> Has not eaten
> Has drank
> Has eaten
> Has drank
> Has not eaten
> Has drank
> Has not eaten
> Has drank

The group left the cave of "survivors" unmolested, despite a few longing stares at them. Urm had a sneaking suspicion that soon their gear would in fact be next on the pyre as eyes fell upon their fleeting forms.

Katla looked over her "companions" and sighed. "I suppose we ought stick together--for the sake of strength in numbers. I've yet to decide how I feel about you three."

Poltroon punctuated the Queen's sentiments with a lilting wordless song, simply using his voice to convey an instrument. Katla shot him a look of daggers, but he kept on with it regardless.

Continuing along the western wall to the next cave, the group found only a handful of survivors--one missing an arm, and another the eyes. The smells coming from the cave were foul like Human waste, giving the group plenty of idea what that area was used for.

With little need to speak to more pathetic peopleHope you don't mind the quick pit-stop here and then continuing on. There's nothing of interest here unless you need a bathroom..., the group finally made their way to the southern area of worked stone. The Warden was said to be here, somewhere. Making their way slowly and carefully inside, the room revealed itself. A foyer with a small table and an empty, crusty barrel was here and little else but scraps of trash. Several smaller hallways were found, each leading to a jail cell. Iron bars were set into the stone, each with a door that was locked and showing an obvious keyhole.

Inside each cell was a partially zombified person, but only a single entity per cell. Snoring was heard from the right, but on their left someone was hitting and shaking the bars.

"Let me out you bastard! You can't do this to us! I'll... I'll... eat your face! LET ME OUT!!" came a man's voice, full of desperation.

To the groups far left (right on the map) was a closed wooden door with a barred window at eye-level. Just below it was written in common script, "Warden."

OOC

Urminor only glanced at "her majesty" but did not say anything, absentmindedly picking up the tune Poltroon was humming. With the danger everywhere and nowhere specifically, the young man became ... not exactly relaxed, but more composed, with the confidence of someone who has nothing to lose anymore.

Not addressing anyone in particular he mumbled "A prison inside the prison. what's the point?" then Urmnior walked to the warden's door and looked inside the window.

Katla held a wry grin as she replied, "Perhaps in order to enact greater torments? Maybe this Warden is a sadist."

spacer.pngAs Urm peeked through the small barred window, he saw a small office kept with some organization to it. A desk sat at the center of the room with a muscled man sitting at it, penning something into a ledger with a quill. He had short, dark brown hair with a high hairline and close-cropped beard.

The room itself held many decorations. There were banners depicting violent scenes and another that held a more intricate visage of the same six-armed statue from the previous room. An old-looking sword hung on the wall behind him--high up as if in remembrance of some event or person. In one corner was a decent-looking bed-frame and mattress with a heavy blanket and pillow. Several chests were visible as well.

Hearing people shuffling about outside, the man looked up and met Urm's eyes. "What now?" he barked. "More wanderers? Come to see the Warden, eh? Too afraid to jump in the pool? Basilisks alive, don't be rude--open the door if you want to talk. Just don't touch the cells or you're next." His face held a serious look with mean eyes beneath a furrowed brow. He immediately went back to scribbling in the ledger.

Now, that one was not a prisoner. Or he was, but not in the way others were and he was definitely someone not to trifle with. Urm's survival instincts kicked in, reminding him to stay cautious and choose his words wisely. He glanced at Katla. "The Warden is listening." Her majesty might not care but he did.

Urm opened the door and dared to step in. "I apologize for the interruption, Warden," his voice slightly trembling but trying to maintain a hint of confidence. "We are all new here and simply wish to converse and perhaps gain insights about the rules of this place from one who holds authority within these walls."

That was as close as Urminor could master to the honest "Can someone tell what is going on here?". Urm also hoped to gauge the ways The warden hold his power over this place. As weak and pathetic as the prisoners were, he was only one man, yet, he could somehow keep all of them in check.

Keeping watch of the area, Vardøger saw nothing of concern. But he did hear more movement from within the other cells now that Urm and the Warden had begun speaking.

Katla heeded Urm's warning about as well as one might expect, which was not at all. She rolled her eyes at him in response and waved her hand as if urging him to get on with it. She looked bored. Poltroon danced before her, ringing his bells here and there, seeming to replace the woman's boredom with seething--but contained--rage.

spacer.pngAs Urm stepped into the room, the Warden closed the ledger and put the quill into an inkwell. He stared up at the man, giving his full attention with a stern stare from hardened eyes.

"Well, at least you're polite, if on the edge of sniveling," he replied. His posture didn't relax. "Not many want to talk. Most want me to just beat their head in. But I have time for a little chat." He emphasized the last word.

"You probably think my title gives me power. It does indeed. Any called Warden must be able to make men heel when told to. And if not, my strong arm forces it." He pulled a flail off his belt, holding it up to flex an impressive-looking bicep for a moment, before returning the weapon.

"I was an executioner outside these walls. No respect. But here, men like you come to me for answers. You want them? Fine. I'll put this as plainly as I can. You are walking dead. Poisoned. That black shit the King no doubt forced into you. To feed the Vault. And don't ask--there's no cure. If there is, you think they'd tell me? Pfah! I do what I must to survive. And look what it's gotten me!"

He motioned around the room to make his point. Urm could see trophies of various kinds from a fine looking short sword to a shield to gold jewelry and gem stones on placards.

"Glory. That's what you're staring at, little man. Have no doubts, I enjoy my work. Now, if you're pathetic mind is satiated with knowledge, go jump in the pool or join the other weak shitlings in the caves. I don't care which, just as long as you leave me be."

He paused a moment, never breaking eye contact with Urm. "Or were you not finished?" he asked, cocking his head to one side.

While the Warden was distracted explaining things to Urm, Vardøger could hear one of the prisoners whispering. A light voice was calling him over, or at least trying to get his attention. "Psst! Come here! Please! Whoever you are, please..." the voice pleaded from just out of sight. Katla clearly didn't hear it or was pretending not to.

spacer.png

"Being a king of ashes is better than being a pauper in paradise." Urminor slowly nodded. With his power revealed as mundane brute force, the Warden did not become an easy target but was still a touch less of a threat. So much so, that Urm dared to ask another question.

"Could you tell how much time we all have before with begin to ... fall apart?" Urminor remained serious and did not break eye contact either. Truly, by this time his emotions - including fright - were numb, he felt like a calculating machine counting possibilities rather than a young man full of life and hopes.

spacer.png"Psst! Come here! Please! Whoever you are, please..."

Under the pretext of moving Orph and his cart to a more convenient location, Vardøger will quietly make his way to a point where he can better overhear the whispering prisoner.

This one is here, he said simply, breathing the words rather than making a sibilant whisper.

Edited by Vedast
Switch to 3rd person self-reference (see edit history)

E7Agrx6sCd1nIs2fDwkH--2--axy48.jpg.93c0a288e68766256557331849eedb10.jpgTizian growled quietly to himself as the realization dawned upon him. The hopeless situation they were in, if what the Warden told them was true, only fueled his wrath to the point his knuckles turned white from grasping the hilt of his sword. The people back there, if you could even call them that, weren't eating themselves for sustenance. They were falling apart.

"You sadistic prick", Tizian retorted at the Warden as he seemed to wave the group off to die somewhere. Tizian forced himself up into the Warden's face. His rage swelled to the point that his skin started to stretch over his face. "I will eat you alive!"

Yes.

The transformation started to tear his visage into pieces, revealing the skinless bloody muscles underneath. A guttural snarl emerged from the canine skull and peered at the Warden with hungry eyes.

Yes. Feast.

His possessions clattered on the stone floor. But Tizian wasn't there anymore. In his place stood a flayed wolf whose skin hung in bloody tatters. It looked about with glowing red eyes, bearing its crooked teeth. Then the wolf pounced on the Warden

While the Warden speaks...

Moving closer to the cells without making it obvious--and with more than a couple bodies interposed in the way--Vardøger easily made it within speaking distance of a cell.

The Pale One's words were matched quickly, and just as quietly. "Yes. Yes! Here, I am here. Please, let me out! Let me free and... and... I'll...join you! Whatever you want. Just as long as I don't die here in this cage! Please, I can feel it changing me!" The Pale One might not have been the most apt with words or emotions, but his initial judgement was this man's voice didn't seem to hold deception. Would he truly serve for so little price?

OOC

Per the OOC conversation, we'll allow Vardøger a few exchanges here in the time it takes the Warden to explain things, and before the Flayed Wolf has a meal 😉 I'll let you know when combat will start.

spacer.pngJust as long as I don't die here in this cage! Please, I can feel it changing me!

Vardøger notices the increasing tension and building anger in Tizian's hands. He looks for a line of effect to the Warden as it seems the Skinwalker'snot quite sure whether we actually know such things about each other, but it was a convenient alternative noun patience has reached its end.

This one cannot help you now, the Pale One says in a low voice. Tell, me. Does this Warden have any weakness? Your one chance to escape is if we prevail.

While the Warden speaks...

"I--what--no!" the man hissed, still trying his hardest to maintain a low volume. It was clear he was disappointed by this turn of events.

"You have to kill him, that's what I know! He's strong and fast. Surround him. Use excessive force! He's too strong one-on-one. I have the bruises to show for it!"

Vardøger could hear the Warden speaking about glory or some such. Based on their relative locations, the Pale One was sure the Warden couldn't see where he was standing. All he could see was the backs of his companions in the doorway, slowly making their way inside.

spacer.pngSilence now, the Pale One breathes emphatically.

He then moves, morphing his body using his Digitigrade Limbs ability to provide more of an edge-on aspect to the room with the Warden (basically, to make it harder to see and/or target him).

If GM agrees that Vardøger can see Tizian's transformation begin and thus know or surmise that combat will begin, he will try to use an Omen point ( -4 to test DRI think the -4 DR is better than the reroll at DR = 12 just slightly, but my facility with statistics is quite weak) to cast or evoke Palms Open the Southern Gate targeting the Warden.

[OOC: There is a fair amount of if-and-or-but here in terms of space and line-of-sight and timing, so I'll not roll yet to await GM's adjudication as to what is required or possible.]

[OOC: Would Warden have time to answer Urm's question? About how much time they have?]

spacer.png

Events suddenly sped up catching up with Tizian's rage. All Urminor could do is to get out of the way of the monster the impatient condemned unleashed on Warden.

Urminor jumped to the corner of the room, closer to the door but not blocking the way for anyone willing to join the action. It felt like "her majesty" was itching for action for some time now and he was ready to help with the might of his sling.

Name
Attack (d20 + Agi)
1d20+2 10
Potential damage with a bullet
1d4+1 4

[OOC: speaking of my dopy statistics, I think I got it backwards so that the roll twice against a DC = 12 should be slightly better than roll once vs. a DC = 8. I know this isn't IC, but it directly affects my previous IC direction so, if I may, I'd like to have the Omen as Re-roll rather than as DR - 4. Of course, I'll probably learn that I made a double error and so its really the other way around after all. Ugh. ]