Beta 503-B IC

ArcaneStomper

Andreas Theriot

ST 10 | DX 14 | IQ 16 | HT 11 | Will 16 | Perception 16
FP 11/11 | HP 10/10 | DR xx | Base Speed 6.25 | Base Move 6

Andreas is clearly paying careful attention to the graffiti as the team passes. He stops briefly in front of each area, taking a slow and careful look, clearly memorizing not just the symbols but their positions and colors.

He'll be thinking about as he follows the lead of the team.

OOC:

Intelligence Analysis (14) - 10

Linguistics (14) - 13

Sociology (14) - 9

Streetwise (16) - 8

Urban Survival (15) - 8

Edited by Jon Walton (see edit history)
Name
roll
3d6 5,1,4
roll
3d6 6,5,2
roll
3d6 2,3,4
roll
3d6 2,2,4
roll
3d6 3,4,1

Andreas studies the graffiti and quickly comes to the conclusion that its basically a sign system. There are clearly different symbols being used on different buildings. And what look like they might be some form of distance marker. However it's also clear that the signs were intended for an in group and not casual reading. Without some kind of guide he'll have to decipher them the hard way.

Fortunately he is aided by the fact that they are referring to something physical which can identify. For instance he's seen enough symbols on office and apartment buildings that he's been able to identify the symbols for both. He also thinks he's identified the symbol for either a camp or a good place to camp given buildings marked with them have more signs of recent occupancy than others.

• 1 month later...

x7vaiiN.jpgCpl. Jordan Pierce

ST 12 | DX 14 | IQ 15 | HT 13 | Will 15 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 12/12 | DR xx | Base Speed 7 | Base Move 7

Jordan fell in step with the formation, mostly keeping close to Jack but occasionally drifting back to Tamzin to quietly discuss some puzzling aspect of Eukleides' battlesuit. When signs of human habitation began to appear, Jordan brought her tablet from her pack and linked it to her HUD and tactical comm, joining it with her custom hand sensor. As she and Manny had done early in the mission, Jordan sought out any wireless or radio communications that she might tap into. She also swept her scanners around whenever a particularly recent or interesting sign of human activity crossed their path.

As before, she was watching for active comm traffic, unusual energy sources, and motion or heat signatures -- all of which might suggest a direction or the presence of the locals that the group searched for.

Tabletop

Basically, scanning communication and computer network channels for recent or current chatter.
Also, doing periodic scans of the surroundings with her combi-sensor and PESA optics for energy or personal signatures.

Name
Electronic Ops (Communications) skill 16
3d6 1,2,5
Electronic Ops (Sensors) skill 16
3d6 1,4,3

The main thing Jordan's sensors pick up is the presence of a large communications network running beneath the streets. It's shielded and encrypted, but there's enough traffic that she can still pick it up. Unfortunately it seems to be everywhere so she's unable to get any reliable directions out of it. Though there might be an access point around here somewhere.

Over the radio she occasionally gets faint transmissions from the north. They seem garbled. She isn't sure if there's interference or they're also encrypted. But it gives another confirmation of activity in that direction.

spacer.pngJohn "Jack" Reygar

ST 13 | DX 14 | IQ 15 | HT 13 | Will 15 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 13/13 | DR xx | Base Speed 6 | Base Move 6

Jack grunts.

"Interesting, Bounce. Let's head north and see if things get clearer as we go. See if you can extrapolate from the strength of signal what sort of range we're looking at. You'll need a decent delta, so we'll take the rest of the day on that heading to give you that."

The team keeps walking and they keep finding more and more of the graffiti marking the walls. Eventually they find a camp that is obviously recent. There are still food wrappers with scraps of food in them, and the campsite seems to be in fairly good repair. Andreas's reading of the markings are still incomplete, but he thinks they are indicating a potential meeting site to the north east while the north indicates a larger more permanent market, but one farther away.

Andreas Theriot

ST 10 | DX 14 | IQ 16 | HT 11 | Will 16 | Perception 16
FP 11/11 | HP 10/10 | DR xx | Base Speed 6.25 | Base Move 6

Andreas performs a careful scrutiny of the various markings around the campsite. When complete, he will think for a moment, then report to leadership.

"I believe these symbols indicate two areas of interest. There is a meeting place, I think, that way {he indicates North East}, not too far. In addition, I believe they indicate one of the 'markets' that we were looking for, to the north {he points}, but further away."

"I am not positive I am interpreting these symbols correctly, but this is my best guess."

"Do we want to potentially encounter a smaller group, or head directly for the market and just see what happens?"

He will look to Leadership for direction.

IMG_4424.jpeg.250b689555d46009267db2e1d771aaf2.jpeg.af494c9f226b0c58c6d228ccd8c161cf.jpegEmmanuel “Manny” Puno

ST 12 | DX 13 | IQ 16 | HT 13 | Will 16 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 12/12 | DR xx | Base Speed 6.5 | Base Move 6

Manny encourages Andreas to take point on the initial inquiries into the sign system, both because he wants to get the measure of their new teammate's skills and because he himself is much more interested in anthropological documentation and having the extra manpower lets him satisfy his academic curiosity without leaving the important practical work undone. As Andreas reports his findings, he smiles and claps him on the shoulder in a collegial way.

“Nice work, Andreas," he compliments. "For my part, I think we should first get our story straight - who we are and what we're doing here - and then make contact with the smaller group at the camp to learn the norms and communication styles of the locals. Once we've done that, we might even be able to accompany them to the market, and showing up at the market with known trusted people will lend us some extra credibility by association. That sound okay?" he asks everyone, but mostly Jack.

Jack strokes his mustache, and, if Manny had to guess, was doing it to hide a smile.

"I like your logic, Puno. I was thinking that the smaller group would be easier to handle if things went south, but your way sounds a lot friendlier."

"As for our 'story,' I'll leave that to you talky folk. Come up with something and I'll back your play."

• 2 weeks later...

x7vaiiN.jpgCpl. Jordan Pierce

ST 12 | DX 14 | IQ 15 | HT 13 | Will 15 | Perception 17
FP 13/13 | HP 12/12 | DR xx | Base Speed 7 | Base Move 7

Jordan looked up from the algorithm she and Tamzin were compiling to flash a smile at Manny. "Do I get to be a rich Amercian socialite again?"

She multi-tasked as the team pressed on, continuing to scan the garbled transmissions she was receiving. The algorithm should continue to adjust frequency and bandwidth as the group moved, and with some luck eventually those signals would be clear and comprehendible. At least for now, it gave them a vector.

After some discussion the team heads north east towards the potential meeting spot. They pass the by now familiar expanse of buildings for another two days before arriving at what seems like an obvious landmark. It's a park stretching for several miles and filled with a some nicely contoured hills and small groves of trees. Like the rest of the city it appears to be kept in good condition by the robots.

There are several pavilions and small sheds scattered around the park, and after exploring for a bit the scouts find one that appears occupied. A low build that might be the park offices, or might just be an event center. Now however it is a meeting point. They can see a sentry at one of the doors watching the surroundings, though they haven't spotted the scouts yet. Probably because they are on alert for large multistory robots instead of a few random humans.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack looks to Manny and Andreas.

"I think it'd be best if we don't all go on in. We'll keep Eukleides back for sure as cavalry. Who would you like with you? At least one of the engineers, I imagine?"