Character Creation Questions

Llyarden

Okay, so, about the entire 'The Crown charges people for buildings', such as houses or apartments and so on. How exactly is the price calculated exactly? Are there taxmen who come around and evaluate the price and are rather strict on it, or is it more a negotiation between those who might have helped build the houses (or at least the funding of the buildings) about the price of the homes?

And can there be 'landlords' of sorts? People who 'own' buildings, and pay the tax, but rent the places out for other people to actually live in, and charge the people living in said houses some money?

Basically, I'm wondering whether or not it is possible for someone rich and wealthy to be able to make 'cheap housing' for the poor to give them a better place to live without forcing them to pay more?

And are there names for the different districts or regions of the city? Or is that still being worked on?

Freelancer is allowed, sure. Just bear in mind that obviously it can be very strong with the whole build-a-class thing.

The price is calculated by the government and is pretty stable. Landlords...yeah, I think it would make sense for landlords to exist, although they would have to pay the tax/rent/I-need-to-find-a-convenient-term for this on the building to the government on top of tax for the earnings as a business.

And yeah the city map is something I'm still kinda trying to work out, I apparently lost access to the program I used to have to make maps so y'all might just get something scribbled in Paint lol! But yeah, there are district names. I figure at the biggest scale the districts are named for their purpose (the noble district, crafters' district, etc) and then as you drill down you get more of a mix of practical names and areas named after famous figures.

Freelancer is very tempting. I'm trying to figure out my build, and putting all the different separate parts together has proven itself to be somewhat, difficult. Freelancer would be a perfect fit for that. On the other hand, that's part of the reason why I don't want to take it, as I would much rather not make my application more hegemonious if possible.

And thank you for the answer Llyarden, it should help me flesh out how my characters fits into the setting.

For Favored Class Bonuses, if we are taking a race/class combination which doesn't have a FCB listed, are we stuck with just picking either a hit point or skill point, or can we work to determine a FCB or have there be some default, i.e. if there isn't one you can take the human FCB for that class or something?

1 hour ago, samduke said:

just a quick hey there, read through the creation stuff

do you want applications here where it says character applications?

Knowing Llyarden and how he organizes his games, yup.

Hmm. Freelancer says that abilities that increase with level cost 20pts the first time then 10 for every improvement, how does that interact with something like a magus's Arcane Pool which has a max of 1/2lv+Int mod? Also considering there is a separate ability you can buy which lets you count your Freelancer levels as levels in a class of your choice.

Edit: Maybe figured it out for Arcane Pool specifically? Might scale with the enhancement bonus increases every 4 levels. Still doesn't answer the question for other things like Arcanist Reservoir or Monk Ki or something.

Edited by ArcNote (see edit history)

9 hours ago, samduke said:

just a quick hey there, read through the creation stuff

do you want applications here where it says character applications?

Yes. I suppose technically they're not folders any more, but in this 'section' or whatever you want it to be called.

7 hours ago, Rhallan said:

What deities are being used for the game? Pathfinder standard, some subset, something crazy?

Any alignment restrictions?

3 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

What pantheon is in use for Altea.
Ah, I noticed Father Mitaras - The High Priest of the kingdom, officially a follower of Jaidz
Empyreal Lords.

Golarion pantheon.

6 hours ago, ArcNote said:

Hmm. Freelancer says that abilities that increase with level cost 20pts the first time then 10 for every improvement, how does that interact with something like a magus's Arcane Pool which has a max of 1/2lv+Int mod? Also considering there is a separate ability you can buy which lets you count your Freelancer levels as levels in a class of your choice.

Edit: Maybe figured it out for Arcane Pool specifically? Might scale with the enhancement bonus increases every 4 levels. Still doesn't answer the question for other things like Arcanist Reservoir or Monk Ki or something.

Yeah, Freelancer be weird. I've always priced stuff that increase their uses per day with your level as increasing using the 'count your Freelancer levels as levels in a certain class' purchase. The actual improvements to the effects (like ki increasing what kind of damage you count as dealing, etc) I think would be bought separately.

3 hours ago, Mister Doctor said:

I forget, if one class feature adds, say, wisdom to damage under specific circumstances while another replaces strength with wisdom for damage, those two abilities wouldn't stack due to PF1e's 'same ability score twice' rule, right?

Depends on the bonus types. If the 'add wisdom to damage' is untyped then no it would not stack, if it was 'add an insight bonus equal to your wisdom modifier' or something then it would.