PP:   13

Speed:  30

Ammo:  6/6

Action Surge:  1/1

Second Wind:  1/1

Fighting Spirit: 3/3

Condition:  Normal

Features

Class Features:  Action SurgeSecond WindFighting Style - Archery, Fighting Spirit

Tools:  Thieves' Tools, Playing Cards

Languages:  Common, Paridon Creole

Weapons & Armors:  All Weapons, All Armors, Shields

Feats:  Gunner

Racial & Background:  Ear to the Ground

IC

"Sure, we can help," Joliet replies with a smile that can be heard in every word. "Thing is, Doru, there are some who cast doubts, yeah? Though your words ring true to my ear, some'd say that the Master is pullin' your strings like a puppet in a penny arcade. May be that the words ring true because there's no harm to the Master in spillin' some truth, whilst still concealin' the whole of it. May be that by doin' so, he lulls some folks into a false sense of security. Then he's got a man on the inside, if you follow."

She glances back at Tamu and the others, looking for any signs as to which way they might each be blowing. She then continues, saying, "Tell you what, Doru. You say you saw the big man scarred, which would imply there are things in this world harmful to his ilk. Which I'm supposin' is close to your ilk now, too, yeah? So give us something we can work with, something you'd be willin' to corroborate yourself. In a nonlethal manner, of course. And then maybe we'll have the seed of a trustin' partnership.

"Because the way I hear it, the only surefire way to cure you of your curse is to bring the big man low. Six feet under low, if you catch my meanin'. You think you can help with that?"

OOC

Move:  n/a

Action:  n/a

AoO: n/a

Action Surge:  n/a

Bonus Action:  n/a

Reaction:  n/a

Name
Insight (on his previous spiel)
1d20+4 5
Persuasion with Guidance (since I'm basically asking him to be a guinea pig)
1d20+1d4+4 6,1
Second Persuasion roll in case of advantage
1d20+4 19

Already wet of face, Father Donavich listens, he nods. When the prayer deepens, he cries more, moaning in reverence and at all that he has lost. His weeping is like a thunder that carries heavy on the soul of everyone, including Joliet, including Tamu, including Doru. When the prayer ends, Donavich sits down, and says plainly, "Make it so, O Morninglord." And putting his face in his hands, he weeps more, before taking Giselle's hand. "The prayer was beautiful, inspired. Not once have I heard a soul beyond myself give even a half nod of sincerity to the Morninglord: you are truly a ray of light in this dark place, Sister."

Perhaps the prayer was distracting, but Joliet could not get a read on Doru. Was he telling the truth? Was he gaining her trust to try and get her to do something for him? Whatever the case, she keeps a steady hand on the negotiation and is in what she deems is control, but does Doru? His breathing, heavy before, is shallow behind the locked trap door, and if he is thinking something, planning something, it remains locked in there with him. Joliet offers him a deal: they will fix this, if he gives them information. His breathing increases again.

"I... they kept me in the basement. I knew so little! But I remember what my comrade said, when we found him bleeding. He said... what was it... he said 'His heart lies outside the vessel! He is immortal!' I didn't know what it meant. I don't know now. But I know he has spent the last year healing, and is close to being completely healed, if he is not already there. He knows things. He can hear what others cannot hear, see what others cannot see. No spell, no magic, is beyond his reach. He knew the Archmage was coming before he arrived! But... I know not more than that. I do not know his special weaknesses... I do not know anything. I am but a worm before him, and to you, nothing but a hungry dolt. Please... please, just help me. Find a way to feed me. I am still myself when my brain is not starving. Please. If you can cure me, do so, and I do not want to hurt anyone... but I can think more clearly with blood. Please."

Ireena and Ismark look to one another, trying to make sense of it; the talk of Strahd knowing things is terrifying, but the idea he is not to his full strength is another thing entirely. That look in their eyes, beyond mourning, is hope.

Out of Character

spacer.png

We can skip ahead to the funeral, or perhaps we can come up with a blood solution. If you want, feel free to roll an Arcana on that topic specifically.

Dynaheir-Minscthara-02-375x500DYNAHEIR | HP 32/32 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12 | Rages Remaining 3

Dynaheir, standing behind Joliet with her sword still drawn and ready should Doru try anything, feels her heart being wrenched in her chest. Despite her skepticism and resolve to do what was needed to protect the people of Barovia, Doru's words and desperate pleas seem earnest and genuine. This man was a hero who tried to free his people from suffering! To put him to death simply for the danger he might someday present seems too cruel and unjust.

"I will offer some of my blood," she says quietly. "It is strong blood, the blood of heroes. Perhaps it will sate him longer than others' might. But we must figure out a way to ensure he is fed while we are gone."

image.png.96665b6a5ba89c3b8a3da17040db17df.pngJoliet

HP:   30/30

AC:   14

Init:  +3

Features

Class Features:  Action SurgeSecond WindFighting Style - Archery, Fighting Spirit

IC

"Let's not be hasty," Joliet says to Dyna's generous offer. "May be there's another way?

"Oi, Ismark. Are there criminals here in town? Convicted or just reliably known to be? Why deprive Dyna here of her precious life's blood if there's someone else not deservin' of their own. A murderer
? A pederast? Someone that would leave the world in a better place for their absence from it, yeah?"

She's still not quite ready to believe Doru, but she wants to keep him talking. And if sating his new appetite is what it takes, she's willing to entertain some alternatives to a barbarian bloodletting.

OOC

bramtoke.png.9dfccc21ea93a65b3fda4f82615969f5.pngBramzoz Nannin

HP:   20/20

AC:   12/15/17/20

Init:  +2

Spell Slots: 4/4lvl1, 2/2lvl2

Arcane Recovery:  1/1

Portent Dice:  15/1

Snipssnipstoke.png.504941c5eb410641aac7c36772f2ca50.png

HP:   1/1

AC:   11

Init:  +1

Speed:  5 ft. , fly 30 ft.

Flyby

Keen Hearing and Sight

Features

Class Features:  Spellcasting, Arcane Recovery, Arcane Tradition: Divination, Divination Savant, Portent

Languages:  Celestial, Common, Elvish, Infernal

Weapons & Armors:  Crossbow, Light, Dagger, Dart, Quarterstaff, Sling, no armor

Feats:  Warcaster

Racial & Background:  Researcher

IC

The conversation was difficult to listen to. Doru's recent life has been a tragedy; there is no question. But, if he was a thrall to Strahd, they couldn't trust his words. Even if every word that Doru spoke was true, there was still the distinct possibility that the words were spoken at the behest of Strahd and had an alterior motive. Bram did sympathize with Doru, but at the end of the day, what he said just couldn't be trusted. He wanted to believe they would be facing a weaker, injured Strahd than Doru and the Archmage had faced, but they had no way of knowing if that was true. The Archmage story had at least been partially verified by the locals, so all they really knew was that Strahd had bested a wizard many times more powerful than Bram himself, along with a local militia. All they really knew was that they were embarking on a most dangerous path.

As the conversation progressed, Bram 's musings were interrupted by Joliet's question about possible fodder that they could feed Doru. The thought of feeding a sentient creature to a vampire was sickening, but if they were already slated for death, what was the difference? Bram would just make sure not to watch. "I believe the saying goes: 'Waste not, want not,'" he said. "If some sick fool is to be executed, might as well let Doru clear his head a bit with a good meal. However, I don't take Barovia to be a place that has many people awaiting the headaman's axe. This feels like the type of place that gets that sort of job done as soon as it arises. If there are none on death row, perhaps we could find some large rats instead?"

OOC

Bonus Action: n/a

Item Interaction:  n/a

Doru's whimpers are the only indication that he's still there, repetitions of words already said. As they step back to discuss logistics of keeping Doru sane, Ismark and Ireena lean in close as the questions come to them.

The idea of feeding the executed to Doru is not a particularly palatable one: these are people they know, and Ireena's face wears that discomfort. Ismark is more introspective. "Five were killed by Strahd, hung on the gallows outside of town, shortly after the Archmage's Uprising. Three more have been killed in the ten months since, but none recently. We are a small population: over half of the homes in Barovia are unoccupied. It is a novel idea; if this were Vallaki, it would work. But the law here works differently, more slowly." Ireena adds to that. "If we revealed we knew Strahd had spies amongst us, it would only turn his vengeance upon the Burgomaster's estate and all of us in it. More importantly, my brother is intent on seeing me out of Barovia: we won't be here to administer justice, and who does that leave us? Father Donavich is judicious but he's a bleeding heart: the fact Doru is down below is proof of that. Bildrath would see half the town hung and would be a petty little tyrant. Handing the keys to the Vistani invites witch hunts and anarchy, if not outright rebellion by everyone else. Who do you hand the gavel and executioner's noose to?"

As Bram and Tamu are relatively new, they have no answers either.

"Animals could make sense, but how do we do that covertly? 'We'll remove some of the fees, in exchange for blood.' Suddenly who's the vampire?" Ismark laughs at his own grimness. "No. Once my father is buried, we are heading out of town. Father Donavich may be willing to help, but I don't know how receptive any part of town would be to him suddenly having control of things. If he were to become a big game hunter, he would donate what he kills to the villagers, which might buy grace. He's not particularly skilled, from what my father used to say, but it's a possible solution." It seems he has talked himself into it; and why hasn't Donavich done this already?

Ireena sighs. In the distance, a wolf howls: not close, but enough to be noticed.

"Is that enough? I hate this situation, I wish we could help Doru more." Ireena has no right to speak of bleeding hearts.

Out of Character

spacer.png

Any thoughts, because otherwise we can move on to proposing this to Donavich and moving onward and ever upwards.

Flyby

Keen Hearing and Sight

Features

Class Features:  Spellcasting, Arcane Recovery, Arcane Tradition: Divination, Divination Savant, Portent

IC

Bram felt powerless in this situation... and he hated it. It wasn't just that it was so utterly heartbreaking for Donavich, but Bram just knew he should do better, have some other solution. But, at the present moment, with their present knowledge, perhaps this was all they could do. Maybe, when they killed Strahd, Doru could be trusted with freedom. Maybe with the death of his master he'd turn mindless and need to be put down. There wasn't much more they could do for now.

"I hope you can persevere through this hard time, Donavich," Bram said honestly. "As Giselle so elegantly said in her beautiful prayer, there is hope. Trust in the Morninglord, do what you can for Doru, and we'll do the rest." Then Bram was eager to get moving. He helped in whatever way he could with the funerals. He had no idea how funerals were conducted in this strange plane of existence, so he was actually interested in finding out. Religion had helped him come to terms with some traumatic events of his childhood and since then he had reserved a healthy appetite for academic interest in the various gods and beliefs that he had come in contact with. This was both a learning opportunity as well as a chance for him to connect with his own religious needs.

OOC

RVskL6u.jpgchecked-shield.svgAC: 13 | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Languages: Common, Celestial, Elvish, Infernal

Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Current Conditions: None

The words of Giselle made Tamu shift uncomfortably, and she reflexively moved her fingers to the three entwined symbols tucked beneath her blouse. Though it was most likely her imagination, she felt a coldness around the little trinkets. Giselle's trust in the Morninglord mirrored a faith she once placed in the Dead Three - but that faith had been misplaced. She wondered how soon before Giselle would be called by her deity to make a sacrifice she couldn't make.

Tamu stayed close to Joliet, though she grew more uneasy with Doru's words. Whatever heroic ideals he may have had before, she doubted he possessed much more than the dredges of that morality in his current state. Her gut told her that Doru (or the shade that was left) needed to be destroyed before he could do any harm. But another part of her - Nuzha's voice no doubt - felt her heart torn by Doru's state. There were times Tamu felt life's choices were simpler when she let her anger and frustration direct her decisions.

With a sigh, she commented softly, quietly enough not to allow Doru or Donavich to hear, "The man seems maddened by his...condition. I sincerely doubt he would be much use to anyone right now. And offering him blood may give him the strength he needs to think or muscle a way out of confinement. Unless you are willing to kill Doru like the hungry creature he may have become, perhaps the best course is to leave him be, under the watch of the priest. It may not be ideal - it may be delaying an eventual problem - but I don't see how letting a monster regain its strength would do any good to this village."

image.png.96665b6a5ba89c3b8a3da17040db17df.pngJoliet

HP:   30/30

AC:   14

Init:  +3

Features

IC

"Sit tight, Doru," Joliet says as she climbs to her feet. "Need to confer with some folks." She then cocks her head back towards the others, inviting Tamu to step away from the captive and out of earshot with her.

She listens to the discussion going on between Ismark and Ireena, but her furrowed brow betrays her lack of understanding. Politics, whether small town or big city, are beyond her ken and frankly beyond her desire to know. As far as she's concerned, the problem is simple. There's a monster here, and it needs dealing with.
"Right, I'll leave the administratin' of this here burg to the lot of you. But as for Doru, we need to decide if there's opportunity to be had, yeah? If he and this Strahd are similar beasties, do we test this one to learn what makes the other tick? Are there stories of weaknesses or other failings we might confirm on the pup, to make our huntin' of the big dog all the easier? Or do we just put this dog down before it can bite anyone in our absence? Happy to do the doin' if nobody else has a taste for it," she offers, with a spin of her strange weapon's cylinder for effect.

OOC

Giselle Kelyre, "the Drowned"    (Half-Elven Paladin of Conquest 3)Giselle

AC: 18 |  HP: 21/21 |  Passive Perception: 11 | Features | Conditions: None

Spells: ○ ○ ○ (1st) Lay On Hands: 15 / 15

Giselle stands, slowly. Her knees ached, she was unused to kneeling for a long time. Shows how I have gotten out of the habit of being humble. Hmm. Perhaps this a solution for the tarnished Father before me.

Her voice was low, reasonable. She looked Donavich in the eye, clear and without judgement. "Perhaps the only way back for you is to start at the beginning. This town has seen horrors; everyone seems affected in some way by the Devil in the castle. As we have all walked in shadow, we need an example of the light, of the dawn. I think no one who lives here is completely clean. Do not hold yourself to that standard.

"I think you should come clean about your son. Admit you made mistakes. Do not expect forgiveness, but seek to do right by the villagers. Mend fences. Do small kindnesses. Show humility.

"Be the example the Morninglord wants you to be. Engage with the community honestly, cleanly, acknowledging that you are not perfect. But with the worst in the open, at least you will be able to look people in the eye.

"Make this chapel a place of holiness again, because it needs to be a symbol of hope. The dawn's light shows there are few enough of those in this land. That can happen with hard work, humility, and honesty on your part. You've made a mess in here, even if not directly physically. Certainly spiritually. Take responsibility for your own shortcomings, admit them, and work toward making them right.

She hopes the others are making progress with the problem of Doru. She sees a huddle and wishes she could join, could give counsel. Perhaps her only advocacy would be for such honesty and openness. Maybe there would be a debate amongst the villagers, and she doubted it would be a straightforward conversation. But she thought it would be an opportunity to lance a boil. To see who carries the most poison in the village. And if Donavich can find firm footing with Lathander again, perhaps the path out of darkness would be a little clearer.

She claps her hands together, making small clouds of dust around them. "But before we can do any of that, we need to get the chapel clean again. How long has it been, Father? And how nice would it be to make this place inspire those around us?"

She looks significantly at the scarred altar in front of her. The place would take some scrubbing, but some symbols of the struggle they all faced were needed.

"It can certainly be a symbol of redemption. Let me be the first to worship with you, Father, in this new chapel. Let us be the example to Barovia."

She gathered up a pile of debris and began walking toward the door, motioning the dawnpriest to do the same.

Mechanics

Action: Begin to tidy up the chapel.

Bonus Action:

Move Action: 

Item Interaction:

At the mention the party is moving away to confer, panic overtakes Doru immediately. "No, wait, PLEASE! COME BACK! I NEED IT, I'M SO HUNGRY, I'LL DO WHATEVER YOU WANT! JUST COME BACK! DON'T LET HIM LEAVE ME DOWN HERE! FATHER!"

Desperation is not a good look for someone supposedly of his own free will. Bram becomes quite certain: he is still enslaved to Strahd's will, no matter his feelings.

Nearby, Giselle and Bramzoz speak with Father Donavich, whose nerves seem to return to frayed terror for a moment before relaxing, spying the whispered tones of Tamu with Ismark, Ireena, and the others. "Y-yes... the community. My job, first and foremost, is to foster my community, no matter how little faith they have. Meet them where they are, show them the light. And how can I do that when my church and my home look like the emptied husk of my heart? Let us begin. Let us clean, Sister."

Ismark and Ireena sigh, unsure of what to do. "It is a gamble, truth be told. If we leave him, there's a good chance he's a thrall of Strahd and could kill with abandon while we're gone." Ireena nods. "But are we not judged by our actions if we put him down now? What if we find a cure, a way to sate his thirst and break whatever bonds connect him and the Devil in the meantime?" Ismark sighs, looking at Tamu and Joliet. "Which gamble are you willing to take, sister?"

She does not reply, and the question falls to Joliet and Tamu and anyone else willing to answer it.

The church is cleared of broken wood, all moved to one side which will be used for kindling and potential small projects. There is surprisingly little space, but repairs must be done to the floor. Can they be done with Doru in the basement? Who can say? As hours pass and the dark of morn begins to face tinges of blue, the howling of wolves returns, this time closer, and this time the whole of a pack appears.

Donavich looks out the window, steeling himself. "His servants are close. We cannot delay if we aim to bury the Burgomaster at dawn. We must begin the ceremony. Sister, can your friend protect us while we go through the last rites?"

Below, Doru moves wildly, sounding awful close on the bottom of the floor. "MASTER! MASTER! I AM HERE! PLEASE!"

Quick Stats

Sulimann.png.07baf15c9c03c015ef32d0ddf8a8e3f7.pngHP:   24/24

AC:   15

Init:  -1

Spell Slots: L1 - 4/4; L2 - 2/2

Spells: Heroism [D], Sanctuary [D], Aid [D], Warding Bond [D], Cure Wounds, Guiding Bolt, Protection from Good/Evil, Shield of Faith, Calm Emotions, Prayer of Healing

Conditions:

No Time to Waver

"If we leave this man and he kills while we are away, we consign countless souls." Sulimann does not wish to think on how many this creature could kill if unbound and unconfronted. This entire town could easily fall beneath his fangs. "If we kill him and later learn of a cure, we consign only Doru to release from his curse and ourselves to guilt." Doru stood against evil in his life, he has no doubt earned a place in the after among his lord of light. The creature beneath them now is not the man he once was and conflating the two makes this choice harder than it needs to be. "There is no question there. Doru fought against Strahd in his life, he should not be made to serve him in death. Let him die with the memory of being a good man." It is the only viable response. One could not leave a town knowing a ravenous monster lurked beneath it and still consider themselves on the side of good. The fact that this monster bears a man's face does not change the facts.

"We must see these burials done." The tiefling moves to the door and stares out at the gloom beyond. They could stand in defense of the priest while he does his work, to be sure, but it would be easier done without the threat of a released Doru on their mind. "I will watch over those performing the ceremony." It seems a task for which he is uniquely suited, and he summons hope that Eldath will see him through it.

OOC Info

N/A

Edited by DoNotFearToTread (see edit history)

Flyby

Keen Hearing and Sight

Features

IC

Bram became steadily more certain that Doru was Strahd's, through and through. And while he would prefer to see what effect, if any, killing Strahd might do to Doru's freedom, Bram had to admit the others were right. The risk was too great.

Bram's stomach tightened into knots, thinking about what they must do. He would help, of course, but he feared what this event might do to him, how it might change him. It was a gruesome task, a cruel task, one that weigh heavily on his soul. Bram cursed Strahd for putting him in this position.

Resigned as he was to this course of action, he was of two minds when it came to Joliet's idea. On the one side, Bram rarely passed up an opportunity to learn, especially about a subject as intriguing as this one. On the other hand, finding Doru's weaknesses sounded like poorly disguised language which really meant torture.

"I concede the point," Bram said, having made up his mind. Whether or not his opinion mattered was beside the point; he had to at least make his voice be heard. "I agree that we can not risk a thrall of Strahd's being loose in the village. I will help destroy this monstrous form of his so that he may be remembered as he was: a brave, albeit failed, liberator. But I do not think we should waste time on trying to find his every weakness. For one, I don't believe he deserves it. Better to free what's left of his soul cleanly and swiftly. Secondly, I don't believe we have time to experiment, not with Strahd's servants calling so closely from outside."

Bram stood by to assist in any matter that needed doing. Whether it was putting down Doru, or helping bury the dead, he was ready and willing.

OOC

Dynaheir-Minscthara-02-375x500DYNAHEIR | HP 32/32 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12 | Rages Remaining 3

Dyna, who has stayed unusually quiet during this debate about what to do with Doru, gives a decisive nod when both Sulimann and Bram throw their support behind the idea of dealing with Doru before he can break loose and harm others.

"If Doru was a hero, he would rather have died one than become a monster. I know I would." She moves to stand beside the others who have voted to end the man's suffering. "It is cruel and heartless, what we must do. But the truly cruel and heartless one is the man who forced this choice upon us. When we tear his castle down and firmly apply boots to his wretched backside, Doru's name will be on my lips. And perhaps written on my footwear."

RVskL6u.jpgchecked-shield.svgAC: 13 | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Languages: Common, Celestial, Elvish, Infernal

Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Current Conditions: None

Tamu's lips became a thin line. She saw the direction the group's thinking was going and silently agreed with the path. Like Bram, she stepped away from Joliet and Dynaheir, both of whom seemed more than prepared to face whatever monster Doru had become. Part of her wanted to retreat to the furthest corner of the rundown parish or even withdraw into the exterior to avoid the unpleasant but necessary event unfolding. But a chiding cry from Nuhza stayed her pace. Instead, she moved to where she could still see the doorway of the side room and the two warriors girding themselves. Her hand dropped to her rapier in anticipation.

The voices around her grew louder, more insistent. Now is not the time. I must concentrate. But the clamor continued. Fine. I will hear one of you. Come forth and speak. The air around Tamu grew cold, evidenced by the visible steam as she breathed. She reached out with her free hand, fingers outspread, and after a moment...something small seemed to grasp at her one finger.

Tamu could hear the soft, frightened voice, someone who had tried to flee the horrors they saw only to fail and fall. She gripped the ethereal hand gently, keeping the presence close by. Worry not, dear one. I am glad you called to me. Perhaps you will be able to aid us.

Tabletop

Move: Shift position to one of the two squares just inside the hall from the main church.

Bonus Action: Expend a Bardic Inspiration to use her Tales from Beyond feature, summoning a spirit to stand at the ready.

Action: Ready. She will cast toll the dead on Doru if he emerges into the hallway (presuming combat).

Edited by Lonewalker (see edit history)
Name
Spirit Tales
1d6 4