Any Interest?: Surreal Lovecraftian Comedy Antics combined with Beach Drama

Tavanesh

Greetings!

I'll cut to the chase.
A little over a week ago, I posted an advertisement for a new game utilizing a newly published zine by Jesse Ross entitled R'lyehwatch, a rules-light roleplaying game of lifeguards saving their beach from elder gods and otherworldly monstrosities. My intention with the system and the setting was to combine campy melodrama with a dash of cosmic and gothic horror, with a vibe more close to dark humor than cerebral terror, (but it still might get, dare I say, spooky at times). It will be a little surreal, a little odd, a little goofy.

So far, this has garnered no interest and no applications. I wanted to extend the visibility a bit by posting here, but also poll those who might have seen the ad and moved past it as to why they passed it up.

Let me know if this idea appeals to anyone or if any deviations would spark greater interest!

It's a very "out there" concept. I'm usually for stuff like this, but I just can't imagine how I'd play this.

Horror-Comedy just... doesn't appeal to me. It needs to be one or the other to maintain it's impact. Otherwise, you just get Scooby Doo goofiness. That's fine, but not something I can take serious or really get invested in. Also, never liked Baywatch (I'll take Knight Rider instead for my Hasselhof).

28 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

It's a very "out there" concept. I'm usually for stuff like this, but I just can't imagine how I'd play this.

Horror-Comedy just... doesn't appeal to me. It needs to be one or the other to maintain it's impact. Otherwise, you just get Scooby Doo goofiness. That's fine, but not something I can take serious or really get invested in. Also, never liked Baywatch (I'll take Knight Rider instead for my Hasselhof).

Riffing on your thoughts, my character is going to be an expy of Michael Knight. I'll call him.....Michael Bishop. He works for a private foundation that seeks truth and justice. He has a speedboat that operates independently using artificial intelligence.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:04 PM, RedMax said:

This sounds cool. I am interested. 🙂

I hope we can draw in some talented comedy writers/rpgers!

What do you think, people? Do you have the chops for comedy?

Glad to hear it! Feel free to hop into the forum and take a look around.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:34 PM, Malkavian Grin said:

That is absolutely fair. The concept is very much “out there.” I will say, we will be leaning way more into the comedy than the horror. It’s more satirical and not meant to be taken super seriously, which is why I intend for it to be a rather short adventure as well.

Also, I’m not really a fan of Baywatch either, but I love the juxtaposition of the two settings. We will be leaning more into approaching eldritch horror from a silly perspective than on being true to the Baywatch series.

However, if that still doesn’t appeal to you than I absolutely understand. This whole endeavor is much more of an acquired taste, so no hard feelings! In fact, I greatly appreciate you weighing in! It helps me better explain and develop the concept.

23 hours ago, RedMax said:

I was imagining something like Evil Dead 2 crossed with (any British comedy) crossed with Baywatch crossed with Call of Cthulhu.

What could possibly go worng?

I would definitely say that there is some Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness vibes! More ridiculous “horror” that ends up being cheesy and comedic.

23 hours ago, RedMax said:

Riffing on your thoughts, my character is going to be an expy of Michael Knight. I'll call him.....Michael Bishop. He works for a private foundation that seeks truth and justice. He has a speedboat that operates independently using artificial intelligence.

HAHA! Fun concept, but don’t get too ahead of yourself. If we get a large enough group together, we’ll be making characters together.

• 3 weeks later...