Farah Arsala, Tabaxi Soulknife

VennDygrem

Farah Arsala
You know that tickle on the back of your neck when you're afraid? That's me.
MW Sheet | DDB

spacer.png
Basic Information

Race: Tabaxi | Sex: Female | Age: 17
Size: Medium | Height: 5'7" | Weight: 130 lb
Alignment: Chaotic Good Background: UrchinSkill Proficiencies: Sleight of Hand, Stealth (changed to History, due to race overlap)
Tool Proficiencies: Disguise kit, thieves’ tools (changed to Cook's Utensils, due to class overlap)

Feature: City Secrets
You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class: Rogue (Soulknife) | Deity: Sehanine

Personality

"Our destiny is our's to shape, no one else's. So let's make it a fun one!"

I hide scraps of food and trinkets away in my pockets.
I bluntly say what other people are hinting at or hiding.

Ideals

"You're not that tough, you're just a bully. They're not the same thing! Real strength is being able to look out for yourself and the little guy."

Respect. All people, rich or poor, deserve respect. (Good)

Bonds

"I probably would have died years ago if not for Namira. We're sisters, and we've always looked out for each other."

I owe my survival to another urchin who taught me to live on the streets.

Flaws

"You want to stand around like an idiot and get yourself killed, be my guest. I've got other plans."

It’s not stealing if I need it more than someone else.
If I’m outnumbered, I will run away from a fight.

Proficiency Bonus +2 | checked-shield.svg AC:  16Studded Leather (12 + Dex)
Dexterity 18 (+4)
 | health-normal.svg Max HP: 27 | walking-boot.svg Speed: 30ft | awareness.svg PP: 14 | sprint.svg Init: +4 | night-vision.svg Darkvision: 60ft

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
meditation.svg
WISDOM
aura.svg
CHARISMA
(+1)
(+4)
(+3)
(+2)
(+2)
(+0)
+1 STR Save +6 DEX Save + 3 CON Save +4 INT Save +2 WIS Save +0 CHA Save

+3 Athletics

+8 Acrobatics
+6 Sleight of Hand
+6 Stealth

+2 Arcana
+4 History
+4 Investigation
+2 Nature
+2 Religion

+2 Animal Handling
+4 Insight
+2 Medicine
+4 Perception
+2 Survival

+0 Deception
+0 Intimidation
+0 Performace
+0 Persuasion

Bold: Trained skill
Expertise: Acrobatics, Thieves' Tools

Backstory

Every adventurer's got a story to tell. Farah just happens to love stories, even if she's not great at telling them. Her own tale, packed as it is with tragedy, some peril, and a hint of comedy, she mostly keeps to herself.

Farah Arsala was born to loving tabaxi parents in Asarius, both of whom had previously lived in Nicodranas. They would tell stories of the beautiful coastline and vibrant city life, which fascinated young Farah. They never said what brought them to Asarius, always changing the subject whenever their child's inquiries came up. Still, the family lived a happy, if meager life, at least for a few years.

One day while five-year-old Farah was out playing with some local children, both of her parents vanished. When the young tabaxi girl returned home, it was roped off and crawling with Aurora Watch soldiers. The frightened girl hid, returning only long after the soldiers had left. She found the entire household empty, save for a small, stuffed animal shaped like a mouse and a scroll of parchment. Knowing she couldn't stay in her home long, the next day she took to the streets, learning the finer points of pickpocketing and other unsavory skills to survive. Even so, many a chilly night was spent nursing a hungry belly, and fear and loneliness are poor companions.

Adapting to living on the streets was surprisingly easy for the young tabaxi, who discovered she could make her own luck more often than not, and if she concentrated really hard, she could whisper thoughts directly into people's minds and even hear their responses. Despite this, Farah learned the hard way that it's always better to have someone you can rely on than to go it completely alone.

As happens occasionally to even the greatest thief, Farah chose the wrong pocket to pick, and soon the target was calling for the guards. As luck would have it, a young goblin with peculiar light-blue skin had been observing and managed to talk the guard out of arresting the tabaxi thief. They've been inseparable ever since, looking out for one another, swindling folks with just a bit too much coin hanging from their belt, and planning for how one day they would make it out of the City of Beasts.

While Namira was always the more legitimate of the two, both she an Farah managed to get in and out of trouble. Being that both grew up orphaned on the streets of Asarius, they only had each other to rely on, but that was enough for them. Even when an opportunity to be taken into a home would arise, they turned it down. They had all the family that they needed. Now that they're practically adults, the two decided to finally enact their plans to leave Asarius and make their mark on the world.

Background: Urchin

Skill Proficiencies: Sleight of Hand, Stealth History*

Tool Proficiencies: Disguise kit, thieves’ tools Cook's Utensils**

Feature: City Secrets

You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

*Traded due to overlap in proficiency granted by Tabaxi traits
**Traded due to overlap in proficiency granted by Rogue class

Background Q&A
  • What's one small heroic deed you've already accomplished?
    Namira and Farah often pulled a two-part con, where the goblin would play music for the public while Farah would pickpocket the distracted crowds. One day during such a scheme, Namira was suddenly arrested by members of the Aurora Watch. Surprisingly, it was not due to her connection to the pickpocketing racket, but out of suspicion in connection to a series of disappearances. In each case, people were lured away by a mysterious 'piper.' Farah provided evidence that Namira couldn't be responsible, thereby securing her release, but the two got swept up in the investigation to find the mysterious kidnapping piper. Following the leads, the duo tracked down the piper to a hidden underground lair where the perpetrator, in truth a devious fey creature, had been kidnapping people from the city to fuel their attempt to open a portal to the Feywild. The two disrupted the fey's plans, but since the government cared more about protecting the war-beast breeding pits than some missing slum-folk, they were merely given a pat on the back by the authorities. The families of the people saved, on the other hand, were much more grateful than the Aurora Watch.
  • Do you give your trust easily, or do people have to earn your trust?
    Farah had to learn that most people can't be trusted while fending for herself, along with Namira, on the streets of Asarius. However, she believes that being prepared can mitigate the effects of trust that's been misplaced.
  • What's one thing you want more than anything else? How will being an adventurer help you achieve it?
    Farah wants respect more than anything, and adventuring can bring both wealth and accolades.
  • Why is your character in Jigow? What brought them here?
    Farah and Namira set out for Jigow to seek their fortunes and prove their worth. Asarius is fairly big with opportunities, but staying in one place too long is more likely to be a hindrance than a help.

Racial Traits

Cat’s Claws
You can use your claws to make unarmed strikes. When you hit with them, you deal 1d6+1 slashing damage.

Cat’s Talent
You’re proficient in Perception and Stealth.

Darkvision
You can see in dim light within 60 ft. of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light, only discerning colors in that darkness as shades of gray.

Feline Agility
When you move on your turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn. Once used, you can’t use this trait again until you move 0 ft. on one of your turns.

Class Features

Expertise
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make for two chosen proficiencies. [Thieves' Tools, Acrobatics]

Sneak Attack
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 2d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Thieves’ Cant
You have learned thieves’ cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. It takes four times longer to convey such a message than it does to speak the same idea plainly.

Cunning Action
You can take a bonus action on each of your turns to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Steady Aim Optional Class Feature, TCoE pg. 62
As a bonus action, you give yourself advantage on your next attack roll on the current turn. You can use this bonus action only if you haven’t moved during this turn, and after you use the bonus action, your speed is 0 until the end of the current turn.

Roguish Archetype: Soulknife

Psionic Power
You have 4 Psionic Energy dice (1d6), and they fuel various psionic powers you have. Once per short or long rest, recover 1 Psionic Energy die as a bonus action.

Psi-Bolstered Knack
When your non-psionic training fails you, your psionic power can help: if you fail an ability check using a skill or tool with which you have proficiency, you can roll one Psionic Energy die and add the number rolled to the check, potentially turning failure into success. You expend the die only if the roll succeeds.

Psychic Whispers
You can establish telepathic communication between yourself and others—perfect for quiet infiltration. As an action, choose one or more creatures you can see, up to a number of creatures equal to your proficiency bonus, and then roll one Psionic Energy die. For a number of hours equal to the number rolled, the chosen creatures can speak telepathically with you, and you can speak telepathically with them. To send or receive a message (no action required), you and the other creature must be within 1 mile of each other. A creature can’t use this telepathy if it can’t speak any languages, and a creature can end the telepathic connection at any time (no action required). You and the creature don’t need to speak a common language to understand each other.

The first time you use this power after each long rest, you don’t expend the Psionic Energy die. All other times you use the power, you expend the die.

Psychic Blades
Whenever you take the Attack action, you can manifest a psychic blade from your free hand and make the attack with that blade (a simple melee weapon with finesse, thrown, and range 60 ft.). On a hit, it deals 1d6+4 psychic damage.

After you attack with the blade, you can make a melee or ranged weapon attack with a second psychic blade as a bonus action on the same turn, provided your other hand is free to create it. The damage die of this bonus attack is 1d4, instead of 1d6.

Equipment & Wealth

Currency: 20 gp 49 sp 10 cp

Equipment Qty Weight Cost
Studded Leather armor 1 13 lbs. 45 gp
Dagger 2 2 lbs. 4 gp
Shortsword 1 2 lbs. 10 gp
Shortbow 1 2 lbs. 25 gp
Quiver (arrows) 1 (20) 2 lbs. 2 gp
Thieves' Tools 1 1 lb. 25 gp
Common Clothes 1 3 lbs. 5 sp
Burglar's PackIncludes a backpack, a bag of 1,000 ball bearings, 10 feet of string, a bell, 5 candles, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, a hooded lantern, 2 flasks of oil, 5 days rations, a tinderbox, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it. 1 47.5 lbs. 16 gp
Bedroll 1 7 lbs. 1 gp
Steel Mirror 1 0.5 lbs. 5 gp
Cook's Utensils 1 8 lbs. 1 gp

Old (Kaz)

Kazmak'ik Akzizilak, aka 'Kaz'
“It's a big, scary world out there, but its secrets won't uncover themselves! Let's get on with it!”
Character Sheet

8f836752852d6140f1558daca602b682.jpg

Basic Information

Race: Kobold | Sex: Male
Alignment: Chaotic Good | Background: Urchin
Class: Wizard | Subclass: Graviturgy

Personality

The search for answers is worth facing your fears. Sometimes hiding is just the right answer."

I like to squeeze into small places where no one else can get to me.
I ask a lot of questions.

Ideals

"You can change your own fortunes - you just have to be willing to tip the scales in your favor."

Change. The low are lifted up, and the high and mighty are brought down. Change is the nature of things. (Chaotic)

Bonds

"I wouldn't be where I am if I hadn't taken this book... but how would I have known it's so valuable?"

I escaped my life of poverty by robbing an important person, and I’m wanted for it.

Flaws

"Stand my ground? Are you kidding? Look at the size of those guys!"

If I’m outnumbered, I will run away from a fight.

Proficiency Bonus +2 | checked-shield.svg AC:  1316 when Mage Armor is active (which is usually) | health-normal.svg Max HP: 26 | walking-boot.svg Speed: 30ft | awareness.svg PP: 15 | sprint.svg Init: +3 | night-vision.svg Darkvision: 60ft

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
meditation.svg
WISDOM
aura.svg
CHARISMA
(+1)
(+3)
(+2)
(+0)
(+0)
(-1)
+1 STR Save +3 DEX Save + 2 CON Save +6 INT Save +2 WIS Save +2 CHA Save

+1 Athletics

+3 Acrobatics
+5 Sleight of Hand
+5 Stealth

+6 Arcana
+6 History
+6 Investigation
+0 Nature
+0 Religion

+0 Animal Handling
+0 Insight
+0 Medicine
+0 Perception
+0 Survival

+2 Deception
+2 Intimidation
+2 Performace
+2 Persuasion

Backstory

Kobolds are known for their keen trapmaking skills and talent for overwhelming foes in numbers, and the magically-gifted among them draw upon the power of their supposed draconic heritage. Every so often, however, a kobold is born among the clutch with no talent for artifice nor innate sorcerous magic, and in many cases these castoffs are not long for this world. Abandoned at a young age as a weak link in the clan, Kazmak'ik Akzizilak is one of these poor, reptilian wretches.

His clan didn't count on Kaz being as crafty and resourceful as he is. He was found and raised by a shrewd half-orc by the name of Pashek, a lone, wandering nomad with more cryptic stories to tell than can be counted. Though it was far from easy, the two managed to survive day-to-day traversing the treacherous paths of the Ashkeeper Peaks and scavenging the remains of travelers who failed to make it through the mountain. Pashek would teach Kaz the ways and history of the world, and in return Kaz gave Pashek some measure of the comfort of family. On occasion, Kaz and Pahsek made their way down the mountains and to Asarius, the City of Beasts. They made meager coin by guiding travelers to and from the city through the Ashkeeper Peaks, tending to take the tunnels through the Underdark only when walking the surface paths would be too treacherous. The few times Kaz guided travelers alone, his success rate as a guide was, well... not as high as keeping his own hide unscathed, to put it mildly. As long as new clients were plentiful and never discovered the results of a failed expedition, business was good enough to keep Kaz's belly full more often than not.

Yet, Kaz longed for more prestige and greater purpose, like the heroes of Pashek's tales. He knew there were many among his kin with magical talents, and often marveled at the feats performed by mages in the cities and traveling parties he served as guide for. As luck would have it, Kaz's fortunes were destined to change. While scouting new paths through the Ashkeepers, Kaz heard a tremendous crashing noise coming from a distance. Cautiously, he crept his way closer to the source, only to discover something awe-striking. Cresting a sharp incline, the curious kobold found a large crater strewn with the remains of what appeared to once have been a baroque carriage, certainly ill-equipped for traveling through the mountain paths. Wreckage had been cast everywhere, and the mysterious owner had seemingly perished. Kaz could find no indication as to what happened here, but it was clear that the deceased traveler was a wizard of some sort. He rummaged through the debris and found little of value that hadn't been pulverized or fractured, but some items stood out. A medium-sized chest had been blown apart, but its contents included an ornately decorated spellbook with an odd geometric pattern on the cover, as well as a small crystal that resonated with arcane power.

The items fascinated Kaz, and he spent hours, days perhaps, reading through the tome. Manyof its pages were blank, but it contained several arcane spells and chapters of notes on subject matter Kaz was wholly unfamiliar with, even things Pashek had never made mention of. However, he was enthralled with the idea that he could use these items to learn wizardry, and within a very short time, he had mastered his first cantrip. Over the next several weeks, Kaz used the notes and instructions contained in the spellbook to learn more magic, and by that time he was hooked. He was determined to rise above his station and become a great wizard, as well as to master the rare form of magic described in the pages of the tome known as dunamancy. He hid the book from Pashek, uncertain of his reaction.

Unbeknownst to Kaz, he was not the only one who know of the existence of the dead mage's spellbook. Though the trail had gone cold while tracking the mage, word found its way to the ears of a drow mercenary tasked with intercepting the spellbook that it had turned up again... now in the hands of a mere kobold. Aullara Kessrel cornered Kaz and captured him, keeping him bound and trapped in a sack for what seemed like ages, but was likely little more than a week and a half. Then, one day, Kaz heard a scuffle as his sack was knocked to the ground. Kaz heard Pashek's voice and sounds of a fight between the older half-orc and his captor. In the confusion, Kaz slipped away, grabbing the spellbook and his meager belongings before finding a place to hide. When the sound of fighting had long since subsided, Kaz ventured out from his hiding place only to find the body of his friend, mentor, and adoptive father laying cold on the riverbed alongside the Ifolon River. Kaz grieved only briefly, summoning the reserves of his strength to bury Pashek before moving on. No sign remained of the mercenary, so he cautiously made his way up the river, finding himself in Jigow as of roughly two weeks ago.

NPCs of Note

spacer.pngPashek Boska

Pashek spoke very little of his life before discovering Kaz in the wilds of the Ashkeeper Peaks. What he did elucidate upon seemed lonely; though it is not uncommon for a half-orc to be a wandering nomad, most at least travel with a tribe. Pashek was a stern mentor, but had a warm heart and cared for Kaz as best he could. As the young kobold grew older, Pashek allowed him to venture off on his own, saying it would 'build self-reliance.' When he found out the Kaz had been kidnapped off the streets of Asarius, Pashek used his tracking skills to hunt down the kidnapper and confront her. Though his actions allowed Kaz to flee to safety, it cost the half-orc his life.

Aullara Kessrel3ca21f819a06d40f5c784b4be27761cd.jpg

The Kryn Dynasty jealously guards the secrets of Dunamancy, and word of members of the Cerberus Assembly researching the rare form of magic breeds something of a rivalry. So, when Kryn mages learned of a Cerberus scholar transporting a tome of Dunamantic magic through the mountain passes separating the Dynasty from the Dwendallian Empire, they took the opportunity to liberate it. The mages sent Aullara Kessrel, one of their most accomplished spies, to retrieve the tome and 'deal with' its owner. Aullara will do anything it takes to see a mission done, though she abhors needless murder when it can be avoided. Sometimes, hands must be dirtied, however...

Background Q&A
  • What's one small heroic deed you've already accomplished?
    Shortly after acquiring his spellbook, Kaz decided to try and use it to augment his traveler-assistance business, since he wasn't particularly good at the guidance part. This time, he advertised his skills as a spellcaster, excited about his new gifts. A small party of adventurers hired him on to assist with their quest. A bandit lord was menacing a small town with the aid of a young green dragon; what they didn't know is this dragon was the bandit lord, using magic to disguise themselves as a bugbear. Although weakened from a previous injury, the green dragon was cunning and more than a match for the adventurers, though Kaz's quick thinking and his use of well-timed graviturgy slowed the creature enough to hinder it, and allowed the rest of the party a chance to strike a felling blow.
  • Do you give your trust easily, or do people have to earn your trust?
    Kaz is slow to trust, having been abandoned by his clan and being raised alone by Pashek. He will work readily with new faces, though is likely to cast a glance over his shoulder for a long time, expecting betrayal though not looking for it specifically. What's one thing you want more than anything else?
  • How will being an adventurer help you achieve it?
    Kaz wants to be a great wizard, powerful and respected for his craft. Adventuring will allow him not only to build a reputation, but uncover mysteries and expose him to new magic to learn, as well as potentially discovering potent magical items and artifacts like the ones described in his books.
  • Why is your character in Jigow? What brought them here?
    Kaz was literally brought to Jigow, in a bag. At least, not far from there. A spy for a group of Kryn mages captured him for both the tome of spells he had acquired, as well as any secrets he may have learned from said spellbook. His adoptive father saved him, but at the cost of his own life. The spy escaped, and is likely still tracking Kaz.

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)
Name
Stats 1
14; 10; 7; 10; 14; 12
keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3) [6,5,3,1]; [6,5,3,1,4,3,3,2]; [6,5,3,1,4,3,3,2,3,2,2,1]; [6,5,3,1,4,3,3,2,3,2,2,1,5,3,2,2]; [6,5,3,1,4,3,3,2,3,2,2,1,5,3,2,2,6,5,3,3]; [6,5,3,1,4,3,3,2,3,2,2,1,5,3,2,2,6,5,3,3,5,4,3,1]
Stats 2
12; 11; 14; 14; 8; 16
keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3) [6,4,2,1]; [6,4,2,1,6,3,2,1]; [6,4,2,1,6,3,2,1,6,6,2,1]; [6,4,2,1,6,3,2,1,6,6,2,1,5,5,4,2]; [6,4,2,1,6,3,2,1,6,6,2,1,5,5,4,2,6,1,1,1]; [6,4,2,1,6,3,2,1,6,6,2,1,5,5,4,2,6,1,1,1,6,5,5,2]
Stats 2
15; 12; 12; 10; 14; 7
keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3);keep(4d6,highest,3) [6,5,4,4]; [6,5,4,4,5,4,3,2]; [6,5,4,4,5,4,3,2,6,3,3,2]; [6,5,4,4,5,4,3,2,6,3,3,2,5,3,2,1]; [6,5,4,4,5,4,3,2,6,3,3,2,5,3,2,1,5,5,4,2]; [6,5,4,4,5,4,3,2,6,3,3,2,5,3,2,1,5,5,4,2,3,2,2,1]
Class
1d2 1
Trinket
1d100 57

Actions

pointy-sword.svg Common Attacks
Dagger (20/60) +6 to hit, 1d4+4 slashing
Shortsword  +6 to hit, 1d6+4 piercing
Cat's Claws  +3 to hit, 1d6+1 slashing
Shortbow (80/320) +6 to hit, 1d6+4 piercing
Psychic Blade (60/-) +6 to hit, 1d6+4 psychic

run.svg Bonus Actions
Psychic Blade (2nd) (60/-) +6 to hit, 1d4+4 psychic
Cunning Action Dash, Disengage, or Hide
Psionic Power: Recovery Once per short or long rest, recover 1 psychic energy die
Steady Aim If you haven't moved this turn, gain advantage on the next attack roll and your speed is 0 until the end of the current turn

Old (Kaz)

Actions

pointy-sword.svg Common Attacks
Dagger (20/60) +5 to hit, 1d4+3 slashing
Sapping Sting (30) DC 14 Con, 1d4 necrotic and prone
Shocking Grasp (Melee) +6 to hit (Adv. vs metal armor), 1d8 lightning

run.svg Bonus Actions
Draconic Cry You let out a cry at enemies within 10 ft. of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against the enemies that could hear you. You can use this 2 times per long rest.

spell-book.svg Spell Casting
INT | DC 14 | +6 Spell Attack
Spell Slots: 4 (1st level), 3 (2nd level)

Spells

Cantrips
Mage Hand
Mending
Sapping Sting
Shocking Grasp

1st Level Spells
Alarm (R)
Detect Magic (R)
Feather Fall
Find Familiar (R)
Fog Cloud