BLOOD IS FUEL - The Vaults of Torment - [part 1]

OOC

Anyone may test Presence DR10 to have heard a rumor that there was in fact some kind of royalty on the eastern edge of Lake Onda, whom claimed rightful rulership of Wästland. If you get 12 or more, you also know the general populace doesn't care; all royalty seems corrupt.

Urminor automatically knows of this, due to his background.

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe Queen's gaze fixated first on Urminor, nearest as he was to her. Quickly she found him nonthreatening. Her eyes then moved to Vardøger whom was the first to speak.

"This one?" she repeated, rolling her eyes. "I care not for the name of your...beast. Unless it can talk..." she added with a pause and raised eyebrow.

"That would be highly unusual, my Queen," the jester said, eyeing the mule.

She watched him move to the cart and equip himself with a weapon while Tizian spoke next.

"Well, then it seems I've nothing to fear from you--for the moment," the woman said. She walked past Urminor, the cart, and Vardøger with a kind of grace to her steps. Clearly she was putting on a show for the world to watch. On her belt hung a magnificent looking blade in a sheath of red leather and tarnished platinum caps.

"What is this ghastly thing supposed to be?" she said, staring at the statue up and down. She cringed hearing Tizian's self-manipulation. Her posture seemed to straighten until she looked uncomfortable.

Poltroon walked slowly up to Orph and asked Vardøger, "May I?" as he motioned to it. Assuming the affirmative, the jester would pet and scratch at the animal, making small cooing noises at it.

Tizian found that the vapors roiling up from the pool were grotesque and he could feel his body's natural urge to want to evacuate his stomach. It didn't help matters when a hunk of meat and a fresh-looking eyeball rose to the surface before being sucked back down. He would find that among the remnants of his last meal were streaks of black bile--whatever the King had forced into him. Removing it didn't make him feel any physical relief. In fact, he felt no different, except perhaps in need of a drink.

spacer.png

Pierrot was sad to play for the final time before the throne of Lake Onda, sang Vardøger in a low chanting mode.

The Pale One looked on with grim amusement as Tizian emptied his innards. "Moon-Faced" indeed.

As Poltroon approached Orph, Vardøger watched impassively. "As Orph would have it," he said cryptically. Orph, for his part, after an initial low bray, changed to a contented whinny as his ears were scratched.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

Urminor waited for Tizian to finish his business with the indifference of someone who saw it all by now. Then he asked: "Do you know the way out?"

It was the first time Urminor opened his mouth here. The voice was young but gravelly as if the owner had a sore throat for some time. He paused for a moment and added reluctantly: "I am... Urm. I want to get out too."

spacer.png

Vardøger leads Orph and his wagon somewhat farther into the larger cavern. He wets a finger, holding it up to test for any movement of air; that, and looks to the vapors rising from the bilious pool. He seeks any suggestion of air flow in this place.

What do you think, Orph? he asked. Perhaps rhetorically ... perhaps not.

The Queen was far too interested in the strange statue's horrific beauty to respond, it seemed.

Vardøger couldn't feel a flow of air within the depths of the earth. All the curls of smoke about the ensconced torches rose to the ceiling high above and collected as a haze. Turning attention to the yellow pool, the Pale One would find one area where the liquid rose and brought things to the surface; another area where those things were then sucked back under and didn't return.

Poltroon stepped toward the liquid and match a retching noise from behind his mask. After a moment to collect himself, he began to recite in a sing-song fashion.

"In the shadows deep, a pool of vile decay
Where putrid stench emerges, fouling the air
Digestion's aftermath, a nauseating display
Its repulsive odor, a torment hard to bear
A wretched pool of liquid, no solace can it convey"

spacer.png

As Poltroon moves towards the liquid, Vardøger will lead Orph over towards the eastern (presuming orientation of top of the map to the north) cave entrance, the one presumably leading northerly.

OOC

Perhaps a separate thread for maps might become useful?

He cursed under his breath as he wiped the black streaks away from his chin. "Damned sun, what did that royal bastard force down our throats?" he voiced to no one in particular. This mind still busied itself with what the purpose of the concoction was for. Was it a lethal poison for them if the dungeon didn't kill them at first? He remembered the pit of bodies in the darkness, which incidentally saved their lives. Tizian smirked slightly at the fortune and the dark humor behind it as he sheathed his sword.

"Your Highness?" he asked, his mind trying to recollect her name. As his blood had cooled from the merciless hacking, he did remember there was a queen in the Wästelands. His suspicion, however, was still set upon the woman. Although he and his companions kept their belongings, this woman still had her jewelry and fine clothes draped upon her frame. Had King Fathmu really allowed such a trove to be cast down into the dungeon to be picked by He knows what. He asked weary again: "Your Highness, avert your eyes from that grotesque being. It was not meant to be seen in the gloom of the day. Neither should you push fate to look upon it in this forsaken place."

Pack? the wolf asked

For now, Tizian thought to himself. But I must clear something up first.

"Your Highness, please enlighten me. I'm sure you can answer my inquiry: How did your crown and jewels stay in your possession? It is not a secret the bastard king is bleeding his people dry for all that they own to indulge himself in hedonistic pleasures." His hand gently touched the pommel of his sword and spoke with a low growl in his voice. "Is it because both your crown and title are worth... nothing! Don't bother getting upset! Even if they did when you ruled the Wästelands, it means nothing down here in this hellish pit."

Edited by XQbitor (see edit history)

Tizian did not answer - something expected, even if the guy seemed like a talkative type - and Urminor fell back on his silence and the spot closer to the cart. He made sure not to look as interested in the content of the cart, but having a potential cover was too useful to ignore. When it moved away, so did he.

The blood stains near the state and human intestines in the "river" obviously talked about human sacrifices to whatever god the statue represented. At the moment, though, there was no one performing the ritual (or execution?) and Urminor just considered it to be safe to ignore.

Vardøger and his cart, along with a tailing Urm, turned left and made their way toward one possible exit. There, with a little exploration, a small cave system was revealed. There was enough ambient light to make out most of the details within. The sweet scent of decay wafted from inside. Immediately, Vardøger came to see people here, huddled together in small groups. Many were clothed in rags--likely homeless that had fallen within the king's sights--but others wore little bits of armor or held a small weapon.

"H-hello?" one near the doorway asked, looking up at Vardøger with hope.

"Have you come to live out what time you have left with us, then?" came another voice from further in.

"Gods no, they've come to steal from us!" cried one while scrambling away around the corner.

"Speak, stranger. What do they call you? I am Crelo," asked a man who walked closer. He had a strong build, but fear in his eyes. He held his arm out to Vardøger, catching sight of Urm peeking from behind the cart. "Come now, all are welcome here," he called, trying to reassure the smaller man.

To the far right, at a makeshift table, three people sat eating some kind of strange-looking barbecued meat. From around the corner to the left came a small curl of smoke and the light sound of sizzling.

For a moment, the Pale One was nonplussed: save for the recent encounter with the King's corrupt Tribunal, he had lived his life - such as it was here - on the outskirts of civilization. So many people in an enclosed space gave him a enochlophobic frisson.

Blinking for a few moments, he replied, at last, this one is called Vardøger, again, pointing to himself with this maimed left hand in what appeared to be a characteristic gesture; that one, pointing to the very unhappy mule, is called Orph. That one there, behind the cart, is named Urminor.

Looking to determine whether the Joker could be seen, he continued: the jester is called by another as Poltroon - This one does not know whether that is his actual name.

Hesitating yet again, Vardøger, ends his introductions with and there are two others; one claiming to be of a royal line. They may be near the statue.

The Pale One wishes to inquire as to why these folks are here and whether attempts to escape this place have been made and, if so, how they failed, but even so alien a being as Vardøger knew that the forms of politeness had to be observed, even, or maybe especially, in a nightmare place such as this.

Until now, everything in Urminor's new life was more about custom rather than traditional politeness. Does not mean, of course, he already forgot all the manners, simply was not sure they were applicable here.

He carefully nodded when Vardøger introduced him and even more carefully stepped out from behind the cart, studying the people and the new "burrow" that was supposed to become his (and others') new home.

"Greetings to you too, Crelo." He paused, thinking if there is a good way to explain that they not so much "came to live here" as were all thrown in to die here. Did not find it, shook his head and instead says. "We are new here. Could you tell us about this pi... place?"

spacer.pngspacer.pngPoltroon had followed along with the cart as it moved. When he was introduced, he made a grand gesture of sweeping his hand across his waist, ending with a deep bow. As he finished, he suddenly leapt up and shook his bells as his feet stomped the ground. "My deepest regrets," he said.

The Queen finally snapped out of her reverie looking at the statue. Her eyes came to rest on Tizian. "Katla. Queen Katla," she announced. "If it was not meant to be seen, then why place it there? It is a being of power. Of influence. At least in these cursed caves."

When Tizian accused the Queen, she guffawed at him in what looked like actual hurt. "I'll have you know my gold is very real and very much mine." She walked toward the man-wolf and pressed a finger on his chest. "Why did that fat schmuck leave you with your sword? Arguably more impactful to take away, don't you think?"

To demonstrate her point, Katla pulled her crown off and tapped it against her sword's hilt, causing a metallic pang. "Peasant, I care not whether you believe me. What matters is that you'll use that blade to keep us alive--and I'll do the same. Perhaps we can even turn it into a game, hmm? First to claim ten lives wins."

Rolling her eyes, she fit the headpiece back into place and walked toward Urminor and Poltroon.

"What is this, more peasants?" Katla asked Urminor.

spacer.pngCrelo nodded as names were given. "We--I--have only been here for... I don't know, two s-sleeps worth. The others haven't been here long either."

The man stepped backward and made a motion to follow him inside. Several people nearby scattered deeper into the caves, huddling in groups. There was at least two dozen people all told.

"Always more c-coming--but no one s-stays long," he said, pausing to look across the people.

As the group took a moment to take in the features of the people here closely, it was obvious something was wrong with them. Some were missing their eyes, others wore bloody rags around their head to hide the empty sockets. Others were missing an arm. Many were speaking to each other through crude sign language and making no vocal noise.

"I, uh, guess you can s-see why...No one knows what it is--" Crelo started.

"S'at damn black tar 'e made s'eat!!" shouted one of the men without an arm.

"It's cause you all eat the dead!" screamed a woman pushed back into a corner.

"We're all cursed!" shouted someone else.

Another person simply shrieked and ran out of the cave in a panic.

Crelo's shoulder twitched along with his head and he fidgeted with his fingers. "Y-y-y... You shouldn't stay here. Y-y...ou can if you want... but th-this is j-just a c-coward's way out...P-people talk...seen the brave ones j-j-jump in the p-pool." He pointed back the way the group had come. "S-s-s...orry." It was obvious Crelo had reached the extent of his social ability--or perhaps he didn't like being interrupted.