Character Creation Rules

Sensibleshoes

#1 Attributes: Roll 1 more die than specified (i.e. 4d6 instead of 3d6), throwing out the lowest die rolled and tallying up the total as the final attribute. This continues straight down the line as normal. You do not have to accept any roll tally that is lower than 8. Then roll a second time, selecting the higher of the two totals as the final attribute. If you need a certain attribute for an occ, you can roll as many sets of attributes as you need to get an ability score array that will allow you to meet the requirements of that occ. Update: if you get a set that really doesn't work for you, you can roll up to 6 sets to get a character you can work with. If you need more than that, we can reexamine it. I want everyone to be happy with their characters, I also don't want to burden everyone with a completely open, roll as many times as you want, system so that people feel like they can't finish.

#2 RCC/OCC: everyone's character has the mutant animal rcc and an occ, another compatible rcc, or something similar like a Nightbane morph or a Superhero/Supervillain.

For example, you could be a mutant animal otter and an elemental fusionist. Or a mutant animal wolf and a nightbane. Or a mutant animal rat and an assassin.

Both the rcc and the occ level up at the same time.

You get all the skills and abilities/Bio-E modifications of both the rcc and occ. Take whichever hp/sdc advancement is higher. If you have overlapping skills from your mutant animal rcc and occ, either pick new ones or you'll receive a bonus for picking the same skill twice (I have rules for this, but we don't need to get into it unless someone actually wants to do that).

There will probably be some other issues we'll have to deal with, but those comments should cover most of the rules interactions.

Start at level 5.

#3 Free Secondary Skills: To avoid having to come up with untrained skill checks rules for lots of common actions, I'm giving some common 'country skills' as free secondary skills so we can just have normal skill check rolls for this kind of stuff in the game. It's also going to be a pain if everyone fails common wilderness stuff like tracking b/c no one has it as a skill, so I'd rather just have that as assumed background competency to avoid getting slowed down by mechanical silliness. If you already get these from an rcc or occ, just pick another secondary skill to compensate.

Note: Edit this list of 'base package' secondary skills if you need to to reflect a more urban background for your character. It should give you a sense of the basic kinds of stuff you should automatically be able to do.

Communication
Barter
Language
Sing
Espionage
Wilderness
Survival
Horsemanship
Horsemanship: General
Mechanical
Basic Mechanics
Medical
Animal Husbandry
Brewing: Medicinal
First Aid
Holistic Medicine
Military
Camouflage
Physical
Physical Labor
Pilot
Boat: Paddle
Science
Math: Basic
Technical
Breed Dogs
General Repair
Jury Rig
Leather Working
Masonry
Rope Work
Salvage
Whittling
Pretty much any Lore
Wilderness
Carpentry
Hunting
Identify Plants and Fruit
Land Navigation
Preserve Food
Skin and Prepare Hides
Track and Trap Animals
Wilderness Survival

#4 HP/SDC: You can roll your health value twice and taken the highest, and also reroll all 1s.

#5 Equipment: I'm just handwaving this and encumbrance rules -- just pick stuff that's thematically appropriate for your character -- don't be silly a have two boom guns or similar nonsense, but just pick reasonable equipment.

#6 Advancement: I'm not adding up xp -- it's a pain in this system since it's granular down to stuff like skill checks. I'll just tell you when you go up in level. I'll probably hand out additional micro-advancements between levels like the option to learn a new skill or some additional Bio-E points.

#7 The Palladium Books forums have several threads of homebrew that you can use if you want: https://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=2dec163e6967ec098119575f78a48cd2#6

Edited by Sensibleshoes (see edit history)

You can pick from fantasy, rifts, dead reign etc., but this is an sdc world with steam punk as opposed to space age tech, so no demigods, alien intelligences, glitterboys, dragon juicers, or similar concepts.

My concept for this was stuff like a fox mutant ranger or a black cat mutant witch or a dog mutant knight or rat mutant assassin, for example.

Yes something like that. You're already going to have a lot more extra skills and abilities than a normal AtB character, you don't need to go crazy -- probably focus on the sdc settings like Nightbane, Fantasy, Dead Reign, and Beyond the Supernatural. There is good/relevant stuff in like New West, Lonestar, and Spirit West, but I'm not interested in trying to break the game here -- the players aren't supposed to be the most specialest snowflakes or the strongest possible characters in the world.

more silly interrogations

a) what's the tech level of this postapoc future? are energy weapons and other futuristic stuff appropriate?

b) is Ninja and Superspies and appropriate source (no bionics, if I wanted those, I'd go straight to HU)

It's a strange admixture (and it's not the future, it's the post apocalyptic Colonial past) -- 'Colonial Atompunk' is the best way to describe it -- it's like Colonial New England, but with esoteric/hermetic/masonic alchemy mutations and bioorganic material and Nikolai Tesla electro-ethereum tech that resembles Jules Verne-WWI retro-futurism. Deadlands, Malifaux are some good aesthetic touchstones, but with more of a Van-Helsing, Solomon Kane aesthetic.

You can use Ninjas and Superspies -- you can basically use any Palladium book, I just don't want a bunch of demigods as the party.