Character Creation Rules

Sensibleshoes

4 hours ago, Svartalf said:

My guess is any, things that go beyond sword, pike and musket just have to be reskinned as vril rifles, ethereum chain blades and lightsabers

Yep -- it's not 1666 tech exactly, it's 'Colonial Atompunk' -- some of the tech looks like 40k krieg stuff, and there are steampunk ether 'thunder wagons' with bizarre mutant rinocentes pulling them with electroharnesses and similar stuff. Some of the tech looks almost WWI level steampunk punk like 40k gothic things. Try to stay away from cyberpunk and hard scifi stuff and come up with magic-scifi stuff like eberron or similar franchises. Everything should look at latest approximately 1800s with lots of gears and ghost energy. 1800s retrofutuism like Jules Verne War of the Worlds and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea are also good aesthetic touchstones. Iron Kingdoms. Malifaux.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a live version of this game (same setting, different story, both sets of characters exist in the same universe) starting on Tuesday with the same rules if anyone is free Tuesday 6pm EST and would like to play. A couple of the players here are from the discord for that game. We have 4 right now but could use 1-2 more to fill out our roster. I'm going to be using Maptool for the battlemaps, and I'll just stream it on discord if anyone has trouble connecting to the server. Send me a DM if interested.

Edited by Sensibleshoes (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Sensibleshoes said:

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a live version of this game (same setting, different story, both sets of characters exist in the same universe) starting on Tuesday with the same rules if anyone is free Tuesday 6pm EST and would like to play. A couple of the players here are from the discord for that game. We have 4 right now but could use 1-2 more to fill out our roster. I'm going to be using Maptool for the battlemaps, and I'll just stream it on discord if anyone has trouble connecting to the server. Send me a DM if interested.

How long are the sessions? Is the audio on discord?

I ask because to me 6PM is midnight, I'm a night owl, but from 3 AM, I tend to snore...

6 minutes ago, Svartalf said:

How long are the sessions? Is the audio on discord?

I ask because to me 6PM is midnight, I'm a night owl, but from 3 AM, I tend to snore...

They're going to be between 4-5 hrs, and would be voice chat over discord with maptool for maps, so that doesn't sound like a good fit if you have difficulty staying awake past 3am. We'd be finishing up 4am-5am your time. I'd be very hesitant about your participation with that time frame -- I've mostly found players that try to 'make it work' end up not being comfortable long term when the game isn't in their normal waking hours and end up dropping fairly soon no matter their original enthusiasm or interest in the game.

3 minutes ago, Svartalf said:

I love me long sessions, but the time zone difference means I'll stay on MW and let others play in real time.

Unfortunately I've found that opposite-side-of-the-planet time zone games don't really work for live audio games -- I'm pretty much looking for other EST or very near that time zone players.

7 hours ago, Sensibleshoes said:

Yep -- it's not 1666 tech exactly, it's 'Colonial Atompunk' -- some of the tech looks like 40k krieg stuff, and there are steampunk ether 'thunder wagons' with bizarre mutant rinocentes pulling them with electroharnesses and similar stuff. Some of the tech looks almost WWI level steampunk punk like 40k gothic things. Try to stay away from cyberpunk and hard scifi stuff and come up with magic-scifi stuff like eberron or similar franchises. Everything should look at latest approximately 1800s with lots of gears and ghost energy. 1800s retrofutuism like Jules Verne War of the Worlds and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea are also good aesthetic touchstones. Iron Kingdoms. Malifaux.

So...revolvers, lever and bolt action rifles, cranked gatling guns etc, I would assume that MGs are not the norm.

18 minutes ago, crowe9107 said:

So...revolvers, lever and bolt action rifles, cranked gatling guns etc, I would assume that MGs are not the norm.

What is MG an abbreviation for? Other than that, yes-- it's a weird higher level of tech powered by spirit energy and vril beams in a colonial setting. It's a weird mash up of stuff.

6 hours ago, Sensibleshoes said:

Ooh, that sounds cool :)

2 hours ago, 8w_gremlin said:

Do we have a decent easy-to-fill-out character sheet?
pulling all of this together is messy!

There is a Rifts excel sheet, but we've been trying to use it for the live game and it has errors in the cells that give the wrong numbers for skills, so I don't feel good recommending that. There is a pdf sheet on the palladium books website, but it doesn't have a lot of white space to organize things nicely. I'll see if I can find something better that's multi-system.

EDIT: I found something that might work. I'm attaching it. Does someone have the ability to edit this pdf to add like 10 more of the skills pages into this? I think it also needs another powers/spells page to cover everything. At that point I think it would be usable.

I also found this page where you can sort of make your own character sheet: https://fari.app/. It seems like it would be possible with a few hrs to create something usable.

If you give me enough time I can make one with that fari app., I just wouldn't be able to do it until next week at the very earliest.

RIFTS AS DND 5E CHARACTER SHEET 0155.pdf