Forgehammer - Private Party Chat

Underleaf

The Warmth of Friendship

image.png.4f8fa2567eac949cbf67391be86b67d6.png

Little of this new world made sense. Their memories were false, their bodies were fabricated, and their souls were meaninglessly forged through the loss of unknown others. Previous beliefs were challenged or forbidden.

All they had was each other.

And that would have to be enough.

image.png.44317179ca9f812166be1538ab13d580.pngHachilah - Fire Genasi Barbarian 3

AC: 17 | HP: 35/35 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 | Rage: 3/3

Drift led the group out of the cold air and to his small room. Much like her own, his was barren with cracked floorboards and peeling wallpaper. It was chill initially, but with the entire party cramped into the space, heat was quickly generated. Hachilah was silent, as the others seemed to be as well, at first. The shock of their current lives had taken its toll.

The genasi woman furrowed her brow. There was much she wished to speak about, but there was one concern she needed to address first. "Is...is everyone alright?"  It was a dumb question. "I mean...no, I don't imagine anyone is alright, but..."  Hachilah couldn't find the right words.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Produce flame.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Reaction: Your reaction goes here.

Spells

Casting Ability: Wisdom
Spell Save DC: 11
Spell Attack Modifier: +3

Cantrip: Produce Flame

One Use per Long Rest
1st: Burning Hands
2nd: Flame Blade (C) -no access till 5th

Stat Block

Hachilah of the Wandering Sands
Fire Genasi Ancestral Guardian Barbarian (3)

Str 14   Dex 14   Con 16   Int 10   Wis 12   Cha 10
HP 35/35   HD 3d12/3d12   AC 17   Speed 30 ft

Passive Perception 13   Initiative +2
Languages Common, Primordial & Dwarvish
Background Tribe Member: Wandering Sands   Feature 
Wandering Sands Heritage

• 
 Handaxe +4 attack, 1d6+2 slashing damage
• Javelin +4 thrown attack, 1d6+2 piercingMoon-touched Greataxe +4 attack, 1d12+2 slashing damage

Proficiency +2   Saving Throws Strength, Constitution
Skills Athletics, Insight, Perception & Survival
Tools 
Cook's Utensils
Instruments ...
Weapons Simple weapons, martial weapons
Armor All armor, shields
Feats None

Features 
DarkvisionFire ResistanceReach to the BlazeRage (3)Unarmored DefenseReckless AttackDanger SenseAncestral Protectors 

Copper - Upbeat Urchin of Mirabar (Human Arcane Trickster)Copper_token.png.770e8e0efda5c70df30546e3356d6ad9.png

AC 13/16  | HP 24/24 | Init +3 Passive Perception 13 (Pooka 15 smell) | Spells 1/2 (1st) | Inspiration 1/1 | Darts 4/4 | CP 12 SP 5 GP 5

Copper posted Pooka on lookout duty in anticipation of the conversation. The mouse hid in the doorway, between the bottom of the closed door and the stone floor, his little eyes peering out into the hall looking for would-be eves droppers. More importantly, he sniffed, testing the air for the scent of anyone other than Copper and her friends.

Still concerned about will-o-wisp spies, she also insisted the meeting take place by candlelight--the little cell lit by only one candle which she placed at the center.

"I'm alright... mostly," Copper managed. She wasn't smiling, her face set in lines of determination and hope. "I don't think things are as bad as they might appear--or as bad as our informants have indicated. Mara said there are cracks here, cracks that can be used to break the hold they have on this world. I agree. This world runs on secrets, the government is poorly organized and compartmentalized to the degree that no one really knows what's going on, and the AAOs are given rigid roles, knowing only what they need to know. These are good conditions for rebel operatives. Cracks we can use to our advantage."

"I also don't believe all this nonsense about our memories being manufactured by the gnomes," she continued. "Maybe it's true for the AAOs that came before us, but I think we're different. Why? Two reasons." Copper counted off her reasons, raising a hand, index finger extended. "First, we're still gaining new memories of our past--disturbing memories that would cause more anxiety than comfort to a newly arrived AAO. And remember, according to our informants, the memories the gnomes gave us are supposed to keep us from despair and suicide."

"Second," a second finger rose on Copper's hand, "Pooka." She pointed to the crack between the door and the floor where a bit of mouse tail could barely be seen in the candlelight. "That mouse is my familiar, but he is not Pooka. Not the fey spirit that has accompanied me for the past decade. So, I ask you, why would the gnomes go out of their way to give me memories of, and an emotional attachment to, a fey spirit that could not be created in this supposedly brand new life of mine? The short answer is: they wouldn't."

Her words came now with uncharacteristic sobriety. "I believe my old Pooka is real. I believe my memories of him are real. And I believe that Fiddlestick and Racine don't know the truth about us. Which makes sense: someone closer to the top of this rebel organization likely brought us here and couldn't risk telling the local operatives the truth. It's all need-to-know, and they don't need to know."

Leave it to Copper to use her keen mind to put a positive spin on a seemingly random and disturbing collection of observations. In the dim candlelight, she looked to her companions for their reactions--determination, conviction, and hope shining in her eyes.

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

Andraste (Half-Elf Sorcerer)token.png.f9e76fe4bce18d36fbb70ba39f1a9f7e.png

Andraste sat in the corner. She had her hair gathered up and draped over her right shoulder, exposing one of her typically concealed pointed ears. While she talked, her hands were busy working on tying a braid. It was as much nervous energy as it was simple extreme volume of hair to get through.

"I'm not su--" she cut herself off. Words took a little bit to get themselves arranged in orderly rows in her head. She wanted to say something in response to what Copper had concluded, but Andraste wasn't all that certain what her own opinion on all that was. Not any more. "...Maybe," she finally got out somewhat anti-climatically.

"It's just a lot. I don't know how I feel about it all yet. I suppose that's the problem with me: I'm all feelings right now. Clearly I haven't been taking things well--not until the you-know-what at the you-know-where, thank the non-existent cosmic spiritual authorities."

She made facial expression that expressed her annoyance at the need for the double-speak. Clearly she was referencing the events at the Temple of Tymora, thank the gods.

"I should say, I'm sorry I've been pricklier than a sack of sewing needles. I hope I didn't rub anyone too raw."

Edited by Aavarius (see edit history)

Copper - Upbeat Urchin of Mirabar (Human Arcane Trickster)Copper_token.png.770e8e0efda5c70df30546e3356d6ad9.png

AC 13/16  | HP 24/24 | Init +3 Passive Perception 13 (Pooka 15 smell) | Spells 1/2 (1st) | Inspiration 1/1 | Darts 4/4 | CP 12 SP 5 GP 5

As Andra spoke, Copper slowly moved to sit beside and a little behind the half-elf, joining in the business of braiding the long deep red tresses. Copper loved Andra's hair! She'd said so on more than one occasion. It was the shade of red she wished she'd have been born with--not unlike the red of her mother's hair. In her little gang's safe house, Copper had gained considerable experience braiding the hair of the younger girls. She took comfort in the simple act, and found that those on the receiving end did as well. Her nimble fingers moved gently, slowly, and methodically through the half-elf's tresses, the soft tugs and locks massaging the woman's scalp.

"Nah, you were just the same old Andraste," Copper teased, "No need to apologize."

The rogue's nimble fingers continued their gentle comforting work.

Mara Jade (Changeling Monk)spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | Ki: 3/3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Mara listened to Copper's observations and conclusions, nodding her head. The girl was sharp, and used to keeping her eyes and ears open, and what she said made sense. It mirrored Mara's own thoughts, though she had not processed the details in such fashion.

"To defeat an enemy, take away his will to fight," she said, repeating an axiom from her past.

"I believe that what we have heard is lies, lies designed to quell our spirits and keep us docile. Look around, these gnomes have not the power to make life - if they did, they would make us without the spirit to fight back, and that I surely have."

Her dark eyes held fire as she made a fist, knuckles whitening, before she relaxed once more and tucked her hands back into the wide sleeves of her tunic. Of the others, she could see that Copper would adapt easily enough. Likely Drift, too, for he was used to playing games. The others, those who were more straightforward, would no doubt have a harder time of it.

"I know what I know, and I tell you each one that whatever happens, you can count on me."

Mechanics

Action: Your action goes here.

An air of bemusement overtook her, and Andraste said, "Ah, hm. An accidental reveal. You're saying that 'same old Andraste' is an emotional basket case. I see how it is, Copper." The cut of accusation was there, but it was all put on to mask a tease.

On other issues, specifically the existential topic they were discussing, she said, "I hope you're both right. Truly, I do. I'm just shaken by it is all. The lot of it is quite disturbing."

Edited by Aavarius (see edit history)

At the conclusion of Mara's words, Copper nodded to the woman, flashing her a small approving smile. Earlier in the day, Drift and Hachi had openly expressed their love for the rest of the group. And now Mara--of all people--was offering the Mara equivalent. Copper might have added her own expression of feelings for her companions, but Andraste spoke up, teasing the girl and making her snort. She gave no reply but pulled a little more tightly on the next weave of braiding.

Andra's next words were more sobering.

"Speaking of disturbing, what's up with our memories of graduation night? I don't quite know what to make of it. Any of you have any ideas?"

image.png.44317179ca9f812166be1538ab13d580.pngHachilah - Fire Genasi Barbarian 3

AC: 17 | HP: 35/35 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 | Rage: 3/3

The others spoke, confirming her own thoughts. Hachilah nodded along, agreeing silently. She smiled at Mara's statement. "And me, as well."  The woman's mahogany-toned hand patted the nimble female on the shoulder. They were one, a tribe, a family. Where one of them went, they all followed.

As Copper brought to attention the memories that began to return, Hachi nodded again, though this time she did not remain silent. "A theory, yes. But it is based on folklore of my people, which is myths and poems passed from generation to generation across the great sands of Calim. It may be nothing, but it is what has been on my mind since they first started.

The stars shine brightly and tell the tale, Of Savas and his era-sail. The servant of dust saw rain in his dream, A flood that no sun could redeem. He begged for guidance and support, Then found a way to transport. He whispered to the wind, Warned of a future that would not rescind. The breeze took his sail to pass, With knowledge of the drowning forecast. No way to stop what would come, The wind of the past brought innocent wisdom. The ancient air found forgotten dust, Reminded it how life is a must. Together they fought back the sea, Returning the world to how it should be.

Maybe it's nothing...but I can't shake it."  Hachilah looked to her companions. "Is it possible that someone at that ritual knew what would happen and somehow sent us here to fix it?"  Typically the tribal woman would share tales like these while she cooked. Some may recall her telling it at some point in the past while seasoning a stew. Though never had she spoken of the tales as possible fact.

Mechanics

Action: Produce flame.

Reaction: Your reaction goes here.

Spells

Casting Ability: Wisdom
Spell Save DC: 11
Spell Attack Modifier: +3

Cantrip: Produce Flame

One Use per Long Rest
1st: Burning Hands
2nd: Flame Blade (C) -no access till 5th

Stat Block

Hachilah of the Wandering Sands
Fire Genasi Ancestral Guardian Barbarian (3)

Str 14   Dex 14   Con 16   Int 10   Wis 12   Cha 10
HP 35/35   HD 3d12/3d12   AC 17   Speed 30 ft

Passive Perception 13   Initiative +2
Languages Common, Primordial & Dwarvish
Background Tribe Member: Wandering Sands   Feature 
Wandering Sands Heritage

• 
 Handaxe +4 attack, 1d6+2 slashing damage
• Javelin +4 thrown attack, 1d6+2 piercingMoon-touched Greataxe +4 attack, 1d12+2 slashing damage

Proficiency +2   Saving Throws Strength, Constitution
Skills Athletics, Insight, Perception & Survival
Tools 
Cook's Utensils
Instruments ...
Weapons Simple weapons, martial weapons
Armor All armor, shields
Feats None

Features 
DarkvisionFire ResistanceReach to the BlazeRage (3)Unarmored DefenseReckless AttackDanger SenseAncestral Protectors 

"Sent us to fix it," Andraste answered Hachilah, "or used us to start it--I don't know. Both? If these memories are all false, then there's no knowing for us."

She frowned at the thought, looked down at her hands and rubbed her thumb into her palm as she pondered how she'd say the next part.

"Sitting here now...I'm starting to wonder if maybe Copper has some part of this right. That is to say, we're somehow special. Different. Set apart. I mean more than just what Racine described of us. I wonder if somehow we're more intimately connected to this whole state of affairs than meets the eye."

She pulled her jambiya from its elaborate, curved scabbard. The pale moonlight glow of the blade filled the space, washing out all the color in her already fair complexion. "Why go through all the trouble to ensure we have weapons with matching magical enchantments? That seems like a considerable expense in such expensive times when all you really needed were just able-bodied adventurers with plain, sharp equipment.

"I don't know if we're doing wishful thinking or have accidentally stumbled onto the secret of what happened. It's maddening having to feel around in the dark without answers."

spacer.pngDrift (Tabaxi Druid)

AC: 15 | HP: 24/24 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | Features

Drift listens as the others discuss our predicament. It's all very familiar, reminding him of sessions where we discussed strategies for upcoming tests at school, trying to determine what the instructors were actually trying to pull from us or teach us.

"We are definitely not normal AAOs. I agree with Copper that we are likely ourselves from 50 years ago, somehow suspended until today. But even if our memories are false, even if they are given to us to mislead us, they have given us the ability to choose. And I choose to protect and help all of you, and try to fix this world. And I know that you all choose the same."

Mechanics

Action: Your action goes here.

Wildshape forms

Brown Bear

Brown Bear
Large Beast, Unaligned

Armor Class 11 (natural armor)
Hit Points 34 (4d10 + 12)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR19 (+4)
DEX10 (+0)
CON16 (+3)
INT2 (-4)
WIS13 (+1)
CHA7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Senses Passive Perception 13
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Smell. The bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions
Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf
Large Beast, Unaligned

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 37 (5d10 + 10)
Speed 50 ft.

STR17 (+3)
DEX15 (+2)
CON15 (+2)
INT3 (-4)
WIS12 (+1)
CHA7 (-2)

Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Keen Hearing and Smell. The wolf has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Pack Tactics. The wolf has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Giant Spider

Giant Spider
Large Beast, Unaligned

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 26 (4d10 + 4)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR14 (+2)
DEX16 (+3)
CON12 (+1)
INT2 (-4)
WIS11 (+0)
CHA4 (-3)

Skills Stealth +7
Senses Blindsight 10 ft., Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 10
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Spider Climb. The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.

Web Sense. While in contact with a web, the spider knows the exact location of any other creature in contact with the same web.

Web Walker. The spider ignores movement restrictions caused by webbing.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 9 (2d8) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable but poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is paralyzed while poisoned in this way.

Web (Recharge 5–6). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 30/60 ft., one creature. Hit: The target is restrained by webbing. As an action, the restrained target can make a DC 12 Strength check, bursting the webbing on a success. The webbing can also be attacked and destroyed (AC 10; hp 5; vulnerability to fire damage; immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage).

Deinonchyos

Deinonychus
Medium Beast (Dinosaur), Unaligned

Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 26 (4d8 + 8 )
Speed 40 ft.

STR15 (+2)
DEX15 (+2)
CON14 (+2)
INT4 (-3)
WIS12 (+1)
CHA6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Languages --
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Pounce. If the deinonychus moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a Claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the deinonychus can make one Bite attack against it as a bonus action.

Actions
Multiattack. The deinonychus makes one Bite attack and two Claw attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage.

Notes

Forgehammer – Our home in Mirabar

Temple of Truth

The Goblet and Gems

Hall of Sparkling StonesHall of Sparkling Stones was once the seat of the Mirabarran government. Now, it served as the barracks for the goblin clan Kreeth who had been given rule over the city. The Hall was once an architectural marvel of the world, with stained glass windows, black marble tables, and inlaid traceries of gold, silver, and platinum. Now, it was the world’s prettiest dung heap.

Copper dared to stop the group briefly to have a drink from their waterskins and chat for a moment like everything were normal. Taking note of the fact that the structure had no ground floor windows but did have them on the 2nd floor and upwards, the group also noted a side entrance to the cellar that had a portcullis that blocked entry and a rather large ogre that kept watch in front of it.

Copper listened to her companions, considering carefully their comments, occasionally adding a "huh" or "good point" of her own.

After a minor pause in the conversation, she spoke. "So the memories are either real or fabricated. If they're fabricated, they may contain some clue from our mysterious patron--that's my hypothesized resistance leader farther up the food chain from Racine. So we should pay attention to the details as possible clues. And compare notes: see if any of our graduation night memories differ."

The urchin gathered her thoughts before continuing. "If the memories are real, then.... Well... One of my fears is that..."

Her smile faltered. "Our mysterious patron might not be one of the good guys."

More sober than sunny, she pressed on. "He might just be another baddy within the Whispered One's forces hoping to oust the boss and carve out his own little kingdom. After all, our newly recovered memories suggest that life-only-through-death advocates executed a dark ritual to bring us here. If this is the case, we can't trust our mysterious patron or his resistance--at least not beyond the point at which we cease to be valuable assets."

The girl pushed a stray copper lock out of her eyes. She cast her gaze around the roomful of friends, her words tainted with trepidation. "Or am I missing something. I mean... if the memories are real, if we were tricked into killing the Iconics on grad night, and their deaths powered our transport to this place, and the Resistance was the organization that brought us here, then...."

She left the rest unspoken.

It was perhaps one of Copper's hidden strengths: the ability to think strategically when it came to political intrigue. Years of tutelage under the Count of Dancing Autumn Leaves, the archfey who operated in the spaces between the Two Twilight Courts, had trained her to see wheels within wheels, to consider hidden machinations, to assume complex relationships between the forces that hold sway.

No wonder the girl was paranoid.

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)