Chapter 2: Exhumation

Whitleyrr

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 4/4 | Inspiration 0/1 

Concentrating: Invisibility

The entire battle passed in an instant, two dead by Jozelle's blade before anyone blinked, the third fled. His eyes followed unbidden to the portal, and he unconsciously stepped back at the smell. He felt the magic of the shadows still clinging to him, comforting. He watched the ever-so-still assassin carefully, as the priestess started to look through the room. "Expertly efficient, Jozelle," his voice emanated from near the desk, "not that I ever doubted your abilities. I don't suppose you work on retainer?" Anything to distract from the fact Hell itself lay a scant few feet away.

Speaking to the rest of them he added "I saw no more of them when I ventured down, though I am loathe to suggest the danger is past given the circumstances." Over by the desk, several books lifted themselves off the shelf, the pages leafing open as Alban scanned through forbidden texts. "The scroll here spoke of tearing open reality, though I have yet to come across guidance on stitching it back together," he offered Red, distinctly later in her search than he might have given her obvious muttered intentions.

OOC

-

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege

Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 2/3

Sorcery Points 4/4

ShadowTouched L1 0/1 ; L2 0/1

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

AC: 16 | HP: 59/59 | Rages: 1/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

Dalin was examining her axe. She didn't have any reason to, but it was something to do, to distract from the room and the horrible slash in reality that hung on opposite side of the room.

It was a good axe, finer than anything she'd ever had. She shifted from one foot to the other. Finally, she spoke, "Don't suppose there's much I can do to help, so... guess I'll watch the door." Of course she meant the real door and not the portal.

Her weight shifted as she spun in that direction.

Edited by ariel
I can't keep my colour straight. (see edit history)

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

Jozelle finally blinks a few extra times at Alban's compliment and question. "No. Not on retainer." She pauses and thinks for an extra second. "Though I suppose this new line of work as an adventurer is different. Yes, perhaps I may be put on retainer?" She's uncertain, but playing with the thought. She almost seems amused while also acting like her true self. She doesn't seem to mind or dwell on the dead imps around her save perhaps she's a bit relied.

Fiends die like men, just the same.

"What should I look for?" She begins to move around, searching for anything that may be help in closing the portal, still trying not to stare directly at it.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rapier
Off Hand: Torch

Action: Investigate
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 4/4d8

Name
Investigation
1d20+1 19

When Ren muttered the prayer to detect magic only two things stood out to her, outline in a faint, silvery azure glow: the first was the portal itself, which perhaps stood to reason, but then again perhaps not; and the second was the axe in Dalin’s hands which she was currently inspecting.

Jozelle’s search about the room revealed that the crates against the wall, the ones bearing the strange image of the interlocking circles, were possibly older than anyone had guessed. They were quite dusty, which she found strange, and the iron that made them showed more than its fair share of rust and decay. Whatever they were, they were not just placed there by the three imps.

The books and scrolls, likewise, showed signs of age. Some would fall apart is she but touched them. It was strange but she began to get the impression she was looking at things that had been here for a long while. Discarded and forgotten. Perhaps. Because the candle was new, or had been very recently. Alban approached the desk and began perusing its contents as well. There was the scroll he’d seen earlier, the one that described the portal and bore the image of the amulet. It, at least, appeared to be relatively current with the times. While it was curled, and in one place ripped, it was not old. The other books and papers looked decrepit and fragile, ruined by a cycle of damp and dry and who knew what weird airs flowed through this chamber.

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 4/4 | Inspiration 0/1 

Alban's eyes devoured the contents of the scroll, skimming across arcane symbology alongside an invisible finger. "Certainly there is no doubt of the ritual used to open this tear," he murmurs, as if not wanting to draw the portals attention. "Either the mage lied for his intentions, or omitted the artefact's many uses. This scroll speaks only of Hassatan's realm, not the dead, nor any other location." He traced over the rest of the tomes once finished, inhaling the scent of rotten paper, finger knocking loose fragments of dissolving parchment where it passed. The rest of the goods were a lost cause, no secret trove as he had hoped. "Any sign of the amulet itself?" he asked the group, any pretence dropped in the face of Dalin's earlier honesty. "The scroll does not speak to consumption of reagents or frequency of use. It may be this was simply an opportune lair hidden from prying eyes, a place to trial what is to come. Soon perhaps these rents shall be scattered throughout the county, or empire... " He feared that for all the ill suffered by Hethton so far, it would be but a drop against the ocean these portals could release. A shiver passed his flesh involuntarily, and he pulled the comforting shadows closer. Abruptly he said "I would pay good gold for continued service were that the case, Jozelle."

OOC

-

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Speed 30

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

• Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

spacer.png

"The amulet eludes us still." Jozelle pulls out her lyre, the first time in a couple days and begins to play a slow, melancholy tune. A tradition after a kill? A way to ease the tension? Something else?

"This is an old place, these crates have been here for some time, perhaps for long enough the people have forgotten. Or perhaps they know." There is an implication there. What do they even know of Hethton... its people... its nature? "We must walk lightly upon this place."

She's not speaking of the cavern, she means all of the community.

"Mm. There is another matter to discuss. Ren." She turns to the priestess. "You have seen a side of me I have kept from this town. I have been told I can be... unnerving." She strikes another dark note. It's then her eyes crinkle and she smiles bright, in an endearing way. "Please, do accept me as an ambitious, soon-to-be-swashbuckling adventurer, who just wants to meet people and explore the lands!" She spins in place, putting on a show. It's... like a whole different person.

And then her smile fades, the light in her eyes dimmer. "Please." She looks to her and Alban. "Can we close it?"

Mechanics

Action: -

The assassin's sudden change into eager young adventurer is, if anything, more unnerving for verisimilitude. So easily could Alban imagine himself being taken in by one of her many faces. Still, the show was not directed at him, though he did not miss the hint of desperation in her voice. He wondered how lonely it must be, being forever surrounded by popular masks. His own thieves of praise had the benefit at least of being real people, with redress achievable. He addressed her question. "Not with the knowledge written here. Whomever so designed the ritual intended it to be a finality."

He thought longer on her questioning the towns folk. After all, if the honesty of their patron was in doubt, why not everyone on the journey here? "The mayor, at least, seemed a weak fellow. I doubt he would have held this secret against the mix of Cordelia's honey and mine blade," he observed. "You walked amongst them Jozelle, and perhaps could better take their temperature, or you Dalin? You spoke with some brewer or another yes?"

OOC

-

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Speed 30

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

Bonus Actions

Reactions

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

The dwarf, standing "guard" next to the open door, tore her eyes away from the tunnel to look back at Alban and Jozelle. "So, what you're all saying is... is that the amulet was used to open that portal?" Dalin gestured at that gaping rift without looking at it.

"But, this place, this room and the stuff in it... have been here for a very long time? And there's nothing in them books and papers to tell us how to close it?" She reached a hand out, to touch the stone wallUsing stonecunning to try to glean something about the history of the room. of this room. "If we can't close the rift, then maybe we should collapse the room... make it hard to come through."

Dalin then took a moment to consider Alban's question. A tumble of nervous words followed. "Sure, I talked to Big Toe, talked to a lot of people... but none of them showed a single hair out of place from being exactly what they seemed to be. All except that Vadim, of course...

How does he fit into it all anyway? Does it look like other people have been sifting through them papers? Aint it too much of a coincidence that the amulet was flushed out cause he killed the Captain? Then taken from his dead body on the day he escaped from jail? If he opened it... where is now? Did he go through?"

Grumbling to herself, head down, eyes glued to the floor, Dalin approached the awful portal to look for trails in the thick dust to tell her what may have traversed in and out of it.

Name
History of room (stonecunning)
1d20+4 10
Survival (tracks in and out of portal)
1d20+4 4

spacer.pngKerenza "Ren" Marston

4th level Imperial Human Noble Grave Domain Cleric

AC: 17 (19 w shield) | HP: 20/41 (4d8) | PP: 14 | PInv: 11 | PIns: 16

Wearing Goggles of Night for Darkvision to 60 feet.

"My words" | 'My thoughts' | My actions

After casting her spell, Ren announced, "Well, there's nothing magical in here beyond the portal and the axe that Dalin is carrying." She then frowned, the center of her forehead creasing as she thought out loud. "So this place seems to be some kind of very old workshop or storage room, and the crates with the circles that mean Hassatan and an army are among the old items, but the scroll with the portal and the amulet are recent...Are you guys up for opening one of the crates? Although I confess, anything in a crate with symbols that refer to Hassatan and an army seems a bit ominous. Perhaps I should inspect it for some kind of a booby trap." Ren quickly spoke the words for her Guidance cantrip and set about closely examining the nearest crate, looking for evidence of not only traps but also how to open it.

She found Jozelle's sudden show to be a little surprising, but not alarming. The assassin put her in mind of a kaleidoscope, constantly changing to show something new. It was her tone, however, that caught Ren's attention, and she studied the woman for several long moments. Was that loneliness, a desire for belonging? Jozelle was a little different from ordinary people; perhaps that was necessary in the practice of her craft. She knew firsthand how unkind others could be to someone different. Ren also found Jozelle's friendly tone warming after Lord Alban's coldness, which due to her service to Mosheach she figured was unlikely to change. Reaching a decision, she offered Jozelle a smile and said, "I'll tell you what. If you promise to tell me what I need to do to avoid being on the receiving end of that unnerving ability of yours, you've got yourself a deal. I find myself curious to hear what ambitions a would-be adventurer like yourself harbors."

OoC

Perception roll to examine crates from dice-roll thread: 22
Cast Guidance for +3 (from dice-roll thread)

Total Perception check: 25

Mechanics

Imperial Human Cleric (Grave Domain) 4

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven

Background: Noble Background Feature Retainers

Str 8 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 14

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws: Wis, Cha

Speed 30

Tools/Instruments: Harp

Spell Attack Bonus +6 | Spell Save DC 14 | Spell Slots L1 2/4 ; L2 1/3

Actions

• Dagger +4 to hit for [1d4+2] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60

• Light Crossbow +4 to hit for [1d8+2] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320

• Channel Divinity: Path to the Grave You can use Channel Divinity as an action to curse one creature you can see within 30 ft. of you until the end of your next turn. The next time you or an ally of yours hits the cursed creature with an attack, the creature has vulnerability to all of that attack’s damage, and then the curse ends.

• Channel Divinity: Turn Undead As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

• Eyes of the Grave At 1st level, you gain the ability to occasionally sense the presence of the undead, whose existence is an insult to the natural cycle of life. As an action, you can open your awareness to magically detect undead. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any undead within 60 feet of you that isn’t behind total cover and that isn’t protected from divination magic. This sense doesn’t tell you anything about a creature’s capabilities or identity. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

• Guidance VS, one creature, touch | +1d4 to next abililty check

• Light Dex DC14 cast light |VM (firefly or phosphorescent moss), touch/20 ft | touched item sheds light for up to 1 hr

• Sacred Flame DC14 DEX Sv for [1d8] radiant damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | cover grants no advantage to the saving throw

• Toll the Dead DC14 WIS Sv for [1d8] necrotic damage if full HP, 1d12 if missing HP| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

• Detect Magic VS, self, up to 30 feet | sense the presence of magic within 30 feet

• Bane DC14 CHA Sv | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | -1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends

• Bless | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | +1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends (concentration)

• False Life add 1d4+4 THP for 1 hour| VSM, self |

• Guiding Bolt spell attack [4d6] radiant damage (5d6 at lvl2) | VS, one creature, 120ft | next attack by anyone before next turn has advantage

• Inflict Wounds spell attack 3d10 necrotic damage at lvl 1, 4d10 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Cure Wounds 1d8+4 healing at lvl 1, 2d8+4 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Ray of Enfeeblement DC14 CON Sv  spell attack, upon a hit targets do half damage when using weapons that use STR| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

Bonus Actions

• Spare the Dying | VS, one creature, 30ft | stabilize a dying creature (note that this is special usage of this spell granted by Circle of Mortality feature of the Grave Domain)

• Misty Step | V, self | teleport up to 30 ft away to an unoccupied space you can see.

• Hex 1d6 necrotic damage if you hit them with an attack | VSM, 1 creature, 30ft | any ability checks of your choice get disadvantage until the spell ends (concentration)

• Spiritual Weapon create a spectral weapon, make spell attack, if hit do 1d8+4 damage | VS, one minute, 60ft |

Reactions

• AoO

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

Dalin backed away from the portal as she approached it, head down, eyes focused on the floor. When far enough away to feel like it wasn't watching her, she looked up. She knew folks were addressing Jozelle, but she was too distracted by the room and the rift to think much beyond that maybe Jozelle needed some time to figure out who Jozelle was. Anyway, most of Dalin's energy was spent trying not to run away. So, she turned her thoughts back to the practical stuff.

"Can't tell nothing from tracks, dust all churned up to say nothing anymore." Her eyes swung from the floor, surveying the wall and up to the ceiling. "The walls though... seems to me that this room was made less than 100 years old, say... 75? More than 50 anyway. And it was done fast. No fuss."

The dwarf looked for a moment, like she was trying to find words but coming up with only a foul taste in her mouth. She lowered her voice as if afraid of being overheard and continued. "The bad thing is, the thing I like not at all... is that it seems to me like the room was carved from the portal out rather than from the stairs in.

So, yah... might be that the portal's been here for a while... since something, somethings, ah... dug their way out."

Edited by ariel (see edit history)

spacer.pngKerenza "Ren" Marston

4th level Imperial Human Noble Grave Domain Cleric

AC: 17 (19 w shield) | HP: 20/41 (4d8) | PP: 14 | PInv: 11 | PIns: 16

Wearing Goggles of Night for Darkvision to 60 feet.

"My words" | 'My thoughts' | My actions

Ren needed a bit of time to further mull over what Dalin's words meant, but one question did bubble up. "I wonder if Hethton had been established as of the time that this room was carved, and whether there might be some old records somewhere of strange happenings in the town." Then another question arose. "If this room was carved from the portal outward, then the portal was opened from the other side. I wonder if it has to be closed from the other side, too?" She pointedly ignored the sick feeling that rose in her stomach at the idea of acting on the second question. It would be so much easier to try to disrupt the portal's magic from this side if the time could be afforded until she was strong enough. Then there would be no need to enter into that hellish landscape of brimstone and fire.

Upon finishing her examination of the crate, she looked up and asked Dalin, "Would you help open this crate with your axe? It's not trapped."

Addressing the other two, she added, "It wouldn't hurt for the rest of us to expect the unexpected when Dalin opens the crate." Ren herself silently thought about what spell she'd cast should it prove needed.

OoC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Mechanics

Imperial Human Cleric (Grave Domain) 4

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven

Background: Noble Background Feature Retainers

Str 8 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 14

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws: Wis, Cha

Speed 30

Tools/Instruments: Harp

Spell Attack Bonus +6 | Spell Save DC 14 | Spell Slots L1 2/4 ; L2 1/3

Actions

• Dagger +4 to hit for [1d4+2] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60

• Light Crossbow +4 to hit for [1d8+2] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320

• Channel Divinity: Path to the Grave You can use Channel Divinity as an action to curse one creature you can see within 30 ft. of you until the end of your next turn. The next time you or an ally of yours hits the cursed creature with an attack, the creature has vulnerability to all of that attack’s damage, and then the curse ends.

• Channel Divinity: Turn Undead As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

• Eyes of the Grave At 1st level, you gain the ability to occasionally sense the presence of the undead, whose existence is an insult to the natural cycle of life. As an action, you can open your awareness to magically detect undead. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any undead within 60 feet of you that isn’t behind total cover and that isn’t protected from divination magic. This sense doesn’t tell you anything about a creature’s capabilities or identity. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

• Guidance VS, one creature, touch | +1d4 to next abililty check

• Light Dex DC14 cast light |VM (firefly or phosphorescent moss), touch/20 ft | touched item sheds light for up to 1 hr

• Sacred Flame DC14 DEX Sv for [1d8] radiant damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | cover grants no advantage to the saving throw

• Toll the Dead DC14 WIS Sv for [1d8] necrotic damage if full HP, 1d12 if missing HP| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

• Detect Magic VS, self, up to 30 feet | sense the presence of magic within 30 feet

• Bane DC14 CHA Sv | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | -1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends

• Bless | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | +1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends (concentration)

• False Life add 1d4+4 THP for 1 hour| VSM, self |

• Guiding Bolt spell attack [4d6] radiant damage (5d6 at lvl2) | VS, one creature, 120ft | next attack by anyone before next turn has advantage

• Inflict Wounds spell attack 3d10 necrotic damage at lvl 1, 4d10 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Cure Wounds 1d8+4 healing at lvl 1, 2d8+4 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Ray of Enfeeblement DC14 CON Sv  spell attack, upon a hit targets do half damage when using weapons that use STR| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

Bonus Actions

• Spare the Dying | VS, one creature, 30ft | stabilize a dying creature (note that this is special usage of this spell granted by Circle of Mortality feature of the Grave Domain)

• Misty Step | V, self | teleport up to 30 ft away to an unoccupied space you can see.

• Hex 1d6 necrotic damage if you hit them with an attack | VSM, 1 creature, 30ft | any ability checks of your choice get disadvantage until the spell ends (concentration)

• Spiritual Weapon create a spectral weapon, make spell attack, if hit do 1d8+4 damage | VS, one minute, 60ft |

Reactions

• AoO

Alban's brow furrowed in consternation at the dwarf's revelations. He paced, eyes fixed anywhere but the portal, as he tried to pull the disparate elements of this conspiracy together, the guttering candle flickering back and forth in his wake. His invisibility was liberating, allowing him to puzzle in peace without worrying about presentation - he often used it for this reason alone back home. That and seeing what others thought in his absence.

"Hm?" he pricked up at the priestess' words interrupting his thoughts. It took a moment for his brain to process them, to be sure she had indeed said what he thought. He barked a laugh. "If you wish to venture into Hell priestess then you go ahead, I'll not be crossing that threshold for all the gold in the kingdom! Redeemer you may be, Hassatan would be ambitious even for I. Go ahead with the crate though, I'll be ready. It can't confuse matters any more." He backed away to the iron door, ready to slam it if need be.

OOC

-

Stat Block

Languages Common, Elven

Speed 30

Sorcery Points 4/4

Actions

Bonus Actions

Reactions

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

Dalin ignored the notion of passing through the rift, that, in her mind, was not a serious thought. However, she did ponder the cleric's thoughts on the room and town. "I reckon the town is older than 100 years... but I'm not so used to human towns though, such short lives. Anyway, if the amulet was used to open the rift from the other side so long ago... the question for me is how the Captain came into it. The room's not the Captain's but maybe he found it here? Whose room was this? No names in them papers?

Doesn't make sense to be Vadim's... why make an entrance to town only a year ago if he'd been here for so much longer?"

She shrugged and turned her focus on the nearest crate. She approached it with some confidence. This, she could do. It was her job; it was her "thing". She was a caravaneer. Crates were her livelihood.

She knelt by a crate and reached a hand up towards a large pocket on one side of her pack. With practiced ease, she pulled out a leather roll and unfurled it onto the ground. A wide range of carpenter's tools were displayed. Sure, she would normally use them to repair a wagon, but wood was wood and she knew her way around a hammer. She ran a hand across the top edge of the crate looking for a seam. "If it's not magic and not trapped, then I think we see if we can open it the normal way..."

OOC

Dalin will open the most accessible crate, using her carpenter's tools. Not sure if it needs a roll or what that would be?

Edited by ariel
let's spell! (see edit history)

spacer.png

Jozelle only gives a slow nod to Ren's deal, but seems to be satisfactory to her. As Dalin moves to open the crate, Jozelle positions herself to be within thirty feet of the crate... and no closer. She also positions herself to have eyes both on the crate and the portal, not fully trusting that nothing else will emerge or not from it.

It feels as if they are running into a dead end, and though she doesn't say it aloud, her thoughts agree with the others that going inside the portal seems a poor choice at this point.

"I did not see any darkness beyond worries over the late Captain and his wife. Then again, I did not look for any such thing. I will now." Beforehand, Jozelle had walked among the people of Hethton to get a sense of it. In truth, it was more to get the mood, how did they view outsiders, any social faux pas to know of, and perhaps a sense of more mortal troubles like if the people suffered. She did not look for any cult, the thought had not crossed her mind.

Now it is a very present, very distinct, possibility.

Mechanics

Action: -

Dalin worked the crate open with a fair amount of ease after a moment. It was old, but it was sturdily made. Still though, it was the work of moments. Inside lay cruel looking swords made of the same black iron that bound the crates. They were jagged along the blade and slightly curved backward. In the crate Dalin opened was, maybe, twenty-five of these weapons. If the rest of the crate contained the same, then perhaps there were about one hundred, twenty-five swords here. A puzzling amount as surely it was a lot, but not exactly the provisioning of an army. And the fact that they were abandoned here, it was almost as if whatever this was going to be was aborted, and aborted long ago.

A sudden roar from behind them jarred them from their inspection of the weapons. It came from the portal; as they looked a black mountain had begun belching fire. Liquid flame and molten rock spewed forth into the air. Hissing steam billowed into the orange sky, if sky it was. Rivers of fire flowed down the face of the mountain. It was an impressively terrifying site, safe though they imagined they were on this side of the portal.

In the distance, they saw a small grouping of creatures on the march. They were far away but the companions could tell they were devils of some kind, perhaps twenty or thirty in all. Behind them marched a larger creature, heavily armed and armored, a nightmare of flesh and muscle and iron with a long braided beard that was set alight at the ends, burning with an unholy glow. The route they were taking could perhaps intersect with the portal, but the explosion of lava had cut them off from their intended path. Now, if indeed it was the portal they were aiming for, they would have to find another way around.

As the group turned, the companions saw that next to the larger devil flew a winged creature, small boned and finely framed with horns that swept back from its smooth faced. Despite the difference in form the face was one none of them (save Ren) would ever have forgotten. It was the face of Vadim King.