Chapter 2: Where evil lurks

Michael

The last of the paladin party falls. There is a moment of eerie silence after the recent violence, then the violence resumes as the fiends surrender their base desire that has been mounting all this time, they fall upon the recently fallen, consuming flesh bone and in some cases spirit, before promptly falling into an insensate stupor. While Creed is simply unconscious, the other more fiendish fiends actually pupate, their outer skin hardening into a crystalline substance as they step into their next evolution.

An unknown time later, the group arouse from their slumber, with most cracking thin shells to emerge. They find themselves in a large, clearly underground, stone room.

The rough hewn rock is warm to the touch, suggesting a large heat source somewhere near by. The only obvious exit is barred by a metal bound, sturdy oak door.

The fiends rise to awareness one at a time, taking in their new surrounds.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)

Vrockv2.png.7061aa1e9941662b23152259ccde478f.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 2

HP: 21/21 | AC/Touch/FF: 17/13/14 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+3/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +6/+6/+6 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

Kerapsis breaks free of the shell, smiling as she flexes her wings. She's still a long way from what she used to be before the gate incident, but she relishes in the feeling that her wings can actually support her weight once again, at least for limited bursts.

Taking in her surroundings, Kerapsis hopes this is the safe location the witch discussed and that they weren't found by any stray good doers while in their evolutionary stupor.

OOC / Actions

Molgrug

Molgrug blinks as his his eyes adjust, then looks around, flicking pieces of shell away.

"Well, uhh... that was an, um, unusual experience," he muses. "It's, well, that's certainly never happened to me before!"

He pauses, thinking through his millennia of past memories.

"I did, I suppose, once suffer something rather similar once on an outing to the 66th layer - that's the Demonweb Pits, of course - I'm sure you're all familiar. Hmm... I once knew a fiend called... ah, what was his name now? Garagarzaraphel, I think it was... Gara... Garagazraphael? Hey, Kerapsis! Does "Garagarazaphil" sound like a real name to you?"

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2794812][B]Molgrug[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, [B]Init:[/B] +2 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16 [B]AC:[/B] 17, [B]Touch:[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 14 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison) [B]Soulmelds:[/B] Mage's Spectacles (1), Lightning Gauntlets (0) [B]Spells:[/B] Command x2, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water [B]Special:[/B] None
Molgrug
Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, Init: +2
HP: 16/16
AC: 17, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 14
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison)
Soulmelds: Mage's Spectacles (1), Lightning Gauntlets (0)
Spells: Command x2, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water
Special: None

Vrockv2.png.7061aa1e9941662b23152259ccde478f.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 2

HP: 21/21 | AC/Touch/FF: 17/13/14 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+3/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +6/+6/+6 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

Kerapsis nods tentatively, "Err, yeah I guess. I mean there's bound to be a demon named that somewhere."

She stretches her limbs and settles down into a crouch on the warm rough stone floor, as she waits for the rest of the fiends to come to.

"Nice glasses," she adds with a sly smile to Molgrug.

OOC / Actions

image.png.57103fdc7d22e2c93fab9e38b72337ff.png.569bb3cb42ffd9a2c1a19ea8f646de1d.pngWith a start Creed wakes, his eyes instantly popping open and taking in his surroundings. He hears the other two talking and rises slowly.

Well that was a damn rush he thought as he remembers drinking the paladins blood then passing out.

He takes a moment to look at his surroundings, noting the door and lack of anything else. His brain goes into overdrive considering the warm stone and where the witch was going to take them. I'm surprised she actually brought us anywhere and didn't slit our throats.

He looks over at Kerapsis and Molgrug. With a nod toward Kerapsis in greeting he eyes Molgrug. In a tone that made it unclear if he is joking or annoyed he notes. "Oh great. You survived."

Statblock

CREED
Level 2, HP 18/18, Speed 40ft /x4
AC 16, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13,
Fort 8, Ref 8, Will 3,
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition: Fast Healing 1 per minute
Senses: Low-light Vision 60ft, Spot/Listen +9, Init: +7

OOC

Creed ponders where they could be or if they are in a mountain/volcano etc. He also looks to clues in the room and eyes the walls for secret passages.

Name
Spot/Listen
1d20+9 17
Search
1d20+5 1
Knowledge (Arcana)
1d20+5 16
Knowledge (Nature)
1d20+10 7

Molgrug

Molgrug blinks as his his eyes adjust, then looks around, flicking pieces of shell away.

"Well, anyway, Garazagazaraphel… hmm, he’s probably dead now. Anyway, he was from the 67th layer of the Abyss.” Molgrug continues, unperturbed. "Quite a lot of those Hezrous on the 67th layer, actually… not the most, um, hygienic characters, admittedly, but I do know some interesting facts about Hezrous."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2794812][B]Molgrug[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, [B]Init:[/B] +2 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16 [B]AC:[/B] 17, [B]Touch:[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 14 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison) [B]Soulmelds:[/B] Mage's Spectacles (1), Lightning Gauntlets (0) [B]Spells:[/B] Command x2, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water [B]Special:[/B] None
Molgrug
Spells: Command x2, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water
Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

Brandisher.png.4abccf9766ad79862caaa7976666ebfe.png

Brandisher kicks pieces off of his shell and climbs out into the stone chamber.

His being is saturated with new purpose and force of will, and his fingertips seethe with necrotic malice.

He looks around at the others who have awakened.

"The jackal… grew spectacles?"

Show Statblock

Brandisher

Paladin of Tyranny lvl 2

Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision;

HP 24/24;

AC: 15; Touch: 10; Flat-Footed: 15;

Saves: Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +7; +4 vs Poison;

Resist Electricity 5

Molgrug

"These,Molgrug explains, waggling his spectacles, "are a magical construct to enhance my arcane and ocular capacities. There are actually formed from condensed... yes, well, they're magic. Don't worry about it."

Advanced meldshaping theory - heck, introductory magical theory of any kind - will probably have to wait until Brandisher has at least passed some classes in basic arithmetic.

"At any rate, this whole, um... experience... rather supports my theory!" He continues, growing more excited. He indicates the broken cocoon pieces, goop, and general detritus surrounding them. "They, ah, specific details are unusual and, I must confess, a little surprising... Indeed, we should take notes on our observations... I assume that the process has a higher T-number than I first anticipated... fascinating!"

Statblock

Molgrug
Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

Shillereese

image.png.6569c8b539de245a476281976ea8cfa6.pngHP 10/10  | AC 14 |  Fort 3 - Reflex 5 - Will 2  |  

Catching Up -

Upon awakening in the original cave, Shillereese was a bit more upset than the rest of y’all. Also, she curses quite a bit more. Through the tirade -where she seems to be quite angry at her wings- you sort out that she was a Lilitu and considers the return to Succubus as quite a demotion.

She does recover and regain control over her emotional state. Almost like turning off a switch. From that point, Shillereese is … Not exactly demure, but maintains a demeanor of grace and decorum.

Shillereese seems more inclined to endure Molgrugs rambling speeches. Depending on if there were actual chances to engage in discussion, she might even enter into conversation with him on purpose.

image.png.454c0735de5a96b8a5f88bfd2d0c57f1.pngHer combat contributions are Warlocke energies which she is skilled with despite being quite disparaging of them upon first hatching, She also returns to cursing and hurling obscenities along with eldritch bolts in combat. She traded her rags for a gown stolen from the Mayors whores which was packed in the crates. It did seem to make her less cranky.

Her feeding before chrysalis involved using her succubus kiss to drain a victim of life until the body turned to ash. Curling up in fetal position, shrouded in her wings and blacking out.

Second Awakening - Shillereese rolls out of the cracked shells and slime, standing up and stretching with wings fully extended. She then flaps them strongly to fling the goo and mucus away.

“I would trade your souls for a decent bath.” Shillereese grumbles after taking a moment to gather her bearings. “Or a cup of coffee.”

Unlike her fellow fiends, Shillereese has had to emulate mortal behavior on multiple occasions and had developed a taste for some mortal diversions. Coffee and Chocolate being the primary indulgences.

”Do you suppose that Witch is responsible for removing us from the field of battle to our current location? Or did some ignorant farmer discover our eggs laying amid those dead champions and store us away like fruit against the coming winter?”

OOC

Placeholder Formatting - Incorrect Information

Easiest way to intergrate seems like it would be the “been there all along”

This also allows a small bit of introductory babble

The cannibalism thing sort of squicks me out. Micheal allowed me an option.

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Did not engage with door because then we have to wait for Michel to return from the vineyard to find out what happens.

Molgrug

"Yes, well, just a moment.Molgrug says, only half-listening to the succubus. "I rather think it behoves us to document the, ah, observables... bless it, does anyone have a parchment or quill?"

He looks around futilely, patting himself as if hoping that writing implements might have appeared in some pocket as part of the cocooning process.

"Well, never mind... fortunately I have an excellent memory. Why, I could quote to you the entirety of the Thelmida Epica - in reverse! Ha ha! I am quite fond, actually, of the second act, which rather speaks to the fleeting nature of mortal agency and the futility of the pursuit of ultimate truth - wouldn't you say?"

Statblock

Molgrug

Shillereese

image.png.6569c8b539de245a476281976ea8cfa6.pngHP 10/10  | AC 14 |  Fort 3 - Reflex 5 - Will 2  |  

Shillereese pouts thoughtfully, arching an eyebrow.

”Well, I suppose if you have only a plebeian familiarity with the concepts involved one might come away with that impression.”

”When one has more than a surface level of understanding the nuances between anarchy and nihilism then you see the second act merely lays the groundwork for the revelations of the finale.”

She sighs with a rather great heave of her bosom. “But I suppose an orderly creature would have difficulty in grasping the subject in a meaningful fashion.”

Flipping her hair with a shrug and returning to examining their surroundings, Shillereese changes the subject. “Do you suppose we might find a proper shop somewhere outside? I don’t mind dressing like a doxy but I would prefer a few options.”

OOC

Placeholder Formatting - Incorrect Information - I’m home late Tuesday. Will straighten things out next week.

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Did not engage with door because then we have to wait for Michel to return from the vineyard to find out what happens.

Molgrug"Ah, that's what the critics would have you believe!" Molgrug replies, almost gleefully. "It is refreshing to see that at least one of you has a... *ahem*... passing familiarity with more cultural matters... but actually, I think you will find, if you examine the popular interpretation of the third act, it has several inconsistencies which are in fact contradicted by the author themselves in several subsequent works."

He adjusts his new eyewear triumphantly before continuing, his voice every bit as annoying as before.

"Furthermore, madam, I believe you mistake me for a devil!" He exclaims with derision. "I'll have you know that we yugoloths consider ourselves to be unbound by such petty constraints as "order" or "chaos" and pursue only the truest and purest form of evil. Why, I myself have written several treatises on the subject! We have, after all, had many centuries to observe the great war between tanar'ri and baatezu."

Statblock

Molgrug

Shillereese

”The popular interpretation?” Shillereese crinkles her nose. “I suppose if one is inclined to substitute popular theories in place of actual critical thought then one can do so. I understand that some are limited in their own abilities and find it needful to fall back on something to prop up their position.”

Another bosom heaving sigh. “I had so hoped for more of a proper intellectual debates”

“As for your condition of orderliness.” Shillereese gives him a long glance and then rolls her eyes. “Your fanatical clinging to books and compulsive desire for comparing notes clearly indicates that while other Loths maintain a balance, you-yourself are clearly committed to the inferior philosophies of total structure and conformity over confidence.”

OOC

Placeholder Formatting - Incorrect Information - I’m home late Tuesday. Will straighten things out next week.

Having trouble with spellcheck. Anything spelled wrong is that she has an accent.

Move:
Standard:
Free:

image.png.57103fdc7d22e2c93fab9e38b72337ff.png.569bb3cb42ffd9a2c1a19ea8f646de1d.png.ebb8cbbb11f4c04b013de62374a21f71.pngCreed looks past the Succubus and Arcanaloth at the others and rolls his eyes. Shaking his head he continues his examination of the room they are in, ending with inspecting the door itself.

Statblock

CREED
Level 2, HP 18/18, Speed 40ft /x4
AC 16, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13,
Fort 8, Ref 8, Will 3,
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition: Fast Healing 1 per minute
Senses: Low-light Vision 60ft, Spot/Listen +9, Init: +7

Place Holder

image.png.168e1e77f98ee8835db60afa6c844ab8.png

1st Cave

Nizell had escaped her shell early in the first cave and on realizing she had almost no coordination of her arms she retreated into the shadows in the depth of the cave. She needed to evaluate the risks. Under normal circumstances if any of the creatures in the cave knew who she was and that she was this week, she was in grave danger.

When the party slayed the paladins  it was clear they were all extremely reduced in their abilities so she was weighing up coming out from hiding but when they started to skin and dress their dinner she couldn’t help herself and she came forth.

”stop…stop… your completely  fucking that up…. that skin….it will be useless if you do it like that”

Rushing in she nudged the fiend Kerapsis  (they know each other? ) aside and assumes her position over the fresh bodies as she snacks on a forelimb ready to go about her business…..before she drifts into a coma. 

The Room

………to be completed shortly

STAT BLOCK

Nizell, Mage Slayer

Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Telepathy 100ft Spot/Listen +13 
Level 2: HP: 22/22 Speed 40ft Init:3
AC: 18, Touch: 13, Flat-footed: 15

Attacks: Melee +5, Ranged +4, Tail +5 (3d6+4), TWF +3/+3

Weapons: Great Sword, longsword, short sword, Dagger x2 [4 spare] - if OK

Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +3 (+1 vs spells)
Spells:[5x0, 1x1] No Light, Ghost Sound, Open/Close, Mending, Charm Person, Shield
Special: Fast Healing 1, Sneak attack +1d6, Improved Grab (Ex), Detect Magic 1/d, Steel Spells (0,1)

Edited by Grand Poobah (see edit history)