General OOC Thread

Whitleyrr

Dalin is (of course) thinking of mechanical means of bringing down the tunnels. It's a society of burgeoning "steam technology"... so figured they might be ways of making big dents in a landscape. Dynamite, she's hoping... @Whitleyrr what do folks use in this world to clear for roads and such?

Also, I realize there might be more investigating that needs done and the number one plan might be to close the rift if they can figure out how. But, she's a practical sort of person and if they can't close it... she'll be pushing to bring the tunnels down as a backup plan.

Another question for Whitlyerr? What are the distances involved through the portal... does it look like it will take an hour, a day or longer for the devli group to reach the portal? Can we have a rough estimate?

I think our next steps might be helped by that rough estimate of time? Knowing if we have minutes, hours or days might make a difference? And, one more question? I don't suppose any of us noticed if the amulet was hanging from Vadim's neck?

Sorry for my absence guys - I'm entering another very busy time in my work and in my home life! I'm afraid my availability will be a bit patchy for the next weeks.

Explosives are certainly present in this world, though rare. It is unlikely any are around in Hethton. One might have to send to Dybeol to obtain them.

As for distances through the portal, whereas once it looked as if the band of devils marching would have reached the portal in less than an hour, the volcanic explosion has delayed them significantly. You might have the better part of a day now. Maybe more, maybe less.

Also, to be clear, the thing you identified as Vadim is certainly him, though he is is a grotesquely different form now. His face is almost the same, but twisted and somehow more true and more beautiful. He should not be thought of as being the same as the man who once worked his wiles in Hethton.

This is also a good place for the chapter break, so I'm going to close down Chapter 2 and then later today hope to open Chapter 3. I'll have some remarks in the rewards thread and some character remarks in your private threads.

Just so we can be on the same page, how should we treat Cordelia's absence? I've seen different games handle it in a few ways, from a plot device like "she's no fighter and stay with Lady Ittia" or "she's run off to warn the next community", to the group having magical amnesia, to plenty of other solutions.

Also said, love the set up for Chapter 3. Will take some time to think of an appropriate response.

Definitely a third arc vibe!

I'd be keen for Cordelia's absence not to be magical amnesia, simply because of the impact I've so far written her into having on Alban. Given her fear of violence oft mentioned however, fleeing the town seems both in character and appropriate way of writing out, otherwise it's slightly artificial that the group - and Alban in particular, never interacts with her again.

I’m not in favor of magical amnesia either, especially given the impact she had on the game. I can see her learning something about what was going on (while you all where down below) and returning to her former employer to implore their aid. (I also secretly keep hoping @Karma Kameleon shows back up sometime!)

Here I am stuck on which one 3rd level spell to pick! There's so many that fit with Alban's Illusion/Shadow/Cold theme: Hypnotic Pattern, Fear, Enemies Abound, Major Image, Sleet Storm, Slow. Not to mention the generic magical counter spell and dispel magic. I'm trying to think which similar things he might have been exposed to in story which would drive the understanding/development of such a spell as well.

I am going to have Ren pick Dispel Magic and Spirit Guardians as her two, then she gets Vampiric Touch and Revivify as her two domain spells, if that helps you any, @PureChance

Though with this game focusing more on the writing than game mechanics, I have no idea what I’m supposed to do about the 300 GP diamond normally needed for Revivify. She doesn’t have quite enough gold to get one. I don’t want to be dishonest, but I also don’t feel like I have a very good sense for which game details I can just hand-wave.

I actually struggled more with picking which level 1 & 2 spells to prep for what seems like our quite scary upcoming battle. I’ve no idea yet what my first chapter 3 post is going to be about.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

I imagine finding someone to sell an expensive diamond in the small town might be more difficult than gathering gold to do so. Given clerics can change their spells daily the pick is much less important in niche use. Certainly given the portal we've seen, it makes sense that she'd prepare dispel magic for today (whether it will work or not is a different story, OOC I suspect it won't be that simple).

If there is a diamond of that value within the town, rental might be an option ? I can't recall if it's consumed in the casting of revivify. Or perhaps a promisary note underscored by either her noble status and family's name, or by the church?

I'm wanting to pick something thematic, and that Alban would likely have use for our in the wider world when apart from his current companions of circumstance. I feel like Fear, Enemies Abound and Major Image are the current frontrunners

I’ve never been a huge fan of material components - you may dispense with the diamond requirement if that’s the spell you want, tbgg.

If it were a video game and we were running sound collecting material components all the time, fine. But I don’t want to keep track of all that!