Character Creation Rules

Sensibleshoes

29 minutes ago, Sensibleshoes said:

It is an sdc world --
I just did a session with sdc only rules -- I think it works much better without the mdc element myself.

I think this post has some good rules of thumb to get sdc values out of MDC if something, or something equivalent, isn't listed in the conversion books: https://www.palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=137800.

So do I assume that MD stuff is just SDC with the same numbers, or do you intend to fix a ratio (say 1 MD = 10 or 20 SDC, but the AC remains the same and there is no immunity to non MD attacks)?

Edited by Sensibleshoes (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, Svartalf said:

So do I assume that MD stuff is just SDC with the same numbers, or do you intend to fix a ratio (say 1 MD = 10 or 20 SDC, but the AC remains the same and there is no immunity to non MD attacks)?

It sort of depends on a case by case basis -- there are different formulas in the books and work better or worse with different examples. Here's another thread that covers some of the complexities: https://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=132640.

For right now, you can do 10 SDC = 1 MDC or 1 sdc = 1 mdc if you just need a quick value for character creation, but I may go back and tweak it later as applying the same rule across the board is probably going to give some odd/counterintuitive results. Again, this thread has some good rules of thumb for different kinds of things if you want to try to get a more on the point conversion based on if it's a house sized object or a sword you can hold in your hand: https://www.palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=137800

Nightbane, WB1 suggests either 1 MDC = 5 sdc or 1 MDC = 10 sdc. There isn't an absolute formula in the system that's consistently applied over all cases. The Rifts conversion books have lots of examples, but I don't think there's 1 ratio that gets applied consistently in all cases.I wasn't initially planning on MDC stuff -- if people want to convert it, just do, MDC 1 =5 SDC or MDC 1= 10 SDC and I'll look at it after character creation is done and see if the values need to be tweaked to be more in line with the characters created with exclusively SDC materials.

Edited by Sensibleshoes (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Inash said:

I was assuming the default 100 SDC per MDC, which is why I'm a bit hesitant to actually use any MDC stuff, but it's so tempting.

I make SDC characters, as per instructions, I make them mainly from Rifts, so assumedly with MDC equipment, but if the DM accepts any of my creations, there will be serious talk about MD and SD values and what I actually am allowed to have.

49 minutes ago, Svartalf said:

I make SDC characters, as per instructions, I make them mainly from Rifts, so assumedly with MDC equipment, but if the DM accepts any of my creations, there will be serious talk about MD and SD values and what I actually am allowed to have.

The 100 SDC = 1 MDC conversion is the value on MDC worlds, not SDC worlds. That's just if you have to calculate how many SDC damage you need to affect a MDC target on Rifts Earth. There are a lot of different systems which I've quoted above for what to do if you move a MDC person, place, or thing from an MDC environment like Rifts Earth to an SDC environment like Palladium Fantasy

21 minutes ago, Svartalf said:

I certainly do not expect to be using MDC stuff in an SDC environment, I expect to be given conversion conventions, or stats so things are fine and dandy.

Do MDC 1 = SDC 10 for now, and note somehow (highlight, underline) anything that's originally MDC and I'll look at them once characters are finished and adjust up or down if I think necessary

39 minutes ago, Sensibleshoes said:

Do MDC 1 = SDC 10 for now, and note somehow (highlight, underline) anything that's originally MDC and I'll look at them once characters are finished and adjust up or down if I think necessary

Will go through another offering or two before I dive into equipment... be ready for awkwardness, as I'm not overfamiliar with the genre, but I'm open to suggestions and corrections.

No rush, I'm perfectly content to wait and keep working on world building stuff -- I just wanted to check in on the off chance everyone felt like it was too long and wanted to get started.

I'm currently thinking about some of the south east and developing that a bit.

I started posting some details of your first mission -- we're going to bypass all the 'meet up at the Inn' scenes b/c this is pbp, and get right into it. You've been hired by the alchemist guilds of Kamden and 'Sin City' (i.e. Amsterdam) to recover a vessel that disappeared on a voyage across the Atlantic that has a cargo of alchemist's gold. The ship was apparently lost near the Rimefrost Isles, cursed islands near Atlantis that are inhabited by undead vyking mutant-animal puffins and other dangers. You begin the game on board a rescue vessel sent to retrieve the valuable cargo.

Should we just start posting or are we waiting for something?

Also, I was thinking of adjusting the hovertank to a slower, tracked tank to be more tech appropriate, but with starting on a ship, I think it makes sense to have it ride on an etheromagnetic air cushion, just much slower and closer to the ground than the robotech hovercraft would be.