Private Topics and Topic Transfers

Sorithar

Sorry, not sure where this post belongs, wondering about the following features, do they exit and/or could they..?

- Make a Topic private so all threads and posts in that Topic are visible only to allowed members. Would be helpful for knowing where a DM's private stash might go...

- Copy/Move a Topic, in its entirety, from one game to another. Would make it easy to move OOC information, homebrew etc. from game to game if desired.

Thank you,

-S

Just now, Sorithar said:

Make a Topic private so all threads and posts in that Topic are visible only to allowed members.

I believe you're asking about Topics (the collection). This has been asked; it's not easily accomplished but I haven't ruled it out.

5 minutes ago, Sorithar said:

Copy/Move a Topic, in its entirety, from one game to another.

Moving is already possible. Copying could be considered but if we are talking about setting information, Pages are a better solution than Topics.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I believe you're asking about Topics (the collection). This has been asked; it's not easily accomplished but I haven't ruled it out.

👍

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Moving is already possible. Copying could be considered but if we are talking about setting information, Pages are a better solution than Topics.

Haven't tried Pages yet. Need to look into that then... Still think it might be useful to be able to copy Topics, but thank you for brining Pages to my attention.

18 minutes ago, Sorithar said:

- Make a Topic private so all threads and posts in that Topic are visible only to allowed members. Would be helpful for knowing where a DM's private stash might go...

I do believe when you create a page, you can make them private (DM Only) (DM and CO DM's) etc. or public.

And of course you can restrict access to threads by making them private or only available for certain members.

Baldr New User Guide - Articles - Myth-Weavers

Just now, bwatford said:

I do believe when you create a page, you can make them private (DM Only) (DM and CO DM's) etc. or public.

And of course you can restrict access to threads by making them private or only available for certain members.

Baldr New User Guide - Articles - Myth-Weavers

Thank you, hadn't tried Pages yet and I see they can be made private. They seem to be a solution, though I don't understand the difference between Topics and Pages yet. Is it that one can host Threads and the other cannot?

I realize threads can be made private and am using that feature, but if I have a Topic with multiple private threads, seems to make sense it would be nice to be able to make the whole Topic private. Just figured I'd ask. If its too complicated, I'll survive without the feature, lol.

Thank you for the input though!

-S

OK, looking at Pages, I could see how this might be a solution, but it seems the a "Page" is sort of a single page... Need to figure out how the table of contents works, that is one viable option here.

To try and be more informative here, say I have this thread: https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/2571-fr-role-play-resources/

It resides in the "Player Resources" Topic in my game, but its a catch all that applies to resources for any player in any of my games set in this setting, with information on useful touches to make a character more "campaign specific" and general useful information.

It would take a lot of editing to make all this information sit on one page in an orderly manner. Using a new locked post for each topic covered in the thread is cleaner.

Now I want to copy this thread to the "Player Resources" Topic in another game set in the same world... Does this clarify why I'm asking if I can copy a Topic or Thread to another game..?

Cheers!

-S

I do get it. You can actually make multiple pages, and even a separate game to house them. We're still working on the best solution long-term to replace what the Myth-Wiki used to do (somewhat awkwardly).