Character Creation & House Rules

Arklytte

CHARACTER CREATION

FYI: The Archives of Nethys PathFinder SRD and the Spheres of Power and Might Wiki will be the primary online sources for mechanics information for this game.

No other third party sites or material will be allowed as sources.

For those that find navigating it easier, or simply prefer it's design, they may also reference the D20PFSRD. However, be aware that no 3PP material listed on that site is allowed either (Including the material they have for Spheres, which is woefully outdated. Please use the Spheres Wiki for all Spheres content.)

Ultimate Spheres of Power: We will be using the USoP materials, as listed on the SoP/M site.

Spheres of Guile: We will NOT be using SoG content for this adventure. While I've started reading up on it, and I'm very much liking what I see, I'm not familiar enough with it yet to feel comfortable including it in this game. Sorry.

Be sure to check back occasionally. I'll try to keep this thread updated with any major rules changes as things come up during the character creation process.

Now, on to the meat of the thing...

The first post of your application thread should contain the following information:

Name: This should, hopefully, be self explanatory. orcdeb.gif

Race: Players can be any standard PC race they wish. However, this will be strictly window dressing, and will not affect their mechanics in any way.  More information can be found below.

Class: Please list your Classes and Archetypes, including links, for easy reference.

Gender: Does your character have boy parts, or girl parts? Or both? Or neither?

Age: All PC's must be at least Adults of their respective races. You are reasonably experienced adventurers, and, as such, no kids allowed. You can be older if you wish, for roleplaying purposes, however this will have no mechanical effect on your character's stats (see below for more info).

Physical Description: A paragraph or two is all that's required, unless you really want to get very detailed. A picture is required. In addition to giving us all something to look at, I will be turning your pics into tokens for when we need maps. If you need assistance finding an appropriate pic, let me or your fellow players know. My own Google Fu is strong, as, I'm sure, are several others.

Personality Profile: A paragraph or two that outlines the character's basic personality. Again, you can be more detailed if you like.

Background: A reasonably detailed background for your character. It should be at least 4 or 5 decent sized paragraphs, at a minimum. Again, make it as long and detailed as you wish. I love to read good writing, and if your Muse decides they want you to write a novella, I'll happily read it. orc2.gif

This should include the reason why you now find yourself in the town of Canismini, as well as at least a brief highlight or two of your adventuring career. At your current level, it's safe to assume you've been adventuring for at least a few years. You're no longer novices, but you're not quite storied heroes...yet. Again, it doesn't have to be a novel (unless you want it to be).

Character Sheets: Finally, a link to your Character Sheet. You can use the Pathfinder or Pathfinder (Experimental) sheet, your choice. If you use a custom form for creation, that's fine (and a link would be helpful, but isn't required), but by decision day, all relevant info will need to be on a standard MW sheet.

If you have a preferred application template, please feel free to use it. If not, I have created a simple Template IN THIS THREAD. Just copy the Source into the Source of your own post, save it, then you can edit it as you wish.

If you'd like to try something a bit snazzier, @bwatford has created some pretty slick templates for applications (among other things) IN THIS THREAD. Feel free to use one of his if you wish, though make sure to thank him for his hard work as well.

Or, if you'd rather, you can simply include all of the required information in paragraph form. My primary concern is that the information is available and in a format that makes it easy for me to read.

Character Creation Specifics

Race: As noted, PC's can be any PC race they choose, as this will be, essentially, fluff, since you will be customizing your characters mechanics. Please see the Racial Options post, below, for more information.

Stats: Rather than use the Standard Pathfinder Point Buy, all characters have a pool of 30 points which can be divided up amongst your stats as you please, on a 1:1 basis. You will not gain any additional points from class, race (Origin), magic items, Level Advancement, etc. All stats start at 10, and cannot go above 20. If you have a class feature that increases one or more stats, take a bonus feat for each stat so increased (so if a class gave you a bonus to 'All Physical Stats', you would gain 3 bonus feats).

NOTE: Temporary bonuses to stats (such as from talents like Physical Enhancement, and similar) still work as normal, as will Attribute Points gained by from the Enhanced Attributes Oath Boon.

(NOTE: This is shamelessly stolen (though slightly modified) from @Zannewmar L20 game that I was playing in before my hiatus. *Hat Tip, Z! I only steal from the best. 😄*)

Gestalt: Characters will be built as Gestalt using 'standard' PF Gestalt rules, with a few modifications - See below.

Level: Characters will start the game at Level 5. Depending on how things go, I could potentially see the PC's going up 1-2 additional levels. The challenges will be commensurate with this. Level ups will be by milestone, not XP.

Class: All Spheres Classes and Archetypes are available, as are all archetypes for Vanilla classes (unless noted otherwise). Classes (on the main Spheres Wiki page) marked 3PP (Reaper; Necros, etc) are allowed, but Archetypes for base classes that are not allowed (ie the Epoch Walker Soulknife Archetype), are likewise not allowed.

The Trinity Angel and Trinity Knight PrC's are specifically disallowed.

Multiclassing is allowed, but please keep it to no more than 2 classes + 1PrC per Side. For PrC's, all prereqs must be taken on the same side.

Vancian Casting is strictly disallowed. If you choose to play a Vanilla class that has Vancian Casting, you must either choose a Spheres casting archetype, or an archetype that removes Vancian casting altogether. There are no exceptions to this rule.

If you somehow gain a class feature that is Vancian, then you simply retain it and it works as normal. Trying to convert SLA's to Spheres is headache inducing. Orctwitch.gif

Advanced & Legendary Talents: Are allowed without restriction, so long as you meet the necessary prerequisites.

Variant Multiclassing: Is Allowed

Custom Martial, Casting, and Unified Traditions: Are all allowed. If you cannot find a Tradition that fits your character, then feel free to create a new one (or tweak and existing one). All Custom traditions will need to be requested/approved in your character thread. Custom Traditions must have a conceptual theme, as well as a smallJust a few lines are fine., fluff writeup which fits the character's backstory.

If both sides of your Gestalt would entitle you to a Martial Tradition, instead, take 2 Equipment talents of your choice for the second tradition.

Feats: Characters gain one feat per level, PLUS an additional feat at first level.

Cantrip Feat: All Spherecasters gain the Cantrip Feat for free.

Combat Stamina: All characters who have Full BAB receive the Combat Stamina feat for free. Additional Combat Stamina feats may be taken as normal.

Feat Taxes: We WILL be using the Feat Tax rules. If you gain a feat from a class feature that you would get for free through the Feat Tax relief, you may choose another feat of the same type (General for General, Combat for Combat, etc).

NOTE: Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple are combined into the following, single feat.

Unarmed Combatant

You are skilled at grappling and fighting while unarmed.

Benefit: You are considered to be armed even when unarmed—you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you attack foes while unarmed. Your unarmed strikes can deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your choice.

You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when performing a grapple combat maneuver. In addition, you receive a +2 bonus on checks made to grapple a foe. You also receive a +2 bonus to your Combat Maneuver Defense whenever an opponent tries to grapple you.

Normal: Without this feat, you are considered unarmed when attacking with an unarmed strike, and you can deal only nonlethal damage with such an attack. You provoke an attack of opportunity when performing a grapple combat maneuver.

ADDITIONAL FEAT TAX RULES

Shamelessly stolen from @Llyarden (then slightly modified). Like I said, I only steal from the best. 😉

Agile Maneuvers: Still Gone. However, a character may add their DEX to the CMB if they’re wielding a light or finesse weapon, otherwise they use STR, as normal.

As noted, Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple are merged into one feat and renamed Improved Unarmed Combatant. Monks, and other characters with special unarmed strikes, do not gain Improved Unarmed Combatant; they retain the benefits of Improved Unarmed Strike (even though that feat no longer exists) and their normal unarmed strike abilities.

Any feat that previously required Improved Trip/Disarm/Dirty Trick/Reposition/Steal can be qualified for using Deft Maneuvers, and any Int requirement for such a feat can be replaced with a Dex requirement of the same value. (Any ability that would let you qualify for combat feats with another ability score instead of Int, or treat your Int as a certain value, still functions normally.)

Any feat that previously required Improved Bull Rush/Sunder/Drag/Overrun can be qualified for using Powerful Maneuvers.

You can qualify for feats using a talent that was associated with a feat that no longer exists, but you can only treat the talent as the original feat, not the merged one (for instance, you could qualify for Kitsune Style or Graceful Steal using the Improved Grifting talent, but not Topple Foe, even though Improved Trip, Improved Steal and Improved Dirty Trick are subsumed into Deft Maneuvers)

If you have a natural attack, you qualify for feats and other abilities as if you had Improved Unarmed Strike (even though that feat no longer exists). If you have a special ability like grab or trip that allows you to make a combat maneuver after an attack without provoking, you qualify for feats and other abilities as if you had the appropriate Improved Grapple/Trip/etc feat (even though they no longer exist.)

If you have a weapon-specific Style feat that you would innately qualify to use with a group of weapons (that is, without the feat tax rules), you count as having an appropriate Weapon Training with those weapons for the purpose of the Weapon Style Mastery feat. (A swashbuckler with swashbuckler weapon training could thus take Weapon Style Mastery for use with Swordplay Style, a 5th-level monk could take Weapon Style Mastery for use with Ascetic Style, etc.)

Skills: We will be using the Background Skills rules.

Traits: All characters gain three Traits and may take a fourth by taking a Drawback. Two Traits can be traded for a Feat, if the player so desires, though this can only be done once.

Campaign Traits are NOT allowed, nor are 3PP traits, unless they come from the Spheres wiki.

Favored Class Bonus: See Racial Origin post, below

Hero Points: I am rather fond of Hero Points, encourage their use, and tend to award them often. All PC's will start the game with 3 Hero Points, and can have a maximum of 10 at any given time.  Hero Point feats are likewise allowed.

SPHERES: The Leadership, Pilot and Tech Martial Spheres, as well as the Conjuration Magical Sphere are specifically banned, as is the Leadership feat. Beastmastery is allowed, but you are limited to a One Familiar and One Animal Companion TOTAL.

Alignment: Dont like it, dont use it, couldn't care less about it.

Mechanically speaking, disregard all Alignment based powers and abilities as well. If a talent has an Alignment component, but otherwise has non-alignment related abilities, the Alignment based ones are disregarded but the talent otherwise works as normal. If one of your classes has an alignment restriction (ie Paladin), then I will expect you to create/borrow a Code of Conduct and follow it.

Hit Points: Max for all levels.

Guns: No Capes!...err...sorry. No guns. orcdeb.gif

Cash, Moolah, Scratch, Chedder, etc:

• All PC's start the game with the following equipment
    • One +2 Weapon or Implement of choice
    • One +2 Armour or Shield of choice
      • If the PC does not use Armour or Shields, they may instead choose a second +2 Weapon or Implement.
    • IF THE PC DOES NOT USE WEAPONS/IMPLEMENTS OR ARMOUR/SHIELDS AT ALL, I WILL WORK WITH THE PLAYER TO CREATE APPROPRIATE CUSTOM ITEMS/
    • 5000 GP that they can spend on any additional equipment they wish.
      • This additional GP can be spent in any combination the player wishes, up to and including spending it all on a single item, if they so desire.
      • This additional GP can be used to purchase 'flat cost' enhancements to your free +2 Weapons/Implements/Armour/Shields.
        • This includes Special Materials
      • Note that this is actual cash, so any unspent money will be carried as coinage to be used during the adventure.

Pre-Game Crafting: Is NOT allowed.  There will, most likely, be time during the game to craft items.  If Crafting becomes a factor, we will use the Alternate Crafting Rules

• Alchemists will still be able to create their daily allotment of potions, lotions, and unguents. But they wont be able to have created any permanent items. Any such items available will be assumed to have been used pre-adventure start.

Mundane Gear: At 5th level, I'm not going to nitpick about your character's having any mundane gear they might need. If a MUNDANE item is 15GP or less, you can have as many of them with/on you as you wish, and not have to pay for them out of your initial 5000 GP.   If you have a reasonable means of carrying it (Extradimensional Storage; Shadow Stash; a mule; or just a really big backpack), and it's not silly (ie no carrying around 500 10' poles, unless you have a REALLY good explanation 😄), you can simply assume you have it with you, and dont need to record it on your sheet until you actually use it.

Oaths: All PC's will receive free Oath Points that they may spend as they wish. PC's will start the game with 5 Oath Points (1 OP/Character Level). As you level up, you will gain additional points, and may retrain any number of Oath Points whenever you level up.

Additionally, players may take up to 5 additional points worth of Oaths, should they wish. The Oath of Poverty, Oath of Offerings, and Oath of Wardenship are specifically disallowed, as are the Esteemed Leader and Improved Aristeia Oath Boons. Note that, if you do take additional oaths, it will come up during play. After all, a disadvantage that isn't a disadvantage isn't really a disadvantage. orcevil.gif

Oath Boons: The following Oath Boons are available for players to choose, in addition to the standard ones.

• Fated Birth (Ex) (1 point): Some circumstance of your birth held special significance and has influenced your life in subtle ways ever since. Choose one basic (non-advanced) motif from the Fate magical sphere. You are under the effects of that motif permanently as a Supernatural effect, using your character level as your caster level. You cannot discharge this effect. If the chosen motif has an effect that changes or replenishes when cast, consider it to be cast again whenever you rest to regain spell points.

This Boon may be taken up to three times, representing either astrological, spiritual, or aetherial significance.
    • Snarl The Weave: This General Feat allows you to discharge your Fated Birth motif in the normal manner outlined in the Fate sphere.  Once Discharged, the Fated Birth Motif is inactive until you rest for 8 hours.
  • Incredible Metabolism (1 point): You gain the Endurance feat as a bonus feat. You may add your Endurance bonus to saving throws against poison and disease. You require only half as much food or water as normal for your size, and can be fully rested with only 4 hours of sleep.  This counts as 8 hours of sleep for all purposes requiring 'daily rest'.

• If you also have the Quick Rest Origin talent, you no longer need to sleep.  However, you must meditate in a quiet, restful environment for 1 hour to regain spell points. However, you are fully aware during this rest period and suffer no Perception penalties.

• Having both of these abilities (Quick Rest & Incredible Metabolism) allows you to rest to regain SP/other daily effects TWICE in a rolling 24 hour period, rather than once.

• Keen Senses (1 point): You gain Darkvision 60' (or add +30' to existing Darkvision).

• You quadruple the distance you are able to see in fog, mist, smoke, etc. (usually from 5 ft. to 20 ft.).

• You gain Perception as a class skill, and if you have 5 or more ranks in it, you gain its skill unlock.

• If you have at least 10 ranks in Perception, you reduce all range based penalties to Perception by half.  This applies to Range Increment penalties as well.

• Quick Recovery (2 points): You remove nonlethal damage equal to your character level each round.

• Whenever you are healed hit points by any spell, magical/alchemical item, or by an application of the Heal skill, you regain additional hit points equal to your character level plus your CAM/PAM (whichever is higher).

• Note that Fast Healing, and other continuous effects like it, do NOT trigger Quick Recovery. It must be a specific, discrete act of healing, as from a spell/item/skill.

• You may trade one Feat for two Oath Points. This can be done up to 5 times, for up to an additional 10 Oath Points (this counts towards your additional 10 point maximum). You may not use bonus feats, regardless of source, for this trade. If you do this, you are NOT allowed to take the Bonus Feats Oath Boon.
  • The Bonus Feats Oath Boon is modified, as follows: Note that if you take this Boon, you are NOT allowed to trade any feats (at all) for bonus Oath Points.
    Oath Points Bonus Feats Gained
    1 Oath Point 8th, 16th
    2 Oath Points 6th, 12th, 18th
    3 Oath Points 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th
    4 Oath Points 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th
    5 Oath Points 2nd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 20th
  • The Bonus Talents Oath Boon is modified, as follows:
    Oath Points Bonus Talents Gained
    1 Oath Point 7th, 14th, 20th
    2 Oath Points 4th, 9th, 14th, 19th
    3 Oath Points 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, 18th
    4 Oath Points 2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, 20th
    5 Oath Points

Every even level.

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

RACIAL ORIGINS
As stated in the Creation Rules, above, we will be using the Spheres of Origin rules to create a custom race for your character.

This system is still mostly new to me, as it probably is to you, but I'm slowly getting a handle on it. If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask, and we'll figure out the answers together. orc2.gif

I will link all of tdhe various sections in the Origins information on the Spheres Wiki, for ease of reference.

THE BASICS
  • Race: You can choose any of the Pathfinder Races for your character. However, this is simple window dressing, as your character will be completely custom made. You can still use the base race as inspiration, even recreating some of the races core characteristics. Examples of the Core Races, as filtered through the new Spheres of Origin system, are listed HERE.
  • Baseline: All PC's will use the following Baseline information when creating their character's race.
    This is all pretty basic fare, and hopefully wont cause any confusion.
    • Size: You can be Medium or Small, by default. Small characters gain the appropriate bonuses/penalties, as listed.
    • The size bonuses and penalties gained from Origin Talents will, unlike from all other sources, affect your stats.
      • Please use the mechanics listed in the Size Change Alteration Talent when modifying your attribute and skill bonuses/penalties based on size changes.
      • You may become Large or Tiny at the cost of Three Potent Talents, or Two Phenomenal Potent Talents. You gain all commensurate bonuses and penalties. This change is permanent.
        • You may become Huge or Diminutive at the cost of Five Potent Talents, or Three Phenomenal Potent Talents. You gain all commensurate bonuses and penalties. This change is permanent.
          • You may only take the Minuscule talent if you have already spent the requisite talents to become Diminutive.  This will reduce you permanently to Fine size, again with the commensurate bonuses and penalties.
    • Type: All PC's will choose one Type (most will be Humanoid, but any Type is acceptable). Players may, at their discretion, choose one additional type. This will be in addition to their base Type, and will confer no additional abilities. However, spells, abilities, and effects that affect either Type will affect the PC. Additionally, if they choose a nonhuman Base Race, their SubType will be that Base Race.

So, in theory, the PC's may be anything from Humanoid to Humanoid/Fey (Elf) to Humanoid/Dragon (Kobold), to a Construct (Golem), or even something like an Ooze or Undead, however they choose. It's all just window dressing. That said, nothing will be assumed based on your Type. If you choose to, say, be an Undead, you will NOT gain any Undead abilities unless you take appropriate Origin Traits and, possibly, even Alteration talents/traits.
    • Speed: All PC's start with a base Land Speed of 30.
    • Limbs: Players start with two arms and two legs, as standard. This may be adjusted using Origin Talents (see below).
    • Languages: All players automatically speak Common, their native language, and a number of additional languages equal to their INT bonus.
    • Cosmetic Elements: This is entirely within the player's purview, though it should, in general, reflect your Base Race. However, the specifics of your interpretation of that base race's look is up to you.
    • Ability Scores: The PC's WILL NOT gain any additional Ability Score bonuses. These are already incorporated into your Ability Score points as outlined in the main Creation Rules post.
  • Origin Talents
    The following Origin Talents can be chosen from any of the three Origin Spheres (Aptitude, Essence, or Form)
    • All PC's gain 3 Potent Origin Talents at 1st level, one additional Potent Talent at 5th level, and one additional Potent Talent every 5 Character Levels after that.
    • All PC's gain 1 Phenomenal Potent Talent at 1st Level, one additional Phenomenal Potent Talent at 7th level, and one additional Phenomenal Potent Talent every 7 Character Levels after that.
    • 1 Phenomenal Potent Talent can be traded for 2 Phenomenal Auxiliary talents OR 2 Phenomenal Utility talents, OR one of each type.
    • 1 Potent Talent can be traded for 2 Auxiliary talents AND 1 Utility talent.
    • Phenomenal Talents can be used to take equivalent standard talents.
    • Players can choose any number of Variations for their character.
      • You make take the Extra Origin Talent Feat. Doing so will grant you one Phenomenal Potent Talent. This talent can be exchanged as normal, if you wish.
  • FCB: Players choose TWO FCB's for their character. They will use one FCB on each 'side' of their Gestalt, and each will advance simultaneously.

If you have the Multitalented Auxiliary Origin Talent, you may apply your FCB's to ALL classes, on both sides of the Gestalt.

Subordinates

• If the character gains an Animal Companion or Familiar through a class feature, they may use the Custom Animal Companion and Familiar rules, modified as follows.
    • Animal Companions
      • Animal Companions may be increased to Large size (regardless of the animals original size), with all commensurate bonuses and penalties, at the cost of 1 Potent Talent (either the characters or the companions). If the player takes the Improved Familiar feat, they may increase the Companion's size to Huge, instead by spending 1 additional Potent Talent.
      • In addition to the listed Origin Talents, Animal Companions are considered to be Proficient Martial Practitioners (ie they gain 1 Martial talents every Even level). They use Wisdom as their Practitioner Modifier.
        • Animal Companions DO NOT gain a Martial Tradition.
    • Familiar
      • Familiars gain 1 additional Potent talent, or 2 Auxiliary talents for every 4 levels in a Casting class their master has.
      • In addition to the listed abilities, Familiars are considered Low Casters, with the appropriate Caster Level and Magical Talents. They DO NOT gain the 2 additional magical talents that casters typically gain at first level. The player may choose any Mental stat for their familiar's CAM.
      • Familiars gain a Spell Pool equal to their level plus their CAM.
      • Familiars gain the Cantrip Feat for free.
      • Familiars MAY NOT choose a Casting Tradition. However, they are considered to have the Somatic Casting drawback, twice. Familiars that are bound/paralyzed/grappled/otherwise unable to move cannot cast.
      • Familiar, themselves, do not get feats, but characters can take Familiar feats to work in tandem with their familiar. 3PP Familiar feats, such as Familiar Concentration are allowed with pre-approval.
    • Druid levels/Caster levels only count up to a maximum of the PC's Character Level for purposes of increases to Companion/Familiar abilities/talents.
    • Characters may give up to half of their Oath Points to their critter if they so desire, allowing the critter to take Oath Boons. Companions/Familiars may not, themselves, take Oaths for additional Oath Points.

Alignment Effects
  • Alignment is not in effect for this game, so any talents that have alignment specific uses are disallowed. If a talent has alignment specific effects AS WELL AS non-alignment specific effects, then the talent works as normal, except that the alignment specific effects are ignored.
Hedgewitch Poppets
  • The Hedgewitch class ability "Poppet" (and similar class abilities) has a range equal to 1 mile per Hedgewitch Class Level.

Radiation Damage

Veilweaving
  • The Veilweaving Sphere is allowed, however, Veilweaving Classes are not. The Veilweaving Sphere works as normal, subject to the following restrictions/conditions.
  • Additional Resources
    • Veilweaving Sphere
    • List of available Veils: If you can bind the appropriate slot, you can use any of the appropriate Veils on this list. This does not require prior approval.
    • Enhanced Veils: If you have the appropriate Tradition talent, you gain access to a single Enhanced Veil. You must meet all prerequisites for this Veil. This does not require prior approval.
    • Sphereshaper Veils: If you take the Sphereshaper Talent (or the Sphereshaper Talent Feat), you may, in addition to any other Veils you know, gain access to one Sphereshaper Veil. You must meet all prerequisites of the Sphereshaper Veil to choose/bind it. Each additional time you take the Sphereshaper Talent (or Feat), you can access to one additional Sphereshaper Veil. This does not require prior approval.
    • Akashic Feats: If you have taken at least one Talent in the Veilweaving Sphere, you may take Akashic Feats. Akashic Feats require prior approval.
    • Akashic Traits: If you have taken at least one Talent in the Veilweaving Sphere, you may take Akashic Traits. Akashic Traits require prior approval.
    • These are the only Veilweaving materials allowed. No exceptions...nope, not even that one.

Additional House Rules

• Character Death: Characters will die only when they reach negative HP equal to twice their Constitution score. All other effects of negative HP still apply.
  • Leadership Feat: The Leadership feat (and any other feat/ability that mimics it) is not allowed.
  • Cantrip Feat: All Spherecasters gain the Cantrip Feat for free.
  • Multiple Spell Point Pools and/or Ki Pool: As per the Gestalt Rules characters will combine all Spell Point and Ki Point pools into one large, combined pool. These points may be used interchangeably for Spell and Ki effects as the player desires. As normal, each Spell Pool can have a separate Casting Tradition, or, if the player desires, all Spell Pools can have the same Tradition, just count the bonus SP's once for each Pool

In addition, Ki Pools can also have Casting Traditions applied specifically to them. These will grant additional Ki Points in the same manner as a Tradition grants Spell Points. Note, however, that there are several Drawbacks that can be orders of magnitude more debilitating for Ki Powers than they are for Spell Casting (Extended Casting, is particularly hindering for anything related to physical combat).
  • Combat Stamina: We will be using the Stamina & Combat Tricks optional rules.
    If you have a martial talent that has an associated feat, you may use the combat trick for that feat.
  • Getting Weird Ability Scores to Random Things: If a class feature means you would add a second ability modifier to a save, AC, attack bonus, damage bonus, skill or anything else, you may only add an amount up to the number of levels you have in the class that granted the feature. This overrides whatever rules exist in the various classes that grant the ability, but does not override any other limits in the ability (for instance, if you are a duelist, you still need to be wielding a weapon and no shield to get the benefits of canny defence.) This rule does not apply if you are actually changing what ability score you use for something.
  • Swapping Another Ability to Damage: If you replace your Strength with another ability for the purpose of damage, unless explicitly stated otherwise in the ability, you add 0.5x the ability modifier if you would add 0.5x your Strength, but only the normal ability modifier otherwise, even if you would normally add 1.5x your Strength or more. (Obviously, if you wouldn't add your Strength at all, you can't replace it with another ability). If you're just adding a second ability score to damage, this rule doesn't apply, but the above one does.