BLOOD IS FUEL - The Vaults of Torment - [part 1]

spacer.png

The woman slowly stands, ensuring her mask stays in place. "Simma down Drama Mama. I'm just a girl, like you, trying to stay alive in this gawdz forsaken place."  She adjusts her pack, making sure she has everything she should, and looks around inspecting the new people she is likely to die with.

"That," she points at the yellow pool, "is what the group I was dropped down here with thought might be a portal. Some went in and disappeared. Whether it is a portal and they escaped to another fate I do not know. It might have just melted them. And that," she points at the orange glow, "turns people into monsters. It turned Daaru into one after his curiosity overwhelmed him and he touched it. Killed everyone who hadn't gone into the pool yet. I ran and hid, watching. It finished eating Vemut and then went back into the orange glow as if a door. Maybe it won't work again. But I'm not trying it."

She turns to the boy with the rat. "They did, but monster tossed all of their stuff into the alcoves so there should be something useful. But I just got here myself so I'm not sure. But like you all I am sure, I want to get out of here."

E7Agrx6sCd1nIs2fDwkH--2--axy48.jpg.93c0a288e68766256557331849eedb10.jpgTizian listened intently to the masked woman's grim tale of her group's fate, her words sending a chill down his spine. The mention of Daaru's transformation into a monstrous entity after touching the well confirmed the danger that lurked within.

His suspicions regarding the scratch marks now had a sinister explanation, and his sense of caution deepened. Tizian turned to his companions, conveying the urgency of the situation. "Gather whatever you can from this hallway, and let's store it in Vandøger's wagon," he advised, his tone firm but concerned. "And remember, avoid that well at all costs. We've seen enough to know that some risks are not worth taking."

As the group began to collect supplies and salvage what they could from the alcoves, Tizian turned his attention back to the masked woman, his sense of security compelled him to seek more information. "What's your name, girl?" he inquired again, his voice softer now, carrying a note of empathy. "And tell me, are you skilled in a fight? We may need all the help we can get in this forsaken place."

spacer.pngUnlike Tizian, Urminor seemed to relax more as the grim story was being told. He gave the golden pool a long look - another way out, whether the real one or just a clean death was worth noting. The orange glow was more questionable but still interesting.

"Did you see Daaru transforming? Could that be some kind of exchange - a human gets inside then the monster from the other side comes through? Not that it matters much, of course." If that was the case, that would mean there is something on the other side, some space. Full of monsters. OR anyone coming through would become a monster? Not the worst outcome either, considering their own fate. He said as much out loud. "Turning into a monster might be better than rotting from the inside out and falling apart."

The orange glow was not out ruled either. Urminor watched Pembruk scarring around alcoves and only checked those that were first checked by the rat, occasionally calling Pembruk back and asking about his findings.

Vardøger den Visitant - Pale One

spacer.pngArmorProtection: -d2
Type/Tier: Light/1
"Gambeson"
HP: 1/1 (2) | AbilitiesAgility: +3
Strength: -1
Toughness: -2
Presence: +1
| OmensCurrent: 1/2
Reset: d4
|PowersPower name: Palms Open the Southern Gate
Category: Unclean
Effect(s): A ball of fire hits d2 creatures dealing d8 damage per creature.
Uses: (d4 + PR). Current Day Remaining: 1/3
Reset: Dusk
| Skills1. Skill name: Acrobatics
Category: Worldly
Effect(s): You can jump farther and higher; falling down a roof or cliff is seldom deadly. Squeezing out of cuffs or iron maidens is no real challenge either. Balancing on a rope? Child’s play. You also earn an absurd amount of silver performing exotic dances. GM (add): I'll rule that taking both will cause synergy. You make Agility tests involving acrobatic movements at a +2.

| Features1. Melee ability name: Push
Effect(s): When without weapon, you still have your mind. Instead of an unarmed attack, test Presence DR14 to force intrusive thoughts on a sentient creature. It hurts (d3) you both, but twice as much to them.

2. Class ability name: Blessing (choose)
Effect(s): Digitigrade Limbs: You escape any bindings and fit through tiny spaces. -4 DR to tests involving flexibility.
| Carry: 7 |

Despite - or maybe because of - the other's disquiet and Qillnatch's story, Vardøger continues to feel an odd compulsion regarding the Circle.

Rationally, this gate or magical circle seemed best avoided. And ... yet. He just wasn't certain whether it was a wish for self-annihilation; a loss of hope and an end to what was happening inside; or some other ... Calling.

OOC

E7Agrx6sCd1nIs2fDwkH--2--axy48.jpg.93c0a288e68766256557331849eedb10.jpg"Qillnach," Tizian repeated, committing her name to memory. "It's good to have someone with your skills among us. Sneaking can be just as valuable as brawn in these dark times. Keep your eyes sharp, and if we need you to scout ahead quietly, we'll certainly call upon your talents."

Tizian regarded the princeling with a hint of cynicism, seeing in him the innocence of youth amidst the harsh realities. "Well, princeling," he replied with a touch of world-weariness, "sometimes we all make choices in this wretched place, but none of them come without their own brand of torment. Just remember, even monsters have their own demons to wrestle."

"Demons? What demons?", the wolf asked puzzled. It turned in Tizian as if the intertwined soul turned its head in search for an interloper. Perhaps to consume, Tizian didn't really know and cared even less. Instead he started to scavenge what was salvageable in the alcoves.

Edited by XQbitor (see edit history)

"Okay then!" Trill said, triumphantly from behind his lantern of safety. He even pumped a fist in the air. "Uh, sorry," he immediately apologized and shrank away.

"Wut? That's just one more mouth to feed, and I'm always so hungry..." Helza complained, staying behind but within ten feet of Tizian at all times.

"Good! As has been said, a good scout means better eyes to catch danger with. A welcome addition. Unlike these... others... I have a modicum of manners. Dirgo, at your service, m'lady." It was unclear if he was being insincere or if he'd just taken it too far. He did at least bow with his one arm sweeping his midsection.

Katla, a once-majestic woman in a slightly torn silk dress beneath bundles of fur here and there, stared on at the introductions, taking particular note of Dirgo. At her hip was an extremely well-made looking sword in an expensive scabbard.

Poltroon, a jester in a mask and hat with bells, pulled out a flute and began to play a slow but uplifting tune in major keys.

"Would you just... for five... minutes...just...UGH!" Katla complained, crossing her arms.

The group began scavenging, with everyone pitching in to not make the endeavor take long. Vardøger was the only one to abstain from searching, staring on at the orange glow and the meaning of the words.

Before the Pale One could contemplate touching it, a sound from one of the alcoves put pause in everyone. It was a low noise and short. Orph the mule bayed a little and took a step back.

spacer.pngEventually as it got louder, it was obvious why the sound was familiar--a wild pig or boar snorting as it sniffed the air. Pushing debris out of its way from an alcove to Vardøger's left (lower-right on map) came the beast, slowing trotting up to the Pale One as if it were completely natural. It sniffed at his pants, then his hand, and finally pressed its nose into his leg.

Then came the sound of several other boars, roaming out from the innards of the alcoves, pushing their way out of unseen holes and shifting trash to the side. A total of five boars now accompanied the team, all sniffing and generally seeming friendly. The whole thing was out-of-place for certain.

OOC

So. Pigs. Blame the dice, not me.

Your scrounge was a 4, meaning an ambush. I rolled Cave Hog on the chart. But I didn't know if it would be aggressive or not. So I rolled for Reaction; and 11. The pigs are actually helpful.

spacer.pngUrminor glanced at Tizian, at his remark about daemons of the monsters, and immediately looked away. "I would not know." He did not elaborate but returned to careful checking of alcoves.

The sudden burst of creatures startled Urm but the next moment the boy jumped back readying his new sword. He did not lower it when the noisy creatures appeared to be wild boars and made another step back.

"Do... do you all see it too? Are these ... boars?"

He was kind of ready to meet daemons (as much as one can be ready to meet a daemon) but the wild pigs?! "Dangerous prey even if only boars," explained Urminor his caution. "But ... how?! Are those alcoves some kind of gates to... somewhere?"

He whistled softly, calling Pembruk back. Hopefully, the rat could have found something about those alcoves.

"Gambeson"
Effect(s): You can jump farther and higher; falling down a roof or cliff is seldom deadly. Squeezing out of cuffs or iron maidens is no real challenge either. Balancing on a rope? Child’s play. You also earn an absurd amount of silver performing exotic dances. GM (add): I'll rule that taking both will cause synergy. You make Agility tests involving acrobatic movements at a +2.

Effect(s): When without weapon, you still have your mind. Instead of an unarmed attack, test Presence DR14 to force intrusive thoughts on a sentient creature. It hurts (d3) you both, but twice as much to them.

Effect(s): Digitigrade Limbs: You escape any bindings and fit through tiny spaces. -4 DR to tests involving flexibility.

Vardøger might almost have smiled. He liked animals ... unlike those angry spirits within trees. He scratched one of the boars behind its ears - Orph's favorite spot - and wondered whether this intervention was timely in distracting him from the oddly alluring area of power.

See OOC:

OOC

Do the boars seem to show any cognizance of the light/symbols? Do they act skittish; curious; or ... ?

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

E7Agrx6sCd1nIs2fDwkH--2--axy48.jpg.93c0a288e68766256557331849eedb10.jpgThe unexpected appearance of the cave pigs amidst the scavenging group was a bizarre and surreal twist in their journey through the dark, foreboding halls. Vandøger, initially taken aback by the gentle nudge from the first cave pig's snout, quickly realized that these creatures were not a threat.

As the hallway filled with five more cave pigs, their grunts and squeals reverberating through the stone corridor, Tizian couldn't help but crack a bemused smile. "Well, now," Tizian remarked, his cynicism momentarily giving way to amusement, "it seems we've acquired some unexpected companions on our journey. Perhaps these little ones can scrounge up some hidden treasures of their own."

"Food! A feast!" the wolf shouted so loud it formed as a whisper from Tizian's lips. Saliva almost foamed uncontrollably from his mouth, making the beard on his chin slick with mouth watering. Tizian cussed under his breath and wiped the excess with his sleeve.

As the cave pigs, in their comical innocence, went about their business, foraging for whatever sustenance they could find amidst the debris of the alcoves, Tizian approached Vandøger. His demeanor had changed to a more serious mien and his voice was kept low. "Vandøger, can we talk about the significance of this place?"

The conversation continued under the loud grunts and squeals from the pigs.

Edited by XQbitor (see edit history)

"Gambeson"

"Vardøger, can we talk about the significance of this place?"

Of course. I am pondering the possible double meaning of the symbols. Death and Rebirth. Feasting. It could be metaphorical. It could be a test of willpower ... a judgement of sorts. I am curious as to whether similar ... ah ... structures might be found in the other corridors or whether this is unique.

Perhaps most of the group can proceed to explore in other directions whilst you and, Helza here ... or Her Majesty provide a rear guard lest the portal is still active?

OOC

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

spacer.pngUnder her mask, Qillnach licks her devastated lips at the thought of meat, for the first time in a long time. Gazing at the pigs, she says, "Perhaps they in their ranging know a way out. We should stay with them. Natural creatures down here should surely know where food and water, and possibly open air is."

Urm's little rat had delved deeply into the piles of refuse, emerging moments before the cave pigs to scurry back up his master to a safer height. Coming to rest on his shoulder, Pembruk began squeaking at his master who seemed to be listening. Were they talking?

The pigs continued to roam around the area, snorting and sniffing at the ground. They seemed content and unbothered by the room, all things considering. They paid no mind to the glowing circle, seemingly knowing to stay back from it, but not in a fearful way--it simply wasn't food.

Tizian walked close to Vandøger and the two seemed to speak in a low volume about something. Katla, in particular, watched on with interest as her eyes burned a hole in Tizian's back.

As their discreet conversion ended, Tizian sent a quiet nod of acknowledgement to Vandøger before leaving him to his own. As he turned around, he noticed Queen Katla's intense glare. In response he sent her a chilling smile.

"Your highness, you seem to be in bad spirits", he said as he approached her. "What is it this time? Has Paltoon sung too many false tunes without considering her highness' well-being or does the smell of our unexpected visitors offend her highness' nose? Whatever it may be, I'm all ears."