative games, so Masks is perfect. More than any other system I've played I've seen Masks games just sort of transition nicely to really fun roleplay opportunities, with lots of back and forth between players and I love that sort of stuff. Drama is the name of the game and Masks loves drama.

• Why are you excited for this game?

I mean I'm going to take a second look at any Masks game that pops up no matter what, but I'm excited about this one in particular because I haven't really seen the Iron Red Soldiers setting used that much. It's not my favorite of those found in Masks Unbound but it's a unique take and one that I haven't personally done before. And the central premise is one I haven't really done in any sort of game before so it's something brand new in a system I've loved playing in the past. 

• What are your expectations for this game?

A lot of Masks games I've played secret identities weren't much of a thing, either the game setup it didn't make sense or the group did things in one "mode" the whole time, like they were always students at a superhero school or always on a mission. This sort of game setup seems like one where that won't be the case and that would be really fun to play out. It's the reason why I picked the playbook I did, since that sort of dynamic is something I haven't really done before and even if the game doesn't quite turn out that way the playbook can still give me a taste of that. Otherwise all the standard Masks action and drama and finding your own way in the strange world you're in would be just my speed.

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for this game?

I just love being part of games. And this setup is one where the characters can all have different agendas and goals but they're thrown together to work towards some common end. And the setting is one where you can get friction when those agendas conflict. I'm a collaborative player and I think I can work pretty well with a group to keep things moving, since slowdowns are inevitable but they can be killers in play by post. But really it's about telling stories together, otherwise what's the point of doing games like this? I want to make something with other people and I play with that in mind. I don't ever know what my character is always going to think or do or have happen because where's the fun in that?

Edited by EDTA (see edit history)

spacer.pngBilly Wilder AKA "The Quickshot Kid" The Beacon

HERO NAME: The Quickshot Kid
LOOK: White man, naïve face, comfortable clothing, gaudy costume
ABILITIES: Trick Shooting, Phasing

LABELS

DANGER FREAK SAVIOR SUPERIOR MUNDANE
+0 -1 +2 +0 +2

CONDITIONS

AFRAID -2 to Directly Engage a Threat
  ANGRY -2 to Comfort or Support or Pierce the Mask
  GUILTY -2 to Provoke Someone or Assess the Situation
  HOPELESS -2 to Unleash Your Powers
___ INSECURE -2 to Defend Someone or Reject Others' Influence

POTENTIAL

___ ___ ___ ___ ___

Every time you roll a miss on a move, mark potential.

MOVES:

Straight. Up. Creepin’When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane.

On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
- what’s my best way in/out?
- what happened here recently?
- what here is worth grabbing?
- who or what here is not what they seem?
- whose place is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

No Powers and not Nearly Enough TrainingYou’re always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.

The first time you use each piece of gear to directly engage a threat, unleash your powers, or defend someone, you can roll + Mundane instead of the normal Label.

Feature - DrivesChoose four drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take Influence over someone involved.

When your four marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark four new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon of the city.

-lead the team successfully in battle
-help a teammate when they most need you
- pull off a ridiculous stunt
-reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be
here”

Moment of TruthThis is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...: LOCKED

TEAM MOVES:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

BACKSTORY

• How did you gain your skills?

"My skills? That's all Wilder Blood, dude! There were Wilders doing trick shooting and gun twirling going back to the Old West pretty sure! But I guess I learned it all from my grandad, he was like a CAS all-star or something. That's 'Cowboy Action Shooting', you know. It was pretty much the only thing to do out in Wyoming in the summers when he had me but I was amazing at it. They don't really have that kind of stuff here though. Guess people flying around punching buildings apart is more exciting. Oh you mean the other thing? I might have been doing something really dumb and there could have been a dare to run into a wall and I definitely didn't run smack into one. 'Cause I ran through it. 'Cause I was drunk. But everybody else was too so I think I'm good. I figured out that wasn't just some drunk thing a bit after that, though there were no dares then. So I can like go through things. It feels really weird!"

• When did you first put on your costume?

"It was like a week after that, tops. I had a superpower so that meant I was a superhero right? The Beaks didn't come around my neighborhood anymore anyway, I think 'cause they thought they got everybody already. Nobody I knew but none of them were even like superheroes right? Just people with powers. Or people the Beaks said had powers and you're not supposed to argue with them. But even if the Beaks weren't around there were tons of other problems. The whole place wasn't all that great before everything blew up and not having even those few heroes who popped in from time to time were gone so there was all this normal crime. You don't even need to talk about guys with eyebeams when there are real people carjacking and breaking in places. Cops never bothered with us even before so somebody had to do something. You know, someone handy on the draw and can slip in and out of alleys and stuff. Sure the costume is basically just what I'd wear to CAS events but its like a theme! Superpowered cowboy dude! Tho I don't really like the name I kinda got stuck with. But you outdraw just three guys at once and sometimes things stick."

• Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?

"Speaking of sticking that incident kinda blew up my life. These 'CLOAKSS' dudes got a hold of me, I guess I made too much noise? Well I mean duh, guns are loud, but like how the Beaks weren't showing up in the neighborhood? That changed. But I didn't actually use my superpower, I was just way better than the other guys were. But I guess the guys I scared off worked for some villain or whatever who worked for the Beaks and they didn't want to own up to getting their asses kicked by a 15 year old so I guess they really stretched a lot of the details. So the Beaks showed up looking for superpowers for like a week. Then there was some incident a few projects over one night and the Beaks left right after. Find out later that was a CLOAKSS thing, like they used me as a distraction to pull that stuff off. I mean, good for them, but I find out about it when this CLOAKSS guy, said his name was Dick (ha, right?) came and told me to keep it down. Like I didn't just let him do whatever they did! But I guess I was a liability or something. Loose cannon. Like just running around doing my own thing. But he got me in contact with some other folks. I think they were AEGIS or something, I dunno. They apparently thought I had the skills though 'cause they started looping me in on stuff. Also gave me some cool Beaks stuff, like a pistol that shoots energy beams although I think it's broken 'cause it's like set to 'stun' all the time or something. Not that I wanted to do anything worse! It just feels really weird to actually point these things at people. I was always taught not to do that unless you were prepared for what could happen. Everything's all screwed up. Maybe that's why 'Dick' didn't like me. He didn't seem like he had that problem to me."  

• Why do you try to be a hero?

"I mean it's kinda scary out there but it's also like the real Old West right? Things are a mess, outlaws running around causing problems, and you got all the Beaks stuff too. Plus it's not like there's a ton of people left out there to do it right? I don't know anything about the Beaks but they got their own stuff going on I guess. They aren't the ones running around trying to deliberately cause problems I guess. Plus who doesn't want to be a hero? I didn't have any powers and I still wanted to do it, be a daring vigilante like its the Old West. The black hats are still running around but what about the white hats? Somebody's gotta step up and isn't that basically what a hero is anyway? So I guess that makes me a hero no matter what anybody else thinks!"

• Why do you care about the team?

"Why not? Teams are great! You gotta have your posse! But I mean, I know what I can do. If things were normal what I've got would just be a hobby or a party trick. That's cool. But you know what? Things aren't normal! So if we can make things safer by doing something like CLOAKSS or AEGIS or whoever else with a name that means something else then I know I can do it if I'm watching someone else's back. And then I'd have someone watching mine. Maybe me popping off like that was dumb. Like, way dumber than anything I ever did before. But it showed me I could do something and that's not nothing. And that's just me! What could I do if I was working with other people to do some good?"

---

• Who does the Kid live with? His immediate family? Other relatives? Are they aware of his superheroic antics, and if so do they approve or disapprove?

"You think I'm living on the streets or something? I live with my folks, and my little sister but she's like three or something so she's like a pet you can teach swears to. But I mean they work some boring office jobs and she's got daycare so I'm by myself a lot. Like they don't trust me to watch her or something! I can be responsible too! But they don't know anything I do. If I wasn't doing this I'd be doing some other dumb thing. They'd probably figure stuff out quick if they actually knew I had some of grandad's stuff, 'cuz he left me a bunch when he died. My dad didn't want it. He never cared about that stuff and figured it all got donated to museums and junk. They'd definitely freak if they knew but what's new? They'd freak if they knew half the stuff I've done so that's why they don't need to know!"

• Why doesn't Dick think the Kid should be a superhero? How have they made this opinion known? What kind of person do they think should be a superhero?

"'Cuz he told me? Like flat out said I was going to get killed if I kept doing what I was doing. Like not even 'you'll get hurt, kid', like straight up 'you'll die'. That's messed up right? But also I was going to get a lot of other people killed too and that's also super messed up! I'm pretty sure he sent those AEGIS guys to talk me out of it or arrest me or something but I guess they needed help more than he thought. Or, you know, I'm actually pretty awesome and he's the one who was wrong. Dude was way too dark though. Like his whole reason to hate me felt like it was because I didn't kill those guys for breaking into a drug store. Said I was too kind-hearted to do what I was doing. Like that's some bad thing. Superheroes aren't supposed to just waste people and I'm basically superhero!"

• Does the Kid have any of their own doubts on whether or not they belong on a superhero team? What are they? Is there any person or motivation in particular that pushes them past these doubts?

"I'm not dumb. I mean I'm pretty dumb but I'm not that dumb. I know what I can do is basically what anyone else could do, 'cept I can do it better. I can't punch down buildings or turn into a pile of bugs or whatever but it's not like I'm useless. Like the first superhero, Flying Freedom or whatever? All she could do was just fly and she started all the superhero stuff because she did something. So it's not like I'm saying I'm like her or anything but there aren't a lot of superheroes anymore. What if nobody did anything? I mean that's kinda what my grandad thought. He loved all that Western stuff. There weren't superpowers back then but people still stepped up to do what was right. Nobody watched out for them so it was people helping people. Why's now so different?"

Edited by EDTA (see edit history)

(This is for the Quickshot Kid. A review for Seraph will come later - probably.)

Some things that I wouldn't mind seeing developed further:

Who does the Kid live with? His immediate family? Other relatives? Are they aware of his superheroic antics, and if so do they approve or disapprove?

Why doesn't Dirk think the Kid should be a superhero? How have they made this opinion known? What kind of person do they think should be a superhero?

Does the Kid have any of their own doubts on whether or not they belong on a superhero team? What are they? Is there any person or motivation in particular that pushes them past these doubts?

All in all, solid effort. I would like to see what more you can come up with.

Edited by Morphling (see edit history)

Some things that I wouldn't mind seeing developed further:

Why is Seraph's dual identity so important to them? What person or thing keeps them from abandoning their civilian life and simply becoming a full-time superhero?

What is the biggest consequence that Seraph fears will result from them being unmasked? Who besides Seraph herself would be at most risk of being hurt?

Why are Seraph's obligations important to her? Who is she really failing if she neglects them? What would the consequences be?

All in all, solid effort. I would like to see what more you can come up with.