Chapter 1: In Pursuit

Primeval Stasis

When morning comes, it is hard to tell. The storm has faded into a mist across the valley, hiding it from the growing sunlight.

Shrew is the first to wake. They are well rested - with dreams of stories and of their peaceful riverside home keeping them calm and settled through the night. However, the movement of rising villagers once again reminds them they are not alone. They do not have much to pack up, though they are at times handed things as a parting gift by the townspeople.

Moss wakes with Marta clinging to him. They share a brief moment in tender silence before he must go. His wife and daughter look at him with admiration - appreciating the example he set. Unlike these invaders, he has no love for violence, but does what he must. A few words from him here and there ensures that the villagers will carry on with what he urged them to do - establishing a town watch and building a palisade.

It is Semvaline - the fallen guard's daughter, that wakes Dan. On seeing her face over him, he for a moment believes himself to have had a tryst with the young woman. "I know you are eager to get on your brave journey," she says. "I see your bag is already packed. But I have one thing I would like to give you, to remember me by." She reaches down and... brings up a dagger. "This was my father's. I want you to have it. I hope it will keep you safe.

Marta proves more than happy to look after Grisella's livestock. "With all you are doing and have done for us," she says, "I will do anything you need." Throughout their time getting ready for the journey that morning, several villagers - remembering what she did in helping them get organized to deal with the fires - present her with small gifts for the road.

Finally, it is time to set out.

The rains of the previous day - while helpful for dealing with the burning of the town - have made it impossible to get a read on any tracks. All the group has to go on are the directions of the prisoner. While he did seem sincere, there is a certain unease over the expedition. Following the quickest course to the destination the captive had marked, they set off into the fog. The town quickly disappears behind them.

OOC

Stand by for some character and inventory management instructions.

Changes

Attributes: You have 2 points to spend. They can't be spent on the same thing, but you can improve something you already spent a point on (so your highest stat would now be 3).

Background Skill (new): Write down a "background." This will give you a +1 bonus on something related your background. For example, Moss could have the "soldier" background or the "herder" background. This would give him a +1 to soldiering-related things (like fighting, setting up defenses, etc), or herding-related things (like tending to animals, following tracks, etc).

Inventory: In addition to whatever you already looted, each of you gains the following:

• A basic horse with saddlebags
  • A sling bag or backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A lantern with oil and fire striker
  • A bedroll

You should have at least 1 hand weapon, and can have a second if you want. Also, the group will have a hatchet and a map of the area - it's up to you who has what.

Moss:

• A cloak that Marta and Serena had been making him as a surprise gift. It is a bit rough around the edges due to being unfinished, but made of nice material and love. It sheds the rain well.
  • A pouch of money. The group - and village in general - do not have a lot of money, but some of the villagers pooled together what they could spare and sent it with the group. As he had been taking charge in general, it was given to Moss to take care of.

Grisella:

• An old horn, which used to be used to alert the town to dangers and fires (a gift from a villager she helped the day before)
  • A warhorse. It was decided that Grisella should get the prisoner's horse (assuming she'll accept it), since she captured him. The horse is quick and obedient, so I'll give a bonus if you try to pursue someone on it, or if the horses get spooked).

Shrew:

• A survival guide (a gift from Semvaline, from the Mayor's library). I'll give a bonus to any rolls to forage or survival craft.
  • A fishing rod (from Old Man Gias) and special bait. Along with being his book seller, the two had seen each other fishing on the river from time to time.

Dan:

• A healer's kit (a gift from Esiel). The pouch was given to her by her teacher, so she is passing it on to you, along with medicines she made herself, a small knife, and some bandages.
  • An herbal guide (a gift from Esiel). I'll give a bonus to any rolls to find herbs or make rudimentary medicines from them.

Moss sat silent on the hardened leather of the saddle with the newly woven cloak cascading down his back. The ironshod hooves softly clapped as they marched down the lane. As the fog swirled about him, Moss wondered if this is how the great heroes, the ones whose stories he had told to his children around the hearth in the peaceful days just hours before and mocked in bitter drunken reverie about the bonfire with his fellow soldiers in another age and another country. It was nothing grand that called him to the road and whatever lay before him. It was the simple fact that they had his son, and come storm, come wrack, come ruin, Moss would get him back. Even if it cost his wife a husband and his children a father, it must be done.

The dull tap of hammers and axes raising the oaken palisade and idle footsteps of the watch revealed a martial character to the town he had settled in, a martial character he had wanted to escape those two decades ago. But war endures, and that profession of his wicked days, for although Moss had tried to acted with honor and loyalty he could find no other word for the evisceration of another man, had returned to claim him if indeed it had ever left. A perfunctory wave to the assembled and to particularly a wife, son, and daughter he feared he may never see again and Moss turned to the road out of the town.

Ladies and gentlemen, our journey has begun, Moss said quietly, almost mournfully.

spacer.png

Grisella shifts in the saddle of the warhorse she had commandeered. In contrast to Moss, the peasant woman seemed excited. Eager, even. She'd changed out of her peasant gear into sturdier clothes, and her shepherd's crook and the invader's axe hung from the saddle.

Sensing her mood, the horse champs at its bit and prances to one side, nipping at the nearest villager.

"Easy, Dory!" she barks. She flicks the horse's ear to remind him that she will not tolerate disobedience, then gives his mane a quick scratch to show that he's forgiven. "I shouldn't fault you for wanting to be off, should I?"

Grisella shakes her head and sighs after the soldier turned herder speaks. "Those words are too mournful to depart on, Moss," she mutters.

Drawing her shepherd's crook, she holds it high above her head and turns to the crowd. "Yesterday, we were attacked!" she roars. "In our homes! In our beds! These invaders, they took our livelihoods! They told took our children! Did they think we were sheep?"

Dory dances back and forth. Grisella rises in the saddle. "Because they ought! Because we are! We are sheep! And I say that because each of ye here knows has worked the land from near the moment they could walk, and ye know what a sheep will do when it's cornered, when its lambs are threatened! Ye rise! Ye fight! Ye buck! Ye trample! Yon invaders dinnae know what sheep are ... and so we're going to learn them! To learn them the WRATH OF THE SHEEEEP!"

Name
Willpower
1d6 6

image.jpeg.cce4cc379a04c4525c9653ca1bf69d15.jpegHandyman Dan | F:1 R:1 A:2 I:1 W:1
BACKGROUND: Undercover Lover | HP: 12

Dan awakens with a start as the soft touch of the young woman. "What? Your husband? Where?!"

It takes just a moment for him to get his bearings and realize that he's made a terrible mistake. The dead fire. The powerful beams of sunlight piercing the windows. The increasing hustle and bustle of people making ready for travel. Like a complete and utter fool, Dan has missed his opportunity to sneak out in the night.

Now, in the bright and unforgiving light of day, he finds himself more afraid of the disapproving glares of these traumatized townfolk than anything else he can think of. With a nod, he accepts the dagger. "Eager?" he croaks, then clears his throat. "Eager ... is certainly a word." He grabs his meager belongings and shuffles towards the assembly area.

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A bedroll
  • A healer's kit (a gift from Esiel). The pouch was given to her by her teacher, so she is passing it on to you, along with medicines she made herself, a small knife, and some bandages.
  • An herbal guide (a gift from Esiel). I'll give a bonus to any rolls to find herbs or make rudimentary medicines from them.

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)

Shrew thanks each of the villagers that come to see them off. They try, and fail, to keep tears back when Old Man Gias says goodbye. They make sure to take the writing supplies they found yesterday and some scraps of mostly intact parchment. Maybe I could write down our adventures as we go. At the very least it might be good to have a way to attempt to communicate with any more of these foreigners we run into.

They neatly pack the things they have been given into the bags and timidly climb up into the saddle. Horses don't scare them, but they are not accustomed to riding and feel a bit foolish at first. They feel a lot less foolish after seeing the hopeful looks in the eyes of those seeing them off. I won't fail. We can't fail.

Shrew listens to Moss and Grisella and try their best to look brave beside the two. Afterwards, trying to stifle a grin, they pull out some parchment and scribble "Wrath of the Sheep" on the top.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2023 at 8:25 AM, matt_s said:

Moss sat silent on the hardened leather of the saddle with the newly woven cloak cascading down his back. The ironshod hooves softly clapped as they marched down the lane. As the fog swirled about him, Moss wondered if this is how the great heroes, the ones whose stories he had told to his children around the hearth in the peaceful days just hours before and mocked in bitter drunken reverie about the bonfire with his fellow soldiers in another age and another country. It was nothing grand that called him to the road and whatever lay before him. It was the simple fact that they had his son, and come storm, come wrack, come ruin, Moss would get him back. Even if it cost his wife a husband and his children a father, it must be done.

The dull tap of hammers and axes raising the oaken palisade and idle footsteps of the watch revealed a martial character to the town he had settled in, a martial character he had wanted to escape those two decades ago. But war endures, and that profession of his wicked days, for although Moss had tried to acted with honor and loyalty he could find no other word for the evisceration of another man, had returned to claim him if indeed it had ever left. A perfunctory wave to the assembled and to particularly a wife, son, and daughter he feared he may never see again and Moss turned to the road out of the town.

Ladies and gentlemen, our journey has begun, Moss said quietly, almost mournfully.

Moss's wave is returned by the townsfolk. Even those hard at work on the palisade lift up their eyes as the town's new heroes depart.

On 10/3/2023 at 9:29 AM, Dr Jackal said:

spacer.png

Grisella shifts in the saddle of the warhorse she had commandeered. In contrast to Moss, the peasant woman seemed excited. Eager, even. She'd changed out of her peasant gear into sturdier clothes, and her shepherd's crook and the invader's axe hung from the saddle.

Sensing her mood, the horse champs at its bit and prances to one side, nipping at the nearest villager.

"Easy, Dory!" she barks. She flicks the horse's ear to remind him that she will not tolerate disobedience, then gives his mane a quick scratch to show that he's forgiven. "I shouldn't fault you for wanting to be off, should I?"

Grisella shakes her head and sighs after the soldier turned herder speaks. "Those words are too mournful to depart on, Moss," she mutters.

Drawing her shepherd's crook, she holds it high above her head and turns to the crowd. "Yesterday, we were attacked!" she roars. "In our homes! In our beds! These invaders, they took our livelihoods! They told took our children! Did they think we were sheep?"

Dory dances back and forth. Grisella rises in the saddle. "Because they ought! Because we are! We are sheep! And I say that because each of ye here knows has worked the land from near the moment they could walk, and ye know what a sheep will do when it's cornered, when its lambs are threatened! Ye rise! Ye fight! Ye buck! Ye trample! Yon invaders dinnae know what sheep are ... and so we're going to learn them! To learn them the WRATH OF THE SHEEEEP!"

The villagers, already looking upon the group, put down their tools to listen to Grisella. Though well-disposed toward her, they are a bit taken aback by her speech. The few children remaining in the village seem amused, but no adults take much heart. Maybe they are not in the mood after the events of the previous day.

On 10/3/2023 at 10:57 AM, CharmingSatyr said:

image.jpeg.cce4cc379a04c4525c9653ca1bf69d15.jpegHandyman Dan | F:1 R:1 A:2 I:1 W:1

Dan awakens with a start as the soft touch of the young woman. "What? Your husband? Where?!"

It takes just a moment for him to get his bearings and realize that he's made a terrible mistake. The dead fire. The powerful beams of sunlight piercing the windows. The increasing hustle and bustle of people making ready for travel. Like a complete and utter fool, Dan has missed his opportunity to sneak out in the night.

Now, in the bright and unforgiving light of day, he finds himself more afraid of the disapproving glares of these traumatized townfolk than anything else he can think of. With a nod, he accepts the dagger. "Eager?" he croaks, then clears his throat. "Eager ... is certainly a word." He grabs his meager belongings and shuffles towards the assembly area.

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A bedroll

Semvaline laughs at Dan's startled question. "What dreams must you have been having?" she asks with a twinkle in her eye.

At the assembly area, he is given a horse to mount, and somehow winds up at the front of the procession, where the eyes of his companions can easily find him. Still... the fog might give a tempted man the option to flee if he really wants to.

On 10/4/2023 at 1:28 PM, Trayboar said:

Shrew thanks each of the villagers that come to see them off. They try, and fail, to keep tears back when Old Man Gias says goodbye. They make sure to take the writing supplies they found yesterday and some scraps of mostly intact parchment. Maybe I could write down our adventures as we go. At the very least it might be good to have a way to attempt to communicate with any more of these foreigners we run into.

They neatly pack the things they have been given into the bags and timidly climb up into the saddle. Horses don't scare them, but they are not accustomed to riding and feel a bit foolish at first. They feel a lot less foolish after seeing the hopeful looks in the eyes of those seeing them off. I won't fail. We can't fail.

Shrew listens to Moss and Grisella and try their best to look brave beside the two. Afterwards, trying to stifle a grin, they pull out some parchment and scribble "Wrath of the Sheep" on the top.

Not only do the hopes of the villagers and their goodwill lift Shrew's spirits, but they quickly find their horse to be an amiable companion with a steady gait that is easy to follow.

Despite their destination ultimately lying to the southwest as the prisoner indicated, the road dictates that they first climb into the hills northwest of the town. While the tracks have been erased, it is almost certain that the attackers would have taken this direction out of town given the size of their party and the... cargo they carry.

However, as the horses climb the road upward, another opportunity presents itself to Shrew. Looking at the map, they realize the group could follow the river they live on up towards its source in the west, attempting to cut through the forests and shave a good deal of time off their journey - assuming they trust the prisoner about the final destination, and there aren't too many complications along the way. They might even possibly arrive at a destination ahead of the attackers.

Moss examines the map. Then, he spoke with the gruff tone of a man perhaps too used to facing hard facts. It is a gamble either way. They have a good head start on us, but they are laden with captives and wounded. On the road we should be able to overtake them if we press hard for we are few in number and hearty.

The risk is that it will be hard to bring our horses through the wood, and there may come a time where we must choose between sending the horses back and proceeding on foot or taking a long delay in finding a clear path.

One of my mates was a scout in service of the Count back in his day, and he had a saying, apt here maybe, that "shortcuts make for long delays". Any delay is bitter and my heart screams for me to take the woodland path, but cold rationality suggests that it is a risk not worth taking.

spacer.png

Grisella shakes her head. "I agree with Moss," she says. She pats her warhorse's neck. "There's too much can go wrong with a shortcut. And I'm not keen on getting wherever afore the raiders do. We'd be putting ourselves between them and a hard place. Better to nip at their heels if we must."

Shrew nods at Moss and Grisella's words. While they trust that they could move through the woods swiftly on their own, they are uncertain how a horse would handle such terrain. They wonder if they should offer to take the shortcut themselves and delay the captors in some way. The thought stays in their head though as they start to consider what they would do exactly besides get captured or killed. With a sigh they push the map back into their bags. "You're both correct. Without better knowledge of what we are heading into it's best we stick to what we know. Following the road we at least will have the same kinds of delays and challenges as our quarry."

Shrew looks over the landscape around them and sighs again. Taking a journey on horseback to places they've never seen should be exciting, but all they feel is a ball of dread and a tightness across their shoulders.

As they climb, the sun begins to cook off the fog that surrounded their first couple of hours. They can more clearly see the land around them now. South and west lies the forest among foothills, and further still a small mountain range. Ahead, the road drops down from the hills and sweeps across grasslands dotted with smaller woods and ravines.

After a brief pause to eat and allow the horses water, the group spots circling carrion birds above the road ahead, beyond some trees and a rock outcropping.

Moss pondered this.

Something's dead, I reckon. People or horses, hard to say. If they had wounded, they seem like the type to dump the expired to rot on the wayside. If it's horses, they'd have tried to take meat off them, but if they are in a hurry, which they bloody well are, there would still be plenty for the buzzards.

Could be a trap, though I doubt it. If they wanted to stand and fight, they'd turn about and try and ride us down. That's what I'd do, not be all fancy about it, just put numbers to use and tell the tale that way. A couple choices we got. First, just ride into whatever is set for us down there. Second, we dismount and take a quiet walk to that outcropping, get a view of things. I say we do that, a look around won't hurt matters in any case.

image.jpeg.cce4cc379a04c4525c9653ca1bf69d15.jpegHandyman Dan | F:1 R:2 A:2 I:2 W:1

"We need to be careful," Dan warns as the group discusses approaching the carrion birds. "If fresh meat has attracted vultures and the like, they may be attracting larger predators as well. Wolves and worse roam these woods. And many creatures will be quite territorial when they've found a meal."

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A bedroll

From a safe vantage point, the group is able to observe what lies in the clearing beyond. A scene of small carnage awaits; what looks to be the dashed remains of a caravan. A wagon sits broken, part-sunken into the mud off the path, its beasts-of-burden nowhere to be seen. The bodies of a few men and women are scattered about.

Dan was not half-wrong. Though in these outskirt woods there are fewer beasts, a wild pair of wild dogs burst into the clearing, barking to scare off the birds. They begin picking through the fallen.

One of those on the ground cries out as a dog approaches. They struggle to crawl away.