Chapter 2: The Village of Barovia

Gregorotto

Giselle Kelyre, "the Drowned"    (Half-Elven Paladin of Conquest 3)Giselle

AC: 18 |  HP: 21/21 |  Passive Perception: 11 | Features | Conditions: None

Spells: ○ ○ ○ (1st) Lay On Hands: 15 / 15

The pathos of the situation nearly broke Giselle's heart, and brought tears to her eyes. This man of the light, shrouded in such darkness by his own hand.

"Father. Come with me. Let the others talk to Doru. I think... I am no priest of the Dawn God, but perhaps I could hear your confession. We must talk; you have strayed too far into darkness. I know something of this, and I would share my tale with you.

"But you must stop thinking you walk this path alone. You bear burdens. Lay them down with me. We are both haunted by the past; let us find our way back to the beautiful dawn together.

"I can only imagine what it must have been like, conducting the rites for the people of this village knowing what secrets you keep. I say again, lay down your burden. I cannot bring you absolution, but perhaps together we can find the path to redemption."

Giselle nodded to the others, widening her eyes, imploring them to use the opportunity while she distracted the priest. It was no lie, she truly did want to share this time with one she felt was a good man put in an impossible situation. But he still had not looked at himself from an external perspective. He hadn't realized what evil he'd done.

She was making herself vulnerable, to benefit others. So unlike her. Was this growth? Perhaps the words she was saying to the priest echoed a little too loudly in her own ears.

Mechanics

Action: Persuade the priest to come with her. Pay no attention to those adventurers behind the curtain.

Bonus Action:

Move Action: 

Item Interaction:

Name
Persuasion
1d20+5 11

Dynaheir-Minscthara-02-375x500DYNAHEIR | HP 32/32 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12 | Rages Remaining 3

Dynaheir eyes Giselle and the priest, watching to see if the man will let himself be dragged away. She turns to the rest of her companions and watches to see what they decide to do with this opening. Dyna herself is conflicted; she realizes the danger that a rogue vampire could pose to Father Donavich and this community as a whole. On the other hand, butchering what was left of the priest's son just to prevent greater tragedy would be a far colder decision than Dyna was comfortable making. She feels that it's better to leave it to the others how to handle the situation, because she can't see any path that leads to a happy ending.

RVskL6u.jpgTamu Zidon

checked-shield.svgAC: 13 | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Languages: Common, Celestial, Elvish, Infernal

Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Current Conditions: None

As Giselle moved to preoccupy the priest Donavich. Tamu shifted a bit closer to Ireena and Ismark. She was already a trifle unsettled just by being within the walls of the church, hearing echoes of chants and cries that should have faded ages ago. But her primary focus was on the door - from behind which came the maddened and terrifying shouts and curses of Donavich's son. One hand lay on the hilt of her rapier, the other on the shoulder bag where a small human skull lay hidden. She felt herself shiver - many were the restless spirits of this place.

When she spoke, she pitched her voice very low so as not to be overheard. "What would you hope to learn by talking to this Doru? Would anything he say be trustworthy? And is it wise to allow this man - well-meaning and broken-hearted he may be - to cage a monster within the environs of the town? How long before it gets free - or what happens if Father Donavich were to pass on? Surely this creature is too dangerous to be allowed to exist?"

Tamu seemed to be trying to convince herself - but she looked about the group, knowing that Giselle's distraction was unlikely to last long.

Donavich listens to Sulimann, nodding along with his agreeing that if they open that door, they will have to kill Doru: he's simply too dangerous. Tamu, seemingly, agrees, but thinks Doru is something of a timed artifice, ready to go off at a moment's notice and no one can predict when that is. Giselle, sensing a need for the others to converse and also a dire need in the soul of Father Donavich, leads the priest away to discuss things with him and allow him confession, a way to atone. In the faith of Lathander, this is not uncommon.

Donavich shakes, sitting on one of the benches and looking at the stained glass above his altar, sparse and weathered as it is. "I knew I couldn't keep him here forever. I knew one day something would take him from me. But the wizard... I had faith in him. He was so sure of himself. He came from a world, I do not recall the named. Urf or something like that. He had heard of Strahd, heard of him in tomes and said his friend had even met him. Who meets Strahd and lives to tell the tale? He could have been lying: but no, he had nothing to hide with me. I gave Doru my blessings. I knew if there was a chance, he would want to be a part of it. And so... and so they went. We had the perfect seat to see the battle, and we assumed the fight between the mage and Strahd must indicate how well the others were doing.... oh, what fools we all were. The Burgomaster and I whispered to one another our hopes, our fears... when we saw the hordes of undead swarming towards the battling mage and Strahd, we knew what had happened to the others, the small force that went with the archmage. If they were not captured, they were dead, or worse. At last, Strahd threw the mage down into the river, and we saw no more of him or the battle. And I wept. Oh, Morninglord, how I wept! For days I wept! Strahd's tax collectors were harder on us last year, to pay for 'repairs' to Castle Ravenloft. Told me that a new priest would be sent for if I so much as put an inch of my bulbous nose out of place. And so, despondent, I turned back to my flock: but no one would come to me. I entered a business, it would shut down. I entered the tavern, everyone left: everyone but the Burgomaster and his children. In time, I came to keep to myself... and not long after, he returned. But I realized immediately—I knew he was different. Thin, his hair dirty, his skin so... so pale. His clothes ripped, but no scars, no wounds. I told him... when I realized something was wrong, I told him to collect some goods for me in the basement... and I locked him in there. He fought me so hard, said such nasty things... but I couldn't let him! I couldn't let him destroy everything! And if anyone in the village knew.... I wonder, does Strahd know? Is this his version of 'justice?'"

He weeps loudly as the others discuss things.

Ismark agrees with Tamu. "It's too dangerous to let him live. As the new Burgomaster, I have to consider the lives of the villagers. Doru is a threat, regardless of what good he can tell us."

Ireena shakes her head. "Surely we can do something. How does one cure vampirism? Can you, even?"

Ismark sighs. "Even if they can, do you think Strahd would let that stand? Let a toy of his go to waste?"

Ireena looks at her brother irritably. "He was once a friend of ours, growing up. Does that mean nothing?"

"The boy we grew up with is dead. Whatever has replaced him is a puppet of the Devil that killed our father."

This stops Ireena in her tracks. She looks away, thoughtfully.

Ismark looks to the others. "We have no choice but to charge in and do what we can to kill Doru, if we cannot heal him. I doubt you can, but if you can, speak up. Otherwise...." He grabs the hilt of his sword, ready to draw.

bramtoke.png.9dfccc21ea93a65b3fda4f82615969f5.pngBramzoz Nannin

HP:   20/20

AC:   12/15/17/20

Init:  +2

PP:   13

Speed:  30

Spell Slots: 4/4lvl1, 2/2lvl2

Arcane Recovery:  1/1

Portent Dice:  15/1

Snipssnipstoke.png.504941c5eb410641aac7c36772f2ca50.png

HP:   1/1

AC:   11

Init:  +1

Speed:  5 ft. , fly 30 ft.

Flyby

Keen Hearing and Sight

Features

Class Features:  Spellcasting, Arcane Recovery, Arcane Tradition: Divination, Divination Savant, Portent

Languages:  Celestial, Common, Elvish, Infernal

Weapons & Armors:  Crossbow, Light, Dagger, Dart, Quarterstaff, Sling, no armor

Feats:  Warcaster

Racial & Background:  Researcher

IC

Bram listened to the arguments of the others, carefully weighing each of them, as he saw Giselle move away with the distraught priest. Slaying monsters was one thing, but to destroy the husk of a man's son before his eyes felt cruel. Bram thought Sulliman was correct that such a decision should not be taken lightly. Joliet also had a solid point. If they could learn something from the spawn somehow, it would be a boon in their endeavor. Unfortunately, Tamu and Ismark probably had the right of it. Best to take away a potential tool of their enemy than wait for disaster to strike. But could they even accomplish such a feat? A spawn of Strahd was likely powerful, and they had not prepared for such a fight. Luckily, as usually, there was always another option. It sometimes just took a clever mind to uncover it.

"His humanity is gone," Bram said, agreeing with Ismark. "But his fate is not completely sealed. When we are successful..." The others noted he did not say, "if." "...When Strahd is no more, Doru will no longer be a thrall. He will be his own master again. Still undead, but beholden to his own thoughts and desires. Does he deserve a chance to make a new life for himself, freed from his bonds of servitude? More over, could we trick him into telling us more about Strahd, if we make him think he is not betraying him? We could offer him some new blood, my blood, as a play for him to regain his strength to serve his master better, in exchange for some inconsequential information."

His thoughts shared, Bram still maintained a combat ready grip on his staff, prepared to assist the others if they decided to try to end the threat. He was not sure how such a fight would ultimately play out, but he knew in his heart he was destined for something more than being slain before his journey had even begun.

OOC

Move:  n/a

Action:  n/a

Bonus Action: n/a

Item Interaction:  n/a

Reaction:  n/a

Dynaheir-Minscthara-02-375x500DYNAHEIR | HP 32/32 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12 | Rages Remaining 3

Dynaheir shakes her head firmly at Bram's suggestion of offering Doru his blood. "Absolutely not! This is a terrible idea. I am much larger and have more blood to spare. If anyone should offer themselves as food, it is me."

She considers this for a moment longer, then adds: "But I do not think we should do this at all. Are we not going to these other places Ireena and Ismart spoke of? This could be a long journey to gather the resources and allies we will need to destroy Strahd. In the meantime, Doru could break loose at any time and harm many innocents. I am sorry, but I am with Ismark. It is a terrible thing we must do, but as he says: this thing is no longer Doru. It is a monster that wears his face. Many monsters are tricksy like this, but monsters they remain! Say the word, and I will lead this charge."

Quick Stats

Sulimann.png.07baf15c9c03c015ef32d0ddf8a8e3f7.pngHP:   24/24

AC:   15

Init:  -1

Spell Slots: L1 - 4/4; L2 - 2/2

Spells: Heroism [D], Sanctuary [D], Aid [D], Warding Bond [D], Cure Wounds, Guiding Bolt, Protection from Good/Evil, Shield of Faith, Calm Emotions, Prayer of Healing

Conditions:

Nothing More Tragic

"Enough." It isn't a shout, but it is stated louder than his previous efforts at speaking in this broken place. "We will not sit here and argue over who should be fed to a vampire, in bits or in whole." He levels his eyes on the others, his hand still planted firmly on the door in front of him. There is no sense in going round and round about this. There is, to his understanding, no known cure for the curse that befell this Doru and if there was it is far beyond any of them to see it done. Donovich's retelling is all the truth to the situation that Sulimann needs and his heart is heavy as he accepts it.

"This man's son set out to see Strahd defeated at great peril to himself. That alone makes this decision. Such a man would not want to live his life a slave to the thing he put everything into destroying." He looks to Ireena and Ismark, setting his eyes on the brother most intently. Such posturing, such ease with which he stands to claim a life. Has he ever done so before, or does he simply seek to seem strong before them. Referred anger, perhaps, at his own father's death at the hands of the devil Strahd. He takes a moment before he continues.

"Do not be so quick to draw that sword, son. Your words hold a conviction that your heart may not. If this man was your friend, you owe him the dignity of a proper death to be sure but you also owe him final words." The priest has to hope that there is some spark left inside Doru. It would be easier to think him a mindless servant of the vampire but the situation does not bear this out. "He came home when he could have stayed with Strahd, or wandered off to find easier prey. I believe he seeks the peace of death even if his thoughts won't allow him to believe it." He weighs the options and the danger it presents. There is a way to speak with the man, though not one without risk.

"Eldath will allow me to ward some against the attacks of this man. It is not perfect, but I put my faith in seeing it will work. If someone would like to speak with Doru face-to-face. If that would comfort some. It is possible he has knowledge we can leverage, but it is certain that he deserves to be treated as the man he was even though this will be his final day."

OOC Info

N/A

image.png.96665b6a5ba89c3b8a3da17040db17df.pngJoliet

HP:   30/30

AC:   14

Init:  +3

Ammo:  6/6

Action Surge:  1/1

Second Wind:  1/1

Fighting Spirit: 3/3

Condition:  Normal

Features

Class Features:  Action SurgeSecond WindFighting Style - Archery, Fighting Spirit

Tools:  Thieves' Tools, Playing Cards

Languages:  Common, Paridon Creole

Weapons & Armors:  All Weapons, All Armors, Shields

Feats:  Gunner

Racial & Background:  Ear to the Ground

IC

Joliet nods along to all the chitchat while at the same time spinning the cylinder at the center of her signature weapon. She's never really had the patience for planning. Besides, a man with a plan is just two steps shy of being predictable. She prefers to go with her gut, and her gut says they should find out what Doru wants, other than blood, that is. Plenty of time to make a corpse of him after he's dead. "I'll chat him up," she offers. "See what he might spill, yeah? And if things go hinky, I got the shortest fuse this side of forever. He'd have to be mighty quick to get the draw on me."

OOC

AoO: n/a

Action Surge:  n/a

Bonus Action:  n/a

RVskL6u.jpgTamu Zidon

checked-shield.svgAC: 13 | health-normal.svg HP: 21/21 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | Languages: Common, Celestial, Elvish, Infernal

Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Current Conditions: None

Tamu's frown deepened as the motley assortment of would-be heroes chimed in and a different decision was made. She found she still couldn't completely relax the grip on her blade, but she forced her posture to ease, especially under the unwavering conviction of the hulking half-human who made his stance on the matter most clear. The woman with the strange weapons - Joliet - was ready to attempt to speak to the vampire spawn, and Tamu found herself inwardly ashamed of her haste to end this threat. Was it the right course of action? Or were her years with the Dead Three cult still affecting her outlook toward others?

"If you are committed to speaking with this Doru, let me and my sister at least lend some aid." Tamu drummed her fingers along the skin of the drum at her side, whispering softly a mix of old Infernal incantations and some gentle questions in Common. 'Come, little sister - you were always the charming sort. Whisper what needs to be said in the ear of our new friend here.'  

As Tamu tapped a hauntingly rhythmic beat on her instrument, the lighting in the church took on a grayer quality. The air around the group, particularly Joliet, seemed to chill noticeably. And there was the definite feeling of something - or someone - moving closer toward the gunslinger.

Tabletop

Action: Tamu casts guidance on Joliet, allowing her to add 1d4 to a roll she makes in the next minute.

Bonus Action: Tamu grants Joliet a Bardic Inspiration die, which she can spend in the next 10 minutes to add 1d6 to an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

In both cases, Joliet can choose to add the extra die either before or after the roll.

The chill descends, as much from the conversation as Tamu's strange summoning that no one seems to understand. Ireena shivers, wrapping her cloak around her, Ismark putting an arm around her. "He was always a strange one, Doru, his head in the clouds. But he was a good lad. Of course he would not want to live in an undead state as a slave to Strahd. But if you question my resolve, Sulimann, let me remind you I am the Burgomaster's son. I have been raised to blend my heart and mind, not separate them. One does not act without the other." He grins, but there is a certain... uncertainty, perhaps, in his eyes. Ireena grins at her brother, and in that moment, there is almost a family resemblance. "You're right. You're all right. I'm sorry. I just... perhaps there is a way to save Doru. Perhaps not. What I know is this: we must do what is right for Barovia, all of the valley, not just our village."

With that, it is decided: Tamu and Joliet move forward into the room containing Doru. Or so they think.

Time and neglect have punched holes in the ceiling of this moldy room, which contains a few broken roof shingles amid puddles of water, constant drips giving it an eerie ambience. In one corner, set into the floor, is a heavy wooden trapdoor held shut with a chain and a padlock. Heavy breathing can be heard on the other side of the trap door, as if he were right there.

"Are you there?"

Out of Character

spacer.png

Map does not reflect actual location, I just needed Dynaheir there to provide illumination.

image.png.96665b6a5ba89c3b8a3da17040db17df.pngJoliet

HP:   30/30

AC:   14

Init:  +3

Ammo:  6/6

Action Surge:  1/1

Second Wind:  1/1

Fighting Spirit: 3/3

Condition:  Normal

Features

Class Features:  Action SurgeSecond WindFighting Style - Archery, Fighting Spirit

Tools:  Thieves' Tools, Playing Cards

Languages:  Common, Paridon Creole

Weapons & Armors:  All Weapons, All Armors, Shields

Feats:  Gunner

Racial & Background:  Ear to the Ground

IC

Joliet squats down a couple healthy paces from the trapdoor and rests her revolver on one knee. "Doru, is it?" she asks. "My name's Joliet, and this here is Tamu. Friends of your pop, you see. He had to step out for a spell. It seems we're fresh out of blood and so he's gone to the corner store for a refill. In the meantime, my friend and I were wantin' to make your acquaintance and keep you company. Seems you've had a rough time of it lately, yeah? Maybe you'd tell us the tale. And if there's anythin' we might do to lighten your burden, you just let us know."

She looks back at Tamu and offers a shrug. If the other woman wishes to add anything, the floor is hers to do so.

OOC

AoO: n/a

Action Surge:  n/a

Bonus Action:  n/a

Name
Persuasion
1d20+4 8
Forgot Guidance
1d4 3
and if there's advantage
1d20+4 19

Dynaheir follows Joliet and Tamu, staying a few paces behind them with her sword drawn. She keeps quiet, hoping the vampire spawn won't detect her or the others.

It reminds her of one time she went hunting with her brother, Darnil, and a few of his friends. They had tracked a bear to its cave, and Dyna and a few others had waited outside with spears readied while Darnil and his best friend, Karo, entered the cave to lure the bear out. It had worked perfectly... except that what they had been tracking wasn't an ordinary bear, but a dire bear. The young hunters had fled for their lives, and when they reconvened hours later, Karo was not among them.

She won't let this creature do that to her friends.

bramtoke.png.9dfccc21ea93a65b3fda4f82615969f5.pngBramzoz Nannin

HP:   20/20

AC:   12/15/17/20

Init:  +2

Spell Slots: 4/4lvl1, 2/2lvl2

Arcane Recovery:  1/1

Portent Dice:  15/1

Snipssnipstoke.png.504941c5eb410641aac7c36772f2ca50.png

HP:   1/1

AC:   11

Init:  +1

Speed:  5 ft. , fly 30 ft.

Flyby

Keen Hearing and Sight

Features

Class Features:  Spellcasting, Arcane Recovery, Arcane Tradition: Divination, Divination Savant, Portent

Languages:  Celestial, Common, Elvish, Infernal

Weapons & Armors:  Crossbow, Light, Dagger, Dart, Quarterstaff, Sling, no armor

Feats:  Warcaster

Racial & Background:  Researcher

IC

Watching Tamu's ritual was a pleasant experience for Bram. Despite the chill he felt, his excitement was evident, pleased to be witnessing other forms of magic from other sources. He made a note to discuss with the woman later. He had more important things to direct his attention to at the moment.

Bram entered the area a few paces behind Dyna, intrigued with how this conversation will play out. He was glad Joliet was speaking; if he had the task of chatting up a vampire spawn, he'd be more likely to trip over his tongue than get anything useful. Unconsciously, he began tracing some of the carvings on his staff as he listened, his nerves heightened and showing.

Snips snipped his ear, sensing the tension. Bram winced, not wanting to audibly express his pain, and he gave the spirit a look of annoyance that quickly melted to fondness. "Get yourself some place out of the way," he said telepathically to his companion. "Be ready to perform your distraction duties if need be, but stay safe!"

OOC

Bonus Action: n/a

Item Interaction:  n/a

As the telepathic message goes out, Joliet speaks to Doru, whose breathing, though heavy, somewhat relaxes.

"Friends? New friends? Outlanders, no doubt. Father was always the most welcoming to outsiders. That's how he met him. The Archmage. I knew his name, once, but it's as if it has been stolen from my mind, forced away from my tongue. I came home and we supped with the Archmage, who seemed suddenly surprised when we mentioned Barovia, as if he knew what it was. And he did! Outlanders never do, but he did! And he wanted to help us rise up against him. Str—" he stops, as if struggling to finish the Devil's true name, "the Master had recently slaughtered a whole family near the Svalich River. Rage was mounting. We invited the Burgomaster to speak with us... and he declined to help. I forget what reason he said, something about protecting his children. This disappointed Father, but it mattered not. I went and gathered like-minded peasants and we made a force of almost twenty. Together with the Archmage, we stormed Castle Ravenloft... and we were split up, into smaller groups. It was me and three others, trying to follow the Archmage. We stormed the throne room and there he was, sitting. The Master, drinking a goblet of... it was blood. I know that now. The Archmage and the Master seemed to understand one another. Somehow the Archmage was someone the Master knew, said he was impressed with his work. He asked if the Archmage had heard of Azalin Rex, the ruler of Darkon... he had. By another name. From his home world, no less. This impressed the Master, and the two of them... I don't know when it began, but part of the room was destroyed immediately. Then the Master's forces found us.

"The first to find us were two werewolves, which we fought. Two of my companions were killed immediately, but Nikolai and I ran after we stabbed one through the heart. Down some stairs, we found ourselves in the basement... the dungeon. Explosions shook the wall as the Master and the Archmage fought, their battle spiraling around the parapets of Castle Ravenloft. In the dungeon we found another of our companions, the sole survivor of his group, bleeding and running for his life. Whatever was chasing him laughed, a woman's voice: no, a whole pack of them. We ran into a chamber, a crypt of some sort, and the skeletons within awoke, and came for us. We fought, but only.... only I survived. Or so I thought. The found companion, the one we thought we saved, rose up and bit me. Held me down, said I was food for the Master. Then, the Brides came, and then.... I don't know. Time became an illusion to me, as unreal as the sun after a time.

When I saw the Master next, he was scarred, healing from the battle. He taunted me, asked if my Father was involved. Of course not, I said, I would never betray him! But then he began to feed and I... and I... I lost myself. I told him the truth. I told him how the Burgomaster refused to be involved. The Master said it was no matter, that he would deal with the Burgomaster in time. But my Father... he had a very specific way to deal with him. And then the hunger began: the more he fed, the more hungry I became. And when he was bored with me, with torturing me, he released me. So I did the only thing that made sense. With my hunger, I fed on animals I found but I returned home, slowly, night by night. When Father found me, he was so glad... but then he realized what I am. What the Master had done to me. And he wept. Told me he had a way to help me in the basement... and brought me here. Then he locked me in, for fear of what I could do: for the cure for my affliction is well beyond him. But you? You can help me, right? You can fix this."

Out of Character

spacer.png

X

Giselle Kelyre, "the Drowned"    (Half-Elven Paladin of Conquest 3)Giselle

AC: 18 |  HP: 21/21 |  Passive Perception: 11 | Features | Conditions: None

Spells: ○ ○ ○ (1st) Lay On Hands: 15 / 15

Giselle takes Father Donavich's hands in hers. Eyes brimming with tears at the pain this man experienced, she kneels in front of him and invites him onto the floor with her, to kneel as she does.

"Father, it hasn't been easy for you. I myself have walked the shadow, the line between darkness and light. Shadow cannot exist without both darkness and light, for it is the liminal space between the two. And this is where the dawn breaks, and we find redemption.

"You have journeyed long by yourself, Father. But you are not alone any longer. Pray with me?

"O Morninglord, whose light banishes darkness and brings forth the dawn,
Hear my prayer as I stand before you, a humble servant in this land of shadow and despair.
Grant me the strength and wisdom to bring hope to those who have lost their way,
To kindle the flame of redemption in hearts consumed by darkness.

"Lathander, I beseech you, shine your divine radiance upon Father Donavich,
Whose heart is heavy with grief and whose soul is burdened by sorrow.
Guide him from the depths of despair to the path of forgiveness and renewal,
That he may find solace in your eternal light and be redeemed in your grace.

"May your divine love illuminate his spirit, dispelling the shadows that cloud his mind,
And may the warmth of your compassion heal the wounds that bind him.
With your blessing, may he find peace and redemption, and may his faith be restored,
A beacon of hope in this land of darkness, a testament to your enduring grace.

"In your name, O Morninglord, I pledge myself to this sacred task,
To bring light where there is darkness, and hope where there is despair.
Guide my steps, O Lathander, as I walk the path of righteousness,
And may your divine radiance shine brightly upon us all, now and forevermore. Amen."

Tears spill unheeded from her cheeks. Giselle weeps, and hopes that someday she might be worthy of such a prayer said in her name.

Mechanics

Action: Do some prayin' today.

Bonus Action:

Move Action: 

Item Interaction: