Sunday before Thanksgiving

pesukarhu

Create advantage

My plan was to create the distracted aspect so that the others could tag it during this action (the one they used to get in just now). Not sure this went as planned, because obviously you replied after them. I didn't think of that...

Coalfire

Diana has heard her fair share of obnoxious and repetitive arguments from execs and talking heads in the past, but that one tops it. She frowns a bit then goes full death-by-logic.

After a dramatic pause, she keeps talking in defiance of what the farmer just said.

"Dear friends, salt of the earth, I couldn't agree more. You touch my heart strings. Feels so good to hear a kindred spirit".

She tries to hug the man. Secondary goal is to unset his ridiculous hat a bit and peek under to see if there could be some gizmo on his head. But also to actually elicit a contradictory reaction.

"Know that you're not alone. We are powerful. We are... two-erful. We can change things. [shakes the man and look him in the eyes] Now tell me: where do you stand?? How are you going to fix this?? Why are you stuck inside??"

Two actionsIf that makes more sense, I can keep the hat-tipping for a follow-up action.

Edited by Tecmes (see edit history)
Name
Cleverly Overcome the control on the "inner voice". Tag distracted.
[+,-,+,+] +4 = 6
fate(4) 1,-1,1,1

Purple Dove & the Blue Blunder

Blue trundles up to Coalfire and the farmer, taking a moment to give them a sniff. He grabs at the farmer's pants leg and gives it a yank!

The farmer starts to take a step back, sputtering, but then Blue pulls on his pants leg and Coalfire goes in for a hug. Between the two of them, the lack of balance, and the Coalfire nudging his hat, the hat comes clean off, revealing a shiny metallic mesh stretched across his head! Like the partial one that was in the crate, it is studded with small orange crystals, but these are giving off a faint orange glow.

He doesn't seem to realize that his hat is off, but instead clumsily pushes Coalfire away. The crystals on his head flare. "No, it's too late for that! Dyson's must burn! Ahem, I mean, everything is fine here, you can go. Thank you. The fire is out, thank you. We have work to do."

The crystals flare again, there's a spark and a smell of ozone, but he continues, "Time to go, thank you."

Advantage, etcSince you got a good roll back then, I just let Inkwell and Purple Dove poke around and do what they wanted to without interference, since Coalfire had the farmer distracted. That's hand-wavy, but I didn't think we had to get into that much dice rolling.

Name
defend
[+,0,0,0] -1 = 0
fate(-1) 1,0,0,0

The heroine opens her mouth to say something to the man, before realization dawns on her. Oh geez, that can't be okay. Confusing him any further might hurt the guy, those crystals don't look at all comfortable on the noggin.

With long steps made on her tiptoes, Purple Dove approaches the man at an angle, quickly moving for his flank with a level of caution almost completely undermined by her rush to get to him. Blue is pushing the farmer around, dog pressing up against his legs and being a general annoyance. Nobody's told him to stop yet, and Violet isn't going to start now... though she probably should if he starts getting too rough. At least Blueberry's being gentle this time, most dogs would've tripped the poor guy by this point, though that might be because they're both not moving around much.

Standing behind the farmer, Purple Dove gives Blue a hand signal. The dog immediately goes back to pants-yanking, and right in tandem, the heroine leaps at the guy and tackles him to the ground! As carefully as she can, at least. She's not trying to hurt the guy!

"Help me get this thing off! He's being mind whammied!" She pins the old man down and scrabbles at his funky headwear, while her dog holds the guy in place by the legs, tugging at him. Although Violet's not that strong, she has ample experience in wrangling unruly creatures!

Edited by Niblooey
Forgot Violet was short, and made them less careful cause I just remembered why I made these two the way they are :p (see edit history)
Name
Forceful - Pin the guy down and stop that device!
[0,+,-,+] +3 = 4
fate(3) 0,1,-1,1

Violet & the Farmer

The farmer seems clumsy, stiff and awkward. Once Blue gets him off-balance, he goes down quickly under Violet's tackle.

With a quick grab, she yanks the metal mesh skullcap off the farmer's head! It's not held on by anything more than a stretchy fabric band running round the edges, so it comes off readily when pulled.

The farmer's eyes roll up into his head and he goes limp. The crystals in the mesh cap keep glowing orange, and a few sparks jump between the wires.

After a few seconds, he groans and stirs.

Name
defend
[-,0,+,+] -1 = 0
fate(-1) -1,0,1,1

image.png

Making sure to be still within shouting distance Inkwell would start to follow the tracks to determine where the large item was taken.

stats

• Careful good +1
  • Clever fair +2
  • Flashy average +1
  • Forceful average +3
  • Quick mediocre +0
  • Sneaky fair +2

powers

• Basic Elasticity: Your ink stretches to incredible lengths. By stretching the liquid , you can interact with objects and make melee attacks in an adjacent zone without moving. Additionally, you can contort the ink into rough approximations of animals, objects, and tools, although the mass doesn't change.
  • enhancement: Natural Weapon: Your ink like projections can turn into blades, hammers, clubs…all manner of built-in weaponry.
  • enhancement: invisibility: this is more like camouflage where she can change the color of the ink to match the environment around her wont stand up to close inspection
  • Basic Natural Weapon: You have some sort of built-in weaponry, whether it be claws or crackling energy that surrounds your fists. You gain +2 to Fight while brawling unarmed in close quarters.

drawback her physical form is actually quite weak

stunts

• Grappler. +2 to Physique rolls made to create advantages on an enemy by wrestling or grappling with them. (Fate Core, p.119)

STRESS OOO

CONSEQUENCES

Mild (2):

Moderate (4):

Severe (6):

REFRESH: 2

Edited by drealynn (see edit history)
Name
tracking clever
[+,+,0,0] +2 = 4
fate(2) 1,1,0,0

Behind the workshop

Following the drag marks on the ground, Inkwell finds a narrow trail leading up the hill behind the farm. It looks like something heavy was dragged out of the building, up to the trail, but then the marks stop abruptly. However, there you find some enormous avian footprints, perhaps 20" long, pressed solidly into the soil of the trail. Those marks lead up the trail, and now that you're looking for it, you can see several other sets of tracks, heading back and forth, just not as deep-set as the ones you first found.

You think you can still hear what's going on in the farmyard for a little ways up the trail. It curves around an outcropping and ends near a large cave mouth, probably 15 feet tall and 20 feet wide that shows signs of having been enlarged. Here, though, you feel like if you go farther, you'd be out of shouting range.

Diana

Seeing has the poor man wouldn't be in a condition to answer questions, and her paramedic skill about as high as her lumberjack's, she suggests to entrust the farmer to the firemen - though Purple might have a better idea!

Assuming Inkwell is forwarding her discovery, she would follow her after turning on the newly-acquired Dim Flashlight app on her phone, because those DELs are way too bright to convey the proper atmosphere.

Purple Dove rolls him onto his back, Blue helping out. The heroine examines his eyes, and gives him a small flick on the nose to see if he reacts much.

"Hey Blue, does he seem alright to you?" Maybe he can smell a concussion. He's discovered a lot of weird medical issues using his nose.

She crawls off the poor guy to give Blue some room to check him over.

Purple Dove takes a moment to look over the newly liberated hat, stretching it out in her hands and comparing it to the one she nabbed from the boxes earlier. Very sproingy, nice material.

"Wonder what this thing's all about," she mutters. Some kind of signal, maybe? Blue's not smart enough to analyze signals much, even if he uses his super senses to try and differentiate between them, though she does have some fancy sensory gear that might be related. Hmm...

Diana

Diana can easily find the trail up the hillside and catch up to where Inkwell is standing. The cave mouth is just on the other side of an outcropping, so it's not visible from the farm. It's up a good bit, and the farm looks small from here, but not so far that a shout wouldn't carry.

Blue sniffs at the farmer and, other than a bit of an electrical smell, doesn't pick up on anything unusual.

The mesh cap from inside the farmer's hat looks like a more complete version of what was in the boxes. That one wasn't a full dome and had some loose trailing wires. This one seems like a finished product.

The farmer groans and stirs. He starts to sit up, thinks better of it and lies back down. While on his back, he says, "Ow. Oh. Oh, what has she done now? That's just made it worse."

"Sorry about that, mister. I don't like taking chances with mind control. Learned that lesson a while ago." Blue barks in agreement.

Purple Dove plops down on the ground, next to the old farmer. She gestures with the hat. "You want to talk about whatever that was about? Or do you need a break? Sorry if all the questions earlier were stressing you out, if I'd known I would've stopped the questioning sooner."

Farmer Adams

The farmer lies on the ground for a few seconds, then turns his head gingerly towards Purple Dove and looks at the hat. "Oh, that thing. Thomasina said it'd help with my headaches. Last thing I remember was deciding I'd give it a try. I mean, might as well humor her, right? What's the harm? Then I wake up here."

"I smell smoke. She's done something terrible, I suppose?"

"Oh, for sure. There was a fire going on just over there," Dove points with her hat-hand, cap flopping about, "And when people questioned you on it, you were bouncing between acting real angry and parroting from script of some sort, like you kept changing your mind mid-phrase.Your hat did some mind control, I think, and it wasn't very gentle about it. It made you cover things up, looks like the fire was getting rid of evidence for some scheme."

Purple Dove rubs at her shoulder. "Who is Thomasina? Some kind of headache doctor? Sounds like she got you tangled up in something nasty."

image.png

Inkwell ambles back to to the group in mid conversation making sure to wait patiently before interjecting "There's a cave something large was dragged onto up the hill do you know anything about it?" she would ask the farmer.

stats

• Careful good +1
  • Clever fair +2
  • Flashy average +1
  • Forceful average +3
  • Quick mediocre +0
  • Sneaky fair +2

powers

• Basic Elasticity: Your ink stretches to incredible lengths. By stretching the liquid , you can interact with objects and make melee attacks in an adjacent zone without moving. Additionally, you can contort the ink into rough approximations of animals, objects, and tools, although the mass doesn't change.
  • enhancement: Natural Weapon: Your ink like projections can turn into blades, hammers, clubs…all manner of built-in weaponry.
  • enhancement: invisibility: this is more like camouflage where she can change the color of the ink to match the environment around her wont stand up to close inspection
  • Basic Natural Weapon: You have some sort of built-in weaponry, whether it be claws or crackling energy that surrounds your fists. You gain +2 to Fight while brawling unarmed in close quarters.

drawback her physical form is actually quite weak

stunts

• Grappler. +2 to Physique rolls made to create advantages on an enemy by wrestling or grappling with them. (Fate Core, p.119)

STRESS OOO

CONSEQUENCES

Mild (2):

Moderate (4):

Severe (6):

REFRESH: 2

Posted (edited)
Farmer Adams

The farmer makes another attempt at sitting up and this time succeeds. He looks around at what's left of the farm buildings. "Well, that's a kicker. Ever have one of those dreams where you're in a slasher flick, but you still go off by yourself in the dark, even though you know better? Well, I still feel like I'm waking up. I knew I didn't want people poking around. I wasn't worried about the fire. Then it got worse."

You get the sense that he's still not quite all there. His voice is calm and low, with a slow rhythm to it, like reading a story to a child.

"Oh, and Thomasina? No, she's no doctor. She's one of my turkey hens. She's been a little funny ever since she got out of her yard and ran off last Thanksgiving. But she came back, she did. Eventually took over the maintenance machine shop, saved me tons in repair bills, she did, though I'm not sure why she needed all those parts."

Scratching his head, he continues, "Guess that sounds pretty weird, now that I say it. Don't know why I never questioned it, but I always kinda knew what she wanted. It was easier once she got that voice box doohickey, so she could talk regular."

He looks up to Inkwell. "I don't know about any big caves right nearby, but these hills are full of sinkholes and hollows and little ones. Usually there's some kinda animal living in there, even had a bear in one for a few seasons. And I know Thomasina had a few hobby projects in the back of the shop, but it didn't seem right to pry."

Edited by pesukarhu (see edit history)