Lachiel, Lake-Elf storyseeker

Malkavian Grin

spacer.pngspacer.png

Personality

Where Lachiel is honorbound and holds to her word when given, she is also desperately curious about the wider world of Humans.

Background

As much of Lachiel's time has been spent in the forest as out of it. Hers was a family that lived with the Lake-Elves. From an early age Lachiel was drawn to the water, and the idea of freedom it gave her. The wonders it brought her in the form of Humans and their stories was more than enough to hold her interest.

Spending years around Humans and the occasional Dwarf showed Lachiel that the Shadow was growing from all corners of Middle Earth. She called in what favors her family had to get a meeting with the king. It took a year, but it finally came. In that evening she told him of the evil threatening the hearts of the other races. Lachiel asked to have her duty changed to that of finding worthy alliances to help Mirkwood.

On the condition that Lachiel not mention this mission to the other Elves, Thranduil gave her his blessing. All she was allowed to tell her family and friends was that she was on a secret quest. Lachiel left on bad terms with many of her acquaintances. She told herself it would be worth it in the end.

Application

A bit about me

Hi, I'm Sylvia. Been around the 'Weave on since ~2008 on two other usernames. Been in PbP since like '05 over on GitP, then moved here. When I used to game around the table I was often the forever GM. That's kind of why I sought out MW in the first place, so I could play LOL. I do love to GM though, and am always running at least one thing (lately I'm ramping up efforts on that front).

My knowledge of Middle Earth is limited. I've read The Hobbit, and the Trilogy, but that was back in school. In college I watched the movies a couple times (once back-to-back for a marathon with the extended cuts, so we could go watch the premiere of Return of the King. Geez that was a long day.) I haven't watched those new movies they made with Legolas or the Amazon show (oof, I heard the show is bad).

I have no knowledge of The One Ring, but have played Ironsworn (even attempting to enter the jam this month, if I can get properly inspired). I'm comfortable playing either, I'd say. Wherever you think the character would fit better.

I enjoy primal characters more than refined ones, I think. Peasants, barbarians, tribals, low-tech, druids. I'm not sure why. Nature is beautiful, but I'm on the autism spectrum and find nature to be hella annoying to be IN.

The game

A good PbP game posts often enough to keep people involved, and with more than just a few sentences at a time. At the same time, I don't have all day, and I'd rather not read a novel every time someone posts. (I can be bad about this from time to time, but there's people that just drone on and on about things no character would know about them, every post.) I digress... I like descriptions, but I MUST MUST MUST have player agency. Present me the details of something, and let me react to it; don't say how I feel or act about a thing unless it's involuntary like dodging or something.

I'm easy to please usually, and there's not much I don't like aside from politic-heavy atmospheres.

I love role-playing, but action is pretty great too. I'm willing to do negative things for my character, because they make sense for the narrative. Flawed characters are fun characters.

The pitch

So, I've a soft spot for our fair Elf folk. As in the other thread, I said I'd like to play a Mirkwood Elf. My strongest idea is for a bright-eyed, curious archer that is just as desperate to explore the world at-large, but wraps it into the duty of her people for the future.

I have a second, less-fleshed out idea about a spearman that's more like how you might see a Jedi Sentinel; stoic, proud, has experienced a close loss, profoundly focused on the coming threat of the Shadow. Probably has trouble with vengeance.

Writing Sample

Step by step, Lachiel moved further west through Mirkwood. It felt strange, not only navigating the shadows but leaving the water so far behind. Her mind wandered to the previous week, helping in a trade deal in Esgaroth. She smiled to herself remembering how blustery the Dwarf merchant got. It had turned out to be a misunderstanding by a Human's son.

After the deal, she offered to buy the Dwarf a drink, if he'd share some of his tales. He'd taken her up on it, and regaled her through the afternoon.

That was, until she realized he'd had one too many apparently, and got blustery again with some new sailors just arrived from downriver. She'd been responsible, and so stepped in, only to have to dodge a fist. She'd barely gotten out of the way of a drunken brawl, but her hip was still bruised from the fall she took.

Suddenly Lachiel's attention was drawn back into the moment as movement was heard up ahead. She drew her bow and set about looking for tracks or signs of wildlife.