Vilhelm Redblood- Human Sorcerer

wwaugh

Name: Vilhelm Redblood

Race: Human (Skilled Archetype; proficient in Acrobatics)

Background: Junk Collector

Class: Sorcerer (Undead Bloodline)4fcc362c34882ff13db53ad55b74bb1d.jpg.62e6692407d3a5267da9a6b3d6bf5358.jpg

Vilhelm was born in a minor village in Brevoy, just outside the borders of what used to be Rostland. He was raised as a typical peasant, though everyone seemed to think he was a quicker learner than he should have been. It was whispered that Vilhelm might be able to get their lord's attention, gain a relatively high position in the lord's relatively lowly court, and maybe even make arrangements to learn to read. But that ended in the middle of the night before his twelfth birthday.

Vilhelm remembers having a nightmare, but he can't remember many of the details. (Remembering dreams is hard, unless you put real effort into it, and Vilhelm would soon find a much better use for his mental effort.) He remembers sitting at the head of what he thinks must have been a lord's banquet table, though it was only set with drinking glasses. Then a terrifying golden light shaped like a knight burst through the door to the hall. Shadowy forms he could not identify, but remembers thinking of as friends, tried to bar the man's path, but the golden man slashed through them with a sword of golden light that Vilhelm could only barely tell wasn't part of the man's arm. Then the man with the golden armor stalked towards Vilhelm... but before the golden man could reach him, Vilhelm felt a hand pulling his hair from behind, and a sharp pain in both his back and his stomach.

Vilhelm awoke with a scream, waking up his entire family (who could not afford a house with more than one room) and discovered a length of unidentifiable pink rope-like substance protruding from his belly where he'd felt the unidentifiable pain. Then everyone started screaming. Vilhelm tried to pull this foreign object out of himself in a panic, not even considering whether or not it was a good idea. He soon managed to get the pinkish string out... and the hole it had come out of closed behind it.

Vilhelm's elder brother Jonathan was the first to recover from this shock, and threw himself at Vilhelm. He tried to close his fingers around his brother's throat, as their parents looked on not sure whether to stop him or help him slay the abomination... and suddenly, Vilhelm found red light springing from his hands as he tried to fight his brother off. His brother fell unconscious, but still breathing. Their father had seen enough, and went for a shovel... and Vilhelm bolted past him into the night.

On his way out, Vilhelm had the presence of mind to sneak into the neighbor's barn and steal some food and a backpack to carry it in. They all lived on the edge of starvation, so Vilhelm didn't want to think what this would mean for the neighbors, but he felt no guilt; he was acutely aware that he was about to flirt with starvation far more ardently than he or his neighbors ever had before.

He fled into the mountains, correctly supposing that there would be rivers to break his trail and that they wouldn't put too much effort into tracking him into the mountains anyway. The food he'd taken didn't last long, but he'd always been good at guessing at answers when he was totally out of his depth, and he used that to survive long enough to actually work out how to hunt and forage in the mountains.

While Vilhelm was in the mountains, he also practiced with... whatever had awakened in him that got him into this problem, and learned some ways to use it. He learned how to control magnetic waves to detect metal. He learned how to control metal in order to shape it into darts and fire them, and practiced using it to bring down animals to eat. He even figured out exactly how to draw that ropelike substance out of himself (he assumes that it's an internal organ from that area of his body, but he really doesn't want to know) and use it in place of an actual rope.

These skills allowed him to eke out a semi-comfortable existence as a scavenger, but he was always worrying about how to make ends meet... and whether or not he had to worry about being killed in his sleep by a rival or a lynch mob. Eventually, a customer told Vilhelm that Lady Jamandi Aldori was gathering a party to try and lay claim to the Stolen Lands. Vilhelm is sure that that party will be able to find some use for his powers, and he thinks that the party might be able to grant him actual safety, if that's to be found anywhere.

Edited by wwaugh
added image (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, youngaberration said:

Thank you

Okay, I've switched out backgrounds, and I've changed his equipment list so that it no longer includes stuff that made more sense with the previous build. But I'll need more time to alter his backstory to fit. (Also, I need to redo the picture.) I have until the tenth, right?

Edited by wwaugh (see edit history)

3 hours ago, wwaugh said:

Okay, I've switched out backgrounds, and I've changed his equipment list so that it no longer includes stuff that made more sense with the previous build. But I'll need more time to alter his backstory to fit. (Also, I need to redo the picture.) I have until the tenth, right?

Yes. Take as much time