Questions Thread

Kylia Quilor

3 minutes ago, Laird_Thorne said:

(This was regarding the Bladebound Magus)

Would the Blade Adept Arcanist be viable? It has the Black Blade like the Bladebound Magus, but definitely is less of a warrior.

I didn't even know that Blade Adept existed. Or at least, I forgot entirely.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that's also not allowed. I appreciate you checking.

4 hours ago, Kylia Quilor said:

I didn't even know that Blade Adept existed. Or at least, I forgot entirely.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that's also not allowed. I appreciate you checking.

Not a problem, thanks for the quick response. :)

One thought, what about the Exploits themselves and converting Sword Bond ability to an Exploit?

Proposed Exploits

Sword Bond (Su): The caster develops a bond with a blade and infuses it with arcane power. This ability works like a wizard’s arcane bond ability save that the caster must bond to a one-handed piercing or slashing melee weapon.

Eldritch Blade: (Requires Sword Bond exploit) A caster with this exploit uses her caster level instead of her class level for the purpose of advancing her bonded sword’s powers.

Magus Arcana: (Requires: Arcane Reservoir ability, Sword Bond exploit) The caster can select any of the following magus arcana, using her arcane reservoir in place of the magus’s arcane pool: arcane accuracy, close range, critical strike, dispelling strike, and hasted assault. The blade adept treats her caster level as her magus level when determining the effects of magus arcana and when specific arcana are available. A caster can take this exploit multiple times. Each time it is taken, it applies to a different magus arcana.

Spell Strike (Su): (Requires: Sword Bond exploit) The caster can deliver touch spells with her bonded weapon. This works as the magus ability of the same name.

Student of the Blade (Ex): (Requires: Sword Bond exploit) A caster can choose from any of the following bonus feats: Arcane Strike, Weapon Finesse, and Weapon Focus (in the weapon she is bonded to). This exploit can be taken multiple times. Each time it is taken, it applies to a different feat.

Weapon Specialization (Ex): (Requires: Sword Bond exploit, 6th level caster) The caster gains Weapon Specialization with her chosen weapon as a bonus feat. The caster does not need to meet the prerequisites for this feat, but must have the Weapon Focus feat with her chosen weapon to select this exploit. The caster must be at least 6th level to select this exploit.

22 hours ago, Kylia Quilor said:

... it's Pathfinder. It's Faerun. Evil as a capital E cosmic Principle exists. The 'discrimination' card doesn't remotely apply. And this isn't a question of hiring day laborers, this is about highly highly skilled people for matters connected to the Security of the Realm.

Well, not knowing exactly what we're being hired for or how, I'll have to defer to you on that one, though that was kind of what I was thinking anyway: national security is rather too important to jeopardise with issues of mere morality. But anyway, that actually raises another question for me: is there anything else we should know about the hiring process? If the reason for "no evil" is that they're screening such people out one way or another, is there anything else we should be thinking about in terms of creating characters who would actually be chosen for the mission?

I'm just spitballing ideas at the moment but am looking at "Realmsian" PrCs which might make for an interesting Faerun-themed character.

Would the Windwalker from Faiths and Pantheons be OK? It has Track as a prereq which is gone in PF, so I don't know whether that would just be waived or replaced with something else? Also, if it is allowed, would you allow a spontaneous divine caster also to get the Air and Travel spells (or at least prepare them in slots, same as Cleric or Druids)?

How about the Heartwarder (same book)? It has a touch of shonky editing in that it grants Spell Focus (Enchantment) but also grants (a limited version of) it, but that doesn't come up until L6 (so ECL 11 at a minimum) anyway.

1 hour ago, Laird_Thorne said:

Not a problem, thanks for the quick response. :)

One thought, what about the Exploits themselves and converting Sword Bond ability to an Exploit?

Proposed Exploits

Sword Bond (Su): The caster develops a bond with a blade and infuses it with arcane power. This ability works like a wizard’s arcane bond ability save that the caster must bond to a one-handed piercing or slashing melee weapon.

Eldritch Blade: (Requires Sword Bond exploit) A caster with this exploit uses her caster level instead of her class level for the purpose of advancing her bonded sword’s powers.

Magus Arcana: (Requires: Arcane Reservoir ability, Sword Bond exploit) The caster can select any of the following magus arcana, using her arcane reservoir in place of the magus’s arcane pool: arcane accuracy, close range, critical strike, dispelling strike, and hasted assault. The blade adept treats her caster level as her magus level when determining the effects of magus arcana and when specific arcana are available. A caster can take this exploit multiple times. Each time it is taken, it applies to a different magus arcana.

Spell Strike (Su): (Requires: Sword Bond exploit) The caster can deliver touch spells with her bonded weapon. This works as the magus ability of the same name.

Student of the Blade (Ex): (Requires: Sword Bond exploit) A caster can choose from any of the following bonus feats: Arcane Strike, Weapon Finesse, and Weapon Focus (in the weapon she is bonded to). This exploit can be taken multiple times. Each time it is taken, it applies to a different feat.

Weapon Specialization (Ex): (Requires: Sword Bond exploit, 6th level caster) The caster gains Weapon Specialization with her chosen weapon as a bonus feat. The caster does not need to meet the prerequisites for this feat, but must have the Weapon Focus feat with her chosen weapon to select this exploit. The caster must be at least 6th level to select this exploit.

Sure, that could work.

15 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Can I ask what the year is in game? I'm looking at timelines and I don't know where to start.

1378 DR, but several things that happened in canon didn't in this version of the realms, https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/11689-recent-history-and-the-state-of-the-realms/#comment-155048

1 hour ago, TheFred said:

Well, not knowing exactly what we're being hired for or how, I'll have to defer to you on that one, though that was kind of what I was thinking anyway: national security is rather too important to jeopardise with issues of mere morality. But anyway, that actually raises another question for me: is there anything else we should know about the hiring process? If the reason for "no evil" is that they're screening such people out one way or another, is there anything else we should be thinking about in terms of creating characters who would actually be chosen for the mission?

The 'no evil' rule isn't about the hiring process. I just don't want evil characters in this campaign. I think that you'd have gotten detect evil cast on you at some point, and yes, technically there are ways to avoid that, but it doesn't matter. I'm not sure why you're niggling so hard at this point. There isn't a hiring process that you know of. The adventure will open with you guys being contacted by someone (someone you owe a favor to, or a friend, or just by the person who will be patroning the adventure) asking you to meet with General Viidon and hear out the job offer. But Viidon is not going to contact people or have people contacted who are evil.

And again, I, as GM, I don't want evil characters for this campaign. I thought that was pretty obvious. Why are you harping on this?

4 minutes ago, TheFred said:

Would the Windwalker from Faiths and Pantheons be OK? It has Track as a prereq which is gone in PF, so I don't know whether that would just be waived or replaced with something else? Also, if it is allowed, would you allow a spontaneous divine caster also to get the Air and Travel spells

Yes, we could just waive track and you can get the spells but no domain slot.

5 minutes ago, TheFred said:

How about the Heartwarder (same book)? It has a touch of shonky editing in that it grants Spell Focus (Enchantment) but also grants (a limited version of) it, but that doesn't come up until L6 (so ECL 11 at a minimum) anyway.

Allowed, and let's just say you you get greater Spell focus (Enchantment) at 6th level, but the limited version.

OK, cool.

14 minutes ago, Kylia Quilor said:

I'm not sure why you're niggling so hard at this point.

Why are you harping on this?

I'm... not? In my last post I rather tried to move on from it and asked you another question instead. In fact, I did in the post before that, too (I literally said "Your game, though, so no worries."); I only continued the discussion because you did.

At the end of the day, it's your game; I may disagree, but you can do what you want. If I disagree vehemently enough I just won't apply for your game but "no evil" is hardly a dealbreaker for me.

8 hours ago, Civit said:

Are characters from Kara-Tur ok?

They are, but I'm going to need a really good backstory. There's communities of Kara Turans in places like Thesk, so your character could be descended from them, if you wanted, which would make it easier to explain then why they came *all the way* from Kara Tur, but it's up to you.

I've discovered that Pathfinder's James Jacobs was inspired by Eilistraee in his development of Sarenrae. Outside the domains which may be easier to just pick up and translate from 3.5e or 5e, I was thinking we could revise/reflavour some Sarenrae-aligned non-fire/sun-related feats that may align with Eilistraee's portfolio.

Specifically, for one of my concepts, I could see Dervish Dance (and archetypes that include it) recast for using the bastard sword (Eilistraee's favoured weapon) as follows:

Sword Dancing

You have learned to turn your speed into power, even with a heavier blade.

Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Weapon Finesse (Elephant in the Room), Perform (dance) 2 ranks, proficient with bastard sword.

Benefit: When wielding a bastard sword with one hand, you can use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on melee attack and damage rolls. You treat the bastard sword as a one-handed piercing weapon for all feats and class abilities that require such a weapon (such as a duelist’s precise strike ability). The bastard sword must be for a creature of your size. You cannot use this feat if you are carrying a weapon or shield in your off hand.

Would this work?

15 minutes ago, DarkNetwerk said:

I've discovered that Pathfinder's James Jacobs was inspired by Eilistraee in his development of Sarenrae. Outside the domains which may be easier to just pick up and translate from 3.5e or 5e, I was thinking we could revise/reflavour some Sarenrae-aligned non-fire/sun-related feats that may align with Eilistraee's portfolio.

Specifically, for one of my concepts, I could see Dervish Dance (and archetypes that include it) recast for using the bastard sword (Eilistraee's favoured weapon) as follows:

Sword Dancing

You have learned to turn your speed into power, even with a heavier blade.

Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Weapon Finesse (Elephant in the Room), Perform (dance) 2 ranks, proficient with bastard sword.

Benefit: When wielding a bastard sword with one hand, you can use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on melee attack and damage rolls. You treat the bastard sword as a one-handed piercing weapon for all feats and class abilities that require such a weapon (such as a duelist’s precise strike ability). The bastard sword must be for a creature of your size. You cannot use this feat if you are carrying a weapon or shield in your off hand.

Would this work?

Absolutely would work

And very TIL Very cool of James Jacobs to do that.

Edited by Kylia Quilor (see edit history)