[OOC] Scenario 0: Black Training Ground

Brian Skies

I think it's clear that we want the fire on the (left) archer row, because otherwise it'll kill troops (we have sufficient mounted and melee troops to not fit a single square) while archers we still have a chance to expand by one on even with the fire (and we can put it out just fire before the fight). Also, the fight drawn is fine for us. Gives us time.

Key moment coming so soon means at worst the game ends in 4 turns (including this one), though that's unlikely. It would very likely result in a draw unless we get to blitz all the remaining enemies over the next 4 turns (that's not happening realistically speaking; Moricarn is no good for dealing with the Goblins though if we get unlucky enough to draw all "Key moments" in a row, I can try). This means we need to hurry with the flags to receive the best ending. Teeli is the best for dealing with the Assassin so I think she should do that; meanwhile we somehow need to get rid of the Mercs (maybe Teeli or Mikel has some ability to deal with hard-stat fights? Odira and I don't, at least; we're better at managing the battles) since otherwise we can't cross onto the left flank for the remaining flags before my turn (I can Dimension Door someone there, but it'll be too late). At the present, the active flank is sort of fine though; the enemy has no Archers left thanks to our Mounted charge so this Skirmish will naturally go into our favour and the flank in general seems like we'll just win in one more all-out battle.

EDIT: Maybe Mikel or Odira could fight two Vile Champions in a turn with some chance of success? If the Mercs go down and Mikel still has gas, he can probably beat one Poisoner with Con and then Odira could finish the other one off and, all else being equal, Moricarn might be able to return the flags on their turn. We need one equipment for victory in the command tent so we need to I believe either exceed the difficulty of a Vile Champion or get the one in Tombs. If we went with this plan, Teeli would likely have the best chance of success since she doesn't need to do much else right now than defeat the Vile Champion.

EDIT#2: The second route to victory is crushing both sides of the battlefield, which seems like a slightly more unreliable and involved a task (right flank we'll win easily enough but the left flank looks like a deed and a half with how huge the Dragon Army forces are there). It's worth noting that moving through the Mercs "only" costs 1 Stress so it's not impossibly difficult either, but we'd be on the luck of the draw with the event and unit cards to turn out in our favour if we went this route. I think we have better odds of meeting the "defeat vile champions, gather flags, and get equipment"-condition so I propose we go for that in spite of Odira and I being more battle-oriented.

Edited by Eldariel (see edit history)

I'm okay with trying to take on the Mercs at a disadvantage. However, I don't think you can get to both Vile Champions in the same round because it'll cost too much Stress to do it. +1 for Leaving Right Flank (leaving a Vile Champion's tile), + 1-2 for the Merc (I'll get stressed from killing him), +1 for going through the Left Flank (leaving a Vile Champion tile) and then the Poisoners.

However, I do think I can do it in two, but I need a Ruling on movement. Can I move from Tent > Right Flank > Trail, stop and fight, then keep moving to Left Flank?

I suppose I could volunteer to go against the Glade Assassin instead of the Mercs. It'll be the same Stress result but minus one for not going through Right Flank. If I do go with this option, I might consider using my ability to wipe other Hero Stress on whoever gets hit hard by an event or unforeseen issue.

My abilities add dice to the battle, effectively making me part of the muckity muck. I think it's a neat feature, but I'm wondering if my Kill a Vile Champion > Take the Stress ability is more important to this group makeup.

Teeli is Dex-based so I think she is the best for the Glade Assassin. If you've got an ability to murder Vile Champion, use it on the Mercs! They're the biggest headache we've got since nobody has good abilities for them; Odira and you (presumably) have the ability to smack Goblins with Con while Teeli is Dex for Assassin. I think Odira and I will be able to manage the battles themselves just fine at least on the right flank.

Far as the rules go, I believe you move with one action up to the length of the road but to do anything else, you must stop, so you could take a move from Tent to Trail (1st action), smack Mercs around (2nd action), then move again (3rd action) and do whatever (maybe kick Goblin butt?) [4th action]. Of course, it's a matter of how much stress you take from Mercs; though if you have cards, you could spend them when you're at 3 stress.

But with that ability of yours, we actually have a chance of victory even if key moments keep following one another: Teeli smacks Assassin and takes their flag, you smack Mercs and hopefully one Goblin, Odira smacks the other Goblin and maybe takes the Merc flag on the way, and I can gather the remaining Merc flag and the equipment and return home, provided our front doesn't collapse in the meanwhile (on the right flank we're more than fine especially with both, me and Odira there, but if the left flank becomes active, that can become a problem). The big problem here is of course failing the battles but we should be relatively well off there with proficiency advantage in all the fights but the ability to dump cards into them.

Okay...working out my actions, the best option seems...

1. Move to Sacred Glade

2. Initiate Combat with assassin

Dex Ability Card - Free move (back to command tent)

Dex Ability Card - Free Move (to right flank)

3. Put out fire

4. Move to Command tent

I think this then allows me to get Respite?

@Brian Skies I also have a Class Ability - Dex Response/Sneak attack

Is this something I'm allowed to play after rolling my battle dice during conflict with the assassin? Cos that would give me a better chance to gain equipment

Does it require the use of an action or is it a "Reaction"?

I've realised I could also take down another Vile Champion at a cost of 3 stress...might be worth using at some point

Yes, you can activate Sneak Attack after rolling your battle dice with the assassin. However, activating it would require you to discard a Dex Ability card, which would prevent you from taking one of your free moves. Sneak Attack is a reaction and would not cost you an action to activate.

Okay...so if I'm using an action to examine the object in the Sacred Glade

1. Move to Sacred Glade

2. Initiate Combat with assassin (Possibly Reaction - Sneak attack)

3. Examine Object in Sacred Glade

4. Move to Command tent

Respite?

What do we think? Does this look the most efficient use of my actions?

Okay. Hope I've done this correctly...I think I've defeated the Vile Champion, earned an item, examined the object and returned with it to the Command tent to get respite and replace my DEX cards!

Please let me know if I'm wrong about any of this!!!

Edited by MysteriousMiller (see edit history)