Player 2, Zorian Arakan, Half-elf Paladin

Player 3, Yopine Quietclock, Deep Gnome Ranger

Download complete

Simulation is ready... initiating!

~~~

Date: Kythorn 1 (19 days to Midsummer)

Time: Early Morning

~~~

It has been a couple of days since you arrived at Oakhurst. You've come to this village because over the course of your adventuring lives you have heard of a strange tale that has tickled your adventurer senses. For the last decade at every midsummer, a goblins tribe, who has infected the nearby ruin, the sunless citadel, has been selling a magical fruit to the highest bidder. This perfectly hued apple is supposed to be able to heal those who suffer from any disease or other ailment. However any attempts to grow this fruit from its seeds have wound up in a strange failure as within two months the sprout disappears without a trace.

You have come to possibly acquire the fruit for yourself or someone else or maybe you have come to explore the Sunless Citadel ruins which are rumored to be the old lair of an ancient dragon cult sunk into a lonely and desolate ravine. Whatever your reason, you are here now and have just woken up to a sunny day at the Ol' Boar Inn,

The morning is peaceful but it feels like it's going to be a scorcher. The Barkeep/Owner Garon is just serving up some local breakfast

What are you all up to?

Yopine awoke quietly and still, her instincts immediately reminding her of the strange surroundings. She took in what she could without opening her eyes and shook off the haze of sleep. Right. Oakhurst, Ol' Boar Inn, goblins. The hunter in her was up to speed, though it bristled at having to reside in some place so public. The village wasn't exactly overrun with abandoned warehouses, though. She'd had no choice. It also bristled at the comfort. After months of cold floors dodging The Guild, her mattress felt like a nigh inescapable prison of warmth and false security.

It bristled most at the thought of the goblins. Last year some of those apples had been purchased for a few of her favorite infirmaries. She'd helped with the charity drive that made it possible. Those apples somehow ended up in the hands of The Guild, who of course sold them to the highest bidder, and a couple of orphans who could have been saved weren't. This year she was determined to find out why and make sure it never happened again.

She moved from the bed, surprised again at condition as she'd removed her armor the night before. It just seemed wrong to wear the grimy, studded leather in a real bed with clean sheets. She felt vulnerable without it despite the security of the room, but Yopine wanted to savor the lack of its burden while she could. She'd clean it as well as she always could before putting it back on. Right now she wanted to get on with her morning preparations.

On instinct, she reached for her bag of leftover Goodberries for breakfast. Maybe they didn't have much real nutritional value, but Yopine always felt better having one or two to start the day. Unfortunately she'd expended all of her spells just getting to the village and had none available. So fine, mortal breakfast it would be. Whatever was waiting for her smelled delicious anyway.

Next up was a few minutes of crossbow practice. She'd almost gotten the hang of it. It was a good weapon, reliable and quiet, but so slow with two really tricky parts to loading. First, the bolt had to be in her hand before she needed to load. That required a lot of awareness and forethought. It was easier when actually in the rhythm of fire-load-repeat. She just needed to coordinate movements between both hands.

After that it was a matter of pulling the cocking lever and slotting the bolt in the same movement. That's where the second tricky part came in. There was so much movement involved that Yopine always lost her target and had to take time to re-aim. Soon, though, she'd have it under control. Until then she'd have to rely on the more simple, but more cumbersome, short bow and quiver.

She continued with the exercise until fully awake. The pangs of hunger were hitting her now. Yopine decided to get through the rest of her ablutions quickly and headed downstairs. She debated on whether or not breakfast would really require her to arm and armor herself. It seemed a little extreme, but without knowing what the day would hold she wanted to be ready. With her gear prepped, the little gnome headed downstairs.

Zorian Arakan (Half-elf Paladin 3) sheetspacer.png

AC: 20 | HP: 31/31 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 12 | Features

Zorian slept well at the inn. He was certain the hunters from his tribe wouldn't look in a civilized tavern. They're probably out in the woods now looking for him. But he's running low on gold and silver and needs to find a way to make some more soon, and it's probably best to try some new business opportunities while the leaves are still on the trees. By the time the snows arrive, he needs to have a plan for surviving the winter.

He puts on his armor, covers it with his cloak, makes his way downstairs and hands over a few silver for a plate of eggs and bacon with a piece of sourdough bread loaded with thick creamed butter. He takes a mug of water to wash it down and looks around at the other patrons, mostly merchants and farmers. But the gnome woman stands out to him. Her studded leather armor looks well worn. Her bows are carried professionally. Perhaps she might be interested in finding some treasure with him. He walks over with his plate in one hand and his water in the other.

"Good morning. Zorian Arakan. Just passing through and looking for... work." The pause before he says work indicates that he's more of an adventurer than a laborer, testing whether she might be interested in joining together for a while. He knows he can't explore the Sunless Citadel by himself, but maybe if someone else is interested in treasure hunting, they could split the profits.

Mechanics

Main Hand: empty
Off Hand: Shield

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

image.jpeg.7aa2055f5c993a7d0fdfca31d48cb3f8.jpegVanio Valgok - Dwarven Druid, Circle of the Mountain.

AC 15  | HP 27/27 | Init +1 Passive Perception 15 | Passive Insight 15 | Hit Dice 3d8 | sheet

Waking up from a good night's sleep at the Ol' Boar Inn, Vanio got out of the comfortable bed and started to stretch all of his muscles. That was really the only consistent part of his morning routine. He put on his clothes and took his quarterstaff, ready to go down for breakfast. His stomach was rumbling. He was the type of guy that was always hungry. Breakfast meant a lot to him and skipping it could have a big impact on his mood.

Vanio had travelled to Oakhurst to explore the Sunless Citadel and was expected to report his findings back to the archeologists he worked for at home, in the mountains. All pieces or traces they could get of ancient dragon lore were very important for their research. The dwarf had arrived in Oakhurst a few days earlier, but hadn't gotten to his mission yet. Today, however, would be the perfect day for that.

As Vanio headed downstairs and entered the room were the breakfast would be served, he passed by a paladin and a ranger. He ignored them at first, but couldn't help overhearing what the paladin told the gnome. He gets himself a plate loaded with food and sits down at a table nearby, trying to hear if he can pick up any interesting information about the site he is supposed to be investigate while eating slowly.

The first thing the typically struck people on meeting Yopine was her age. Not quite an adult by gnomish standards, any delicate features that might have been mistaken for beauty at a distance were betrayed close-up as just the freshness of youth. She was young for having such an intensity in her gaze. Those Coming from anyone else it might be considered intimidating. Seeing it on this little girl made it more precocious than anything else.

Her short, white hair was somewhat arranged if not actually combed. Her deep blue skin was clean and unblemished. She smelled like almost nothing at all, subtle tricks gleaned from her underdark heritage and perfected by hunting thieves removing as much scent as possible from both her body and equipment. When the girl moved she did so quietly and with precision rather than expressively. She took Zorian in from head to toe.

The words I work alone tried to growl their way to her lips. She cut them off before they could be spoken and considered. He was obviously an adventurer. She actually did work with them from time to time. Generally reliable, usually skilled, and this guy looked like a good fighter. Motivated by either money, noble causes, or just the lifestyle itself. If Zorian was up for chasing after stolen apples, Yopine was pretty sure she could use him. As another of what she considered to be the adventuring type passed by, she spoke with a voice too cocky for such an immature face. The impact was slightly grating.

"Yeah, I think we could work together. Depends on how you feel about Goblins."

Zorian eats slowly, savoring the salty pork. He finds the goblin woman fascinating. She looks young, but he doesn't ask her age, unsure if it would be insulting to ask a gnome her age. They probably get asked that their whole lives due to their size and their magical background that seems to keep them from aging, much like the elves he grew up with.

"Goblins, huh? I've met some raised in civilized society that had good hearts, but raised in the wild by other goblins, they become feral and cruel. I always hope to help anyone find the light, but feral goblins are a menace to the good people here, and unfortunately, they probably need to be exterminated."

Mechanics

Off Hand: empty

The reply had been one of the better ones that Yopine tended to hear. Having been on the receiving end of racism often enough she wasn't happy to see it applied to others. Even she was aware of the vicious reputation held by goblins in the wild, though. It might be a fair view. She'd have to meet a few of them to find out.

"Good answer." She nodded sharply and started moving towards the food herself. "A goblin by the name of Ol' Gibblin runs a bodega I go to all the time. Nice guy. Always gives exact change, and helps his neighbors. Being bad don't always come from the blood."

Her speech had a strange accent. She'd learned common on the streets while living in areas common to wide varieties of cultures. Just about every one of them had left an impression.

"There's a bunch around here selling miracle cures in the form of apples. They seem decent enough from what I've seen, but I think they might be cheating folks. Either that or bandits hitting up customers on the way home. Feel like finding out which?"

Zorian continues to eat, looking around the room as he talks with Yopine. He notices the dwarf sitting close and apparently listening in on the conversation, but first turns back to the gnome in front of him.

"Sure. Then if it goes well, maybe we could investigate the ruins not far from here. There's rumored to be treasure still hidden in there."

He then glances back at the dwarf to see if that sparked any interest. Dwarves are known to be interested in treasure, after all.

Mechanics

Yopine Quietclock (Deep Gnome Ranger 3) Sheet spacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | Features

Yopine follows his gaze towards the other adventurer, picking up on his train of thought.

"Aye, the ruins are on my list." She too watched for the Dwarf's reaction. "If it's what I expect, then there's probably some reps from a Thieves Guild keeping an outpost there. I'd like to have a word with any that might be hanging around there."

OOC

Mechanics

Edited by PixCO
Updating to the latest format. (see edit history)

Vanio Valgok - Dwarven Druid, Circle of the Mountain.

image.jpeg.7aa2055f5c993a7d0fdfca31d48cb3f8.jpegAC 15  | HP 27/27 | Init +1 Passive Perception 15 | Passive Insight 15 | Hit Dice 3d8 | sheet

When the two mentioned the ruins, Vanio was indeed very interested. Now aware of the fact that the two had probably noticed him listening in, it was best to talk to them. He had almost finished the big pile of food anyway. Maybe they could help eachother. He scraped his throat.
"Excuse me, I heard you're headed to the ruins of the citadel. How would you feel about heading there together? I'm not really familiar with the area to be honest, but I also have some business to take care of around there."

Edited by BlackFinch (see edit history)

AC: 15 | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | Passive Insight: 15 | | Features

Yopine considered his reply. This was starting to sound like one of those things... The kind of event that was a lot bigger than it seems. Adventurers were always interesting in that way. They drifted towards Big Trouble like magnets.

"Hrm... I guess I could start with the ruins. I'm hunting thieves, ones responsible for a couple of innocent deaths. I know they were out here last year, but they're not in town now. 'Found some old marks on the outskirts that translated to Meet At Site B. Copper to crystals, I'm betting Site B was the ruins. It's how they operate. I was going to infiltrate the goblins first. 'See if someone was shorting orders and selling on the side. But I could check for a campsite first, sure."

Granted, the little hunter hadn't found any evidence that they would or did return this year. But Guilds never let a profitable business slip through their greedy fingers. If they made money last year, they'd be back for this harvest.

Mechanics

Zorian shakes the hands of his new friends. They seem honest enough. And hopefully reliable. Who knows what we'll find in those ruins. They certainly have gear that seems to demonstrate some level of experience, and they both seem pleasant, even the dwarf.

"Welcome to our little group. I'm Zorian. It's nice to meet you both."

He hopes this might be the beginning of a long and profitable friendship.

Mechanics

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

AC: 15 | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | Passive Insight: 15 | | Features

"Yopine Quietclock." Spoke the Gnome. Her dainty hand extending in greeting. "Since I'm running this out of order now, I left my map to the ruins in my room. Thought I was going to be dealing with the sellers today. Sounds like you might already know the way?"

This last was back to the Druid. Zorian might just be looking for work, but the other sounded like he knew where he was going. Not being the least familiar with whatever 'Site B' had been, assuming it was even still being used, Yopine decided that having a guide was always a good idea. This time, at least.

Mechanics

Vanio Valgok - Dwarven Druid, Circle of the Mountain.

image.jpeg.7aa2055f5c993a7d0fdfca31d48cb3f8.jpegAC 15  | HP 27/27 | Init +1 Passive Perception 15 | Passive Insight 15 | Hit Dice 3d8 | sheet

Vanio was amazed at how quick the other two were to put their trust in complete strangers. He took his time to take a good look at time while they were talking. The elf looked like a regular adventurer to him, the gnome stood out a bit. She looked like she hadn't even fully matured yet, but she talked like she knew what she was doing. Before he had had the time to respond, they had skipped over to introductions. It would be very impolite to not tell anything about himself now, so he did.

"My name is Vanio Valgok. I'm a druid, but even more an archeologist. I have travelled here to investigate the Sunless Citadel, or what is left of it. Nice to meet you both."

Now, having that out of the way he finally saw a chance to ask for more information, because the druid figured that it would be a good thing to know a thing or two before running off mindlessly into a possibly dangerous situation. He turned to Yopine first.

"Thief hunting, you said? Aren't you a little young to be involved in that kind of action? Ah well, that's none of my business anyway and at least you have a plan. I know what way we have to travel to get to the ruins, but I have never been there before and have no idea of what state it is in. I was hoping to find out some information about that first by asking around a bit, but haven't had much luck with it. These goblins you mentioned, maybe they will have some useful information for us?"

Then he turned to the half-elf.

"Have you been to the ruins before? Do you reckon we can just run in? Are you also a thief-hunter?"

Edited by BlackFinch (see edit history)

At the mentioning of her age, a profound look of guilt flashed across Yopine's features. A tiny fist set the end of a slender wrist raised itself and came down, hard, on the solid wood surface of the table. It wasn't impressed, though a few nearby pieces of cutlery moved uncertainly. They shimmered as if something impressive had almost happened.

"Aye. That I surely was."

The mood passed quickly, however, and she refocused her sharply friendly gaze back to the paladin and waited for his response.

Mechanics