Skills that you dont exactly have

wrathgon

So as I start to run more setting mission form publish material I will be using their DC from the adventures. But what if you do not have the listed skill? So my DM has been running adventures from 43 different systems with his party who is from the same number of different systems. So here is how this works.

If I ask for a swim check but you do not have exactly a swim skill but you have say an athletics skill, you can use the skill you have but the DC will be higher, as athletics while it teaches you to swim is not the swim skill(dedicated skill vs general skill). So when I post a DC like give me a swim check DC 15/25 the higher of the two you use if do not have the listed skill.

the opposite happens when you have a specialized skill like swim and it asks for a athletics check to swim, for you that DC will be lower because you have the exact skill it's asking for even if asks for athletics.

Finally for opposed checks, if you don't have the skill, guess what you auto-fail. You cannot win against someone that has a skill you do not have. Now this should be interesting for @Drunva as he has a skill Damping which is a specialized opposites roll skill. If you were to use that no one outside mass effect could counter what you were doing.