Rosemary of Eldormere

(I posted this on May 19th, '23 on the other MW forum)

This is Rosemary of Eldormere, who just sailed into town on the Water Lily, a small flatbottom ship which is her home and her apothecary. Sometimes it even serves as a Bed and Breakfast for the occasional lost or wounded traveller or rogue.
Rose is looking for a house & home made out of proper brick & mortar as the waters have become too cold for Rosemary's old bones.
Ready to jump in when it comes to healing the people of your fine settlement, where ever that may be. Cures for blisters aren't available, neither is there one for the common cold. Everything else, try and find out.
Freeform play would suit me best, long posts please.

I basically just want to start writing a thread PbP, freeform, pure storylines and dialogues. People can jump in when they like. Perhaps not even using dice, but describing town life. A soap with a magic twist if you will.

1b84e8114e647a4b09935a269724bde1.jpg

Edited by Rosemary of Eldormere (see edit history)

I am not sure if this might be close to what you're looking for, but the (generally acclaimed) solo journalling game Apothecaria may fit with the tone of your writings.

https://blackwellwriter.itch.io/apothecaria

I haven't played it myself so I cannot comment on it, but there's community copies available so if you want to try it there's little to stop you.

This sounds like a prime candidate for an experimental solo game. I don't think I've ever seen anyone run a town-life game. Heck, @cailano, I could see Tabitha having a jewelry shop here 😉

You could have the forum represent the town itself (tabs=districts?). People might not interact or even know the other exists, unless they post in the same tab.

My only question would be how would you give the players an impetus? What drives them to action? I can't imagine it being that interesting to basically narrate a normal day. The core of this question is: Where does the chaos come from?

That reminds me a little of a weird game I thought of running years ago. The idea was that this weird dungeon appeared in a certain set of caves (The Caves of Chaos, named for the Keep on the Borderlands) and was always shifting and opening to alternate worlds. The game itself was to include an unlimited number of players and potentially multiple GMs. One option was for players to play non-combatants like merchants or craftsmen. Their goal was to get rich, and all the supplies the players needed would have to come from them. Only one team of PCs at a time would ever be in the caves. The rest would be chilling in the town that was supposed to grow up around them.

I never did it, but your post reminded me of it, @Malkavian Grin.

8 hours ago, cailano said:

That reminds me a little of a weird game I thought of running years ago. The idea was that this weird dungeon appeared in a certain set of caves (The Caves of Chaos, named for the Keep on the Borderlands) and was always shifting and opening to alternate worlds. The game itself was to include an unlimited number of players and potentially multiple GMs. One option was for players to play non-combatants like merchants or craftsmen. Their goal was to get rich, and all the supplies the players needed would have to come from them. Only one team of PCs at a time would ever be in the caves. The rest would be chilling in the town that was supposed to grow up around them.

I never did it, but your post reminded me of it, @Malkavian Grin.

That's a pretty interesting concept. I'd wager you'd need "things" for all the town-bound people to "do" though, in order to maintain interest.

I've run a kind of town game before, but not like this. Not with lengthy, dedicated town business.

My version is usually set in highly modified D&D 3.5e--to the point that there are no classes, and you get better by just being exposed to things--where some evil befalls a sleepy village. There are no "heroes" so it's up to the townsfolk to step up their game and become said heroes. I talk this inspiration from a game I was in long, long, long ago on OGMW which did something very similar. I played a blacksmith and called him Griswold...