Chapter 2: The Village of Barovia

Gregorotto

Giselle Kelyre, "the Drowned"    (Half-Elven Paladin of Conquest 3)Giselle

AC: 18 |  HP: 21/21 |  Passive Perception: 11 | Features | Conditions: None

Spells: ○ ○ ○ (1st) Lay On Hands: 15 / 15

Giselle's eyes brimmed with tears at the tale Tamu told. Her own childhood was a mystery to her, but some of her fondest memories in Daggerford were the times when Luc Sunbright held his sunrise classes for the local children. She assisted with the lessons, and sat with nearly as much wonder on her face at Sunbright's stories as the pupils.

She cleared her throat. "Indeed, Shazzar has only been with us a short while, but he has proven trustworthy. Mayhap he has changed, or learned from what he did to you and yours. We should go see him? He was with you, Sulimann, in the graveyard outside the Temple of Lathander, no?"

Mechanics

Action:

Bonus Action:

Move Action: 

Item Interaction:

RVskL6u.jpgTamu Zidon

checked-shield.svgAC: 13 | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Languages: Common, Celestial, Elvish, Infernal

Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Current Conditions: None

As it became obvious that her father was not with the group and perhaps had fled once more to parts unknown to the small band, Tamu began to lose some her anxiety and urgency - but also some of her energy. She hung her head, certain that she could hear Nuzha weeping behind her. She felt her own traitorous tears start to push into the corners of her eyes, but she contemptuously squeezed them back inside, along with the grief and sorrow she that tried to claw their way up from the pit of her stomach. She let go of Dynaheir's hands and turned away from the group.

"If you thought well of my father, then I'm sorry to tell you that you were deceived. He is not what you think. He is selfish, thinking nothing of his wife and children - only of his precious work. He never contacted us all the years he was in Candlekeep, never noticed when mother died. When he did return, he saw the state my sister and I were in - and then fled again. He didn't stay to help us - didn't try to make up for the time he had wasted. He just...left."

Tamu hugged her arms around herself, as though chilled. She registered the compassion and sympathy in the words of these strangers - she acknowledged and appreciated them. But they thought they knew her father - when they knew nothing about his true nature. She had seen it for herself, and her sister had died because he wanted to run away rather than stay with them. The pain and anger remained - but Tamu forced it down again. She was realizing that she was distracting this group from their purpose, the call of her hosts - who needed them for their own troubles. She had to rein her own frustration in for now.

"Look, I want to talk more about where my father might have gone and what you know and don't know - but Ireena and Ismark are needing your aid more immediately. They have their own story, and I've distracted you enough as it is." Tamu looked apologetically at Ireena, the last of her vigor draining from her.

"Please, Ireena, tell your tale. Mine...mine can wait."

Dynaheir-Minscthara-02-375x500DYNAHEIR | HP 32/32 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12 | Rages Remaining 3

Dynaheir considers Tamu's harsh words about her father. This does not sound like the man I know. However, Shazzar has also walked Faerun considerably longer than Dyna has, and she knows that people change with time, and that even the most wicked hearts can be redeemed. After all, hadn't Sarevok himself, the great villain of Baldur's Gate, fought alongside the Bhaalspawn and her great-great-great granduncle to stop Bhaal's return?

Well, perhaps he didn't. There were many different stories, after all, but Dyna had always liked that version.

In any case, it's not her place to tell Zamu what to think about her father. She can only hope to find Shazzar and reunite these two so that they can better come to understand each other and, perhaps, with time, reconcile. She turns her attention to their primary hosts, waiting to hear what heroics are needed of her.

Quick Stats

Sulimann.png.07baf15c9c03c015ef32d0ddf8a8e3f7.pngHP:   24/24

AC:   15

Init:  -1

PP:   13

Spell Slots: L1 - 4/4; L2 - 2/2

Spells: Heroism [D], Sanctuary [D], Aid [D], Warding Bond [D], Cure Wounds, Guiding Bolt, Protection from Good/Evil, Shield of Faith, Calm Emotions, Prayer of Healing

Conditions:

Issues of the Daddy Variety

Papa was a rolling stone. Wherever he laid his hat was his home. And when he died, all he left us was alone.

Some troubadour or minstrel had sung those words at an inn back in the Dalelands. They stuck with Sulimann, and not simply because the tune was catchy. Having never known his parents, the tiefling found the concept of familial dissent hard to relate with. He'd grown up in slaves quarters and fighting pits, each person around him a potential threat to position and the masters' favor. Even after he'd freed himself from the life and begun his crusade of liberation across Thay, alliances were only as good as the reward they offered. No stranger to betrayal, trust was absolutely the most difficult of Eldath's lessons for him to take to heart. It was why he most often travelled alone, and why he found himself still on edge among a group who'd shown him no reason not to trust them.

"From what I gathered of the man, your father is a survivor. I have no doubt you will meet with him and have your reckoning." There is not much more for him to add, and his apprehension as not knowing why they are in this house rather than seeking out further details on this prince on the hill only serves to inspire fewer words from him. Something gnaws at him, and he soon realizes it is his gut. Hard tack and salted meat does not a meal make.

"I believe there was mention of food?"

OOC Info

N/A

The path of the hat is utterly impressive and lands, ringing around the peg, before resting; Ireena's face lights up. At Sulimann's mention of the end of tyranny in Barovia, Ireena's face changes to one of hungry collaboration: she longs for this conversation.

Yet when comes the revelation that Belshazzar Zidon was with these people, Ireena's face sours: she knows Tamu's own lack of love for her father bordering on obsession, and wonders, almost aloud, if this reflects poorly on these newcomers from the place called Daggerford that they traveled with such a man. Fortunately, Joliet and Bram answer enough: that they didn't know that he was an absentee and neglectful parent, and that they either empathized from their own experience or sympathized. Giselle offers a tale of redemption, but Tamu will not hear of it. She requests Ireena free her of the burden of telling her tale, and as Sulimann mentions food, a voice comes from above.

"Indeed there were, and my sister is a terrible host if she has not already started making it. Come, friends: let us make for the kitchen where we can discuss, and I can show how much better a cook I am than Ireena." Ismark emerges, vestless and only in his tunic, smiling at Giselle, Dynaheir, and Joliet. "I had worried you would not come."

Ireena huffs. "We'll see who is the better cook when I beat your head in with a pan."

Ismark rolls his eyes, then stops. "Did you tell them?"

Ireena seems confused, then shakes her head.

Ismark nods, then moves to the dining area, inviting them in. The boots, still sitting sideways on the table, do not move. Ireena slides a door open, revealing a body lying on the table. He looks like Ismark, his chin set in stone, his bulk now bolstered by flesh that sits sallow and still; his massive hands sit over his head, one hand clutching as if trying to pry the skin away to get to the organ. Eyes are closed, but unnaturally so: as if effort was put into it.

"I did not reveal the whole of our plight in the inn, because it is not public knowledge. We do not know who we can trust, beyond who is in this room." He gives Tamu a look and a nod. "Of late, our home has come under assault from the lord of the land, Strahd von Zarovich. His minions—the wolves, the undead, and worse—have marched on our home, scratching and clawing, trying to get at something. My father, never a friend to Strahd but a diligent burgomaster, held as long as he could, but he saw something... something that shook him. His heart gave out, and he perished." He sighs. "I am now the burgomaster of Barovia." Ireena comes to her brother and holds his arm reassuringly.

She considers, then picks up where he left off. "Papa saw what Strahd was coming for: for me. He was outside my window while I slept, levitating me to him with magic. He came and pulled me back, waking me in the process and denying me to Strahd: but his heart gave out in fear. Strahd watched as Papa died in my arms, and I swore revenge." Tears form on her eyes. She carries on, as Ismark's pale hand finds her dark one. "I do not know what Strahd wants with me. But I know I am not safe here. Previous homes have been burned to the ground by the minions of the lord of this land, and if the rumors are to be believed, by Strahd himself. He is undead, they say, a vampire. And I fear that is what he wants with me. So, I am not safe here."

Ismark takes over. "We are not cowards: we would stand and fight, but we are not foolish. We know a losing battle when we see one. My sister is not safe here, but she may fare better in the other towns of Barovia: Vallaki, or in Krezk. Both lie west of here, past Castle Ravenloft. I have invited you here for two reasons: to help me protect my sister, and to help me rid this land of the sickness that is Strahd von Zarovich. We cannot do it alone. You, as outlanders, are free of his taint: we ask your help, all of you." He looks to Tamu once more. "Help us free Barovia and destroy Strahd."

Ireena has a final request. "I will not leave town until my father is properly buried, per the customs of our people. At dawn, we must bury my father: will you help us and bear him to the cemetery?"

Ismark then goes on a tangent: "Shall we have ham, or poultry?"

bramtoke.png.9dfccc21ea93a65b3fda4f82615969f5.pngBramzoz Nannin

HP:   20/20

AC:   12Natural, unarmored, no mage armor or shield./15Mage armor, no shield spell./17Natural, unarmored, with the shield spell. /20Mage Armor, with Shield Spell

Init:  +2

Speed:  30

Spell Slots: 4/4lvl1, 2/2lvl2

Arcane Recovery:  1/1

Portent Dice:  15/1

Snipssnipstoke.png.504941c5eb410641aac7c36772f2ca50.png

HP:   1/1

AC:   11

Init:  +1

Speed:  5 ft. , fly 30 ft.

FlybyThe owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.

Keen Hearing and SightThe owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.

Features

Class Features:  SpellcastingAs a student of arcane magic, you have a spellbook containing spells that show the first glimmerings of your true power. See Spells Rules for the general rules of spellcasting and the Spells Listing for the wizard spell list.

Cantrips
At 1st level, you know three cantrips of your choice from the wizard spell list. You learn additional wizard cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Wizard table.

Spellbook
At 1st level, you have a spellbook containing six 1st-level wizard spells of your choice. Your spellbook is the repository of the wizard spells you know, except your cantrips, which are fixed in your mind.

Preparing and Casting Spells
The Wizard table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your wizard spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

You prepare the list of wizard spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of wizard spells from your spellbook equal to your Intelligence modifier + your wizard level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

For example, if you’re a 3rd-level wizard, you have four 1st-level and two 2nd-level spell slots. With an Intelligence of 16, your list of prepared spells can include six spells of 1st or 2nd level, in any combination, chosen from your spellbook. If you prepare the 1st-level spell magic missile, you can cast it using a 1st-level or a 2nd-level slot. Casting the spell doesn’t remove it from your list of prepared spells.

You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of wizard spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Spellcasting Ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your wizard spells, since you learn your spells through dedicated study and memorization. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a wizard spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Ritual Casting
You can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.

Spellcasting Focus
You can use an arcane focus (see the Adventuring Gear section) as a spellcasting focus for your wizard spells.

Learning Spells of 1st Level and Higher
Each time you gain a wizard level, you can add two wizard spells of your choice to your spellbook for free. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Wizard table. On your adventures, you might find other spells that you can add to your spellbook (see the “Your Spellbook” sidebar).
, Arcane RecoveryYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
, Arcane Tradition: DivinationWhen you reach 2nd level, you choose an arcane tradition, shaping your practice of magic through one of eight schools: Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, or Transmutation. The School of Evocation is detailed at the end of the class description, and more choices are available in other sources.

Your choice grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.
, Divination SavantBeginning when you select this school at 2nd level, the gold and time you must spend to copy a divination spell into your spellbook is halved., PortentStarting at 2nd level when you choose this school, glimpses of the future begin to press in on your awareness. When you finish a long rest, roll two d20s and record the numbers rolled. You can replace any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by you or a creature that you can see with one of these foretelling rolls. You must choose to do so before the roll, and you can replace a roll in this way only once per turn.

Each foretelling roll can be used only once. When you finish a long rest, you lose any unused foretelling rolls.

Languages:  Celestial, Common, Elvish, Infernal

Weapons & Armors:  Crossbow, Light, Dagger, Dart, Quarterstaff, Sling, no armor

Feats:  WarcasterYou have practiced casting spells in the midst of combat, learning techniques that grant you the following benefits:

You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

Racial & Background:  ResearcherWhen you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

IC

The discussion of Shazzar flagged as Ismael made his entrance, then was soon dwarfed by the significance of the revelations that were revealed. Strahd a vampire? And seeking out Ismark's sister? Bram wondered if this was a similar situation to what had happened to Mad Mary and her daughter. Regardless, Bram heard this sad tale and couldn't help but feel pulled in. He saw in his mind's eye, his eye of foresight, a glorious vision of himself, triumphant with a booted foot resting on the back of the cast down and broken body of the tyrant, and the people of Barovia showering him with adoration and promises of rewards and payment. The lust for gold was not an affliction that Bram suffered from, but who knew what sort of knowledge and information a vampire lord might horde in his vaults? The vision was intoxicating and hard to dismiss, but it had done its work on Bram's psyche.

"It was fate that brought me here at the same time as these other heroes," Bram said with lofty superiority in his voice. "I do not doubt it any longer. I believe the reason I am here is to help in this task. The longer I am here, the more I realize that Barovia is sick and festering. The poison needs to be drawn out, the rot carefully excised. I assume you have specific ideas on how we might help? After interring your beloved father, which of course I will help with."

OOC

Move:  n/a

Action:  n/a

Bonus Action: n/a

Item Interaction:  n/a

Reaction:  n/a

image.png.96665b6a5ba89c3b8a3da17040db17df.pngJoliet

HP:   30/30

AC:   14

Init:  +3

Ammo:  6/6

Action Surge:  1/1

Second Wind:  1/1

Fighting Spirit: 3/3

Condition:  Normal

Features

Class Features:  Action SurgeSecond WindFighting Style - Archery, Fighting Spirit

Tools:  Thieves' Tools, Playing Cards

Languages:  Common, Paridon Creole

Weapons & Armors:  All Weapons, All Armors, Shields

Feats:  Gunner

Racial & Background:  Ear to the Ground

IC

"A vampire, ya say? Vampire..." Joliet repeats. "Those them stories with the suckin' of blood, or the howlin' at the moon? Where I come from, most these things is just stories. Aside from the skinchangers, that is. But since I got myself lost, I'm comin' to learn a whole heap of what I heard to be stories is actually true, if you look in the right places. Guess we're in the right place, yeah?

"Well, we've got the edge already, on account of us knowin' what this Strahd bloke wants. Two girls of note, already. Be curious to know of more, which may get at the reasons why. Cuz the more we know of him, and the less he knows of us, the greater our advantage, yeah?"
she says with a wicked grin.

"So what do you, Ireena, and Mary's daughter Gertruda, have in common? Or does our big bad simply get heated in the trousers for any young thing? Who knows, maybe he'll come for you, Dyna, or you, Giselle, or me. Maybe he'll get fresh with us." The way Joliet says this, she sounds almost eager to see him try, with any of them.

"The more you can tell us about the target, the better we'll be able to outfox him. That'll start by sneakin' Ireena here out of town in such a way he won't suspect. And it'll end with him bein' filled full of daylight, in ways he can't imagine." She flips open her battered little notebook and finds a fresh page, where she readies to jot down any and all details Ireena and Ismark have to share on their quarry.

OOC

AoO: n/a

Action Surge:  n/a

Bonus Action:  n/a

Quick Stats

Spells: Heroism [D], Sanctuary [D], Aid [D], Warding Bond [D], Cure Wounds, Guiding Bolt, Protection from Good/Evil, Shield of Faith, Calm Emotions, Prayer of Healing

Conditions:

Dead and Buried, Soon Enough

"We have one of our own to see buried so this isn't out of our way. The priest is holding him until the proper time." Sulimann finds nothing about this story to be absurd. Undead were a common enough problem in Thay and intelligent, malevolent undead were certainly counted among them. Still, one powerful enough to lay claim to this whole land must have an army or great power at his disposal and that is cause for great concern. Shifting in the chair, which groans in protest, the priest leans forward and braces his elbows on his knees. "The priest also spoke of this place. Vallaki. I had a mind to travel there myself already. It does seem we're moving along the same path regardless and I don't see a reason to not move along it together." The question of food once again brings focus to his growling stomach and he shifts to look at Ismark.

"When the meat is fresh, I do have a preference for ham." As Joliet lists off her mental notations on the issue, he finds comfort once again in the presence of someone with a keen mind for this sort of thing. Being no investigator, Sulimann would struggle greatly at putting the pieces together on his own. "It could be there is something connecting them that we don't yet see. And I'll do my best to not take offense at being left off your list of potential suitors for the vampire prince." A huff of breath from deep in his chest. A laugh? One might even think he just told a joke.

OOC Info

N/A

Giselle Kelyre, "the Drowned"    (Half-Elven Paladin of Conquest 3)Giselle

AC: 18 |  HP: 21/21 |  Passive Perception: 11 | Features | Conditions: None

Spells: ○ ○ ○ (1st) Lay On Hands: 15 / 15

This. This was... untenable. Unimaginable.

An entire land, dominated by a vampire.  Undead, undeath. One cannot grow when undead, one stays still. Ever in stasis. Ever frozen. By grief, by hatred, by unrequited love. By hunger.  But one of the few beings that great Lathander hates above all else is the undead, for they cannot be redeemed. And the vampire is the worst of them.

And this vampire? This one seemed the worst of the rest. An entire land, dominated by a vampire.   Kidnapping young women. Did his taste tend even younger? Who knew? But Giselle knew, knew in her heart, knew in her being... that this one should burn. This one must be defeated, incinerated by holy, righteous wrath. Again, Lathander is a god of peace, beauty, art, and hope. Except when it comes to vampires.

An entire land, dominated by one unchanging and eternal. A place of shadows and mists, where things were not always what they seemed. Why does that sound so familiar?

Her eyes, usually wet with unfallen tears, hardened like ice. Her lips, usually moist and slightly trembling, hardened into a thin line. She stood, erect, a straight line, staring intensely at Ireena. "Do you know why he wants you so? What he might want with other young women?"  She takes a glance at Joliet and Dynaheir. "He is about to learn that women can take care of themselves. And have wrath like few have seen."  She spares a small nod to Bram and Sulimann. "When supported by men who understand, of course."

She nodded at Bram's words, and Ismark's. "I think we are here to right this wrong. I think we can make a difference, as outsiders, to do the right thing. We have already set ourselves in opposition to the good Count. It is now a matter of finishing the job."

Giselle smiled grimly at some of Joliet's imagery. "Let him try to get 'fresh' with us, eh Joliet? You have your ways of defending yourself, as do you my friend Dynaheir. Me, too. I can fill him full of daylight, oh yes.

"By the grace of the Morninglord, I will fill him with daylight."

Mechanics

Action:

Bonus Action:

Move Action: 

Item Interaction:

Dynaheir-Minscthara-02-375x500DYNAHEIR | HP 32/32 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12 | Rages Remaining 3

Dynaheir steps forward, unsheathes her greatsword, and rests it point-down against the floor. "What else is there to say? We are heroes, and this Strahd--cursed though he might be--is a villain. And vampires? My ancestor, Minsc the Brave, slayed many vampires during his adventures. Powerful though they may be, they can be vanquished."

She looks around the room, eyeing her companions, nodding at each of them in turn. This is why they were brought here, after all. This is the great quest she was hoping to find to fulfill her dajemma. She's frightened, of course. How could she not be? The vampires in the stories told of her great-great-great uncle were deadly and cunning foes who could manipulate even the mightiest heroes into betraying their comrades. It would be a far greater challenge than any Dyna had faced in her journey from Rashemen.

But what is a hero if not someone who chooses to stand against the darkness, even when they do not know if they can overcome it?

Finally, she turns her attention back to Ireena and Ismark. "My strength, my sword, and my boots are yours, and I shall apply all of them to evil's backside. Make way, villainy; heroes coming through!"

She lifts her sword, raises it as high as the ceiling will allow, and then sheathes it once more across her back. She stands there for a while, her thumbs tucked into her belt, before remembering that Ireena asked everyone a question. "Oh, yes. And chicken, please."

Ismark considers the requests of ham and chicken. Ireena shrugs. "If we're leaving, we can't leave it to fester. The pantry is cool, but not that cool."

Ismark nods in agreement. The duo begins cooking as the conversation churns onward, with promises of what is to come.

First comes the obvious question: why Ireena? The comparison to Gertruda draws anxiety to her brow. "What about Gertruda? Is she missing too?" Ismark sighs, salting the ham and warming the glaze for it. "Two weeks hence, sister. She went missing. Mary has been wailing ever since. She says she was taken by Strahd, but... it could just as soon have been anything. Anyone." Ireena rolls her eyes. "You know better, brother. Strahd takes what he wants—whom he wants. Any man, any woman, who remotely peaks his interest. It does not even have to be a carnal interest—perhaps you are an excellent carpenter, or a promising mage. The only thing in common is that he takes these souls, and to Castle Ravenloft they go, never to return. There are rumors of what he does there, but why would any living soul know it?"

Ismark grunts, moving the ham into the oven and then moving to the chicken, a plethora of vegetables ready for the attack. "I can think of a few dead souls who might."

Ireena glares at him. He shrugs, then continues. "To your question: Gertruda was beautiful, the one time I saw her. I say that objectively, not as... gods, she's barely older than a child. Arguably, the same can be said of my sister, lacking any of our family's charm." Ireena smiles. "I get my swarthy tone from my grandmother, Papa told us." Ismark's face looks doubtful, but Ireena does not. Does he know something she doesn't? "Whatever Strahd's interest in Ireena, it is not a good interest."

Ireena moves to the next question. "How do you destroy an evil as entrenched as the land itself? It is a terrible question: I do not know how to answer it. Strahd has many servants, the birds and the beasts and many things more unsavory. I am one to rush into things, so storming Ravenloft seems wise."

Ismark scoffs. "That's what outsiders always do, sister. And they always fail. Recall that mage, one year ago." Her face scrunches up, admitting defeat.

The food comes out: cheeses and roasted vegetables, a glazed ham and cooked chicken. The feast is fanciful, the finest they've had, but it is lacking compared to Daggerford: as if the chicken were not thick enough, the ham underfed and fed poorly at that, the vegetables miniscule, the cheese slightly too bland. It is well cooked, so it is not the skill of the cook, but the resources available to them. They eat in the kitchen, away from the body of Kolyan Indirovich. Conversation remains light, despite the serious nature of things, with Ireena the more headstrong, Ismark the more thoughtful. When they are finished, night has fallen completely and the moon rises.

"We should arrive before midnight. The servants of Strahd are worst at the witching hour. If you do not mind, friends... will you help me carry my father's body?" Ismark looks to Joliet, to Giselle, and finally to Dynaheir. If they agree, Ismark goes into a side room and brings in a coffin, simple but widely made for the man's wide torso. Ismark and Ireena are gentle in placing him in the coffin, Ireena's eyes wet as she garnishes the man and puts fresh herbs around his head, things for smell as much as superstition. She kisses the gray, waxy skin of her father, and Ismark, his face distant, looks away. "Let us go."

Whoever helps notes the coffin carries the weight well, and entering into the cool night air, Barovia is mostly dark save the distant tavern down the street and the lights of the Church of the Morninglord. Ravenloft looms just west of the moon, and they move quickily through the cool air, a mist dancing at their feet until they reach the unpaved street of the village. "Mad" Mary continues to weep. As they pass the town square, an old woman approaches, hunched over and walking with a limp; behind her is a stand, open and completely decked with pies.

"Can I interest any of you dearies with my wonderful dream pies? Meats like you've never had, and such dreams, too!" They smell heavenly.

Despite this, from the church they hear a kind of howling, hoarse and terrible: but not the voice of Father Donavich.

spacer.pngTamu Zidon

checked-shield.svgAC: 13 | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Languages: Common, Celestial, Elvish, Infernal

Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Current Conditions: None

Tamu stood a few paces behind the procession, walking alongside Ireena while Ismark and the others hauled the coffin toward the church. She had already agreed to accompany the siblings to lay their father to rest, so she kept to that promise - even though the evenings in this strange land were worse than what passed for day. The cries, the moans, the wails, the sobs...they were all the more intense under the pale moonlight of Barovia. Tamu, as always, tried to shut out the noise - to the point, she could barely tell what were voices from beyond and what were the calls of the living. She felt her sister close to her, sensed her strong desire to help the people of Barovia. The thought of facing an undead, soul-stealing lord made Tamu nauseous. It's not our concern, she had tried to tell Nuhza, It's not even our home. But Nuhza would keep insisting: No one would help us when we needed rescuing. Would you prefer to abandon them as Father abandoned us?

So now here she was with this odd group and haunted siblings, knowing she had been so close to finding their father only to miss him. But she couldn't pursue without feeling like the same sort of person she hated about him. There were cries and shrieks around her but she still struggled to tell the living from the dead. But to the old vendor woman, she registered her reality and gave her a tired smile and a shake of head.

"Perhaps another time, thank you. We are busy with a task as yet - and I, for one, have dreams a plenty right now."

Quick Stats

Conditions:

Pies and Processions

"Every effort is a failure until it meets with success." The comment is directed on the heels of Ismark's own regarding foreigners and failure. Sulimann should feel no kinship with the nameless, faceless strangers who came before on the same task his group had found themselves on, but something about the man's certainty in his words heats the tiefling's blood. "You can rest assured that we will not be underestimating this cursed prince of yours." He allows the others to take place as pallbearers, stepping in only if a spot remains untended. He'd attended surprisingly few funerals for a man who lived with so much death. Pit fighters and slaves warranted no such ceremony, and those who died in the service of liberation rarely left a retrievable corpse behind. Still, he can march in silence with eyes downcast as well as the next person.

"Who is this now?" The pie hawker takes him by surprise, and he isn't able to hide that fact as he stares, then blinks, then shifts his eyes around the faces of the others to see if they find it as odd. He turns to look at Ismark or Ireena, whichever of the siblings happens to be closest. "Do you know this woman?" In truth, a meat pie sounds like just the thing but sold by a strange witch woman in the town square at night? That's the thing dark tales are made of.

OOC Info

N/A

image.png.96665b6a5ba89c3b8a3da17040db17df.pngJoliet

HP:   30/30

AC:   14

Init:  +3

Ammo:  6/6

Action Surge:  1/1

Second Wind:  1/1

Fighting Spirit: 3/3

Condition:  Normal

Features

Class Features:  Action SurgeSecond WindFighting Style - Archery, Fighting Spirit

Tools:  Thieves' Tools, Playing Cards

Languages:  Common, Paridon Creole

Weapons & Armors:  All Weapons, All Armors, Shields

Feats:  Gunner

Racial & Background:  Ear to the Ground

IC

Joliet defers to those of sturdier build when it comes time to bear the dead man to the church. She snags her hat from its peg by the entrance and takes the lead out into the night. She whistles as they walk, and even considers breaking into song. "People round these parts sing out their dead? There're some back in Paridon who'd make an event of it. All manner of singin' or hollerin', as if the dead might just hear the celebration if they're loud enough. Can't say I've ever partaken in such an event, and surely don't know the songs. But if there's such a song for your old man, maybe you could hum a few bars, yeah? Do my best to pick it up."

Later, when they run into the pie vendor, Joliet catches Sulimann's eye and raises an eyebrow that says she smells manure as well. Hand casually draped across the butt of her revolver, she leans in to give the pies and the woman a sniff. "Must needs get up mighty early to be bakin' so many pies and set up shop before dawn. Or are we lookin' at yesterday's batch?" She watches the lady with a wary eye.

OOC

AoO: n/a

Action Surge:  n/a

Bonus Action:  n/a

Name
Insight
1d20+4 18

Dynaheir readily volunteers to serve as a pall bearer, taking as much of the weight as she can onto herself to spare her companions. She walks in thoughtful silence, watching for threats and pondering over everything they learned about the situation here in Barovia and the villainous nature of this cursed prince, Strahd.

When the strange old woman approaches them, she eyes her offered pies skeptically. While Rashemi revere wychlaren, there are no shortage of tales of young, would-be heroes being led to their doom by wicked creatures posing as such. Given where they are now and the situation they face, the old woman's proferred pies seem immediately suspect.

The howling from the church pulls Dyna's attention away from the woman. "This is no time for baked goods! Those howls may be the sinister baying of our enemies! Onward!"

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)