Chapter 1: In Pursuit

Primeval Stasis

Moss kneels down to look Abil in the eyes. He had comforted crying kids before, every father had, but this was different. He briefly searched for words, stammering a bit, and then said,

Well, for you, I'm not quite sure where "home" is. But you're safe now with us, and we'll be bringing you with us until we can find some more kind adults to take care of you until this is sorted. You were real smart to hide like that, you know? I'd be proud of that if I was you. The instincts of a forest warrior, stalking from tree to tree, lying in ambuscade, waging war in that cutting off way. We'll take turns going with the wagon, and perhaps you'd like to hear a story about the Age of Heroes, eh? I've got a few of those up my sleeves, and a few of more recent provenance.

Moss will take one of the first shifts with the wagon. He is no expert teamster, but he had learned to handle one in his days under arms.

Shrew keeps a close eye on the road as they thoughtfully chew at their lip. They feel relief to be moving away from the site of past violence, but a growing knot of anxiety builds under that relief for what could lie ahead. When the road is smooth enough to allow it they spend their time studying the books in their bag.

image.jpeg.cce4cc379a04c4525c9653ca1bf69d15.jpegHandyman Dan | F:1 R:2 A:2 I:2 W:1
BACKGROUND: Undercover Lover | HP: 12

Dan keeps his council to himself. His efforts at escaping the dangers ahead thwarted, he keeps his head down and his tongue still while he moves on with the others, contemplating the life's decisions that lead him up to this point.

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A basic horse with saddlebags
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A lantern with oil and fire striker
  • A bedroll
  • A healer's kit (a gift from Esiel). The pouch was given to her by her teacher, so she is passing it on to you, along with medicines she made herself, a small knife, and some bandages.
  • An herbal guide (a gift from Esiel). I'll give a bonus to any rolls to find herbs or make rudimentary medicines from them.

spacer.png

Grisella lets Moss handle the child -- she was never more than middling fair with them.

On the road, she rides next to Dan in a seemingly cheerful silence that nevertheless has a sharp, threatening edge underneath it. I know what you're trying to do, friend. And if you keep trying to do it, I'm not going to have any words with you.

No words at all.