Ghostbusters: ApoKERMIS Now!

mykesfree

Professor Van Horton put the book down and shook his head in despair. Fear made him tremble. If he had translated the ancient tome correctly then the world would soon be plunged into a nightmarish mire of total destruction. And Van Horton knew that he was seldom wrong.

He carefully wrapped the old tome in a brown paper bag, then with a shaky hand, he penciled in the address. He put on his overcoat and made his way to the door. He looked around his office one last time before leaving. Nothing was there.

It took all of his will to open the front door. Van Horton could not shake the feeling that he was being watched.

As he made his way out of his apartment, he could feel the night watching him. Somewhere in the shadows, they were waiting for him, licking their pointed and sharp teeth. "Not tonight, you horrors!", the Professor whispered defiantly.

Van Horton made his way to the mailbox. He placed the book into the slot. He shuddered the fear that was upon him. He felt safe as he turned to head back to his apartment.

He made it back to the front porch of his building. Keys at the ready to open the front door. He opened the front door as a foul smell drifted by him.

His keys were suddenly yanked from his hand and then flew across and landed on the hardwood floor without making a sound.

Fear gripped Van Horton. Then he heard otherworldly voices:

Shouting

"Kermis!"

Laughing

Kermis!

Loud Shouting, Laughing, Chanting

KERMIS!

Ghostbusters logo dissolves onto the screen.

image.jpeg.294ebc6b84247466d2126e8075e048a1.jpeg

GM Post
Suburbia Ghostbuster’s HQ.

Scene Traits: 

It is a fine Monday morning as Kurt and Kyle go through their morning routine of opening up the office. Cleaning the protection grid, priming the Proton Packs, and making coffee. The sun is shining. and the birds are singing.

Kurt and Kyle Wolfrath Office Administrators

Premium Photo | Portrait of scowling twins in casual sweaters standing with  crossed arms against orange background
"Wonderful Morning". Kyle cheerfully greets his brother.

The more gruff Kurt just grunts and shakes his head.

There is banging on the front door.

"Let us in, Let us in, Let us in!"

"Do you hear something"? Kurt asks

Kurt just grunts and shakes his head no.

OOC:

Describe what your character is doing in the HQ and if they want to answer the door, that the Brothers are obviously not paying attention to.

Edited by mykesfree (see edit history)

spacer.png
Specs awoke suddenly from his bed upstairs. The book he was in the middle of--John Dies At The End--flew onto the floor. He yawned and rubbed his face then grabbed his glasses. His hair was a mess, sticking up at an odd angle.

Pushing himself to his feet, Specs went to the bathroom to take care of business. The smell of coffee wafted up the stairs and he grinned. He finished brushing his teeth and swooping his hair to the side, then slipped on his jumpsuit and boots and slid down the pole to the first floor.

"Dang, I love doing that," he said with a smile.

Pouring himself a cup of coffee with cream, Specs greeted the twins. "Mornin' guys. What's the haps?"

In the middle of another sip, he heard the shouting from outside. He nearly spilled his drink all over himself. "Oh, geez! Uh... guys? Is there someone at the door?"

When they didn't seem to, he walked over and looked out the window. "What time is it? Are we open yet?" he asked over his shoulder, looking at his watch.

GM Post

Scene Traits: 

The twins were busy with their office work when they suddenly became aware of Specs.

Premium Photo | Portrait of scowling twins in casual sweaters standing with  crossed arms against orange background
"Good Morning Mr. Cooke". Kyle said cheerfully to Specs.

Kurt nodded his head in response to Spec's question. "We are open, we are giving a tour of the HQ to a troop of the Wilderness Kids so they can earn some badges."

There is banging on the front door.

spacer.png
You'll be pleased to know that while *on-paper* Kev was a PTSD riddled veteran who has put some serious time in a psychiatric hospital, in practice the worst things about him in the morning was that he was usually the first awake, and therefore he got to make the first pot of coffee. And he liked it so thick you could use it to fill in potholes.

That's not to say there weren't issues, when he came to the Ghostbusters initially he clearly has seen the kind of shit that shakes anybody with no ability to understand it. Just being here was helping because at least they could see the signs of someone who really has had a supernatural experience they weren't prepared for.

That said, did he really have to do that to the poor coffee maker? At least he had the decency to keep sugar, creamer, and milk available.

"Bloody Yanks, why do you put cinnamon in everything?" he grunts with more then a small hint of a cockney accent. At least he's already got a run and a shower in. Civilian life was an adjustment but it had advantages he supposed. He thought cinnamon was vastly overrated but he supposed he liked having the option.

The door knocks got his attention, he nodded and headed out the door with a particularly large mug to get it.

"Specs, Twins - Mornin'? Bit early to be dodging creditors, ay?" he gives with a quip, and going to open the door.
OOC

GM Post

Scene Traits:  Specs, Twins, Kev in the lobby

About 30 children came pouring into Ghostbusters HQ overrunning the front office area and Kev.

"Was that a ghost" A kid says pointing at Kev
Annoying_Kid_1000x700.jpg

A kid began pointing at Specs

6838259-boy-pointing-finger-at-you.jpg
"Troop Master Gross, what is that Ghostbuster doing? He looks scared."

"Can I play with a Proton Pack?"

"I wanna ride in the Ectomobile"

"Can I see a ghost?"

Troop Master Helga Gross

CN13545293_20170313.jpg

The troop master in the back of the mass of kids tries to make her way forward with no success.

"Yes, Hello, We are here from Wilderness Kids Troop 341. No Tommy you will not be able to fire a proton pack."

The Kids started to overwhelm the front desk and the Wolfrath brothers and their troop master.

spacer.png
"Morning Kev. You sleep okay? Always up so early, man...I--what--wait--AHH!" Specs started to say before nearly three dozen tiny people bumrushed the area. This time he did spill hot coffee everywhere, but he managed to jump back so all it did was cover his boots.

"Aww man, now I gotta change my socks..." he said. As he looked up from his boots he saw a kid making a grim face, just pointing at him. "Uh, hey kid, welcome to the Ghostbusters HQ. Pretty spooky, right?" he said, trying to make it sound impressive. Unfortunately, the most time Specs had spent around kids was when his niece and nephew would come to town during the summer for two weeks.

Specs walked back to refill his coffee. He came back and stopped at the desk, leaning near Kurt. "Uh, what're we supposed to show them?" he asked quietly.

spacer.png
"I'm not a Ghost, I'm just British." Kev gives life to a sentence he never thought he'd have to say and for a moment panic crosses his features. But he does think of something quickly.

"Alright, I have a plan." he remarks to Specs, turning and stepping toward the stairs.

"Oy! ROCK! WE HAVE GUESTS!"

...Yes, that's his plan.

"What? Rock is great with Kids. And the Twins practically are still kids."
OOC

Sheet

Did Lex quit? Bummer.

GM Post

Scene Traits:  Specs, Twins, Kev in the lobby

"Wait aren't British people pasty like a ghost and know about things that happened a long time ago, like " he points again at Kev "a ghost, you're a ghost." The boy then moves over to the other kids. "He's a ghost let's try to bust him!"

Annoying_Kid_1000x700.jpg

"We Wanta Proton Pack, let's bust this ghost"

Troop Master Helga Gross

CN13545293_20170313.jpg

Troop Master Gross tries to calm down the kids but they don't respond.

"Children, this man is not a ghost, he is from England and very much alive."

"I think I found the equipment room over here, they have Alpine Gear!." a kid shouts from the entrance to the equipment locker room.

OOC:

To try and calm down the children is going to be a diffcultiy 14 Cool roll. Success means they start to calm down and listen. Failure means they get more chaotic and start to demean whoever tried to calm them down and lowers their Cool stat by 1 point.

spacer.png
There wasn't time for an explanation; the kids starting running havoc all over the place. Kev was busy being "the ghost" and Rock was still sleeping. The kids had already found the equipment room. Why didn't this place have locks?

Specs had to do...something.

"Hey, that area's off-limits," he said to the kids right near the gear room, "unless you want to be haunted every time you close your eyes!" He was going to lean into a ghost story he used to hear at camp, hoping it'd be enough to captivate the little buggers.

"That's right, haAaaAaunteeEeEed!" he said using a cheesy voice. Specs ran over to a circuit box and snapped all the lights off in the main room.

"Listen up kids, I've got a cautionary tale of kid just about your age that was just too curious about the supernatural--and ended up..." He paused for a second, then used his flashlight to shine onto his face from under his chin. "HAUNTED FOREVER!" he shouted.

"There was once a kid named Alex that lived in a forgotten village, hundreds of years ago before America was fully conquered. Legend has it that on the edge of that village sat an old, decrepit house no one remembered. No one knew who built it, or who lived there. It had just always been there. They said voices could be heard nearby. They said the Wraith of Hollowbrook would curse anyone who went inside."

Specs looked around to see all the kids now captivated by his story. "Alex wasn't afraid though--just like you. One night he crept up to the old house at night after his parents went to sleep. When he got closer he heard his name called, over and over--Aaaaaaleeeex... Aaaaallleeeex--and when he looked at the second story, there was a lit candle in the window. Alex stepped inside and took three steps before the door SLAMMED shut!" he shouted at the end.

"A cold wind blew his hair around and creaking floorboards above him drew him closer and closer. Up the stairs he went. He heard his name again--Aaaaalllleeeeex--until he got to the top of the stairs. He walked into the next room where he saw that candle. The wind blew the door shut again and little Alex found himself in the dark with only the moon's light shining through the window. He tried to get out but the door was stuck! Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder but nothing was there. He spun around and felt a hand running through his hair this time! Finally he walked to the window and stared at his village. Everything was moving in slow motion."

Specs got quieter and quieter. "One last time he heard his name whispered in his ear--Aleeeeex--before he saw the wraith! Icy fingers grabbed his face and he screamed--but no voice came out. He pounded on the window--but nothing shook. He tried to run--but his legs wouldn't move. All he could do was close his eyes."

With all the kids staring at him for the conclusion, Specs grinned. "He opened his eyes and was back in his bed. It had just been a bad dream. He sighed and got out of bed. And that's when he heard his name whispered again--Aaaaaaleeeex." To end the story Specs pounded a fist as hard as he could on a nearby desk.

"And that's why you don't go messing with Ghostbuster equipment. We caught that wraith last fall, right guys?"

OOC

I'm going to roll and see what I get, then add to my post. OMG it actually worked!

Oof, sorry that got so long!!! I got carried away.

Name
Cool -- this won't go well...
3d6 5,4,6

GM Post

Scene Traits:  Specs, Twins, Kev in the lobby

The kids became in rapture with Spec's story as it went on, and then all the wilderness kids jumped at the end. Even the most rambunctious kid stopped what they were doing.

Troop Master Helga Gross

CN13545293_20170313.jpg

"Thank you." the Troop Master whispered under her breath to Specs.

Then all eyes turned to Kurt Wolfrath as he was on his phone. "And that's the way the squires like it Cindy Baby." Kurt quickly looked around as he realized his voice carried across the silent room. "Sorry Cindy Baby, I'll call you back, I'm at work." Kurt forced a smile and waved Hi to everyone and quickly slide away.

It was at this moment, with the silent children and embarrassed twin, that Rock Bellows, former pro-footballer and current semi-(at best) pro-ghostbuster slid down the pole. He didn't just slide down it though, no no. Instead he was doing his whole 'I slid down so fast I flew outta uniform' gag wherein Rock would throw his uniform up in the air and then slide down the pole wearing short shorts and a tank top. A second after he hit the ground his uniform would land on or near him and he proclaim something like...

Woah, who greased the pole, I slid right outta my uniform again! Somebody's gotta do som.....

Rock announced loudly before taking in the scene and realizing his mistake. A slow thought of maybe this prank wasn't a good idea started to roll into his brain before that thought was stopped dead in it tracks for a new thought, it was simply, uh oh...there he stood, tiny shorts that read Tuesday on the bottom (it was not Tuesday) and a plain white tank top. And a small horde of small people stared at him in mixed bafflement/wonder and a little old lady smiled. After a long few seconds Rock blurted out.

Hey kids! I'm real ghostbuster Rock Bellows! Ummm....Who wants to ride the pole! And then we can shoot off my nuclear backpack. Only not inside though cause the HR guys wrote me up for that last week. Then maybe we can get Specs or Kev to let one of the cute ghost out to pet! Come on let's get sliding!

Rock then led the charge for pole sliding and proton pack play.

Edited by CptFitz (see edit history)

spacer.png
Specs was quite surprised that whole thing worked. He gave the teacher a knowing smile and nod before Kurt and Rock drew the attention to themselves.

Raising an eyebrow at the pro-baller's entrance and subsequent promise of playing with a proton pack, Specs became worried. He pushed his glasses up his nose.

"Uh, yeah, we'll definitely maybe shoot a ghost or something," he said, sliding closer to Kev.

In a much quieter voice meant for just the two of them, Specs asked, "Can we do that? Isn't the city gonna get pissed if we go letting ghosts out? I was busy in the library last time that happened..."

GM Post

Scene Traits:  Specs, Twins, Kev in the lobby, Rock in tiny shorts by a greased pole.

Cut to the Main room surrounded by Wilderness Kids and other Ghostbusters.

Kurt's cell phone rings and he picked it up.

"Yeah Cindy, now is not a good time. You have been getting a lot of junk mail, yes. Uh no, it is stacked up in front of your door and covered in slime is different. Yes, yes I know you're scared. Ok, fine I will ask the Ghosterbusters".

Kurt pauses for a moment and looks around at the kids.

The Door Bell Rings at Local Ghostbuster HQ. It seemed to be a continuous lean on the button very continuously

spacer.png
He was hoping to avoid that image of Rock in his skivvies but it seemed to be moving in a better direction at least. He can only sigh a bit as it all is happening and his rolls his neck.

"No, I'm always the one that gets slimed by the runners. We're not letting one of them out.

Not explaining how these things work either. Set up some cans or something." he suggests, and the door bell rings.

Ugh, probably another late kid or something. Ah, well - to think he might have gotten a nap in today or something.
OOC