General OOC Thread

Morkskittar

I freaking LOVE the idea of a trimaran... but I am wondering if we could have a twist... A trimaran that can become a catamaran. That the center hull, can detach from the main vessel and become an independent craft. We could go big, armored, fast and noisy with the Cat, and go stealthy for the third hull that can detach. Maybe big freaking bitey saws for the cat hulls and silent hover for the third hull.

I like the idea of two ships. Probably one that is fast and light and stealthy, and then an icebreaker type ship that focuses more on saws and armor. It would make sense for those to pair up for a common goal. Also, if there's player attrition, we can condense into one ship.

EDIT: Didn't see Moves' post before I posted. I'm not sure I love the sidecar ship, but I do agree with two different types of ships.

Edited by Dr Jackal (see edit history)

@Dr Jackal Except my concept wouldn't be a sidecar. Center hull, rides low, practically cannot be seen between the two big hulls on either side. Ship get's into trouble, sneaky, fast, low riding hull detaches and then ambushes the hell out of whatever is bothering us.

I also had some crazy idea that the third and center hull... If it was like a mahoosive outrider (And the launching mechanism for an outrider can be a catapult) that the third hull gets launched like a crossbow bolt full of angry hovering lightning for one heck of a surprise attack, but couldn't figure out the mechanics of that.

If you get enough people on board, we can work with a full cata/trimaran hybrid, though part of my impetus to split ships would be avoid cramming too many people into one IC thread and risking some voices getting lost, so likely I would encourage (but not force) you to take different routes in two ships. It's a balance between potential attrition and giving everyone a chance to shine with such a large group of players.

That being said... if, failing to reach the quorum for a full-on modular trimaran, if two of you want to go in together on a very large outrider, I may be open to an outrider for 2-4 passengers, with 2 stakes spent on a large catapult launcher for it and then with stakes spent on two chassis mashed together (for a total of 4-6 stakes, depending on which chassis you go for; one person would spend 1 for the launcher and buy one chassis, and the other would spend 1 more for the launcher and buy the other chassis, and the stats for the chassis would be combined in a manner I would have to mull over for a bit). If you go this route, you can have a catamaran with a mini extra maran between the hulls. :P

I am leaning slightly towards having two ships as we will likely have 10 players (so two ships with 5 players each), and should we have sufficient attrition in one ship I have some in-built ways to mush the survivors together again. Having 10 players in a single IC thread would make it difficult for every player to be able top shine.

If anyone has strong feelings one way or the other, let me know your thoughts. :)

Doesn't matter to me. I usually go with the flow. That being said, the Trimaran sounds so cool. Interesting point to bring up: Ships, unlike other vehicles, continue moving when the players sleep. That means someone would need to be at the helm or at the very least, on watch. That would mean a five man crew would be incredibly small for "sailing" across the boughs. The ten man crew would be the right size, five on and five off. When talking about ships, there is always more to it than at first seems. We could hand wave the stationing of people to say it is covered...

On 9/24/2023 at 5:04 PM, Moveslikejagger said:

So a day crew and a night crew. Interesting idea. I'd try that. Ship's galley/mess hall as an off duty area. And of course "All hands on deck".when stuff gets real interesting.

I would be down to spend the points on the uber-outrigger. Anyone else?

Good idea, but not great for PBP. Better go for simultaneous actions.

Updated shipbuilding threads are up! I'll give you all at least a week to sort out what you want. :)

Please also note that the links to the virtual character sheets have been updated (see the description of this forum).

Edited by Morkskittar (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...