Applicant questions

Knave

2 hours ago, Intro said:

Yeah, I was also thinking a "retired" Erinyes could be a fun Divine classicist, maybe as a "family member" that pops up as a lecturer at Somerville every other generation or so, with a weapon and partial panoply on permanent loan to the Ashmolean that occasionally is "removed for cleaning". But that felt more like an instructor than a student, so I've been letting other ideas rumble around.

There used to be a thing called Founder's Kin... if you want to play an immortal that attends generation after generation as a student, that might be somewhere to start. Such a family might also have some items loaned out. Good opportunity to play a classic British noble?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founders'_kin

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

How should / could I fit stuff like the Haven for the expert into the setting? Completely independent of the order, part of the order but kinda its own thing aside from the group, etc.?

4 hours ago, matt_s said:

How should / could I fit stuff like the Haven for the expert into the setting? Completely independent of the order, part of the order but kinda its own thing aside from the group, etc.?

In my mind, that sort of stuff probably makes most sense as an OUMHS resource that you are now in charge of. Since it's an old society, that makes it narratively easy to justify. If you are a first year, it's something that will be found / given to you early on. You can pick a location and all the tags

However, if you have an alternative narrative justification for having the resources, I'm open to it.

4 minutes ago, Shen said:

God, all the applications are really fancy and well made, and I'm still so unused to how to do all that formatting...

Genuinely don't worry about this. As long as it's clearly laid out. I think simple is the way to go for Baldr posting anyway, complex templates seem to break often in the games I'm in

16 hours ago, Knave said:
  • There will definitely be secret societies of practising spell-casters / magic experts at Oxford. If you want to choose that and give some flavour, that works. You have had some secretive run-ins or dealings with one group of them. The exact agenda of the group, I will hold back.
  • You can choose any monster breed from the Monstrous Suggestions list. No guarantee it will come up as a primary adventure though. If you want to choose Fey, and potentially tie into Sophie's backstory, I'm of course fine with that.

In each case, give me a sense of how you think your reputation was established with them / what connection you have, and I'll add details you know about the group in the setting, or amend it as necessary

As an alternative, and to make this a more active move, if you want you can leave some or all of these selections undefined, and play this as an active move. When you encounter or seek out a group or type of monster, if you choose, you can tell them your name and roll luck. On a full or mixed success (i.e. 7 and above), they have heard of you and become one of your selections for the purposes of this Move (still maxes out at three groups though)

I think i might mix and match. I'll take at least one from the Monstrous Suggestions - i'm thinking fey for the connection would be fun - and leave at least one open so i can do a 'i know a guy' or 'they know me here' moments and see how it turns out.

1 hour ago, Neopopulas said:

I think i might mix and match. I'll take at least one from the Monstrous Suggestions - i'm thinking fey for the connection would be fun - and leave at least one open so i can do a 'i know a guy' or 'they know me here' moments and see how it turns out.

Sounds good.

Oh, dang, I just noticed the Weird Science alternative Weird basic move and now a part of me wants to roll up a Walter from Fringe. Another time, another game...

13 minutes ago, Shen said:

Oh, dang, I just noticed the Weird Science alternative Weird basic move and now a part of me wants to roll up a Walter from Fringe. Another time, another game...

It's a powerful move for sure

1 hour ago, Knave said:

It's a powerful move for sure

It's not even power, it's just the idea of playing a slightly-loopy mad scientist type, fresh out of the madhouse and back in the lab again, hunting the same things that put him in there in the first place... chef's kiss, ya know?

Anyway, application started, at least. I'll have to do the mad scientist in another game someday.

Is the Hard Case playbooks available? I have an idea for a young Cockney thug who got recruited into a spot in the hunter cell. For that to work out he is enrolled into the Uni. Talk about sticking out like a diamond on a donkey's arse!

33 minutes ago, XQbitor said:

Is the Hard Case playbooks available? I have an idea for a young Cockney thug who got recruited into a spot in the hunter cell. For that to work out he is enrolled into the Uni. Talk about sticking out like a diamond on a donkey's arse!

Just the expanded core list plus tome of mysteries please. Crooked might work? I expect rhyming slang!

On 6/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, XQbitor said:

Who let you in here? 😛

5 hours ago, Gregorotto said:

Who let you in here? 😛

Oh I'm sorry 😝 Didn't I tell you pbta is my new black? Couldn't have you and DNFTT to have all the fun.

Looking good for the both of you 👍

Oh man. I'm going to have to speak in British for this game, aren't I? I'm going to have to take my trolley into the store if I want to buy some biscuits, then put the bags in the boot of my car, and go up from the ground floor to the first floor of my house (because those are different) and be knackered after a long day but chuffed that I've gotten so much done.

ร—
ร—