Exporting an old OGMW game

cailano

Hello. I've been looking around through various threads about migrating old games from OGMW to Baldr, and it sounds like the plan is to export old games as PDFs?

Is that the case?

I've got an old game (auto-archived) that ran for years and has thousands of posts. It would be pretty cool to have a record of it. PDF is fine with me.

I guess I just want to confirm that I'm understanding the situation correctly.

I think that's the plan, yes. You can currently download threads as pdfs, but because you have to do it page-by-page, it can be cumbersome. Alternatively you can download them as a .txt, but some of the coding in the file makes it a bit bothersome for reading.

Even when OGMW is no longer active, an archive will be preserved, along with all games that have been played on it, as far as I know.

We have not finalized the data storage strategy. There are a lot of things on the table, from static HTML pages to exported PDFs to a thread migration tool to keeping OGMW online in read-only mode forever. OGMW will not be turned off until we have this plan nailed down and all actions completed.

That all having been said, there currently is no direct ability to copy OGMW content to Baldr short of a user copying and pasting the rendered post content (which will not work 100% due to substandard OGMW implementations of certain HTML) or doing the same with the BBcode and leveraging the BBcode editor plugin (which also will not work 100% because language and dice won't get processed at all).

Yeah, page by page wouldn't work— way too many pages. I estimated the total word count for that game once, and it was a lot of words. I'm talking The Way of Kings here.

But an HTML export would be awesome. PDF would be awesome. I've always wanted to preserve that content, but the auto-archive feature does its job well.