New "User CP" Page

HydroGuy

Could we get the "User CP" page, or something similar, back?

Currently the closest approximation is the "My Games" tab, which just repeats the exact same information in three separate elements. (The Name/Link to the homepage of the games were in/following) While relegating the list of specific threads we're participating in, and which likely need attention, to a crowded, incomplete list down the side.

Just moving the "Recent Activity in My Games" element back to the top/front/center of the page, or allowing users to customize where each of the elements go, would be a major improvement. As it is, the only effective way to make sure we're up to date is to manually navigate to each game, and each tab in those games, making sure we've checked for unread material.

I will second the request for a page similar to the old UCP. I want to be able to have a landing point for specific games of my choosing to see if there is new content or not. I would think of this as a "short list" that I want to check frequently.

My Games shows me games I've joined, but this includes games I am a member of that I might not be a player in (for instance, private games I want to read along with). My Followed Games isn't exactly appropriate either, as I may want to follow things that I don't need to look at all the time. So in my mind both of those are broader than what a User CP would show.

I might be misunderstanding what y'all are looking for, but I use the My Followed Content page for doing this sort of thing. I subscribe to the active topics/threads in games and can see them all in one place (here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/followed/ or click the down arrow beside your user name in the top right of the page and select "Managed Followed Content").

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

I'm with @Butchern opening the site on my phone, I see first the list of my games, with a very handy visual aid if there are new posts. The picture is either bright and colorful, meaning new posts or more subdued. Using the site from my computer, all I need to hit is my Games under games to get exactly the same result.

To be brutally honest, I like this a lot better then the CP on OGMW.

Maybe this is clearer:

I joined like 12 games, which show up in "My Games"

I followed a bunch of other games and various (non-game) threads that are interesting, all of which shows up in "My Followed Games" and / or the Followed content section.

I play actively in 5 games.

I'd like somewhere to see if these 5 specific games have new posts, which is the primary reason I come to the site. "My Games" and "My Followed Content" are useful, but also have lots of noise that I browse at leisure but not frequently.

Got it. From Activity > My Activity Streams, you can create a new stream that filters specifically for the games you're interested in. You can also set that as your default stream so it shows up when you click on Activity from the header menu.

That is still a lot of noise, honestly. I'd like to see it by game, the way My Games or My Followed Games displays a very concise list at the game level, with whether or not that game has new posts.

Right now if I go to Games --> My Games, it brings up a list of every game that I've joined. Which is the same information that is available in the My Games sidebar that shows up practically everywhere. What I'd like is an option to simply exclude games from the My Games Sidebar, since it is so ubiquitous and that is the information that I want literally everytime I visit the site.

Hmm. To restate in different words, you have games that you are a member of that you don't want to know if there is new content? I'm trying to understand what is different about these other games. What you're proposing is not consistent with how OGMW did things--if you were a game member on OG, the forum would have been listed on your userCP and on the home page with the same top-level indicator of new content, and there was no means to exclude anything.

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

To restate in different words, you have games that you are a member of that you don't want to know if there is new content?

Sort of. It isn't that I don't want to know, it's that it isn't as important that I know.

More or less these are games that I have joined but knowing if there are new posts isn't terribly important because I am not an active player. So, games that I read along now and again but they are private, so I need to join in order to be able to see them. Or games that are dormant or that I may have stepped back from but am still a member.

Like I said, when I hit the site quickly during the day it is generally to check and see if people are waiting on me to post somewhere. It would be nice to be able to see that at a glance without having to sift thru tier 2 stuff.

2 hours ago, Gralhruk said:

Sort of. It isn't that I don't want to know, it's that it isn't as important that I know.

More or less these are games that I have joined but knowing if there are new posts isn't terribly important because I am not an active player. So, games that I read along now and again but they are private, so I need to join in order to be able to see them. Or games that are dormant or that I may have stepped back from but am still a member.

Like I said, when I hit the site quickly during the day it is generally to check and see if people are waiting on me to post somewhere. It would be nice to be able to see that at a glance without having to sift thru tier 2 stuff.

But in the My Games widget, if a game has new post the icon is colored and faded out if they do not. That does let you know what games has new post.

FWIW, that is how I use the My Followed Content page. Only the threads/topics that I actively subscribe to show up there. Being a member/GM of a game does not produce any content there automatically. I can follow games/threads there that I am a member of. I can follow content in games/forums that I am not a member of. I can join and even run games that do not show up there. It is quite granular in its customization.

But, it is not on the front page which is a big deal to some people. I have it bookmarked, so it is still only one click away for me, but it isn't on the front page.

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

That is what I do also. Which means that if I TRULY want to follow a game (say, to read along), that I don't want to add it to my followed games. The workaround would be to instead join that game.

Which is backwards.

Looking by volume:

All Games > Followed Games > Joined Games > Games I Currently Play In

My solution:

1) Rename Games --> My Games page to My Joined games

2) add a checkbox next to each game on My Joined games that says "show in My Games widget"

3) Filter My Games widget by the checkbox