Chapter 2: Exhumation

Whitleyrr

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 4/4 | Inspiration 0/1 

Concentrating: Invisibility

Alban had just started to relax as the crate popped open with little effort from the caravaneer, a sigh escaping his lips as the tension left his body. No more surprises, just more questions. He was about to start speaking - laying out the various facts before them as if machinery parts requiring assembly - when the shock hit.

He flinched instinctively at the roar from the portal, ducking. He watched unwillingly, transfixed by the eruption. Surely no creature could live in such a land. Yet, even as the thought crossed his mind his eye was drawn down, picking upon a marching band clad in black armour, moving like ants across the landscape. Behind, a monstrosity worthy of Hassatan indeed. All paled in comparison to the rage that grew deep inside - icy hot -as he saw the grinning face of Vadim King. A form worthy of the shadows he had seen that first night. "Vadim..." he whispered, "truly a devil at heart."

"We seem to have gained some time at least - the lands as harsh to Hassatan's own servants as any, though I do not know if the delay will prove sufficient," he continued, "we should muster whatever militia the town can form, and be ready for them down here. Use these weapons for our own device."

He stood again, opening the door further deliberately to mark his passage, and waited just beyond. He would remain shrouded till they left these evil tunnels. There, in the antechamber, he continued, "We have an old room, full of rotting goods save the one scroll detailing a ritual of opening, yet the room has been dug from the portal outwards you say Dalin. Would you estimate the age of goods to be the same as the room itself? Perhaps this was a prior staging point, defeated in the past with Vadim stranded this side, and he has sought to re-open the portal and remount the offensive? What - if any - is the value of Hethton in this? Simple chance or darker design? Cordelia, before she left, spoke of a gathering nexus about the town. Hopefully at least the guardsmen are roused. We should gather the remnants of the Captain's men, if they will believe us. Perhaps a weapon as proof?"

OOC

-

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege

Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 2/3

Sorcery Points 4/4

ShadowTouched L1 0/1 ; L2 0/1

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

AC: 16 | HP: 59/59 | Rages: 1/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

Opening the crate was such a normal activity, Dalin was loathe to pull away from it to see what was happening in the portal. However, when her hesitant eyes met the rift, she found she couldn't tear them away. How could she? The scene unfolding before them was unreal. An illusion? Alban would have said something if he thought so. Wouldn't he?

Catching Vadim's face was like a punch in the gut and it sent her into action. She could hear Alban speaking and at some level she understood what he was saying. She plucked up one of the swords from the crate and placed it through the bedroll on her pack. Bonnie was disturbed and scurried up Dalin's arm to a pocket. The dwarf hastily gathered her carpentry tools and started backing away towards the antechamber where Alban was waiting.

With a stuttering start, she spoke. "S-seems like the crate and the room are about the same age, so your story hangs... just the part about Vadim has me itching. If he was here for so long, stranded, why wait so long to tease the amulet out of hiding?

Also, been thinking back to the age of Hethton, seems to me like it's more like 500 years than 100. When Jozelle and I first visited the grave, I was looking at the tombstones... seen a couple from that time.

As for next steps, I still think we should be ready to bring these tunnels down... gain us some time if nothing else."

OOC

Does dynamite exist in this world?

spacer.pngKerenza "Ren" Marston

4th level Imperial Human Noble Grave Domain Cleric

AC: 17 (19 w shield) | HP: 20/41 (4d8) | PP: 14 | PInv: 11 | PIns: 16

Wearing Goggles of Night for Darkvision to 60 feet.

"My words" | 'My thoughts' | My actions

After realizing that there was nothing of immediate danger to them in the crate, Ren stared transfixed through the portal at the volcano and the marching devils for a few seconds. 'Oh no! No!' When Lord Alban whispered about Vadim King, it served to bring her back to the present and galvanize her mind into action. "Wait. Are you telling me one of those devils is Vadim King? Which one?" She thought back a moment to what had been shared about him, and all she could remember was that he practiced mind-control. "What seemed to be the aim of his mind-control? Tell me everything you can recall, and I'll see if I ever learned about that kind of creature in my studies of the unholy. I now have enough information to get word to my temple. I have three retainers and a carriage, which I sent into Hethton when I entered these caves. I can send one or more of them back to the temple of Mosheach in Glammer City with a message requesting aid if we've the time."

For good measure, she grabbed one of the swords from the crate Dalin had opened. She could send that back with her message as proof.

"My magic is not particularly well suited for collapsing a tunnel. Do any of the rest of you have ideas on how we might accomplish that?"

OoC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Mechanics

Imperial Human Cleric (Grave Domain) 4

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven

Background: Noble Background Feature Retainers

Str 8 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 14

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws: Wis, Cha

Speed 30

Tools/Instruments: Harp

Spell Attack Bonus +6 | Spell Save DC 14 | Spell Slots L1 2/4 ; L2 1/3

Actions

• Dagger +4 to hit for [1d4+2] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60

• Light Crossbow +4 to hit for [1d8+2] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320

• Channel Divinity: Path to the Grave You can use Channel Divinity as an action to curse one creature you can see within 30 ft. of you until the end of your next turn. The next time you or an ally of yours hits the cursed creature with an attack, the creature has vulnerability to all of that attack’s damage, and then the curse ends.

• Channel Divinity: Turn Undead As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

• Eyes of the Grave At 1st level, you gain the ability to occasionally sense the presence of the undead, whose existence is an insult to the natural cycle of life. As an action, you can open your awareness to magically detect undead. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any undead within 60 feet of you that isn’t behind total cover and that isn’t protected from divination magic. This sense doesn’t tell you anything about a creature’s capabilities or identity. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

• Guidance VS, one creature, touch | +1d4 to next abililty check

• Light Dex DC14 cast light |VM (firefly or phosphorescent moss), touch/20 ft | touched item sheds light for up to 1 hr

• Sacred Flame DC14 DEX Sv for [1d8] radiant damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | cover grants no advantage to the saving throw

• Toll the Dead DC14 WIS Sv for [1d8] necrotic damage if full HP, 1d12 if missing HP| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

• Detect Magic VS, self, up to 30 feet | sense the presence of magic within 30 feet

• Bane DC14 CHA Sv | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | -1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends

• Bless | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | +1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends (concentration)

• False Life add 1d4+4 THP for 1 hour| VSM, self |

• Guiding Bolt spell attack [4d6] radiant damage (5d6 at lvl2) | VS, one creature, 120ft | next attack by anyone before next turn has advantage

• Inflict Wounds spell attack 3d10 necrotic damage at lvl 1, 4d10 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Cure Wounds 1d8+4 healing at lvl 1, 2d8+4 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Ray of Enfeeblement DC14 CON Sv  spell attack, upon a hit targets do half damage when using weapons that use STR| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

Bonus Actions

• Spare the Dying | VS, one creature, 30ft | stabilize a dying creature (note that this is special usage of this spell granted by Circle of Mortality feature of the Grave Domain)

• Misty Step | V, self | teleport up to 30 ft away to an unoccupied space you can see.

• Hex 1d6 necrotic damage if you hit them with an attack | VSM, 1 creature, 30ft | any ability checks of your choice get disadvantage until the spell ends (concentration)

• Spiritual Weapon create a spectral weapon, make spell attack, if hit do 1d8+4 damage | VS, one minute, 60ft |

Reactions

• AoO

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13

It is Vadmin to whom Jozelle cannot take her eyes off of. More than the dozens of fiends, more than a fiery mountain the likes which she has only heard about in stories, more than whatever terrifying beast leads them. She moves and almost places a hand on Vadim's shoulder but rethinks it. Instead she settles to place it on Dalin's. "I am sorry. I thought your anger, your pain towards Vadim fleeting, a distraction... empty. I was wrong."

She looks around the room. She can kill at a moment's notice a single target, perhaps two... she is no soldier. She is no saboteur. The situation is beyond her, and though she maintains her composure, more small cracks of doubt, of fear, of uncertainty are felt even if only subconsciously. She teeters ever closer to on edge within her own mind.

"Yes, Cordellia. Guards. A town with supplies, perhaps mining equipment. This is a river we cannot stop alone." Her eyes look to Dalin. "The amulet is of little value if we are cut down trying to claim it." It is only now that she's willing to relent putting the amulet's retrieval first. To fight these devils is beyond foolish.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rapier
Off Hand: Torch

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

HD: 4/4d8

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 4/4 | Inspiration 0/1 

Concentrating: Invisibility

"Fool!" Alban silently cursed himself, "why didn't you think of collapsing these tunnels?"

"Dalin is right about the tunnels at least, collapsing them is an excellent idea. As are you all. What hope does little Hethton have against all the legions of Hell? What hope even the whole Kingdom? We will need all the aid we can gather. Priestess, you should dispatch those you have post-haste. If it is worth anything, I will add my own seal to the missive as well." Alban spoke rapidly, pacing again with nervous energy. "I will lean on the Mayor to gather the guard, and all able-bodied men in the town along with whatever mining equipment they have. Whilst he is doing that, we can visit the Lady Ittia's manor and secure what aid we can from the only tested fighting force; though I imagine they will not leave the Lady entirely undefended even a handful will be worth their weight in gold."

He darted back past them into the room, a breeze in his wake. The ritual scroll atop the desk rose into the air, rolled itself up, and disappeared from sight as he tucked it inside his robes. Next the candle tipped forward, wax spilling out over the desk as Alban tried to encourage it to light.

"Let us not tarry, I shall tell you what we know of that creature as we walk."

As they climbed the stairs, Alban spoke, slower now, recalling the events that lead them here. "Not all were taken in by Vadim's charms - when we first met the innkeepers wife warned us against him with great dislike. The majority however he seemed to enthralled with his presence alone. It was not mind control, no it was far more insidious than that. A sort of intoxicating, lustful feeling that wormed inside the heart. Lady Ittiah was the main target, though we are led to believe - and indeed witnessed - Vadim made no exception for any woman nor man in town. Yet he appeared nothing but human till this moment," he paused as the next memory came, tainted with his own fallibility, "the very first night I witnessed him in the throes of carnal pleasure I sensed something darker beneath, but that was it. No other hints of his true nature. His aim was always this amulet. We pieced it together too late to stop, and he escaped our snare." The stairs seemed longer this time, for the telling of the story, each step, each word an extra weight upon his body.

OOC

-

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege

Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 2/3

Sorcery Points 4/4

ShadowTouched L1 0/1 ; L2 0/1

Actions

• Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

• Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

spacer.pngKerenza "Ren" Marston

4th level Imperial Human Noble Grave Domain Cleric

AC: 17 (19 w shield) | HP: 20/41 (4d8) | PP: 14 | PInv: 11 | PIns: 16

Wearing Goggles of Night for Darkvision to 60 feet.

"My words" | 'My thoughts' | My actions

Nodding in response to the information provided by Lord Alban, Ren muttered the incantation, "Fac me esse efficax," then tried to remember whether her studies of the unholy would allow her to determine the kind of devil this Vadim King was from the information provided. 'Winged, devil, able to appear as a humanoid, seems to be able to charm others and inflame lustful feelings...hrmmm.'

"And yes, I should appreciate your seal. One person's story can sometimes be written off as fanciful or fear-mongering, but if someone of standing confirms it, it is harder to deny." She didn't like the need to rely on the nobleman like this, but this was not a time for small-mindedness. This was a time to set differences aside and work together for the protection of all they loved.

OoC

From the dice-rolling thread: Religion roll of 8 + Guidance roll of 4 for 12 total to identify what kind of devil Vadim King is.

Mechanics

Imperial Human Cleric (Grave Domain) 4

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven

Background: Noble Background Feature Retainers

Str 8 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 14

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws: Wis, Cha

Speed 30

Tools/Instruments: Harp

Spell Attack Bonus +6 | Spell Save DC 14 | Spell Slots L1 2/4 ; L2 1/3

Actions

• Dagger +4 to hit for [1d4+2] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60

• Light Crossbow +4 to hit for [1d8+2] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320

• Channel Divinity: Path to the Grave You can use Channel Divinity as an action to curse one creature you can see within 30 ft. of you until the end of your next turn. The next time you or an ally of yours hits the cursed creature with an attack, the creature has vulnerability to all of that attack’s damage, and then the curse ends.

• Channel Divinity: Turn Undead As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

• Eyes of the Grave At 1st level, you gain the ability to occasionally sense the presence of the undead, whose existence is an insult to the natural cycle of life. As an action, you can open your awareness to magically detect undead. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any undead within 60 feet of you that isn’t behind total cover and that isn’t protected from divination magic. This sense doesn’t tell you anything about a creature’s capabilities or identity. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

• Guidance VS, one creature, touch | +1d4 to next abililty check

• Light Dex DC14 cast light |VM (firefly or phosphorescent moss), touch/20 ft | touched item sheds light for up to 1 hr

• Sacred Flame DC14 DEX Sv for [1d8] radiant damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | cover grants no advantage to the saving throw

• Toll the Dead DC14 WIS Sv for [1d8] necrotic damage if full HP, 1d12 if missing HP| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

• Detect Magic VS, self, up to 30 feet | sense the presence of magic within 30 feet

• Bane DC14 CHA Sv | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | -1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends

• Bless | VSM, up to 3 creatures, 30ft | +1d4 to next attack roll or saving throw before spell ends (concentration)

• False Life add 1d4+4 THP for 1 hour| VSM, self |

• Guiding Bolt spell attack [4d6] radiant damage (5d6 at lvl2) | VS, one creature, 120ft | next attack by anyone before next turn has advantage

• Inflict Wounds spell attack 3d10 necrotic damage at lvl 1, 4d10 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Cure Wounds 1d8+4 healing at lvl 1, 2d8+4 at lvl 2 |VS, one creature, touch

• Ray of Enfeeblement DC14 CON Sv  spell attack, upon a hit targets do half damage when using weapons that use STR| VS, one creature, 60ft | 

Bonus Actions

• Spare the Dying | VS, one creature, 30ft | stabilize a dying creature (note that this is special usage of this spell granted by Circle of Mortality feature of the Grave Domain)

• Misty Step | V, self | teleport up to 30 ft away to an unoccupied space you can see.

• Hex 1d6 necrotic damage if you hit them with an attack | VSM, 1 creature, 30ft | any ability checks of your choice get disadvantage until the spell ends (concentration)

• Spiritual Weapon create a spectral weapon, make spell attack, if hit do 1d8+4 damage | VS, one minute, 60ft |

Reactions

• AoO

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

Dalien

Dalin Ghillison

AC: 16 | HP: 59/59 | Rages: 1/3  | Passive Perception: 12 

As Jozelle spoke to her and touched her shoulder, Dalin didn't verbally respond but she looked up at the woman and met her eyes cleanly. Jozelle could see the dwarf's fear, anger and full emotion at the thought of Vadim. The memory of him was like an uncomfortable itch that she wanted to scratch despite knowing it would just cause her to bleed. She nodded, silent and grateful for some understanding.

When they left the room, Dalin followed, coming up last given her short legs and how she kept glancing backwards as if the creatures in the portal might have passed through it already. She was glad Alban took the question of describing Vadim.

Eventually, she spoke again. "If we have the time... I reckon we might have a source of help closer than any missive to Glammer might bring." She hesitated, knowing the option was like catching a hummingbird blindfolded.

"I mean Kruthian, that mage. He was powerful, right? Just think what he put us through to speak to him...

Trouble with him is that I don't think we can find him unless he wants to be found. Were some unnatural steps in the road to his house... like it wasn't even on the map. I think I could get us there if his house is still in the same place... and he lets us see it."

Still looking back, but walking forward, she continued. "I'm not saying we don't do the other stuff... but if we have time, it's an option."

Edited by ariel (see edit history)