Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2950: The honored guest

Vladim

Idunn watched as Viglund received her words. He did so coldly at first, as he always did, but then, after but a few moments, a strange thing happened: slowly, a smile formed on his lips, twisted and self-assured, and almost mocking. She had never seen him like this, this mirthless would-be king, who was always stern and grim. The sight unnerved her.

"You truly think so?" he remarked in surprise almost, as if taken aback by the revelation, or perhaps the perceived folly behind such reasoning. Yet he demanded no comment on it, for it was a rhetorical question; it needed no answer. "You have a cunning mind, huntress, and an answer for everything. In that you may yet outdo your cousin."

Idunn remained silent, unsure if it was a compliment or an accusation, and of how to respond to it. Yet is seemed to be neither, or at least Viglund had not made it clear, and so she thanked him quietly and in acknowledgement, with naught but a feeble nod, as courtesy would have it.

"You have earned the ear of my men, and it is clear to me that you were sent here to speak not to me alone, but to all my folk, just as Thane Merovech once did. This much I can tell. You seek to better understand our ways. Thus, I request that you address them tomorrow. We shall debate the merits of our customs and yours before an audience of Thanes and warriors. We shall see who shall be deemed the wisest."

Idunn had no words to such a demand. For his request was a command, and she knew that she could not deny it. "I did not journey here to debate you, nor do I wish to undermine you. I only seek to honour the memory of my kin, and to extend a hand in friendship, if such a thing is possible yet."

What did he want of her? He seemed eager to argue, as if a contest of wits would put an end to their differences. But the odds would favour him, and heavily so, even if truth was on her side. For they were to debate for an audience of loyal vassals. Men that had sworn oaths to him and were bound by honour to defend him. If only the Free Cottars had not returned to their steads already...

Scene 11: Hearts and minds

Thirteen days after the Yule
Guthred's home
Company location: The Vales of Gundabad

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe rest of the day she spent with Guthred, to whom she told all. The old Thane seemed to scold her for getting herself involved in this matter. Yet he knew his chief all too well; far better than Idunn did, and so he was not as hasty as to cast all blame solely upon her shoulders. This was clearly something Viglund wanted. Thus, it was near-impossible to resist his will and authority.

The huntress was ambivalent. On the one hand, she did not wish to squander what little goodwill her words and deeds had earned her here. On the other, she would not go quietly into the night, and meekly pretend that she agreed with all that had been done, and was being done here. An emissary she might be, and the kin of Merovech, but she would speak her mind, for what would be the point in acting like a sycophant?

Yet she was keenly aware of one thing: she would have to tread lightly. The situation was bad enough as it was.

spacer.pngThe night came and went, affording her little sleep and much worry. Aestid attended to her, and gave her heart and counsel. She was much unlike Viglund, her father, as if she was not of his blood. She marvelled at her wisdom, which came despite her young age. She knew that she was Guthred's ward. Her friend had raised her well, like his own daughter. She wished to come, and to listen, and Guthred, despite his protests, could not deny it. Idunn thought that neither could Viglund-so strong-willed she could be when she set her mind on something. And so it would be done as she willed.

On the following night, the Thanes and the warriors gathered around a table, in a small room, in a longhouse not far from the Great Hall. Viglund sat at the head of the table; she stood near it, but not at it, opposite to the chieftain, at a place prepared for her. A few more Viglundings of note were in attendance, but no thralls or common-folk. Their eyes and ears were hers.

OOC

Right, so Ironsworn doesn't really do social combat, but there's a fan-made supplement that does (link). Or perhaps these rules (link). The second set of rules seems closer to RAW, so let's start with trying those out.

I'd say the audience is negatively predisposed (she is at a disadvantage) so let's make it formidable.

Progress: □□□□□□□□□□
Countdown: □□□□

spacer.png

spacer.pngViglund beckoned her. It was time. She took one step forth as those in attendance set aside their ale, leaving their cups rest upon the table.

She thought she needed no introduction. She had spent many days here, and knew most by name, even if she had spoken little to them. Still, tradition demanded that she start not with getting to the heart of the matter.

"Lord Viglund has asked me to speak to you. For those that may not know me, I am Idunn, daughter of Theodwin, of the wood-folk to the south, and a kin to Merovech, the late Thane of lord Beorn, whom you may remember." She eyed the assembly, making note of them all, and tried to focus at the task at hand and forget her nervousness. "I have broken bread with many of you, and spoken tidings and tales, and I have hunted with others, and joined your feasts, as your gracious hospitality allows. If my blood does not speak of my worth, then I hope that my deeds and word here have proven it."

OOC

I'll interpret this as a Secure an advantage with +wits, reminding them what she has accomplished here and who she is so that they'll take her seriously.

Secure an Advantage:
Dice Roll: 1d6+4t 2d10
d6 Results: 2 (Total = 6)
d10 Results: 5, 10 (Total = 15)
Sum Total: 21

Edit: Weak hit. +1 Momentum.

spacer.pngViglund motioned with his hand, urging her to proceed. Some of the thanes and warriors were shifting restlessly, as if eager for her to conclude this, so that they could return to their ale. She ought not tarry long.

"Lord Beorn's Thanes sent me not to change your minds or challenge your ways, but merely to attend your celebration, and bring tidings. I have abided by your customs for as long I have remained here, and broken none of your laws. I would, if I might, remind you not of our differences, but of what we have in common. We share not only a common enemy, but blood also. For we are Northmen and Free Folk first and foremost. We must stand together against the evils of these lands if we are to survive."

OOC

It's a Compel using a logical argument, so I'm going to say +wits again and leverage her top stat:

Compel:
d6 Results: 1 (Total = 5)
d10 Results: 4, 3 (Total = 7)
Sum Total: 12

Edit: Strong hit. This move works differently in a scene challenge, so she simply marks progress.

Progress: ■□□□□□□□□□
Countdown: □□□□

spacer.pngShe sensed her audience stir, as if something she had said had caused a sensation. But Viglund raised his hand, and all fell silent quickly. He urged her to continue, and so she did.

"My cousin, the late Thane, believed that friendship between your folk and his is possible. He was the Thane of Judgement, and a man of great honor and standing, and he would see it through, yet his time was ended far too soon. But I have taken up his task and mantle, and I have sworn to continue his work, and hope to finish it."

OOC

Secure an advantage with... +Iron (boasting about her cousin)? Or +heart (appeal to emotion)? Looks like the latter to me...

Secure an advantage:
Dice Roll: 1d6+2t 2d10
d6 Results: 3 (Total = 5)
d10 Results: 10, 6 (Total = 16)

Edit: Miss. Pay the price. Maybe... I can roll? But the result might not make sense. Let's see:

Pay the Price:
Dice Roll: 1d100
d100 Results: 58

Edit: It causes a delay or puts you at a disadvantage. Definitely the latter.

Progress: ■□□□□□□□□□
Countdown: ■□□□

spacer.pngspacer.png"You need not constantly remind us of your kin." retorted Viglund, who seemed to be growing impatient. "I know full well who he was, as do my Thanes. Speak of yourself, if you must, but you are no Thane. You have not his authority. And besides, your lineage is not the matter here."

Several of his warriors indicated their agreement. The huntress grew more nervous. She would not be permitted to go on like this endlessly, nor would she be able to skirt the issue indefinitely.

"Very well." she set, and set aside for a while the matter of Merovech. "I shall delay no more. The heart of the matter is your custom of thrall-taking. Let me no longer avoid it.

I will not speak ill of it whilst I am a guest under your roof, though those that know me know that I have never hidden my thoughts on this matter. Yet while this custom remains unchanged, the rest of the Free Folk will remain wary towards your own. For none of them practice thralldom: they take neither orcs nor Men as slaves, and either practice would give them pause. You must decide for yourselves if preserving your custom is worth the mistrust of all other Men-folk."

OOC

Compel with +wits:

Compel:

Dice Roll: 1d6+4t 2d10

d6 Results: 5 (Total = 9)

d10 Results: 6, 4 (Total = 10)

Sum Total: 19

Edit: Strong hit.

Progress: ■■□□□□□□□□

spacer.pngspacer.pngAll heads turned to Viglund as she spoke her words, yet the chieftain did not interrupt her. Instead, he allowed her to speak all that she had to say before replying to her words.

"You would say none of this if you knew the Hill-folk and the orcs to the North, and had shed blood and lost friends to them."

Viglar, his son, added: "Death is too good for them. Thralldom is what they deserve. If they seek to make us thralls, then let them taste their own medicine."

Idunn turned to look at the eager son, and found him much like his father. She knew the situation to be intractable here. She knew that the odds did not favor her, and that her words would, most likely, fall upon deaf ears. But, perhaps, some would listen. Not many, but even if they were a handful only, then this alone would be reason for hope. All that she must do was to plant the seed. That was the best she could hope to achieve.

spacer.png"Yet it is not the orcs and Hill-folk alone that will grow to fear you if you continue along this path, Viglar son if Viglund. It is the rest of the Free Folk as well. Do you truly wish to alienate them thusly, and close the door to friends and allies? You would be a fool to do so. For not even the Viglundings, mighty and valiant though they may be, can hope to stand alone against the power of Gundabad."

OOC

Another compel with +wits:

Compel:

d6 Results: 6 (Total = 10)

d10 Results: 2, 7 (Total = 9)

Sum Total: 19

Edit: Another strong hit.

Progress: ■■■□□□□□□□

spacer.pngspacer.png"The power of Gundabad is broken. What is needed now is the strength to strike the killing blow. Viglund has such strength. None other do."

Idunn turned away from Viglar to face the man that had made such a bold proclamation. It was Sten the Strong, Viglund's war-Thane, who sat by his chief-a place of great honour. She had not spoken to him before, but she knew him by reputation. Even the young warriors of the weorod respected him as one of their own, and always kept an empty seat for him when they drank and feasted.

Idunn marvelled at the Thane's conviction. The strength of the statement. The man's steadfast loyalty. All such things were remarkable; so much so, that they almost made her forget the folly of such a position.

"Broken?" she asked in disbelief. "Yet Viglund has lost a son to such enemies this last summer, and many men, from what I have gathered. I too would wish to believe that the power of Gundabad has been broken. Yet such are not the portends of a broken power."

She seemed to have forgotten all her diplomacy and all her tact. Her audience reminded her of it, for they grew restless instantly, and more than one angry words escaped towards her direction. Yet she regretted it not. If this was what they needed to see the truth before their very eyes, a truth that they seemed oblivious to, then so be it.

"Not too late, I hope, will the valiant folk of Viglund realise that it was folly to trade prudence for boldness, and throw all caution and the alliances of old to the wind. Such way lies madness; madness and death."

OOC

Let's keep going...

Compel with wits:

d6 Results: 3 (Total = 7)

d10 Results: 3, 2 (Total = 5)

Sum Total: 12

Edit: Strong hit again.

Progress: ■■■■□□□□□□

spacer.pngThe words grew to a cacophonous crescendo; so much so that Thane Sten had to call for silence in a loud voice to restore some semblance of order. Idunn could see many eyes upon her, gazing at her with contempt-especially those of the warriors, who had fought and bled in the battles she had casually referenced.

She was unnerved, and for a moment regretted her bold words. That feeling was short-lived. But the fear lingered for longer.

As for Viglund, he merely observed coldly, as always, seemingly indifferent to the escalating situation. When the war-Thane spoke again, he did not have much to offer. "You overestimate their strength, and underestimate our own." was all he said, and that was that.

spacer.pngspacer.pngThane Guthred interjected, raising his voice above those of the others. "And what would you have us do, daughter of Theodwin?" he said, and looked at her sternly, as if to warn her to choose her next few words carefully. For though friends they were, here he was Thane first. Perhaps it was this that he wished to make apparent with his question and harsh tone. Perhaps he sought to put an end to the rumours, spoken by some, that his friendship to the Beornings and the Woodmen outweighed his loyalty to his lord.

The huntress stood hesitant. Her words could be misconstrued by many, twisted or misinterpreted, to convey a different meaning. But she had not planned a speech. All she had was her thoughts and beliefs.

"You live on a knife-edge here. It is not only the harshness of the land, nor the orcs of Gundabad or the wargs of the wild that stand against you. For the thralls which you have put in chains will one day rise up against you, whether it be out of anger or desperation. It matters not. Your custom will not protect you; indeed, it will weaken you.

Send word to Dale, to Esgaroth, to Erebor. The men-folk and dwarf-folk can see that the Narrows must be protected, for trade and for travel. They will stand with you, and aid you in your need. You mustn't stand alone. Such thing is folly."

OOC

Keep going....

Compel with Wits:
d6 Results: 4 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 2, 8 (Total = 10)
Sum Total: 18

Edit: Weak hit. Mark progress & a countdown box.
Progress: ■■■■■□□□□□
Countdown: ■■□□

spacer.pngspacer.png"The thralls would not dare to raise a finger against us." said Viglund, and added ominously: "Of this we have made certain."

"And what of Elfwyn?" retorted Idunn. "Despite your assertions, she has shown herself bold enough to escape. What if she returns with an army of hill-folk at her back? What if you have misjudged them?"

"Let them come." the chieftain offered. "If they dare it. We shall slay them by the dozens. Let them come." The warriors stirred restlessly, and whispered in approval. They seemed eager for such a possibility.

spacer.pngHer arguments were falling on deaf ears. Try as she might, he would not hear her. Before she could mount a counter-point, another Thane interfered. "We do not stand alone, huntress. The Free Cottars will join us, and fight at last for their lands. You need not fear for our fate."

"They are no warriors. Twenty Dalish soldiers would be more useful than a hundred of such farmers and herders."

"They can be forged into such. If not they, then their sons. I'd sooner have them by my side than mercenaries and cut-throats."

She sighed. She was growing exasperated, and careless. "Lord Beorn would aid, if there was need. So would his Thanes. Your folk and his, they are of the same blood! You are natural allies! Why not join forces?"

She was not allowed to continue. Viglund arose from his seat, and silence fell inside the room.

OOC

Keep going... But this time her arguments are based more on emotion/frustration rather than logic. Ergo, compel with +heart, not +wits.

Compel with Heart:
d6 Results: 5 (Total = 7)
d10 Results: 6, 10 (Total = 16)
Sum Total: 23

Edit: Weak hit. Mark progress & a countdown box.
Progress: ■■■■■■□□□□
Countdown: ■■■□

spacer.png"We have heard your arguments, woodswoman." said Viglund. Yet what Idunn thought he meant by it was something akin to: "You have said enough." She sensed hostility in his tone, just as she had witnessed when he had addressed her companions, on the day before the Yule, just before their hasty departure.

She fell quiet. There was little she could do now but hear his response.

"And what would be the price of Beorn's aid? Would he charge us taxes, as he charges tolls to those that make use of the mountain passes? This is our land, and we have shed blood to protect it. We cannot set aside our customs and give it up to a lord that knows it not."

Silence filled the room again. The thanes and warriors turned to look at Idunn again, awaiting her response. She tried as best she could to regain her composure, and gather her wits about her. An impassioned speech would do little here. She had found more success by appealing to reason.

spacer.png"I have heard many strange things since I arrived here. I do not know the source of such rumours, but I can assure you that Beorn is no tyrant. He wants not to rule; in fact, he does not even desire to be chieftain to his folk. Only because they chose him he accepted. He does not covet your lands, and nor does he care for gold; none, that is, save that which he needs to keep his land safe. He does not wish to tax you, or to rule over you. All aid would be given in friendship, I believe."

OOC

Compel with wits again...

Compel:
d6 Results: 6 (Total = 10)
d10 Results: 2, 9 (Total = 11)

Edit: Strong hit!
Progress: ■■■■■■■□□□
Countdown: ■■■□

spacer.pngspacer.png"And what of our lands?" interjected Thane Ethylstan. "Who will till the fields and harvest the crops should we give up our thralls? Will Beorn send us his folk to replace them?"

"You will till your fields, and sow your seeds, and harvest your crops." asserted Idunn. "Not your thralls, nor the Free Cottars, but you alone. You must labor in your own land to love it."

The war-Thane raised his voice in indignation. "Should we then trade our swords for ploughs, and spend the rest of our days slaving away on the fields like thralls?"

spacer.png"Not as thralls. As Free Folk. There is no shame to working the land with one's own hands. The sword you need not give up, for you will need to defend home and hearth. Yet the sword alone will not feed you."

She sensed the assembly stir with disapproval. All those gathered here were warriors, or once had been. They were proud and valiant, and they loved the sword, and to them farmers were as slaves. She would not convince them easily. She had to change her approach.

"Such changes take time. I do not come to force you to change your ways. Such a thing is beyond my ability, and nor would I wish to impose it on you. I come only to give counsel, and to show that another way is possible. The Free Cottars are now your allies. Learn from them, as they too shall learn from you. They might not be mighty warriors, but they love their lands, and would die to defend it."

OOC

Oh Idunn, you're doing the heart-thing again, and you aren't very good at it. Will your luck keep?

Compel with Heart:
d6 Results: 5 (Total = 7)
d10 Results: 5, 8 (Total = 13)
Sum Total: 20

Edit: Weak hit. Let us end this.
Progress: ■■■■■■■■□□
Countdown: ■■■■

End the challenge:
Dice Roll: 2d10
d10 Results: 6, 6 (Total = 12)

Edit: Strong hit with match. I'll need to think about the positive twist. I think this counts as reaching a milestone in her inciting incident oath, as well as her 'bring peace' oath. Interestingly, this whole scene challenge would have failed with the more challenging stat array. I wonder if I should stat her down if she's not soloing...

Edit 2: The match introduces a new twist, opportunity or something interesting. I am going to rule that Guthred is thinking about defecting, and has already sent word to Black Tom about the situation with the Free Cottars.

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe Thanes prepared to interject yet again, but Viglund lifted his hand and signalled for them to remain quiet. He had been listening to the huntress speak, and following all her arguments and counter-arguments, saying only little himself. Yet now the time for debating was at an end.

The Thanes obeyed instantly. Even the warriors of the weorod fell completely quiet.

"You have said much, daughter of Theodwin." he remarked plainly. "In your conviction, you forget the task that was set to you. You overreach. You have no authority to negotiate any agreement. What you say, the alliances you propose and the friendships you offer: such things are mere guesses. You were only sent to watch. You are not your cousin."

His words had some sense of finality to them. Idunn had to accept their truth. He was right. She had no authority, nor terms or treaties to negotiate. All that she had were her views and beliefs, but her standing was not such that she could speak about such matters, or make offers. She quietly acquiesced, acknowledging the limitations of her role as emissary. A simple nod of the head was all that she could offer; that and a few meek words by way of apology. "I only carry tidings and counsel. May they inform your views and your decisions."

The chieftain sat. She was allowed to follow suit. Such was their tradition. They all ate and drank together, but did not touch upon the matters she had brought to the fore again. To do so would have been deemed an insult. Yet she had to wonder how much such things weighed on them. She tried to pierce into their minds, and observed them keenly, but she could deduce nothing. Had her words even touched them? Any of them? Or had they all fallen upon deaf ears? And what of mighty Viglund? Had she already made an enemy out of him? Yet even if she had made just one of them to think, be he thane, or elder, or warrior, she would have counted it a victory. But she could not tell, and so she only hoped. A fool's hope, perhaps.

At times her eyes met with Guthred's. His did not linger, though the Thane seemed to have something to say. Perhaps in private. Such things were not for everyone's ears.

Scene 12: The truth

Thirteen days after the Yule
Guthred's home
Company location: The Vales of Gundabad

spacer.pngspacer.pngWhen at last they returned to Thane Guthred's home, they did so together. Her old friend spoke not a word as they walked outside, and he was as a closed book to her. But that was nothing unexpected or extraordinary. He had always kept his thoughts to himself, and in this matter in particular, he perhaps had additional incentives to do so.

At last, when they were safe behind closed doors, he broke his silence. "He will make you regret your words," he said gruffly, "you should have chosen them more wisely."

She had been cutting a loaf of bread, and she turned to see him as he spoke, and noted that his expression was grave. She herself believed that she had not fared too badly; she had not openly challenged him, like Dahr-Ol had, but she had spoken her mind, and thought and hoped that at least some amongst the assembly had listened. But she had expected no different response from Guthred, who had always struck her as harsh, on the surface at least.

"I was invited to speak. I was not discourteous." she said in defense. She believed it, though she was no longer naïve enough to believe that courtesy would protect her fully.

"You are as stubborn as your cousin." he replied, but there was something endearing in his tone now-less of the harshness of his opening remark. Then he turned grim again, and spoke on: "He summoned me today, in the morning. To tell me that your company had not returned to the South. Did you know it?"

She did, of course, but it had been a secret. Not any longer, it seemed: Viglund's spies had discovered the truth, or at least part of it, and now he had told Guthred. She nodded, and explained: "Lord Viglund said it yesterday. I guess they are trying to capture his escaped thrall." A lie, but it was to protect him. For if he knew the truth, and Viglund learned of it as well, he would be placed in a perilous position. Or so she thought: a justification for her dishonesty.

"Yet it has been more than a ten-day. For how long do they plan on continuing their hunt?"

"Until they find her, I suppose." replied Idunn, a little hesitantly. "They are nothing if not persistent, and capable. They would not return empty-handed."

"Truly?" Guthred said, and narrowed his eyes. His skepticism was evident, and Idunn wondered if she should not simply give up the pretense and just tell the truth. He seemed different from his chief, and almost appeared to disagree on some matters. And he had been a good host; he had done nothing to earn her mistrust.

The Thane paused for a while before he continued, scratching his chin, as if one in thought. When he spoke again, he commanded her attention fully-if not so instantly, then certainly after his first few words.

"My men say they passed through Black Tom's, and for a while stayed there. Black Tom said they were accompanied by a woman, but when they departed they left you behind. Strange, wouldn't you say?"

At that moment she froze, and even her sharp wits afforded her no clever retort to the implication. So he had caught her in a lie... perhaps not her lie, not exactly, but the situation was certainly suspicious. At length she opened her mouth and tried to feign confusion, asking questions that she knew were pointless. Guthred dismissed them with a wave of his hand.

"You know the truth. Even if you did not from the beginning, it must be plain to you now."

Idunn tried to insist stubbornly. She was truly the kin of Thane Merovech. "Perhaps... perhaps they captured her, and were planning their course of action? Or perhaps they were won over by her arguments? If she were to be returned here... Viglund would not let this go unpunished. It would be a death sentence for her. You understand this, do you not?"

At that moment, he seemed to forget her feeble attempts at deception, and he merely nodded grimly, in full agreement. Of course it would be death. He had witnessed the executions. He knew Viglund well. Precious or not, Elfwyn would not survive if returned.

Idunn sensed her opportunity. "They are likely planning, or negotiating some kind of agreement with lord Beorn. I know them well. They would not simply abandoned her to her fate. And," she added, and dared to reveal a little of her own thoughts on the matter, "I cannot say that I blame them. I would do the same."

Guthred sighed. He seemed to have no desire to be dragged into this tangled web of deception and diplomacy. He had no stomach for it. Nor did he wish to weigh in on the subject, or be forced to take sides. Still, he knew more... and not all of what the huntress had said made sense to him.

"I do not think it is as you say. My men report that your companions continued northwards after their departure, despite Black Tom's warnings." He looked at her directly in the eyes, and urged her: "Can you cease with the lies and the half-truths. and tell me all that you know? This would be much easier if you did."

She paused, and looked back at him only briefly, and avoided his gaze with some small measure of guilt. Could she trust him? He was a friend, yes, but their time together had been brief. And he was also a Thane to his lord, and owed him loyalty. She did not fear him, but Viglund was another matter entirely. And so she hesitated, and stood at the crossroad, unsure of what path to take: to continue lying, trying as best she could to explain away all the reports and contradictions, or to simply speak the truth and be done with it all?

spacer.pngspacer.pngWhen Idunn spoke next, she had made her decision. But the first words that she spoke were not of her companions, or of Elfwyn, or of their task to the North. Instead, she sought only to know of a few practical matters.

She seemed as serious as she had ever been.

"Your men. Do you trust them fully? Or do you think that they have already brought these news to Viglund?"

It did not make sense to her. If Viglund had been privy to this information, and especially of the implication that Elfwyn was already with her companions, then surely her audience would have gone differently. But if not... then this could mean one thing only. Was Guthred withholding information from his lord? But... that was treason. Or, at the very least, Viglund would certainly see it as such.

"I do." he replied just as sternly. "They are old friends, and their loyalty is to me first, and not to Viglund. Black Tom is an old friend as well. He bares no love for our chief." He paused, and added something-as if to reassure her, or perhaps reassure himself? "If Viglund knew any of it, we would both be in chains now. Of this I am certain."

Even one as Guthred was not immune to fear. This situation was dangerous, and he knew that his chief would view this as a conspiracy. They had to be careful if they wished to come out of it unscathed. Idunn looked at him and nodded faintly. She understood.

"You would not believe me, even if I told you." she admitted at length. "The truth is far stranger than even your wildest imaginings. Viglund has no part in it, strange though that may seem."

"Can you cease speaking in riddles and tell it, and be done with it?" was the response Guthred could muster, and despite his self-control, his voice rose in anger, even if it were only for a moment. He looked about him and out the window, worried for spies, and worried about waking Aestid.

Idunn too looked worriedly about her. When at last it was confirmed that none was alerted to their talk, she took a deep breath and begun. "We were sent here by Beorn's Thanes. In this matter we have said all, to you and Viglund both. Yet this alone is not the only reason for our presence.

My company, myself included, has been plagued by dreams. Strange dreams, intense and life-like, drawing us to the North. Here and beyond. Ask me to explain and I will give no answers, for I do not understand them. But we always see a tower to the far North, one that stands near Gundabad. It is there, we believe, that we must go."

For a while Guthred looked at her quietly, and she could not tell if he were contemplating the revelation, or merely thought her a fool. "I told you you would not believe me." she addmitted. "It seems like lies, yet it is the truth."

"I believe you well enough, Idunn." retorted Guthred. "For how long have you been having these dreams?"

"Ever since we departed from Beorn's lands. It has been nearly a month now. The dreams do not come every night; indeed, they are rare, and seem to visit by chance."

Guthred turned to look at his feet for a while. "The tower is real, or so the tales would have me believe. I have not seen it myself, but I have heard of it. Know you the meaning of the dreams?"

The woodswoman shook her head. "Not fully," she admitted, "but I and some of my companions sought the counsel of lady Mab before coming here. That is why we were late. She is the wise old woman that lives in the woods by the Rushdown." she explained, but she needn't to. Guthred knew of her.

"And what did she say?"

"Much." she replied plainly, and continued. "That we may have been chosen for some task that we do not comprehend... That the dreams might be sendings of Eru, the Creator, and that we would all be granted a choice before the end, but as to its exact nature... even the wise woman knew nothing. As I said, I do not understand any of it fully. Yet she did say that the tower is real, and ancient, and seemed to know of its history. She said we ought to seek out Hwalda, a hill-woman who knows the Vales well, and has seen the tower herself."

"And it is this that your companions are searching for while you remain here a guest?"

"Yes." she admitted at last. "I dreamt of them a week ago. A strange dream akin to the waking world, in which I could speak to them. They seemed well enough at the time. Yet I have not had a dream since, and I know nothing about how they are faring. It is a dangerous land to the North, full of foes and perils. Yet I trust in their ability to see it through."