Year 2947: Theft of the Moon

Vladim

Fundor has been travelling with that company for several days, now, but still he doesn't know much of his companions. During the travel days, Fundor had spent much of his time exploring ahead of the company. And at the end of the day, when it was time for eating and talking, the tiredness would soon send them him into sleep.

That's why Fundor is very surprised at the High Elf reaction over the Old Mab, and also at the emotion he could read on the Huntress face. He mumbles in his beard, and then approach Vesna while taking something in his backpack and show her a small flute. Please accept this gift, as a paiement for your fresh water and for your Old Mab help. That was my favorite flute when i was young and running inside the galleries of Nan-i-Naugrim. Fundor plays a few notes and then hand the instrument to the girl You'll see, this is quite easy-to-use and you might quickly play joyful mucic notes.

Now Fundor is ready to leave.

As the old woman spoke, Idunn clenched her fists, and tried as best she could to regain her composure after the surprising outpouring of emotion. She wiped her few tears, closed her eyes and finally drank the tea that was offered to her. As she did, she quietly promised to return. Marching to the Falrock had to take precedence for now.

At length, she returned to her fellowship, looking at her companions with an apologetic expression. It betrayed embarrassment. She had shown weakness, and for that she felt guilty, yet she did not wish to dwell on the matter. ’I am sorry.’ she offered plainly, ’I should not have caused a delay. But let us be off now!’ She nodded her approval at Fundor as he offered his parting gift, and that gesture of his did much to earn her trust and respect, for it convinced her that he had a heart of gold. She too said goodbye to Mab and Vesna and followed her companions.

Her thoughts were still in the past, so she scouted ahead, following the tracks, and that gave her some time alone to sort out her thoughts in privacy.

While leavng, Fundor stops at Old Mab I thank you for your assistance on our task. If you agree,
I'd like to come back someday. You seem to have deep wisdom and knowledge of old times, and I have a great interest in my people history who, ages ago, had mansions in the nearly mountains. And on my side, I could help you in any task that you would need for your house.

Gramtyng gave a small bow as thanks to Mab and walked after Idunn silently - it was hard to watch the usually stoic huntress get this emotional. Still... It only meant he would have to make good on his word and support Idunn's vengeance. Though in the end, to the bard's mind, it was merely a beast, even if a powerful one - one that had to be hunted mercilessly, with methods unfamiliar to it. But Mab's reaction... he didnt know what to make of it. He gently clapped Idunn on the shoulder, muttering just loud enough for her to hear: "We'll get him. Promised, didnt I?"

Vesna accepted the flute from the dwarf a bit sheepishly, with Mab chuckling and whispering loudly: "Say thank you, dear." This seemed enough to earn Fundor a smile from the old woman's little helper and a nervous 'thank you!'. She ran back to Mab's side quickly after, showing her the flute. Mab herself turned to answer Fundor, nodding to the dwarf in a friendly manner: "All those that keep an open mind are welcome in my home, as long as they are willing to put in work. I've some knowledge of the folk of the stone that I could draw on." The conversation finished, Mab went back to her knitting, humming a catchy tune.

The road continued to wind onward as the Company left Mab's grove, though the path remained as open as before, and the crow continued flying somewhere overhead, cawing at random times as if to let them know it was still there. No spiderwebs could be seen anymore - thanks to that, there seemed to be more animals. The trail of the thieves is very clear, and by the estimations of how the journey had went, they would approach the Falrock in the morning.

Notes

You could march the entire night and have to roll Athletics in accordance with Forced March Rules, or alternatively you can camp out. Camping would mean the usual Camp rolls, the last opportunity to earn AP before the Adventure ends: TN14 Explore Roll for the Scout, TN14 Hunting roll (Remember you cant actually 'hunt' - you'd be fishing or something similar) for the Huntsman, TN16 Awareness check for the Lookout, and whatever the Guide wishes to do in camp. You have another roll you can do, whatever you'd like to do around camp, and then we will proceed to the final part of the adventure.

Fundor has a quick look at the thieves tracks on the path, he's unsure of their advance of them. Turning to the Bride : Idunn, if you have a close look at this tracks, do you think that you could estimate if we may catch them up before they get to the Falrock ? If it's possible, then we might consider walking all the night, but if they are too far, then we should preserve our strengh for next day.

Idunn turned her attention away from the tracks to address her companion’s question.

’The tracks lead to the Falrock, but I cannot say how far ahead the thieves are. Even if we marched all night, there is no guarantee that we would cut them off, and some of us may still be weary from the road. But we need to decide: do we risk marching in the night, or should we pace ourselves, and form a plan once we reach our destination?’

She looked at her companions: this was a matter that concerned all of them, so the decision should be a joined one. Then, she turned her attention back to the tracks, trying to discover if she could discern any clues.

Cilderic nods one last time towards the old woman and moves on with the fellowship.
" I am eager to resolve this matter.There is much to do. I would counsel that we again march through the night in order to better take our quarry by surprise."

Cilderic seems more and more restless and he moves to scout ahead.

I remember what Odo told us : The thieves aren't very strong (apart of their boss) but there is probably more people already waiting them at the Falrock. And when they are all stuck together in that place, it might be much more difficult for us to confront them and get back the Sickle of Full Moon. I think we should go now, loose no time and walk as much as we can during the night. If we are fast enough, we may find time at the end to get a small rest before the thieves are here.

Nori looked to the path ahead of the group, his fists buried into his sides just above the hips. The dwarf didn't seem thrilled about the idea of doggedly pursuing the thieves as suggested, but he did not openly protest the idea either. Looking between his companions as they made their thoughts known, the dwarf with the rust-colored hair nodded in agreement with their suggestion before saying, "We should get a move on then - shall I set the pace?" A brief glance is given to Cilderic as he passes him by, moving along to scout the terrain ahead of them.

"Whatever helps us bring our pursuit to a close... One last push, then." Gramtyng sighed, recalling with a bit of pity the soft sensation of his cape under his head and the cozy warmth of an evening fire while wrapped in a blanket, but tightened his belt and followed after Nori.

The tracks that Idunn expects are certainly fresh - but the ability to determine how many hours old they are, and correctly estimating their own speed along with the enemy's is a bit beyond her luck - partially due to the fact that the Falrock's location is only estimated, and of the Company, only Guthred had been there. The Viglunding had remained mostly silent during the journey, only commenting that they were wise not to insult the Witch. He does not seem to be trying to insult anyone when he said the word, as it is spoken with a kind of gruff respect and measure of awe.

Notes

All right, so I need Athletics Rolls from everyone but Idunn, TN16 (Since Vladim rolled for her already). Failure results in 2 Fatigue,
success without a Great Success is 1 Fatigue.

spacer.pngAs predicted, due to their hurry, the Company has reached the Falrock at night - despite Idunn's masterful tracking, there was not much to be done with the thieves, who hurried like the Shadow itself was whipping them, ignoring roads and obstacles, cutting their way through bramble and thorn, leaving shreds of clothing and even blood on the branches. Or... perhaps they were scared? But of what? Either way, the Falrock loomed ahead, an small ruined fort which connected two banks of the Rushdown river: there is a proper bridge leading up to it, though broken in places, but quite usable. There are fires lit in the fort ahead - campfires and torches. It doesnt seem like anyone has noticed the advance of the Company. After some simple looking around, it becomes apparent the bridge(likely under watch) is not the only way to cross - there is a series of rocks off to the side as well, and one could leap rock to rock and get across that way, avoiding the sentries.

Required Rolls

This requires three Athletics tests, each at a TN12. Failure at an Athletics test means the hero loses 2 Endurance and must swim back to shore and start again. Once on the main rock, the heroes must sneak up to the campsite without being observed. In order to surprise the thieves in combat, a TN 14 Stealth Check is required.

Upon reaching the Falrock at their heightened, nearly reckless pace, Nori stops near the edge of the clearing to dig his axe into the ground and unhook his backpack from his shoulders, allowing most of his equipment to slide off his back and onto the forest floor. Bending over and cupping his knees with his hands, the heavily-breathing dwarf takes a moment to recover. He raises his head so that his eyes can look at the island "fortress" in the bright moonlight while he pants, each second passing causing his breathing to reduce and ease. He notes the clear, but treacherous pathway up the rocks as well as the obvious path across the bridge. However, the options don't seem to sit well with him given his current physical state. With a grimace, he looks about to his companions as they arrive on the scene, complaining, "Is there no other way to get across beyond playing skip-jump across those stones or waltzing across that bridge?"

When under the stars light, the company arrives at the Falrock, Fundor has a close watch at the fort, the rocky pass and the wall aperture, trying to find the best way to be stealthy and wary. Then he adjusts its equipment so that they make no noise while moving. And finally, (after the first companion with the rope) Fundor starts walking and jumping from rock to rock ...

’One could swim,’ replied Idunn to Nori in a whisper, ’but it would likely be foolish. The currents of the river are strong and treacherous, and without light, it would be even more dangerous to try.’ With a quiet movement, she requested silence, and carefully tried to approach the entrance to the complex, while still remaining hidden under the trees. Then, she used her hands to carefully part the leaves here and there, attempting to get a detailed look of the fort.

’They are quarrelling about something.’ Idunn finally said. ’I cannot make out what, but this is our chance: we must not waste time! There is a breach in the palisade.’ she continued, pointing to where the timber had crumbled. ’I think it is the best way in. I will cross the river and tie Ellerina’s rope to the other side. Those who follow can use it to cross after me.’

This was not a time for debate, so the huntress acted quickly. As she jumped from stone to stone, she noted that they were slippery, and at times she felt like she was about to take a plunge into the cold waters, but she eventually made it to the other side. She tied the rope to a tree and hurled the other end to the fellowship, warning her companions about the slippery rocks as they crossed. As soon as everyone had crossed the river, she readied her axe, and quietly entered the fort.

Where others snuck across, making their way quietly and quickly, Gramtyng had other ideas. The reckless Rohirrim got across just fine, holding the rope that Idunn tied down on the other bank, and did not follow his companions when they squeezed through the hole in the wall of the old fort. Instead, he felt around for a nicely sized rock, weighed it in his hand, grinned, and ran over to the entrance where the watchmen stood, half-crouched to reduce his visibility. Positioning himself in the bush, he threw the rock as hard as he could towards the water's edge. The loud sound of water being disturbed instantly drew attention, while the bard placed both his hands on his mouth and made a complicated expression, his throat straining as strange, sinister, guttural laughter came from the direction of the bridge. "You hear that?" One glance at the other, worried: "That sounded like an orc! Better go check it out." Growled the other. "We aint expecting 'visitors'." The other nodded and jogged over to the bridge, holding his shield up and inspecting it. "Well?" Impatiently called the other after him, taking a few steps away from the entrance - all Gramtyng needed to sneak behind him and get inside the yard to join the rest of the Company. "I dont see anything!" An indignant voice could be heard behind them. The look on Gramtyng's face was sour to say the least: "I was trying to imitate a woman's laugh." Was all he commented.

Guthred stared at the bard for a moment, shaking his head, but motioned to continue along. Now that the Company were within the walls, the previously muffled conversation was far simpler to hear: the ones arguing were men, a coarse voice with a strange accent that did not seem like anything from Wilderland. The other was a sly voice that spoke with a vividly fake cheerful tone, made more morbid by the contents of the conversation. "What do you think Valter will think of your... Bargaining, Cenric?" The sly voice spoke next: "Why, that I've a business sense about myself. Is that not why he asked me to acquire this item? I would like to renegotiate my terms. Nothing unfair about it, Gizik." There was silence for a short, and then the other man, Gizik, replied slowly: "I dont expect a dog like you to understand loyalty... Maybe Valter was counting on your greed. We can negotiate... But dont forget that at the end of the day, you bound your fate to his." Cenric merely laughed.

"What is fate? I'm here one day, there the next. Job's a job, its all quite normal. I get paid, I'm loyal. He's got nothing to worry about, aint like I was gonna skin someone and frame him." The other man uttered a phrase in a rough, unfamiliar language, with a tone of amusement, followed by some laughter from the sides. "Do you believe your slaves would hold up against my men, Cenric? Shameful.... They barely survived that trip. What did you promise them, dog? Freedom? Death?" Cenric's laughed in return, but it was not a happy sound, the man perhaps realizing he was being mocked: "Freedom? No, no... The only real way to trust a man is if you hold an edge over him. So gullible... I just left them with Viglund." Someone coughed. "Hostages, then. I should call you a snake, instead."