Alias : Gian Sadhil

Clan : Ravnos (Brahmin)

Date of Birth : 1970

Embrace : 1991

Height: 6'

Weight: 185 lbs

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Background

Chinmay was born and raised in Atlanta, where he was a star pupil.

He was sent to the Georgia Institude of Technology at 16, and even then managed to stand out.

By 21, he had already earned several Master's Degree, and was working toward a career as a researcher.

He had also earned some recognition in his Indian community, and that's what got the Interest of his Sire Jayakumar.

Jayakumar had recently awoken in India after a period of Torpor, and moved to America as it was the place to be of the time.

He wanted somone who understood all those new concepts of the world, all this "Science" to update his knowledge, and he chose Chinmay.

He arranged events to appear that Chinmay had died in a terrible accident. He then Embraced him, sequestered him, Bound him, and started extracting knowledge from his Childe.

Either Jayakumar wasn't as smart as he had fancied himself, or Science was too huge of a leap from his normal train of thoughts, but it took a grueling 20 years before Jayakumar was satisfied with what he had learned and granted Chinmay his freedom back. Jayakumar had also started settling well in Atlanta and wasn't eager to leave... Chinmay couldn't stand being in the presence of his Sire and wanted a fresh start, so when he heard of the situation in Savannah where he could resume a life on his own, he pulled what little favors he had managed to earn to be picked and sent there, with this new mystery to solve, and the opportunity to start for real his own life.

Arriving in Savannah, Chinmay set up a Tech business in Sensors with the help of a Ghoul of his who acted as the face for the business.

And now he is going after his own affairs, at last.

Personality

Cool as a cucumber. Cold, even...

Chinmay is a scientist, fascinated by the laws of the world, and who wants to discover and understand Physics and Chimestry.

When he has to socialize, he often gets straight to the point, with little care for embellishment or turnarounds, as it is time wasted. When facing Elders though, he knows that it is dangerous to antagonize them, and he watches his mouth.

Likes / dislikes

- Being free to do as he pleases

- Discovering / learning / understanding new things about the Universe

Dislikes :

- Being pulled down by useless distractions

Goals

Short term:

- To set up his business and make it flourish

- To solve the mystery of what happened in Savannah (for safety, recognition, and pure curiosity)

Long term:

- To get rid of his Blood Bound

- To get his hands on some Temporis teaching, and compare it with his Karma teachings

- To understand what is really Reality

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edited by Thot (see edit history)

CHARACTER

Nature Celebrant   Clan Ravnos (Brahmin)
Demeanor Scientist   Generation 9
Concept Scientist   Sire Jayakumar

ATTRIBUTES

Physical (3) Social (5) Mental (9)
Strength ●●○○○ Presence ●●○○○ Perception ●●●●○
Dexterity ●●○○○ Manipulation ●●●○○ Intelligence ●●●●●
Stamina ●●○○○ Appearance ●●●○○ Wits ○○○

SKILLS

Talents (9) Skills (5) Knowledges (13)
Alertness ●●●○○ Animal Ken ○○○○○ Academics ●○○○○
Athletics ○○○○○ Crafts ●○○○○ Computer ●●●○○
Awareness ●●●○○ Drive ○○○○○ Finance ○○○○
Brawl ○○○○○ Etiquette ●●○○○ Investigation ○○○○○
Empathy ○○○○○ Firearms ○○○○○ Law ○○○○
Expression ○○○○○ Larceny ○○○○ Medicine ○○○○○
Intimidation ○○○○○ Melee ○○○○○ Occult ●●●○○
Leadership ○○○○○ Performance ○○○○○ Politics ○○○○○
Streetwise ○○○○○ Stealth ●●○○○ Science ●●●
Subterfuge ●●●○○ Survival ○○○○○ Technology ●●●○○

ADVANTAGES

DISCIPLINES (3) BACKGROUNDS (5) VIRTUES (5)
Animalism ○○○○○ Allies ○○○○○ Conscience ●●○○○
Auspex ○○○ Alternate Identity ●●○○○ Self-Control ●●●
Celerity ○○○○○ Contacts ○○○○○ Courage ●●●○○
Chimerstry ○○○ Domain ●○○○○    
Dementation ○○○○○ Fame ○○○○○    
Dominate ○○○○○ Generation ●●●    
Fortitude ○○○○○ Herd ○○○○    
Necromancy ○○○○○ Influence ○○○○○    
Obfuscate ○○○ Mentor ○○○○○    
Obtenebration ○○○○○ Resources ●○○○○    
Potence ○○○○○ Retainers ○○○○    
Presence ○○○○○ Status ●○○○○    
Protean ○○○○○        
Quietus ○○○○○        
Serpentis ○○○○○        
ThaumaturgySadhana (Path of Karma) ○○○○        
Vicissitude ○○○○○        

Ritual level Rituals Known
1 Armor of Diamond SerenityIf the ritual succeeds, the magician becomes immune to Frenzy and Rötschreck for the rest of the night.

The character also receives -2 Difficulty on Willpower rolls, while attacks that use her Willpower as the Difficulty a +2 penalty to their Difficulty (to a maximum of 10).

On the other hand, the magician cannot expend Vitae to raise Physical Attributes while the rritual remains in effect.

MERITS & FLAWS

MERITS FLAWS
Concentration 1 Bound -2
Eidetic Memory 2 Sleeping with the Enemy -3
Calm Heart 3 Expendable -1
LanguageHindi 1    
Light Sleeper 2 Prey Exclusion (Scientists) -1
Early Riser 1 Dangerous Secret -1

HUMANITY ●●●●● ○○○○○ Bearing: _______ -
WILLPOWER Current: ●●●●● ●●●● -
BLOOD POOL Current: 7 Max: 14 Per Turn: 2

CLAN WEAKNESS

A turbulent history makes the Ravnos slaves to their vices. Each Ravnos has a penchant for some sort of vice — lying, cruelty, or theft, for example.
When presented with the opportunity to engage in that vice, the Ravnos must indulge it unless her player succeeds on a Self-Control or Instincts roll (difficulty 6).

Chinmay is a Scientist, and will chalk at nothing to learn some truth. No experiment is beyond him. No matter who or what may suffer from it...

HEALTH Fine Bruised Hurt Injured Wounded Mauled Crippled Incapacitated
    -1 -1 -2 -2 -5  
X              

Freebie Points

Willpower 6

Merits & Flaws : 1

Backgrounds 6

Self-Control 2

Experience Points

2023-05-29 : +50

2023-05-31 : -05; Auspex 2

2023-05-31 : -05; Chimerstry 2

2023-05-31 : -07; Obfuscate 2

2023-05-31 : -10; Thaumaturgy (Sadhana) 1

2023-05-31 : -02; Language (Hindi)

2023-05-31 : -04; Wits 2

2023-06-10 : -06; Science 4

2023-06-10 : -09; Larceny 1; Finance 1; Law 1

Left : +02 XP

Free log

202X-XX-XX : xxxx

Experience

1. Everyday activities that would improve over time

Chinmay is very involved in his company C-Tech. It is both a means and an end, as it allows him to be his own man and to practice R&D in environment of his choosing . So he practices a lot of Technology first, and also a bit of firm management too in Law and Finance through MOOC. Hopefully, this will translate over time as a greater Domain, with more Herd and Resources.

Since his Embrace, Chinmay is also very much aware that there is much more going on around than can be accessed through mundane means, and he is steadily accumulating and comparing data from his technological sources and data collected from his Occult sources (Auspex).

2. What is being actively trained in off camera down time.

While his current focus is on applied science, Chinmay knows that only a strong background in theoretical science can give him the edge he is looking for, and he keeps taking nighttime classes or MOOC in Physics Science.

He has seen his Sire's powers in action too, and knows that there is more to them than mere illusions. There lies the promise to interact with reality, and it is something that Chinmay just can't let slide, so he tries to use Chimerstry in his lab with the members of his herd as guinea pigs.

His Sire has given him access to an unused part of his library as a parting gift of sorts, and while it only amounts to a couple of shelves's worth of knowledge, it is all tried and true so Chinmay spends what time he can to also expand his abilities with Sadhana, the Blood Magic from his Clan. More advanced teachings are out of reach for now.

3. What is being sought out through other methods that isn't subject to regular use or training.

Chinmay has heard that some bloodline of the Brujah is rumoured to have twisted Celerity and earned some powers over Time itself. If such a thing were true, the number of possibilities would be endless, and Chinmay wants to see this through. Any rumour, even the faintest, of Temporis is to be very thoroughly explored until he can actually learn it.

BACKGROUNDS

Alternate Identity

Chinmay was supposed to have died when Jayakumar Embraced him, but after a while he was at last authorized to interact with human society again. Since he couldn't really claim to be himself anymore, he forged himself a new administrative identity : Gian SADHIL. With this identity, Gian is pretty much a self-taught scientist, having followed MOOCs and so on but no real courses. He remains as elusive as he can because he knows that this is still a work in progress.

Domain

Having been taught about both Chimerstry and Obfuscate, Chinmay knows that there is more out there than meets the eye. A lot.In order to overcome this weakness, he intends to use any and all edges technology can offer, so he set up a company called ChaitanyaAwareness Tech specializing in sensors of all kinds.

It has a small workshop and office on the edges of Savannah that Chinmay claims as his own.

Generation

His Sire is Jayakumar, a Ravnos of the 8th Generation.

Herd

Chinmay has brought with him three young mortals from GIT who were entranced by his intelligence, and the promise of a meaningful like filled with discoveries of the true nature of the universe.

Resources

Chaitanya Tech, or C-Tech more commonly, is a budding company who can sustain this level of lifestyle. Probably more in the years to come if Chinmay can deliver all he hopes.

Retainers

spacer.png Lakshman Udayan is yet another person that Chinmay managed to pull to his side with promises of knowledges, and fortunes, but he picked him from his family this time, a distant cousin who showed promises as a businessman.

Chinmay has learned and is still learning about that as well so as to understand what is going on, but he relies heavilty on Lakshman for the daily running of C-Tech.

Status

Chinmay arrived in the city through all the proper channels, and as such is recognized as a member in good standing of Savannah's Kindreds.

MERITS & FLAWS

Bound

Jayakumar was not a trustful Sire or Regnant, and used his experience to Blood Bound his Childe before asking him his services.

Sleeping with the Enemy

Chinmay is aware that there exists a faction of Brujah calling themselves the True Brujah, and that they are reputed with access to secrets pertaining to Time. He is very interested in learning from them, and has reached out several times to Brujah Antitribu in his search.

Expendable

Whether it is because someone else sees C-Tech as worthwhile, or infringing on their own grounds, or simply because he is a Ravnos, but he is more often than not singled out for dangerous missions.

Prey Exclusion (Scientist)

In a strange code-of-honor, Chinamy refuses to drink from people who can advance knowledge of the world and its workings.

Dangerous Secret

While he is no secret broker per trade, Chinmay is still capable of accessing intel when he sets his mind to it. While sounding out several Brujah from Savannah, he noticed discrepancies in the stories of one of them. One of them is not what he pretends to be.

@coreal

I am now decently satisfied with the app as it stands, and would welcome some feedback when possible for you, please.

Thanks a lot !

EDIT: depending on your feedback, there are two things that I am considering changing / defining further. His Sire (its character / influence / etc) either positively or negatively (Loathsome Regnant ?), and his mortal family (I could see him looking after them in secret, for instance). Do you have any preference / ideas, perhaps ?

EDIT 2 : I am also considering giving him ties with the Sabbat from his attempts at finding a teacher for Temporis (Sleeping with the Enemy ?), and also perhaps receiving some heat from his Clan in a Camarilla City (Expendable ?).

That should give you plenty of hooks in the character in my opinion 🙂

So a few thoughts... I'm not quite sure how to handle his background with spending his mortal childhood in Savannah. On the one hand, it would create an expectation of knowledge about the city, but from an adolescent point of view, so you wouldn't have a lot of the cultural and contextual items that come from interacting in an area as an adult. In addition, the mortal family ties in the area could prove to be problematic.

The influence of his sire will be diluted by the distance and by the nature of the politics in Savannah's kindred. This connection would likely be less important than in a story where the sire is in the same city and still in some way responsible for the character as a recent childe.

Thank you for the feedback. Here is how I think I will take it into account:

1 - OK, it's not very relevant to the concept, so I can easily remove Chinmay being originally from Savannah, no problem there.

2 - As for his Sire, the idea was both to keep him somewhat on-screen because otherwise the Bound Flaw losed of its pull, and because he may be / become a source of tuition for Chinmay in some Disciplines (and possible Skills like Occult / Academics). If you would rather we not consider it, I can remove / replace that Flaw, or consider those some off-screen events.

3 - I have also factored in the Sleeping With The Enemy (in order to get intel about True Brujah) and Expendable (more on the ground that he is a Ravnos, so a liability out of general principle).

4 - For the two Factions that he would have pissed off, I am considering the Tremere (because he is a nascent Thaumaturge of another Tradition), and possibly the Gangrel (because Ravnos and prejudice, if nothing else, even without reason) or more probably the Brujah (because he would be babbling about the True Brujah and so on in his quest for some).

5 - Last, I want him to be a scientist through and through, so I am considering his lab / tech entreprise to be about batteries design and battery-recycling, if it can give you any ideas. I see him more as a chemist / physicist than as a biologist or computer-wizard.

I have slightly updated the character, and while I will still flesh him out, he is now unlikely to change much. He has turned out much colder than I had anticipated / meant at first, but I am interested in seeing what this cold-blooded character would do in an open playground like Savannah.

So, I am requesting some feedback again, and your green light if you are fine with the character too, please ?

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 2:03 PM, Thot said:
Dangerous Secret

While he is no secret broker per trade, Chinmay is still capable of accessing intel when he sets his mind to it. While sounding out several Brujah from Savannah, he noticed discrepancies in the stories of one of them. One of them is not what he pretends to be.

Dangerous Secret

One clarification... there were not 'several Brujah' from Savannah to sound out. There was only one that you were able to even get a name for. The information about this one will be in your opening.

Hey, thank you for the new thread. I would just like to clarify something before answering please, and it's about the Alternate Identity Merit. What I had in mind was that Chinmay was hiding his real identity to everyone, and was known all around as Gian SADHIL.

I have the feeling you are using it only as a fake identity in kine circles, though, assuming in Kindred circles he is known by his true name.

If that's how you think the Merit works, that's fine by me, but I just wanted to clarify that my intent was going beyond that (if you agree with it, of course).

Thanks.

I see, I was assuming you were creating the alternate identity background to be able to have a licensed identity in the kine world to interact with legal structures and the like. It is a background representing how deeply established that identity is within the circle it was created to integrate with. I'm not familiar with an alternate identity merit, just the mistaken identity flaw.