Fiasco, a wacky GM-less game!

Malkavian Grin

So, I just watched a video on the Fiasco RPG (I use the term RPG loosely) and think it would make for a fun time via PbP. I just picked up the rules but have only just skimmed some things. It's not a typical RPG where you have stats and the like, but you do "build" a character.

It is billed as "A game of powerful ambition and poor impulse control" and "inspired by cinematic tales of small time capers gone disastrously wrong—films like Blood SimpleFargoThe Way of the GunBurn After Reading, and A Simple Plan."

Every game played will be different than another, based on the Playset used (think campaign setting), chosen cards, and the individual players.

Since this isn't your typical game, I figured I would put up an interest check first to see if anyone had heard of this, and if anyone was up for something a bit odd. (I'd also be interested in hearing if you have experience playing it)

Thanks ahead of time! :3

14 hours ago, roryb said:

Have it. Only skimmed it. Intrigued by it. Never thought it could be a pbp, but perhaps it could do well. Given that Burn After Reading is my favorite film of all time, it could be fun. Depending on posting frequency, I might bite. (ouch!)

Posting frequency would be something relaxed; twice a week? It honestly just depends on who is involved in each scene and what rate they all wish to post at. Scenes with less people should, in theory, move faster than scenes with more people in them.

12 minutes ago, Morphling said:

I'm definitely interested in learning more.

So, the basic idea is everyone makes a character persona with whatever quirks you like. Then we decide (still learning this bit myself) on how each character relates to the ones "on either side of them." Typically you'd play at a table so you have a player on your left and right, but we'll just assign virtual seats depending on how many players we have. Each person on your virtual left and right has two "relations" to you, be it a relationship, an object of desire, or something else.

The game is played by having the following:

• A setup phase where we all learn about each other.
  • Main phase 1
    • Each character gets two scenes where they are in the spotlight.
    • Each scene is played out around the table, clockwise (so each person will have 1 scene before anyone gets a second).
    • Each scene, the player in the spotlight chooses whether they want to determine a) what the scene is about or b) the outcome of the scene (positive or negative). Whatever isn't picked by the spotlight player is then determined by the rest of the players.
  • The Tilt
    • After everyone has two scenes, the outcome cards come into play and will force the story to change somehow in the second phase.
  • Main phase 2
    • Same as before, but this time keeping in mind the Tilt in play, and ensuring that it happens somehow.
  • The Aftermath
    • Each player picks an Aftermath card to show how the rest of their life plays out.
    • This is a nice way to wrap-up the game by showing 4 small scenes for each character, making sure to reflect the chosen Aftermath.
    • Scenes play in clockwise order again.
    • After all scenes are done, the game ends!

That tickles my memory cells. Given the play style, it could potentially break down in play simply because players will not be active participants in every scene. I don't mind that so much, and there is still a level of participation. My worry is that some players may drop out while waiting off set.

3 hours ago, roryb said:

That tickles my memory cells. Given the play style, it could potentially break down in play simply because players will not be active participants in every scene. I don't mind that so much, and there is still a level of participation. My worry is that some players may drop out while waiting off set.

Perhaps we could modify so that everyone takes a scene at the same time?

6 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

Perhaps we could modify so that everyone takes a scene at the same time?

May be a solution. I certainly don’t mind looking on while others hash it out. We could also limit the number of exchanges between characters in a scene to an arbitrary number, like 3 to ensure things don’t carry on needlessly. We could also illicit feedback in the ooc from others while it’s going on. A good ooc discussion would ve healthy for a game like that.

23 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

I think i have enough interest to run a decent sized group. I'll look into getting acquainted with the rules better and see what can be done.

I would love to join in if you have any room!

I attempted to run a game of Fiasco years ago on OG Mythweavers. It went okay, I think it lost steam and interest fairly early on if I remember correctly. But I love Fiasco and I have for many years, so if there's a chance to join in on this game I would be thrilled.

45 minutes ago, Choomie said:

I would love to join in if you have any room!

I attempted to run a game of Fiasco years ago on OG Mythweavers. It went okay, I think it lost steam and interest fairly early on if I remember correctly. But I love Fiasco and I have for many years, so if there's a chance to join in on this game I would be thrilled.

I'll be sure to tag everyone in this thread when i get stuff ready to go. Choomie you are of course welcome. 😎