General OOC Thread

Morkskittar

@Dr JackalWhy does this remind me of the mechanical shark from James and the Giant Peach?

Besides that it looks good from my part (although the mental image of a trimaran buzzing away with three chainsaws does look hella cool!). No need for stealth if you're all guns and armor.

Edited by XQbitor (see edit history)

Actually, I like the idea of zero stealth, hella speed, and more dakka. Why bother being quiet when we can chase you down and blow you up?

I'm probably going to pick up a couple of deck weapons because I (Dr Jackal) like brute-force solutions to problems.

Also I (Dr Jackal) am selecting options that will make Tharr so very, very uncomfortable.

Sorry for the confusion post in the ship building thread was meant as a placeholder for me to think about the stats, didn't intend it to be a template, but feel free to use it as one if ya want!

Also a question about shipbuilding - are the individual stakes limited to the undercrew and add-ons or can things like frame/hull etc be chosen or enhanced with the crew stake points as well?

Edited by CraterShip (see edit history)

In standard ship creation rules, you can 'donate' individual stakes to take more advanced Design elements. To try and limit the amount of coordination required with at least 8 players, I limited the individual stakes to add-ons/undercrew and the collective stakes to design elements.

That being said, if you really want more than one 2-stake Design element and you can coordinate things so that a majority of people seem to want it, you can offer to grant your stake to upgrade another Design element.

I will absolutely invest some Stakes in the ship design. Honestly, I wasn't loving a lot of the other choices anyway. Tharr doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who would command the respect of an undercrew.

Let me think up some other designs ...

Moneypenny (Dr Jackal)

A scuffed painting of a severe-looking, conservatively-dressed Ardent adorns the prow of this coppery, Pre-V vessel.

Standard Size (+1 Armor)

Sturdy Frame (+1 Armor)

Exile's Copper* (+1 Armor, +1 Speed)

Longjaw* (+1 Saws, +1 Speed)

Reclaimed Burner* (+3 Speed, -1 Seals)

+3 Armor, +5 Speed, +1 Saws, -1 Seals

2 Additional stakes

Iron Maiden (Dr Jackal)

A grinning, desiccated corpse hangs as a figurehead of this lumbering beast of a ship. Fireflies seem oddly attracted to the empty eyesockets -- there's always a pair of them in there.

Standard Size (+1 Armor)

Moulded Frame (+1 Seals)

Reef Iron (+1 Armor)

Mulcher* (+2 Saws, +1 Armor, -1 Stealth)

Jawbox (+1 Speed, +1 Saws, -1 Stealth)

+3 Armor, +3 Saws, +1 Speed, +1 Seals, -2 Stealth

0 Additional stakes

La Blue Girl (Dr Jackal)

There is no figurehead to this vessel -- usually. Somewhere buried in the bio-organic mass of the ship is a life-size figurine of a young woman with dark hair and a short skirt. When the ship gets excited, the figurine appears and the ship's tendrils begin toying with it in a manner that is ... unsettling. (Sorry. Nobody asked for it, but I couldn't resist.)

Standard Size (+1 Armor)

Light Frame (+1 Speed)

Chrysalid* (+1 Seals, +1 Stealth)

Tentaculari* (+2 Tilt)

Pulsing Cocoon (+1 Armor)

+2 Armor, +1 Speed, +1 Seals, +1 Stealth, +2 Tilt

1 Additional stake

Martinet (Cratership)

A colorful Pre-V statue of a mutated humanoid creature stands at the prow of this vessel. It wears blue overalls and a red hat, and it raises one white-gloved hand in triumph.

Standard Size (+1 Armor)

Sleek Frame (+1 Stealth)

Ghost Oak* (+1 Armor, +1 Tilt)

Sawprow (+1 Saws)

Chemical Compressor (+1 Speed)

+2 Armor, +1 Saws, +1 Speed, +1 Stealth, +1 Tilt

0 Additional stakes

Humorous (yxanthymir)

This ship needs no figurehead. Its prow is the huge grinning skull of some dragon-like beast. (This is made of one set of yx's specs.)

Standard Size (+1 Armor)

Sturdy Frame (+1 Armor)

Leviathan Bone (+1 Seals)

Steam Piping (+1 Seals)

+2 Armor, +1 Saws, +1 Speed, +2 Seals

0 Additional stakes

What the Builders Refused (yxanthymir)

Cleverly interlocking ceramic plates cover the frame of this boat. There is no figurehead, as that would compromise hull integrity. (This is made of the second set of yx's specs.)

Standard Size (+1 Armor)

Moulded Frame (+1 Seals)

Ceramic* (+1 Armor, +1 Seals)

Sawprow (+1 Saws)

Ceramic Batteries* (+1 Saws, +1 Seals)

+2 Armor, +2 Saws, +3 Seals

1 Additional stakes

Noisy Cricket (Nightshyft)

Made from the moulted carapace of a giant canopede, it might look like one of those giant predators except for the plume of smoke that trails behind it and the giant yellow smiley face painted on the front.

Standard Size (+1 Armor)

Scything Frame (+1 Saws)

Chitinous (+1 Speed)

Jawbox (+1 Saws, +1 Speed, -1 Stealth)

+1 Armor, +3 Saws, +3 Speed, -1 Stealth

0 Additional stakes

I am not sure but I believe we are going overboard. Every rating starts at 1. Every design choice adds one or two. Some subtracts one. Can ratings go above 3? Reclaimed Burners add three to Speed. Maybe it is a typo.

I don't know how negative ratings work. Maybe we should at least end with Stealth 1.

The upper limit for ship ratings is 6, and they bottom out at 0 (meaning they fail every test for that rating). The reclaimed burner does add +3 Speed, but when used too much can (and narratively speaking, probably will) explode at some point.

Seeing as we may be approaching ten players, I am interested if you all would prefer to stay on one large ship (in case there is any attrition) or to take two separate routes in two ships (if this later case, you will be equipped with ancient pre-V "radios" that let both ships stay in communication with each other, working together from across the sea).

I would be ok with either decision, more people on one ship would definitely be interesting for downtime and able to get a lot accomplished, but could become burdensome for posting, while two ships in communication gives us some interesting options like coordinating attacks or heading in different directions and coming back together to share stories (whispers).