System for a System trope game.

LaRoche

I'm mulling over a game idea that fits into the life turns into a game trope and want to get some opinions on a rpg system that would fit into the plug in play abilities people and monsters could generate from suddenly gaining skill levels or abilities from fending off the sudden appearance of monsters. Growth would be less leveling up but more the more you use an ability the stronger it grows.

Are you talking about like those isekai anime shows where someone from the real world ends up in a fantasy world? I ran a game like that for an IRL group; I had everyone make video game / anime characters using Big Eyes Small Mouth. They went to "Japanicon" and during the costume contest a "strange force" made everyone turn into their costumed character. It was fun.

As far as a level-less system... I've never heard of one like that. You're describing Final Fantasy 2 (Japan), though. They had no levels; you had to get hit and lose HP to gain max HP, hit things to increase to-hit, etc.

I actually have played (and a couple times tried to run) a game like that using D&D 3.5e where I would arbitrarily assign upgrades based on the fiction. It's not super balanced, but people seemed to enjoy it.

Sorry, I know this isn't super helpful.

Yeah that kind of feel. I've played tristat BESM before a long time back. Might still have books for it. 3.5/pathfinder I'm very acquainted with but I feel like it gets too crunchy. If a blanket WOD might work too but then it's trying to fit in the magic/abilities. What I'm thinking of has a something that could be substituted for mana or stamina as well. To fuel non magic abilities.

Also thinking maybe Scion might expand on my WOD idea.

Edited by LaRoche (see edit history)

9 hours ago, LaRoche said:

I'm mulling over a game idea that fits into the life turns into a game trope and want to get some opinions on a rpg system that would fit into the plug in play abilities people and monsters could generate from suddenly gaining skill levels or abilities from fending off the sudden appearance of monsters. Growth would be less leveling up but more the more you use an ability the stronger it grows.

That's how Basic Roleplaying's Universal Game Engine works: the more you use a skill, the better you get at it, essentially. It's a versatile but easy to play system that accommodates most rpg genres (Call of Cthulhu and Runequest are based on this system).

I think pretty much any point-buy system (GURPS, Hero, BESM/Tri-Stat, Savage Worlds, etc) could work for this as long as you just restrict players to buying abilities they've been using. Of course, as Jedaii said, Basic Roleplaying is actually built around that exact idea.

2 hours ago, Jedaii said:

That's how Basic Roleplaying's Universal Game Engine works: the more you use a skill, the better you get at it, essentially. It's a versatile but easy to play system that accommodates most rpg genres (Call of Cthulhu and Runequest are based on this system).

Looking at the previews I could find online that looks like it alright. My question of course is does the rulebook have generic magic/abilities or just rules for how to build in magic/psychic etc?

8 minutes ago, LaRoche said:

Looking at the previews I could find online that looks like it alright. My question of course is does the rulebook have generic magic/abilities or just rules for how to build in magic/psychic etc?

It has powers, psionics and spells for groups looking for more fantastical elements, yes.