Yopine Quietclock

PixCO

Honestly, Yopine was supposed to just be an ad-hoc compile to learn the 5e ropes. But she's quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Name: Yopine Quietclock

Lineage: Deep Gnome

Class: Ranger

Conclave: Gloom Stalker

Background: Urban Bounty Hunter

Personality Trait: "I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong."

Ideals: Redemption (She's a reformed Criminal Enforcer making up for past mistakes)

Bond: "Someone I loved died because of I mistake I made. That will never happen again." (Think Nacho Varga from Better Call Saul)

Flaw: "If there's a plan, I'll forget it. If I don't forget it, I'll ignore it." (No, I didn't just abandon my own carefully thought-out plan and just start winging it. It's still my plan. I just didn't tell you about this part, that's all.)

@BobtheWizard - we should probably move the discussion over to here. We're putting a lot of clutter onto a shared page. And I found the alternate rule that allows Yopine to exchange her Lvl 4 Ability Score Increase for an extra Feat. Makes sense now, thank you.

She'll start with Archery and a short bow, with plans to switch to crossbows once she figures out how to master them at 4th. Sound right?

42 minutes ago, PixCO said:

@BobtheWizard - we should probably move the discussion over to here. We're putting a lot of clutter onto a shared page. And I found the alternate rule that allows Yopine to exchange her Lvl 4 Ability Score Increase for an extra Feat. Makes sense now, thank you.

She'll start with Archery and a short bow, with plans to switch to crossbows once she figures out how to master them at 4th. Sound right?

Yes. That would be my recommendation. With Tasha's, you can put the gnome's +2/+1 to Dex and Wis. So I'd start with 16s in Dex and Wis, and a 14 in Con. So point buy array would be 10,14,14,8,15,10, with the eight either in Int or Cha. If you want to be more well rounded, you could drop Wis to 14 and add 4 more points between the 3 low scores.

1 hour ago, BobtheWizard said:

Yes. That would be my recommendation. With Tasha's, you can put the gnome's +2/+1 to Dex and Wis. So I'd start with 16s in Dex and Wis, and a 14 in Con. So point buy array would be 10,14,14,8,15,10, with the eight either in Int or Cha. If you want to be more well rounded, you could drop Wis to 14 and add 4 more points between the 3 low scores.

Str: 10

Dex: 16

Con: 14

Int: 10

Wis: 16

Chr: 8

Feels right to me. What's next?

Start making a sheet. Click on Sheets at the top, then Create Sheet. Add Yopine's name and Dungeons & Dragons 5e template. Enter what you can with the Ranger rules and then I can take a look at it.

Here is Zorian's sheet if you want to look through it to see how I do it. I probably put more detail in my sheets than most people, though.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2139943

And then here's my character thread to see my application and my posting template. Feel free to copy the code if you like either of them.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/10592-zorian-arakan-half-elf-paladin/

That looks good. I'd add the Prof Bonus, AC, HP, Passive Perception and movement, (and equipment of course).

You probably should use the Mordenkainens Monsters of the Multiverse Deep Gnome since that's the most recent, but SmartAgentKC might let you keep this one.

MMOM Deep Gnome:

Deep gnomes, or svirfneblin, are natives of the Underdark and are suffused with that subterranean realm’s magic. They can supernaturally camouflage themselves, and their svirfneblin magic renders them difficult to locate. These abilities have enabled them to survive for generations among the perils of the Underdark.

Like other gnomes, deep gnomes can live for centuries, up to 500 years.

Ability Score Increase. When determining your character’s ability scores, increase one score by 2 and increase a different score by 1, or increase three different scores by 1. You can't raise any of your scores above 20.

Creature Type. You are a Humanoid. You are also considered a gnome for any prerequisite or effect that requires you to be a gnome.

Size. You are Small.

Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.

Gift of the Svirfneblin. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast the Disguise Self spell with this trait. Starting at 5th level, you can also cast the Nondetection spell with it, without requiring a material component. Once you cast either of these spells with this trait, you can’t cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast these spells using spell slots you have of the appropriate level.

Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells when you cast them with this trait (choose when you select this race).

Gnomish Magic Resistance. You have advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against spells.

Svirfneblin Camouflage. When you make a Dexterity (Stealth) check, you can make the check with advantage. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Languages. Your character can speak, read, and write Common and one other language that you and your DM agree is appropriate for the character. The Player’s Handbook offers a list of languages to choose from. The DM is free to modify that list for a campaign.

34 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

That looks good. I'd add the Prof Bonus, AC, HP, Passive Perception and movement, (and equipment of course).

You probably should use the Mordenkainens Monsters of the Multiverse Deep Gnome since that's the most recent, but SmartAgentKC might let you keep this one.

MMOM Deep Gnome:

Deep gnomes, or svirfneblin, are natives of the Underdark and are suffused with that subterranean realm’s magic. They can supernaturally camouflage themselves, and their svirfneblin magic renders them difficult to locate. These abilities have enabled them to survive for generations among the perils of the Underdark.

Like other gnomes, deep gnomes can live for centuries, up to 500 years.

Ability Score Increase. When determining your character’s ability scores, increase one score by 2 and increase a different score by 1, or increase three different scores by 1. You can't raise any of your scores above 20.

Creature Type. You are a Humanoid. You are also considered a gnome for any prerequisite or effect that requires you to be a gnome.

Size. You are Small.

Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.

Gift of the Svirfneblin. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast the Disguise Self spell with this trait. Starting at 5th level, you can also cast the Nondetection spell with it, without requiring a material component. Once you cast either of these spells with this trait, you can’t cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast these spells using spell slots you have of the appropriate level.

Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells when you cast them with this trait (choose when you select this race).

Gnomish Magic Resistance. You have advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against spells.

Svirfneblin Camouflage. When you make a Dexterity (Stealth) check, you can make the check with advantage. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Languages. Your character can speak, read, and write Common and one other language that you and your DM agree is appropriate for the character. The Player’s Handbook offers a list of languages to choose from. The DM is free to modify that list for a campaign.

... I thought that's the version that I did use? Which part did I get incorrect?

Racial: Deep Gnome
+2/+1 WIS/DEX
Darkvision (120')
Gift of the Svifneblin (WIS)
   Nondetection (At Will)
   Disguise Self
Magic Resistance
Camouflage

EDIT: Right, Nondetection isn't until 5th.

Edited by PixCO
No Nondetection Yet (see edit history)

1 hour ago, BobtheWizard said:

And it's not at-will anymore. It's only once per day.

Okay, I see what happened there. I started with MotM described under the Deep Gnome race, but then finished in the Racial Feats section which used ToF. I'll go through it again in the morning and look for other mistakes.

What's your opinion on Zephyr Strike over Hunter's Mark. Zephyr sounds like it'd be useful for escaping when you're surrounded. Not sure if it plays out that way in reality.

12 hours ago, PixCO said:

Okay, I see what happened there. I started with MotM described under the Deep Gnome race, but then finished in the Racial Feats section which used ToF. I'll go through it again in the morning and look for other mistakes.

What's your opinion on Zephyr Strike over Hunter's Mark. Zephyr sounds like it'd be useful for escaping when you're surrounded. Not sure if it plays out that way in reality.

I like them both. Hunter's mark is straight damage but is a great use of your bonus action until you get crossbow expert. Zephyr strike is more situational but can be clutch. We need to you to have some healing, so take Goodberry. Then I really like Entangle to restrain several enemies at once. Then I'd take one of Hunter's Mark or Zephyr Strike. Probably Hunter's Mark for now then switch to Zephyr Strike next level and see which one you like better.

@BobtheWizard

Yep, Goodberry was my first pick. I was thinking Entangling Strike, but she's not safe to fire into melee yet. Entanglement would be better.

How many spells do we know at the start? That's one of those things where every edition handles it differently and most campaigns house-rule a mechanic anyway.

And I also need to make sure I'm not missing out on any bonus spell slots from the 16 WIS. That used to be pretty standard, but it doesn't look like 5e retained that. Though I could be wrong. I've made a lot of mistakes so far. Really do appreciate the help here.

@BobtheWizard

Definitely Hunter's Mark. Multiple d6s plus super-tracking vs. a single use escape? Should have been a no-brainer, actually. Thanks for the direction.

Goodberrry

Hunter's Mark

Entangle

@SMARTAgentKC

How's she looking so far? I took Short Bow rather than Short Swords from the Ranger Starting Gear, and the Leather Armor. What should I be looking at in addition to basic starts for equipping her?

Edited by PixCO
Clumsy Syntax (see edit history)

overall not bad for your first 5e, Your AC however is incorrect as Leather Armor is 11 + Dex mod or 14 for you.

Don't worry too much about sticking to the rules about equipment, there's an alternate that say you can roll for money instead of taking the starting equipment and background but that's at the start at level 1, just take whatever you need/want (within reasonable limits) that will allow you to use all your abilities.

Stuff I recommend,

An explorer's pack:

Considered the go to pack for almost all characters, this loaded backpack gets you what you need when on the road, it tends to be bulky and has a lot of extra weight in the form of 10 torches and 10 rations, but it has a nice bedroll to sleep with, a mess kit to eat with, a tinderbox to make fire, a water skin to store water or whatever other drink you want and a rope that can be useful in the right situations. The reason it's so go to is because it's overall cheap at only 10gp a pack. There are other packs available if you want more options, but the explorer's pack is usually the base starting one and usually the best one unless you're like a dumped strength wizard or sorcerer,

A druidic focus:

In recent updates, the ranger has gained the ability to channel their limited magic using a druid spellcasting focus. You'll need it on hand to cast Goodberry, as that spell has a material requirement otherwise you would have a component pouch which normally would cost 25gp or specifically have to seek out the material component or come up with an in-character excuse for having it.

Your Background Goods:

these goods you normally gain from your background mostly have some roleplay value, others have actual uses. Thankfully for your background they are keeping it simple which just some decent clothes (can't go wrong with traveler clothes) and a pouch of money, the pouch despite it's simple thing is actually handy to have to store small objects or coins for later purchases.

The tools you are proficient in:

If you have a tool proficiency, you need the tool set itself to be able to use said proficiency, most of the time it is recommended that you acquire your own set of tools for your adventures. Most tools are situational but there are a few of them that are recommended that at least one member of the party have. These include Thieves tools and Herbalism Kit. Thieves Tools are one of the most commonly used tools in dungeon adventures and often are used to help disarm traps or unlock doors or chests while the Herbalism Kit is required to craft healing potions and anti-toxins.

Most of the time you gain tool proficiency from either your background or class, if it's in your class usually they give you the tool in the starting equipment however background equipment packages very rarely give you the tools needed to use those specific proficiencies and they must be acquired by other means.

Your background in particular gives you two choices between a gaming set of your choice (pure roleplay) a musical instrument of your choice (mostly roleplay but Bards use them as magic focuses) and thieves tools (one of the more commonly used tool sets in 5e used for disabling traps and unlocking doors, plus it's the base magic focus for the artificer) If you take the thieves tools proficiency then you should grab a set of thieves tools,

Healing Potion

Speaking of healing potions, it's always nice to have something on hand that can restore your Hitpoints without resting, healing potions are a hefty cost in the beginning but handy to have in a time of need especially if your cleric, druid or bard ran out of spell slots to heal people (happens often at the lower levels)

Holy Water

Holy Water in 5e isn't fully the silver bullet against undead or fiends but when it's needed to like put an end to an evil ritual, oh you better hope to have it on hand otherwise you'll be sunk, or burned or buried depending on the enemy that got you (or the DM will have an NPC who just happens to have a vial of the stuff on hand)

A backup weapon

So say somehow your main weapon breaks or is destroyed and you have no other weapons. What are you going to do? Punch something? Ask an ally for a weapon? well maybe you should have come prepared with a back up weapon even something as simple as a dagger is better than a punch and daggers are decently cheap, can be run by both strength and Dexterity and is throwable another good backup is the hand axe, it too is throwable and can be used to cut and slash stuff up, another good weapon is the quarterstaff, this simple yet versatile weapon can bust heads in and can be used both one or two handed

Better Armor

Leather Armor while decent at the start quickly becomes obsolete when faced with heavy to hit enemies, depending on your dexterity and/or fighting style you might want to consider upgrading to Studded Leather Armor or something like a chain shirt to increase your AC, you could wait until you get some magic armor but most of the time that doesn't come into play until like level 5. There are other ways to increase your AC like by taking cover but that all depends on the battle field sometimes you might get caught in a small room filled with undead hitting you from all sides.