Chapter 1: A Noisome Scandal

Whitleyrr

Alyssia spacer.png

Tending the man's arm had not proven any great delay. Whilst gruesome to those not use to things with time and rest all would be well enough again. A few words of prayer, a quick instruction on which herbs the books said would prove effacious, and Alyssia was on her way again. Making her way to the inn she felt her spirits rise a bit, it did feel rather nice to help people out.

Entering the inn and ascertaining the quarters situation Alyssia had a quick bath to refresh herself and joined the group of her comrades discussing the local hero and his supposed relations.

"Aye nosing in to such personal matters unless asked rarely ends well," Alyssia said joining the conversation, "Still someone who's been on campaign is more likely to have picked up an oddity or two. At least next a farmer who's minded fields their entire life."

Still that couldn't be all they do, just chasing after the first bit of gossip to cross their ears.

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

AC: 14 | HP: 45/46 | Rages: 2/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

"I know a squirrelly farmer or two back home too." Dalin grinned briefly. "But, I've got the same thoughts. I don't like poking into folks business unless there's real call to." Dalin squirmed a moment in her chair then continued. "Trouble is... I don't know how we're supposed to find what we're looking for without doing some poking."

"Does anybody have an idea? Magicks for finding things or... something like that?"

"We might have a chance tomorrow... lots of folks will be out and about. I don't know if anyone would be wearing it... but it might be a day for dressing up proper. A lot of homes will be empty too. But, this place is a lot bigger than I was expecting, a lot more people, so unless the thing somehow talks to us, or is in plain view draped on someone's neck... I dunno what we're going to do."

Dalin paused. "Speaking of dressing up, does any body here know how to sew?"

Edited by ariel (see edit history)

Time enough for a draught or two of cider to be quaffed passed and the companions spoke amiably about their mission and what they learned. Two things seemed certain: the festival that began tomorrow night would be a big deal, and the town’s “first couple” were experiencing some difficulty. It didn’t take a genius to discern said difficulty could impact any festivities, but the counter argument was equally as valid: who’d let a little marital squabble get in the way of a much-anticipated party? Time would, of course, tell.

The food was delivered by the boy who apparently also functioned as waiter for Della. It was simple, but hearty; rustic and yet flavorful. A meat and vegetable stew in a deep brown sauce was ladled over warm, fresh bread. A bowl of berries and cream was brought as well, tantalizing them to move straight to dessert.

A short time after they found the bottom of the berry bowl, the door to the tavern opened and a fairly boisterous group of men and women walked in. Clearly, they had seen fit to begin the festivities early. As they moved into the space the six or seven young people were like a cyclone, all revolving around one man. All were pretty and pleasantly attired, but none more so than the man in the center of all. His face defied age, his dark eyes twinkled with joy and something else. His hair swept back from his forehead and across his shoulders in a carefree way, as if blown by an unseen wind. He was gorgeous, and his easy smile and confident laughter only added to the charm. The others around him, men and women both, hung on his every word and more often than not on his person as well. The men strove to share in his glory and the women vied for his gaze. They settled at a table on the opposite side of the room from the companions and slowed their mirth only long enough to call for a round of ciders and snacks. The others in the tavern could hardly tear their eyes from this group, but whether in admiration or annoyance it was strangely hard to tell. Perhaps it could best be described as jealousy, an unrequited desire to be among them. Something about that didn’t sit right with the companions, but individually they could not determine why that was or even if it was important. The very air was suddenly charged and magical. Surely, this was the cheer of Hearthshome.

Perception ChecksPlease roll a DC 16 perception check before making your next post. Female characters may do so with advantage.

Edited by Whitleyrr (see edit history)

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpgCordelia Nightshade

Cordelia frowned in disappointment when the others didn't entertain her request for details, "Oh that's no fun!" she waved her hand dismissively, "I too have no interest in meddling in personal affairs, I was merely looking to draw inspiration for my next tale - a veteran of war turned influential figure holding more command than the mayor, it is most fascinating! You'd be surprised by how much information people will eagerly spill when presented with the prospect of being the protagonist to a story or poem. Secretly, everyone wants their moment of fame and glory." she finished with a smirk.

To Dalin's call for idea's on how to find the Amulet, Cordelia frowned, "I'm sorry, I do not hold such magic - However, Alistair suggested that the amulet could be a family heirloom correct? If it is the case, a prized and sentimental item such as this would likely be mentioned in a family testament." she paused for a moment, evaluating the tone in which she should proceed with as she didn't want to appear as pompous among her peers, "With my credentials and some sweetened words, I should be granted access to such documents easily enough. 'Tis why I hope to speak more with the mayor. Though, I fear that it may not be the most optimal way to find the owners of the item. The town is larger than I expected, so it will take us a long while to comb through all the documents. But, IF we are lucky, the notary could remember having notarized such a unique and particular item." she paused and waited to see the reaction of the others, "Otherwise, what are your suggestions?"

As the group of younger folk entered, she could not help but observe them, their entrance had caused the inn to roar back to life. Like the others, her eyes naturally gravitated towards the charismatic, dreamy haired man who capitvated the entire room. There was no doubt that his appearance was well above average to most men and she found herself having difficulty averting her gaze. It had been a long time since she had been mesmerized by a man and had almost forgotten what it felt like. In that moment, she felt flustered and even longed to meet him and get to know him personally. Finally prying her eyes off of him, she instinctively scanned the occupants of the room and evaluated her competition for the man's attention. Almost everyone in the vicinity seemed to be just as enthralled as she herself was. Though oddly, the innkeeper Della, was instead looking rather displeased and annoyed by the dreamy man's presence which was rather curious.

Edited by Karma Kameleon (see edit history)

Alyssia spacer.png

Alyssia considered Dalin's question. The divine arts carried magic that could locate mystic auras but the Foresters could spend only a little time contemplating such mysteries, Alyssia's own talents would be exhausted quickly searching the town so, but perhaps one of the others was more rigorous in their magical studies? She had thought to search the town via more mundane means first, she herself would start with any shrines about and pay her respects. As for what she could do now...

"Actually I can sow..." Alyssia said almost sheepishly, "It saves you from going through pants quite so quickly on campaign, though I've never done fancy work, I doubt the highest court fashions have filtered down to this village."

Speaking of going through pants, Alyssia felt her eyes being drawn across the room. There was a rather strapping young lad with a gaggle of young women about him. And no wonder that, there'd been a time and place she would have love to corner such a treat in a tavern not unlike the one she was in now. Now though it made her all rather suspicious, many men dreamed they could gather themselves such a harem but few had ever succeeded. And Alyssia could remember the way cold dead eyes had once force their way inside her will and twisted themselves into being friendly. It was not a pleasant thought.

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 1/1 

Alban savoured the story of suspected scandal almost as much as the food - despite other shortcomings it seemed small town drama retained all the same excitement as the city. Full enjoyment was curtailed unfortunately - the only other guest equally interested was Cordelia who lacked the same details as he.

He pushed his empty bowl to join the others stacked at centre of the table as he leaned back in his chair, slaking his thirst with the cider. "My talent tends towards obfuscation rather than divination," he apologised to Dalin, "perhaps a product of its origin. So it looks to me like Cordelia's idea is the best place to start." He trusted it was obvious he could not sew. Alyssa besides had already volunteered to cover as such. Although he had thought Dalin's clothes in fairly good repair.

With a quick smile he continued "Though I would not discount entertaining Lady Fortune - perhaps our prize will be in plain sight at the festival. It is after all kind of event that brings out people finery. If not, perhaps a thorough inspection of the other ladies boudoirs."

As if on preternatural cue, summoned by thoughts of seduction, a darkly handsome young man entered. Another of the towns pivotal players it seemed - popular and carefree. The man's easy confidence reminded Alban of someone used to getting whatever they wanted, the question was whether or not they deserved it he supposed. 'Ah, but not popular with everyone!' he realised, tracing Cordelia's gaze to the frowning face of Della. Perhaps he would get some juicy gossip to follow the evenings earlier amuse-bouche of scandal yet.

Alban unfolded himself from the chair and picked his way across the room, sticking to the outer edges of the newcomers orbit, until he found himself back at the bar. "Busy evening it seems," he drew Della's attention back, "This town seems to have quite a few local names hmm? Between Uriah and whoever that is, I mean. Along with whoever else I've yet to meet. Surely such a crowd is good for business?" he asked, trying to coax some information from their proprietress.

OOC

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 3

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of PrivilegeThanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
 11 DexSave +4
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +4 | Stealth +6*
18 ConSave +5*
No skills associated.
 16 IntSave +1
Arcana +3* | History +3* | Investigation +1 | Nature +1 | Religion +1
12 WisSave +1
Animal Handling +1 | Insight +1 | Medicine +1 | Perception +1 | Survival +1
 12 ChaSave +6*
Deception +6* | Intimidation +4 | Performance +4 | Persuasion +6*

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +6 | Spell Save DC 14 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 2/2

Sorcery PointsSubtle Spell - 1 point
Extended Spell - 1 point
3/3

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC14 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC14 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• ShieldAn invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile. [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

Dalin was leaning back in her chair, twisting to get a glimpse of the group that just came in. She rocked hard, almost falling, but slammed a hand on the table to catch herself. She righted her chair and said. "Not my typical go to... but a pretty thing, yes?"

The dwarf ran a thick palm through her white hair, pushing back some loose tendrils with little regard to where they landed. "I don't know much about such documents, but Cordelia's idea seems to stand on legs. I might have a couple of tricks too, to help keep an eye on people tomorrow, to look for the thing. Not the most reliable tricks, but I can try." She paused, obviously thinking. Dogs? Pigeons? Yah, pigeons might work... Absentmindedly, Dalin took a couple of rolls off the table and shoved them into a pocket.

With Alyssia's admission of a sewing abilty, Dalin smiled broadly at her. "Ah, that's great. I got a project upstairs. Maybe you can help me get started sometime?" The dwarf was equally pleased to have found some shared task with the forester as having found someone to help her sew.
Edited by ariel
Just clarifying that Dalin didn't want to sew right now... :) (see edit history)

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 26/26 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

Jozelle's eyes shift around, noticing Della's displeaure, but Alban is already taking care of it. It left time for Jozelle to weigh and consider what was in front of her. Love, romance, passion... such things rarely concerned Jozelle in the way it did for others. Still, memories begin to draw forth and there's a slight tremor in hand as she takes a drink before setting it down and closing her eyes.

"He is as honey is to bees. Beauty and confidence together is a most intriguing pair." She says out what others may be thinking, not hiding that the man being fawned over is indeed intriguing.

The smallest sight as she looks down the the table. "It would seem if Alyssia and Dalin are to work on sewing, I believe that makes your room full, Cordelia. I will rest with the good Lord Stuart and Drench." If she's at all shy about the prospect, she doesn't show it.

"No fun..." Jozelle considers Cordelia's earlier words out loud. "...perhaps it is more fun to open one's interest, one's heart, one's hopes to small things. I think I will try."

Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 3/3d8

Alyssia's offering to Dalin surprised Cordelia, she hadn't expected the Forester's hidden talents. Smiling pleasantly towards the two women she said, "I have never sewn before, but I am certain that making a dress before tomorrow evening will be quite the challenge! Alyssia, I am willing to learn if you will teach me. It will be a pleasure to assist you both in any way I can!" she leaned towards Dalin and spoke to her in dwarven.First off, I apologize in advance for my lack of skill. And second, No matter how good or bad the dress turns out, I'm certain you will look radiant! The fabric you chose is absolutely gorgeous and will suit your skin tone and hair color perfectly.

Your magnificent sense of taste and style impress me!

As her gaze drifted back to their table, it was abundantly clear that all the ladies of their group felt the same attraction to the dazzling man who made a grand entrance. The impending feeling of guilt was the only thing restraining Cordelia's urge to unabashedly go introduce herself. In reality, Cordelia was unable to bring herself to make the first move with any man she had attraction for. She had reciprocated flirtation and flattery with a few select men since Zachary's passing, and this was only when the men had made the first move. She felt that if she were to pursue a man first, it would be like turning the final page in the tale of her love with her darling Zachary.

Cordelia sighed, leaned back in her chair and took a long draw from her cider. She shifted her focus back to the group while trying her best to avert her gaze from the man and his harem. With Alban and Dalin in agreement with her proposed idea, Cordelia continued, "I had a realization. Hethton's Record Office may be closed due to the Hearthsome Festival. It is unclear whether businesses will remain open or not in the upcoming days. So my plan may just become more so an alternative should we not find the artifact before the festival's end." she frowned slightly at the thought of having to stay here longer than a few days.

Jozelle's comment refering to her earlier comment perked her right up, she gave the delicate woman a broad smile, "I think you will be pleasantly surprised once you do."

• 2 weeks later...

Ciders were delivered to the rowdy table of young revelers and the general mirth in the tavern room rose in response. There was no doubt that whoever this young man was, that he was easy to like, carefree, and fun. He deposited more than enough coins in the bar maid’s hand—his soft fingers lingering in their touch of hers, his smoldering eyes locked on hers—and so it seemed he was also free with his coin.

Della tore her disapproving glare from the young man when Alban spoke to her. “Oh, ay, good for business, sure. You’re new here, so let me pass on a word of advice. Not everything that’s good for business is good for Hethton, and that man is the walking example of such, mark my words…I shouldn't say more, though. Not my place." Alban, however, held Della with his interested gaze for a moment longer than was comfortable for her. "It's written on my face, isn't it? My distaste for Vadim. Oh, what the hell. Everyone here knows anyway, so you're bound to find out. It's the worst kept secret in Hethton. That man there," she made a small, accusatory gesture towards the rake, "seduced Lady Bathea Ittia, made a cuckold out of our own Captain Uriah. He's much too proud to admit it in public. Uriah'd rather go on as if nothing happened, or isn't still happening for that matter. But I don't know how much longer that can last." She paused, frustrated, as if she were a teacher and the simplest thing were escaping her pupil. "And the thing of it is, everyone here is just enamored with Vadim. They think he's just the greatest thing. I mean, look at him, every bright flower of this Hethon generation is hanging on him like he was their savior. Vadim King." She spat behind her bar. "He's not good for this town, mark my words. I almost wish Uriah would call him out and put an end to it." Alban recognized that when she said put an end to it, that she'd be just as happy if Uriah put an end to Vadim.

Edited by Whitleyrr (see edit history)

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

With a uncontained and enthusiastic chuckle, Dalin responded to Cordelia's flattery in a good-natured toneThe butter on the bread you're serving me is a bit thick, no? But it is tasty! I haven't been called radiant since... well, ever. The fabric is pretty though..

In common, she spoke to Alyssia. "Anyway, it doesn't have to be a dress and doesn't have to be done soon... if it turns out a bathrobe, I'll be happy enough. I'd appreciate the help if you can help me with my stumble thumbs." The wiggled her thick fingers and if noticing her hand was empty, reached for her cider.

Looking to Jozelle, "Honey to bees, eh?" She looked around the table appraisingly. "I think the garden at this table is in full of flowers... and y'all have the advantage of being new blooms in town.

Let's buy him a drink, yes?" If not interrupted, Dalin will summon a server and order a pitcher of cider for the attractive man's table.

While Alban questioned Della, Dalin summoned the bar maid and ordered a pitcher of cider for the raucous group on the other side of the tavern. The bar maid shrugged, “No problem. Your coin,” and shuffled off to pour the pitcher. When she plunked it down on their table, a cheer went up. The man in the center of all looked around when the bar maid whispered something to him, his left hand sliding down her hip to rest familiarly on her behind. She grinned at him, her eyes rolling in a mixture that was more pleasure than annoyance. Then she gestured towards Dalin and the man’s eyes cast their gaze to the Dwarf. They sparkled in the low firelight as a warm feeling spread through Dalin from within. He smiled at her as if she were the morning sun and mouthed exaggeratedly through sensuous lips, Thank you. His gaze lingered over her form a bit longer before he turned back to the baubles already collected at his table, his one arm around another young woman already, even as his other hand was slapping one of the guys on the back in mutual congratulations of their good fortune.

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 1/1 

Alban listened intently as his dangled silence drew stories from the owner, nodding in sympathy of her plight. "I know too well of ill-placed praise," he agreed, "unfortunately common amongst some of my peers." The fact he had considered as such himself was, of course, not relevant to Della; a lifetime of experience hid the hypocrisy even from his own mind. A thought flitted across his mind as his surveyed the bar, noting with surprise that already some of his own companions had begun to be drawn to Vadim's flame. "Odd, though, isn't it?" he probed, "I would have thought him shunned with such a secret in the open, given the respect Captain Uriah draws. Has he always been as charismatic? Was he popular as a child?" It would be interesting, Alban thought, to see where such a man spends his nights. Clearly Lady Ittia and Vadim would have to meet somewhere, and he touted it would be either of their residences. Perhaps a distraction from the locket, but it wasn't as if anything would come of Cordelia's plan till morning anyway.

OOC

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 3

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of PrivilegeThanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

StrSave +0
Athletics +0
 11 DexSave +4
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +4 | Stealth +6*
18 ConSave +5*
No skills associated.
 16 IntSave +1
Arcana +3* | History +3* | Investigation +1 | Nature +1 | Religion +1
12 WisSave +1
Animal Handling +1 | Insight +1 | Medicine +1 | Perception +1 | Survival +1
 12 ChaSave +6*
Deception +6* | Intimidation +4 | Performance +4 | Persuasion +6*

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +6 | Spell Save DC 14 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 2/2

Sorcery PointsSubtle Spell - 1 point
Extended Spell - 1 point
3/3

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC14 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC14 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• ShieldAn invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile. [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Cordelia smiled at Dalin's compliment but sat back in her chair with her arms crossed and a slightly disgusted expression on her face as she mumbled to herself through pursed lips, ''Honey to bees? More so a flame to a swarm of moths...'' After observing the man for only a few minutes, she understood what type of man he was and completely lost all sparked interest. He treated women just as she treated fine wine, wanting to sample all the flavors of the world. She knew that such a man was only ever fun for one evening, and had more self worth than to become an other notch in his belt.

She couldn't help but give a discouraged sigh when Dalin bought the man and his group a round of drinks. In her opinion, he needed was a hefty dose of humility, not more encouragement to keep acting like the philanderer he was. She kept her back turned to the man and his harem, deciding she would not give them the attention they sought.

Her gaze shifted towards Alban who was having a conversation with Della and she couldn't help but wonder what they were talking about. She wanted to join him, but didn't want to hinder Alban's effort by interupting. Hopefully he was getting all the juicy details and would relay them to her later. For now, she sipped on her cider patiently, ''I suddenly feel in need of fresh air... I haven't had the occasion to explore the village since our arrival so I may go for a stroll if any of you wish to join me.'' she said while glancing back towards the door.

"Was he popular as a child?" Della repeated. "Wouldn't know - the snake only slithered into town a little after last year's Hearthshome." She took a rag to a glass as if it had personally offended her with its uncleanliness. "As for where he sleeps, just ask any of them," she said, indicating the woman surrounding Vadim, "surely they know. He's got a house somewhere in town, though I've never known where nor do I care to."