paladinred

Khu - Usherer of Souls
“The field of reeds is awaiting you my friend, shall I guide you there?”

c42ac0053e248be4c56cc8c53c73ac88.jpg

Race: Tabaxi (reflavour)
Background: Acolyte
Class: Rogue (5) | Subclass: Phantom
Personailty"The dead deserve as much respect as the living."

I believe the spirits pass on messages from beyond, and I look for signs and omens when I make important decisions. I look for balance in life - although I take life, I try to find ways to help life thrive as well.
Ideals"Every job deserves my best."

I have trained hard to excel at what I do. Despite my grisly work, my marks deserve the best I can offer as I take their life.
Bonds"My Sect is my family"

As the youngest child, tradition held that I was given into service at the temple. The holy servants of Anubis became my family and I would do anything for them. One of my sect was murdered, and I seek to avenge him.
Flaws"Practical experience tends to outweigh stuffy book learning"

Although I try to follow orders, I often believe that I know best in how to deal with a situation when out in the real world.

Proficency Bonus +3 | checked-shield.svg AC: 17 | health-normal.svg Max HP: 38 | walking-boot.svg Speed: 30ft, 30ft climbing | awareness.svg PP: 15 | sprint.svg Init: +4 | night-vision.svg Darkvision: 60ft

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
meditation.svg
WISDOM
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
aura.svg
CHARISMA
(-1)
(+4)
(+2)
(+2)
(+1)
(+1)
- 1 STR Save +7 DEX Save + 2 CON Save +2 WIS Save +4 INT Save +1 CHA Save
-1 Athletics

+7 Acrobatics
+7 Sleight
+10 Stealth

+2 A. Handling
+5 Insight
+2 Medicine
+5 Perception
+5 Survival

+1 Arcana
+1 History
+4 Investigation
+1 Nature
+4 Religion

+1 Deception
+1 Intimidation
+1 Performace
+4 Persuasion

About Khu

Khu was the youngest of five siblings in his family. As was tradition for his people, the fifth born was given to the priesthood and Khu was handed to the Temple of Anubis. Growing up in the shaded halls of the Usherer of departed souls, Khu's only family were the other young acolytes and the parental figures of the older priests and officials. The smell of incense and embalming is actually a comfort to him and reminds him of home.

Khu's quick reflexes and quiet way of moving through the shadows allowed him to excel in the less well known sect known as the Guides of the Duat, who are directed to speed certain people's travel towards the final judgement of Anubis. As a young teenager, on one of his first missions, Khu made a mistake that lead to his friend Sekhma's identity to be revealed to a mark. Sekhma was found murdered the following week. It was made to look like an accident, but Khu knew better. Since then he has looked for clues and signs that would allow him to find the killer and avenge his friend. Since that mistake, Khu vowed to never allow himself to slip again and he is his own biggest critic, seeking perfection in everything he does.

Khu is a superstitious person, often interpreting events as signs from spirits he has ushered towards the afterlife, or messages from Anubis himself. Khu tries to interpret these signs and use them as signposts to direct his decisions. When things work out well, this is proof that he was right to do so. When they turn out poorly, Khu simply understands that this was the best outcome of what could have been a worse situation.

The more Khu spends time away from the temple, the more he realises that the old teachings don't quite match up with the messy situations that real life actually presents. As such he has a tendency to stray from his directives at times where he feels he can see a better choice to make. This is especially true if a portent warns against the action. He has been reprimanded for this before, but he can't help but continue to do behave in this way.

Undead are the antithesis of his orders beliefs, who feel that all life should eventually meet Anubis' judgement before passing into the afterlife. Undead are an abomination of this natural process.

Actions

pointy-sword.svg Attacks
Rapier (melee) +8 to hit, 1d8+5 piercing damage
Dagger (melee) +7 to hit, 1d4+4 piercing damage
Shortbow (80/320) +7 to hit, 1d6+4 piercing damage
Hand crossbow (action) (30/120) +8 to hit, 1d6+5 piercing damage, 2d6 acid damage
Claws: (melee) +2 to hit, 1d6-1 slashing damage

run.svg Bonus Actions
Dash, Disengage, Hide

juggler.svg Resources
Wails from the Grave: 3/long rest
Invisibility: 1/long rest
Disguise Self: 1/long rest

Features

mounted-knight.svg Class Features

Expertise
Sneak Attack
Cunning Action
Whispers of the Dead
Wails from the Grave
Uncanny Dodge

stone-crafting.svg Tools
Thieves tools

lips.svg Languages
Common, Elven, Dwarvish, Orcish

battle-gear.svg Weapons & Armours
Armor: light armor
Weapons: simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords

vitruvian-man.svg Feats & Other
Shadow-Touched

ages.svg Racial & Background Features
Cat's claws
Cat's Talent
Darkvision
Feline Agility

Shelter of the Faithful

Equipment

crossed-swords.svgWeapons
Rapier (+1)
Shortbow
2 Daggers
2 Hand crossbows
2 Hand crossbows (+1)+1 attack and damage, deals an extra 2d6 acid damage, this damage cannot be avoided (beats resistance and immunity) and cannot be increased (does not double for a crit).

Two items caught Khu's attention, both were hand crossbows which may suit his preference of striking from afar when he had the opportunity to do so. The first crossbow was made of polished mahogany and brass in clear human design, although the engravings on the brass inlays looked to be from a long fallen nation. Despite its obvious age, the weapon gleamed as if freshly made however there was an ominous aura about the weapon as if it had been used for something awful. Khu turned it over in his hands, checking the balance and finding it suitable. As he did so he reflected that perhaps he could redeem its obviously tainted legacy. "Time for you to do some good," he muttered.

The other crossbow was a different thing altogether. The limb across which the string was pulled taut appeared to be made of some sort of strong but pliable coral, gently pearlescent under the lights of the room. The string itself seemed to be made of some sort of woven seaweed, and the handle and body of organically grown shells. Tiny blue fish scales covered the grip, while a small insignia in mosaic-styled scales branded the item as a weapon once used by some sort of royal guard. As Khu manipulated the weapon, he heard fragments of song on the edge of his hearing in a language he had never before heard.

breastplate.svg Armor
Leather Armour
+1 Studded Leather

orb-wand.svg Magic Items
+1 Rapier
One half of Sending stone

backpack.svg Other Equipment
Burglar's pack
Thieves tools
A holy symbol (a gift to you when you entered the priesthood)
A prayer book or prayer wheel
5 sticks of incense
Vestments
A set of common clothes
A belt pouch containing 15 gp
20 crossbow bolts
crosbow bolt case
cash.svg Treasure
Gold Pieces 15gp
Silver Pieces 0sp

Edited by Spydre (see edit history)

• 1 month later...