Chapter One - Blood on the Crown

bwatford

image.jpeg.6e2c0e136f0df5812ee99688a3dc909b.jpeg

CHAPTER ONE - BLOOD ON THE CROWN

Quote: Egg (speaking to the young halfling girl)
"Me and my companions are hoping to find someone who passed through. May I describe them and see if you've seen her? I'm happy to provide a few coins, or offer some simple priestly wisdom to make it worth your time."

The young halfling girl looked up at Egg, held up her empty cup and motioned for him to sit but as of yet said nothing.

When Baldur called out Byra's name the halfling girl did not jump or flinch, obviously it wasn't her.

Quote: Ky (speaking to the innkeep)
"How long has that halfling girl been here? Have you seen any others? We were hired in Onadbyr to find a missing girl. Maybe that's her, maybe it's not."

The dwarf took her money for the last remaining cots, and one spot on the floor and listened to her questions. Then he leaned over and said, "She's been in here probably for the last hour or so, there was another about a week ago that stayed a few nights." when he finished speaking Ky saw is hand opened and upturned on the bar top.  Obviously he wanted a tip for the information he had given.

With all eyes seemingly on the young halfling girl she finally speaks to Egg "I don't know wot all o' yer may think I 'ave done, or who yer might think I'm bloody well are. But the chuffin' answer is nuffink that warrants this much attention, i'n it? And surely no one 'as paid the bloody lot o' yer ter find wee ole me, so tell me, who are yer right lookin' for, then, mate?" she said as she waited for Egg to pay to refill her drink.

"The bleedin' one over at the boozer said yer was from Onadbyr, then? If yer can get us into the bloody wizard academy there then I will tell yer wotever yer want ter know." she replied with a smile. 

On This Kusha (Friday), the 30th Day of Camus (Autumn), in the 631st Year of the Age of Kings
9:09 pm

The 1st Day of the Campaign

Show Active Maps

Currently Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Egg 17 | Gwydion 17 | Baldur 15 | Kythera 14 | Yaldiled 13 | Skogrinn 12

INITIATIVE

Currently Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Currently Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Currently Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Currently Not in Use!!

BALDUR STONEBOW

Hit Points: 49/49 (RESIST:poison; ADVSAVTYPE: poisoned)
Hit Dice: 5/5
Spell Slots (+5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

EGG

Hit Points: 38/38 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNITIES: magic sleep)
Arcane Recovery: 1/1 *L
Cloak of Darkness: 1/1 *S/L
Shadow Shield: 1/1 *S/L
Spell Slots Cleric (+4, DC 12), Wizard (+8, DC 16) *L

• 2nd Level: 3/3
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

GWYDION BLACK

Hit Points: 33/33 (Uncanny Dodge)

KYTHERA SYRAS

Hit Points: 29/29
Channel Divinity: 1/1 *S/L
Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1 *L
Eyes of the Night: 1/1 *L
Spell Slots (+8, DC 16) *L

SKÓGRINN

Hit Points: 31/31 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNE: magic sleep)
Fey Step: 3/3 *L
Pact of the Talisman: 3/3 *L
Tentacle of the Deep: 3/3 *L

• 1st Level: 2/2 (Sorcerer)
  • 2nd Level: 2/2 (Warlock)

YALDILED GURVYS

Hit Points: 38/38 (RESIST:cold; IMMUNE: disease)
Bardic Inspiration: 3/3 (d8) *L
Breath Weapon: 1/1 *S
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay on Hands: 20/20 *L
Spell Slots (+6, DC 14) *L

PC

Egg High Elf Cleric 5spacer.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 17 (breastplate, shield, dex) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 17 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Eyes of the Night (Share): 1/1 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1

"Oh? Now that is quite the offer." His companions close enough know that inflection in his voice. It means he's intrigued, and his imagination is beginning to run wild. "To sate your first bit of curiosity, we are looking for another young Halfling woman. Different than you of course, she's apparently carrying a shield too big for her, has dreams of being an adventurer yet her parents disapprove. It's such a shame how the world seems to hold us back from our dreams. For her its her own kin... and of course the very likely mortal peril she's in getting in over her head. For you... the wizard academy you say?

"Who may I inquire is part of the 'us' you speak, and why the wizard academy? What drives you to go there of all places? Tell me more. I've no personal connections of importance there, but I do love seeing people chase after their dreams. It may inspire me to try." The others know that Egg very much intends to encourage this young woman to try, and will likely offer some amount of help, possibly a great deal is left to his own devices.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

PC

Kythera Syras "Ky" Human Cleric 1 / Wizard 4 Applicationspacer.png

AC: 16 (chain shirt and shield) | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Kythera listens to the information from the innkeeper. After giving him 6 silver for the hammocks and floorspace, she sees his overturned hand looking for a tip for the information. He didn't give us anything new, but he didn't know that. She places three more silver in his hand, careful not to rattle her coin pouch or show any of the gold it contained. She then says sincerely,

"Thank you."

She doesn't trust this dwarf or this place, but it likely is better than sleeping on the ground outside. She leaves the bar and approaches the others around the halfling woman, speaking so only they can hear.

"It's not her. Let's set a watch and get some rest. I'll take the darkest part of the night."

Mechanics

Notes

Byra, halfling daughter of Taem and Gyo

Willow Creek, built right into the side of a large hill it was, they were immediately accosted by a hoarde of beggars as they made their way into the village. They found the village to have no walls and no real militia that they could see. Prominent buildings were:

the Crossed Guard (blacksmith),

the Wise Owl (tavern): Lewis Pickerton (proprietor), Eldeth (dwarf on Inspiration Dust)

Roots and Hourglass (alchemist),

the Bearded Cabinet (general store),

the Temple of the Eternal Mother (church).

Flask and Rat, inn run by a dwarf

Sheriff Kendall

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

Yaldiled Gurvys Dragonborn Paladin 4/Bard 1

spacer.png

AC: 19 | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Attack: +6 | Spell DC: 14 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Cantrips; Vicous Mockery, Minor Illusion, Spare the Dying, Guidance
Memorized Spells;
Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▢ | Ensnaring Strike, Wrathful Smite, Bless, Command, Purify Food and Drink, Dissonant Whispers, Earth Tremor, Thunderwave, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Level 2 | ▣ ▢ |

Yaldiled smiled. "Then I shall take first. I shall not practice too loudly." There were intonations too low for most sentient beings ears. Supposedly. She'd been trying to find them. Either way, it seemed their quest would continue in the morning as the young halfling girl was not their quarry. Honestly, not too shocking. It was not like Halflings were rarer than dragons after all.

Mechanics

Main Hand: +1 Warhammer
Off Hand: Shield

The young halfling girl informed Egg that she had seen the girl with the 'shield' bigger than she was about a week ago, here at the inn.  She had stayed a few days before heading out on her quest to rid the town of the beast. She had never thought the girl was really serious about it despite the act she put on. Regardless she had not been back since.

She also informed Egg that the "us" comment referred to herself and her pet mouse 'Hedgehog'. Whom she promptly pulled from her pocket to show the stranger. Egg learned that the girl was a craftsman that had given up on her trade to become a wizard and to learn magic. But no one wanted to teach her, so she figured if she could get accepted at the wizard school in Onadbyr then they would teach her. Obviously, the girl did not know how the whole process worked, and she had no chance of getting into the academy with no natural aptitude for magic, Egg wasn't even sure if the girl had been born under the right eclipse to even be able to touch the weave.

Finishing the conversation, the group retired for the evening and at first light they had awoken to find that the inn was serving salted pork and leeks with a tankard of beer for 9 coppers this morning. It smelled much better than it sounded, and actually tasted way better than it smelled, it was way better than anything they had tried the night before at the Wise Owl tavern.

With breakfast out of the way, they prepared to head out toward the logging camp and following the logging trail west it took them about an hour to reach it. Once there they saw that there were just over a dozen workers in the camp, and various tents were set up and the equipment for doing their task. Three of the loggers bore heavy stab wounds and currently rested on cots in an open tent. Upon questioning them the group learned that they were attacked yesterday as the manticore swooped over the camp and flung a few tail spears into the area, they were the unlucky three that was in the way of them hitting the ground they had joked to the party.

The group of heroes were informed that brave little Byra ran off into the woods in the direction that the creature had went and had not returned as of yet and they can inform the group of the direction that the girl went and where they had lost sight of her in the tree line.

After about two hours of searching and tracking the group finally had found the girl, in an unexpected situation.

The girl was about a hundred and twenty feet ahead of them and stuck in an enormous, spiders web that stretched for over a hundred feet in diameter, strung between two giant oak trees, the webbing also encloses the trapped manticore about 30 feet above her, entangled so hard that it is unable to even fling its tail spikes. From the looks of it, they had both been here for quite some time and looked exhausted from struggling against the thick strands of sticky web.  Glancing around the area of the web the group did not see any threats at the moment and looked to be here alone.

The group looked at each other on what to do next.

On This Sacha (Saturday), the 31st Day of Camua (Autumn), in the 631st Year of the Age of Kings
10:09 am

Everyone is 120 feet from the web.

The 2nd Day of the Campaign

Show Active Maps

Currently Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

INITIATIVE

Currently Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Currently Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Currently Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Currently Not in Use!!

BALDUR STONEBOW

EGG

GWYDION BLACK

KYTHERA SYRAS

SKÓGRINN

YALDILED GURVYS

Baldur

Baldur Stonebow Dwarf Ranger 5Baldur(3).jpg.a5cbe35aa8f560308a6e2bd9dfb1e0d6.jpg

AC: 15 (chain shirt) | HP: 49/49 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Spells Known | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Baldur looks at the scene before him and can't help but start laughing. It is only a few deep based chuckles before he gets himself under control.

"Well, I can almost guarantee that there is a big spider around here somewhere. We will most likely not be able to get one of them free without releasing the other. And most likely attracting the spider. I would actually suggest that we shoot the manticore while it is stuck, killing it, and then see about getting the girl out."

He readies his crossbow, but waits to see if the others agree with him. Or if they have other ideas.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Heavy Crossbow
Off Hand: Heavy Crossbow

PC

AC: 16 (chain shirt and shield) | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Kythera listens to Baldur explain that there is likely a spider around - a big spider - and that we should kill the manticore while it is trapped.

"Good idea. Let's take out the manticore before this giant spider arrives. But just in case."

She touches her amulet and a strand of shadow flies forward from her hand. It coalesces into the shape of a 15' tall, black, bird-shaped shadow. Shadows initially swirl around until the shape slowly loses its darkness to reveal brown feathers, a yellow beak, and a red chest.

The oversized bird then starts to peck at the ground, looking for a giant spider to eat. She hopes that this will scare away the spiders long enough for us to kill the manticore and rescue the girl. Then if we leave the manticore, hopefully any spiders will be satisfied with that and not chase after us.

Mechanics

Move: 30' Forward

Action: Silent Image

Concentration: Silent Image - 15' tall Robin (or other local insect eating bird) at 60' in front of us, but not blocking anyone shooting the manticore.

Notes

Willow Creek, built right into the side of a large hill it was, they were immediately accosted by a hoarde of beggars as they made their way into the village. They found the village to have no walls and no real militia that they could see. Prominent buildings were:

the Wise Owl (tavern): Lewis Pickerton (proprietor), Eldeth (dwarf on Inspiration Dust)

Sheriff Kendall

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

PC

AC: 17 (breastplate, shield, dex) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 17 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Eyes of the Night (Share): 1/1 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1

Egg listens intently to the young Halfling woman intently, and her tale. He offers no promises, but it gives him food for thought for the rest of their journey. Whether he acts upon it later or not likely depends on circumstance, if inspiration or distraction finds him in the right way.

The Elf is relieved that the girl is alive, mildly surprised by it.

"I recall that she claimed to possess some sort of magical spider statue that could create a web, and I quote, 'could hold even a dragon in place'. I can try to dispel the magic... when we're ready of course." He steps forwards a bit, rubbing his chin. "Let's keep our wits about us, I also remember something about bear traps as well."

Keeping his eyes peeled, Egg starts to move closer to Byra and the Manticore. He pulls his shield up and at the ready just in case.

Mechanics

Action: Perception check for traps and other danger

Name
Perception Check for traps/danger
1d20+7 2

PC

Gwydion Black Human Rogue 5https://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/3/3a/Daring_swashbuckler.jpg

AC: 17 (Studded leather and dual wielding) | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +5 | Passive Perception: 15 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Gwydion draws his weapons so that he has a sword in either hand. For the moment, they are held casually, the points near the ground while his eyes rove around the forest. "Well, the child thought it would produce a web, at any rate. It obviously did that, but I wonder if it produced a spider first, hm? It is as well to be on our guard."

His eyes widen as a tremendous, shadowy bird appears nearby and he briefly raises his weapons to face it. After a moment, he controls his reaction and attempts to seem relaxed once more. "A little more warning next time would be lovely."

The swordsman steps forward beside Egg, joining him to scan the ground for traps. "Killing the manticore while it's trapped is the way to go, I agree. Perhaps we should have some people standing by to free the girl if things look like they might turn badly."

Edit: Forgot about the pact talisman that Gwydion has. Added it to the perception roll.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rapier
Off Hand: shortsword

Action: Perception for traps n' stuff

Edited by Past Imperfect (see edit history)
Name
Perception for traps!
1d20+7 7
roll
1d4 1

Yaldiled Gurvys Dragonborn Paladin 4/Bard 1

spacer.png

AC: 19 | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Attack: +6 | Spell DC: 14 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Cantrips; Vicous Mockery, Minor Illusion, Spare the Dying, Guidance
Memorized Spells;
Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▢ | Ensnaring Strike, Wrathful Smite, Bless, Command, Purify Food and Drink, Dissonant Whispers, Earth Tremor, Thunderwave, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Level 2 | ▣ ▢ |

Yaldiledpulls her shield and her hammer from her belt, gripping both tightly. For now she assumes a position at the rear, waiting just in case something is lurking in the trees. With all the thrashing the halfling was doing, there was a good chance something would be attracted. Best to intercept them if they went after the others trying to dispel this magic.

Mechanics

Main Hand: +1 Warhammer

Name
Perception to scan the surrounding ares
1d20+3 5

Baldur

Baldur Stonebow Dwarf Ranger 5Baldur(3).jpg.a5cbe35aa8f560308a6e2bd9dfb1e0d6.jpg

With the others all agreeing to kill the manticore before they mess with the webs, Baldur takes aim at the manticores heart, or where he thinks it would be and fires and then rapidly reloads.

Mechanics

Name
Attack mnticore
1d20+7 9
Damage
1d10+4 3

Slowly moving forward until they all were about eighty feet from Byra and the web, the group began their assault on the trapped manticore, it was pretty easy to hit using traditional arrows and non-fire dealing cantrips, taking less than a minute for the creature to stop struggling as it went limp in the web.  The blood from the creature now dripping downward, some hitting the halfling girl as she continued her struggle to get free again, using the last of her strength but it was no use.

"Yer couldn't 'ave freed me first, then, eh, luv?" the girl asked "There is an enormous spider finkbugger up in the chuffin' trees, be careful. Right." she warned as she looked up and scanned the treeline for the creature 

On This Sacha (Saturday), the 31st Day of Camua (Autumn), in the 631st Year of the Age of Kings
10:15 am

Everyone is 80 feet from the web.

The 2nd Day of the Campaign

Show Active Maps

Currently Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

INITIATIVE

Currently Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Currently Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Currently Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Currently Not in Use!!

BALDUR STONEBOW

EGG

GWYDION BLACK

KYTHERA SYRAS

• 1st Level: 3/4

SKÓGRINN

YALDILED GURVYS

Baldur

Yeah, we could have, but they we risked letting that thing loose too.

He scans the trees looking for the spider and ready to shoot it if he does.

Someone want to burn her out of there? Hopefully without torching her too. I got ya covered.

Mechanics

Readies an action to shoot the spider if he sees it.

Name
Perception check to spot the spider
1d20+5 1

PC

Kythera looks sheepishly at Gwydion when he complains about her giant bird.

"Sorry about that Gwydion. I thought you'd seen me do that enough, but I'll try to warn you next time."

She then nods at Baldur. The giant robin hops over to the edge of the web as Kythera follows. She keeps ready, in case this giant spider appears, and moves slowly so the others can keep up. As she approaches the web, she calls out gently to the halfling girl.

"Hi, Byra. Your parents sent us to come find you and help you defeat the manticore."

She starts to chant and briefly touches her amulet as a small section of the webbing melts away. She walks forward and repeats the process until she gets close to Byra.

Mechanics

Move: 30' Forward

Action: move Silent Image, then cast prestidigitation to light small sections of the web on fire.

Concentration: Silent Image - 15' tall Robin (or other local insect eating bird) at edge of the web, still pecking away as it appears to look for giant spiders.

Notes

Sheriff Kendall

PC

Ah. So it did summon an actual spider, or something close enough to it. Egg's own guess was wrong. Not the first time, and certainly not the last. Egg steps up to 60' of Byra and summons a divine saw to help begin to cut away the webs as best he can to complement Ky's cantrip.

As he does so, a ball of radiant fire forms in his hand just in case.

"But we're pleased to see you did most the job yourself." The compliment is genuine, he is quite impressed with what she accomplished alone despite her current predicament.

His distractions, both the Halfling and the potential monster are diverting his attention too much as his own weapon is cutting through naught but air.

Mechanics

Action: Hold Action Sacred Flame if this spider monster appears and acts aggressively
Bonus Action: Casting Spiritual Weapon, attacking the webs
Move: Get within 60' of the webs
Manipulate: -

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Spiritual Weapon attacking webs
1d20+7 1