Questions and Answers

Faux Flag

52 minutes ago, theredshirtwholive said:

If I'm doing the Versatile heritage for human, am I allowed to take a feat with the tag "general" even if it also has the tag "skill?"

Yes, as long as it has the General trait, it can be taken as the Versatile heritage feat.

On 6/6/2022 at 8:58 PM, theredshirtwholive said:

Good to know. Additionally, do I have to take any feats to be able to use guns?

There's no specific feat to be able to use guns; as an Investigator, you're Trained in all Simple and Martial weapons which includes firearms in those categories. As all firearms are Uncommon, you need to have access to them to be able to use them regardless of proficiency. If you look in the character creation thread, there's a paragraph on gaining access to guns but the most common would be if your character is native to a place where firearms are common (such as Alkenstar or Ustalav).

On 6/6/2022 at 11:36 PM, theredshirtwholive said:

Finally, what are the rules re: equipment budget?

Starting money is the standard 15 gp for 1st level  characters to spend as you see fit.

I can't think of any reason you'd particularly object, but you said to ask about Uncommon stuff that's not on the table, so - how do you feel about Ratfolk? Haven't quite settled on a class yet, am wavering between Investigator, Inventor, or Swashbuckler, but I like ratfolk for tinkery and investigative stuff. And also am just fond of them.

7 hours ago, Davkas said:

I can't think of any reason you'd particularly object, but you said to ask about Uncommon stuff that's not on the table, so - how do you feel about Ratfolk? Haven't quite settled on a class yet, am wavering between Investigator, Inventor, or Swashbuckler, but I like ratfolk for tinkery and investigative stuff. And also am just fond of them.

No problem at all!

On 6/9/2022 at 12:03 AM, theredshirtwholive said:

How hard is it to get firearms when you're on the other side of the law in Alkenstar? I'm trying to pick my investigator's weaponry (probably gonna go ranged), and yet again it's so many options..

Great question! Alkenstar tightly controls the level of firearms produced and available within the city to artificially inflate their rarity. However, crime is also rife enough in the city that a healthy supply of guns falls through the cracks and can be purchased by those on the other side of the law with few questions.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:44 PM, theredshirtwholive said:

Since I can't see my character needing all the stationery and seals and whatnot in a writing set, would it be all right if I just got spare ink and paper instead for my character to take notes?

Sure.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:20 PM, Laird_Thorne said:

I am considering taking a monk with the Bullet Dancer Archetype. Would Ki Strike be able to be applied to Shots from a pistol/musket or to butt strikes with the stock/butt if in the Bullet Dancer Stance ?

I think it would be up for debate but I'm going to say it would work, as Bullet Dancer Stance lets you make Flurry of Blows and other monk unarmed attacks (and it's cool). The only constraint would be shots from a simple firearm with Ki Strike would still have to be within half the weapon's first range increment, as per the last bit in Bullet Dancer Stance.