Chapter 2: Where evil lurks

Michael

Shillereese

image.png.6569c8b539de245a476281976ea8cfa6.pngHP 17/17  | AC 14 |  Fort 6 - Reflex 6 - Will 9  |  Claw +3 (1d3+1) | Eldritch Blast +5 (1d6)

Taking advantage of the momentary pause, Shillereese steps forward and performs a sketch of a curtsey. An acknowledgement of the Witch without any sense of abasement towards the gathering. A sign of alliance, not submission.

"It is right and well done, our secretive portage. This Sharn has more interesting prisons than the hovel where we first met and I suppose it's exterior is equally more impressive. You have our thanks for such expeditious transportation."

Stretching her wings with a short flap, an emphasis of her demonic nature - and by extension the hellish power represented by the gathering of Infernals for whom she is speaking for - Shillereese smiles sweetly and continues.

"Now that we have arrived, perhaps it is time to discuss just exactly what it is you desire. If my memory properly serves, smuggling our persons into Sharn is only the beginning of your plan. There was mention of some murders you would like to arrange."

OOC

Move:  Walking About
Standard:  Talking
Free:  Moar Talking

Dark One's Own Luck = +2 Bonus to a single save. Changeable as Standard Action. Currently on Fortitude.

MolgrugHalf expecting that the "witch" was little more than a charlatan, Molgrug has to admit that this conclave proves her at least somewhat more capable than could have been the case. What really sets his mind whirring, however, is the layout of the room and the witch's introduction.

"Oh, please excuse my chaotic companion!" He exclaims in response to Shillereese's impetuousness. He plonks himself down in one of the chairs with little aplomb, adjusts his glasses, and smiles at the assembled mortals warmly. Well, he smiles at them, anyway. From a certain angle, it looks more... predatory. "These, um, demons, you see, very impulsive, heh."

He looks at the succubus chidingly.

"Come now, we haven't even introduced ourselves... rather rude, given our hosts' hospitality," he says, before turning back to the non-fiends. "I'm afraid we rather have you at the advantage, ha ha. No, no, we must introduce ourselves - and then, if I may? I would quite like to hear not only your names but your roles here as, well, indeed, we have already met your..." - he glances at the witch, who claims she isn't a witch. What did she say? "Priestess of the Mockery"? - "...jester? Well, anyway, I am Molgrug, former Assistant to Director Unified Accounting and Management - though, only for the invasion effort of course. Before I that I spent, um, well now... somewhere between eighty and ninety years I think working in the logistics and planning department of a large public sector body established to prepare for such an eventuality... ah, my apologies, it was only that for the middle forty years or so, after which we had a little reorganisation, you know, a sort of hierarchical restructure, merged a few teams, that sort of thing, to better support our strategic imperative."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2794812][B]Molgrug[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, [B]Init:[/B] +2 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16 [B]AC:[/B] 17, [B]Touch:[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 14 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison) [B]Soulmelds:[/B] Mage's Spectacles (1), Lightning Gauntlets (0) [B]Spells:[/B] Command x2, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water [B]Special:[/B] None
Molgrug
Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, Init: +2
HP: 16/16
AC: 17, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 14
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison)
Soulmelds: Mage's Spectacles (1), Lightning Gauntlets (0)
Spells: Command x2, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water
Special: None

Shillereese

image.png.6569c8b539de245a476281976ea8cfa6.pngHP 17/17  | AC 14 |  Fort 6 - Reflex 6 - Will 9  |  Claw +3 (1d3+1) | Eldritch Blast +5 (1d6)

"And I am Shillereese, known as Indigo of the Radiant sisters and Handmaiden of Malcanthet Queen of the Succubi and holder of the Razor Throne." Shillereese says without looking to where Molly drapes himself over a chair. "Not that these titles mean anything to the assembly but if my companion whishes to put on airs to impress mortals, I suppose he must prop up his courage in some fashion."

OOC

Re: Titles

I saw the entry on Malcanthet while working out if I wanted to try and do a Lilitu or not. I figure, we were all big shots before, why not go for the gold? It isn't as if any of their former titles mean anything now.

1 hour ago, TheFred said:

He looks at the succubus chidingly.

As her back is turned towards him, Shillereese is unaware of the activity.

Dark One's Own Luck = +2 Bonus to a single save. Changeable as Standard Action. Currently on Fortitude.

Molgrug

"Airs?" Molgrug frowns, annoyed that Shillereese has interrupted his highly interesting explanation of the organisational structures of Gehenna's greatest institutions. "Merely attempting to explain... in order to, um, better facilitate communication between our two parties... I myself have few fancy titles, merely a few millennia of experience in various administrative and, ah, middle-leadership roles, as well as being an accomplished thaumaturgical researcher, having, in fact, published a number of papers on several interesting topics which I am happy to go into in more detail."

He looks around the room, to see how many of the assembled mortals look interested in hearing about his research papers. He definitely gets a strong sense that at least one or two of them don't look as though they hate the idea quite as much as they could.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2794812][B]Molgrug[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, [B]Init:[/B] +2 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16 [B]AC:[/B] 17, [B]Touch:[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 14 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison) [B]Soulmelds:[/B] Mage's Spectacles (1), Lightning Gauntlets (0) [B]Spells:[/B] Command x2, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water [B]Special:[/B] None
Molgrug
Spells: Command x2, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water
Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

Nizell calms down,  almost as rapidly as she rouse to anger. She follows quietly keeping her well-honed senses alert and body ready to spring into action.

As they enter the room she is happy to find the witch “Priestess of Mochery” and more again as her eyes take in the pile of weaponry. "This is more like it."

As the witch does her introductions Nizell nods in acknowledgement but then moves to the weaponry as Molgrug drones on in what is obviously a life threatening handicap.

She is clearly interested in the weaponry and looks the items over, but at the same time she reaches out with her mind to a slave in the room she deems the least important. ???? had already told them that listening to their questions was giving her information. Nizell would ad a twist if she can.

“I would not offend your leaders by not knowing their appropriate titles. Please list them and the members of the pantheon they serve.” is spoken directly into the mind of the slave, a young slightly build boy.

Once she has looked over the weapons she will also make her way to take a seat.

Stat Block

Nizell, Mage Slayer

Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Telepathy 100ft Spot/Listen +13 
Level 2: HP: 22/22 Speed 40ft Init:3
AC: 18, Touch: 13, Flat-footed: 15

Attacks: Melee +5, Ranged +4, Tail +5 (3d6+4), TWF +3/+3

Weapons: Great Sword, longsword, short sword, Dagger x2 [4 spare] - if OK

Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +3 (+1 vs spells)
Spells:[5x0, 1x1] No Light, Ghost Sound, Open/Close, Mending, Charm Person, Shield
Special: Fast Healing 1, Sneak attack +1d6, Improved Grab (Ex), Detect Magic 1/d, Steel Spells (0,1)

image.png.d946d02637e6763643eb0cdf3aefa50f.png

Edited by Grand Poobah (see edit history)

image.png.57103fdc7d22e2c93fab9e38b72337ff.png.569bb3cb42ffd9a2c1a19ea8f646de1d.png.ebb8cbbb11f4c04b013de62374a21f71.png.0cf52badaf20f9d3922412263bd66b56.png.73f03a446a9091d4ce0be3357579fe39.pngCreed stalks into the room, obviously annoyed. His eyes narrow at the group sitting at the table and he walks up, eyeing each one as he walks back and forth in front of them. His eyes track each, noting everything he can about them. Then, without a word he grabs a seat and sits in front of the priestess, the seat groaning in protest.

Let the talkers talk He thinks as he gauges the threat levels of those in front of him. Casters were annoying but couldn't do much when under a boot.

Statblock

CREED
Level 2, HP 18/18, Speed 40ft /x4
AC 16, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13,
Fort 8, Ref 8, Will 3,
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition: Fast Healing 1 per minute
Senses: Low-light Vision 60ft, Spot/Listen +9, Init: +7

Name
Knowledge Local for Daria
1d20+8 4
Knowledge Local for Half-Elf
1d20+8 11
Knowledge Local for Hobgoblin
1d20+8 6
Knowledge Local for Gnoll
1d20+8 12
Knowledge Local for Human Female
1d20+8 16
Knowledge Local for Changeling?
1d20+8 10

It seems likely Daria has forewarned the rest of her council about Molgrug's verbiage, as none of them display the signs of psychic shock and stupor that most new people experience when first encountering it. Of the council it is Araene who seems most interested in what the 'lolth has to say, though she does not interject. Krassus the hobgoblin is the least interested, in just about everything, and he's more than happy to convey his boredom and distaste for the proceedings with exaggerated body movement and guttural complaints. Although when Creed sits down the hobgoblin leans forward in his seat, a feral grin on his face.

Him, I like.

He states.

However all fiends note the sudden interest several of the council (specifically Araene, Presense and Daria) show when Shillereese states her titles.

The council look at each other for a minute, for those used to telepathy it is clear a telepathic conversation is underway, the Daria speaks

None of those titles are known to us, and the 'lolth used the term "jester" for my God. At first we thought insult but now we think ignorance. In both directions. You...you are not from here are you? I don't just mean Eberron, I mean any of the Spheres. We assumed you were summoned from Mabar, Kythri or Fernia...but you are from much further afield.

She pauses, then continues

You have no knowledge of our pantheon, Sharn, Eberron....any of it.

These are made as statements rather than questions. The council looks somewhat bemused. Except Krassus, who continues to not care about proceedings, and Jessup, who remains unreadable, probably because his mangy, diseased face would be hard to read under the best of conditions.

Meanwhile, Nizell, euqally uninterested in the talking section of events, gravitates towards the weapons. The tables are laden with weapons of all types, most of decent make and some of it even masterwork.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)

Molgrug

"Now, um, excuse me, but please - let's not get ahead of ourselves!" Molgrug complains as Daria starts asking probing questions. "All in good time, all in good time! I apologise, I did not mean to insult your deity - not that we fiends hold much truck with such, no, ha ha! - I simply assumed you to be the jester, due to your attempts at humour and comically small size. But - indeed! - that's what introductions are for! So, let us continue around the room, hmm? Creed, perhaps you could introduce yourself? Tell us a little bit about you, relevant skills... um... you might have some... an interesting fact about yourself, maybe?"

Statblock

Molgrug

To survive as long as Nizell has you must master the half truth. When the opportunity presents itself she strikes for better or worse. She picks up a masterwork sword inspecting it, ready to use it to get their attention

In the gap presented by Molgrug continued monolog the speaks to the rest of the party

Telepathy to all BUT Molgrug : ”They think us, want us, to have been summoned by their deities, this is to our advantage. Who knows maybe we were? Play along with the knowledge extracted from their help”

GLANG

As Molgrug invites Creed to speak she tosses the weapon back on the pile hard enough to turn heads at the noise and slides rapidly to the table pushing aside the chair with her tail she sits back on her coil in the space next to Creed.

“ I am Nizell, First of the Elite and champion of the hoard of 100,000.”

Her  eyes run along the group resting on the  mangy gnoll who she guesses is the archmage, lingering on him before she returns to Daria.

“My friends call me Mage Flayer”

“As to our knowledge, my mind knows the words but I have no context to them. The Devourer, The Mockery, The Keeper, The Fury, The Shadow, The Traveler......... We are collectively the most powerful champions of our respective realms, having fought along side even the gods themselves. Only the most powerful and cunning of forces could have led us to be here with you.”

"As to these spheres, I surmise you are correct we know nothing of what you mention, but  I have answered your question and given you my name. You should reciprocate in this questioning. Explain this Eberron, these spheres, and these Six Gods who are powerful enough to do the impossible  ”

Molgrug

"Thank you Creed," Molgrug says, looking pointedly in Nizell's direction. He's not sure what gods she's talking about, but why does she have to give so much information away? They haven't even finished introductions yet! He turns to the mortals with a shrug. "We tried to get one of the other 99,999 champions, but, well, you know how it is... budget cuts."

Clearly, the foolish mortals think them to be something other than the invasion force that they are... but, at this rate, it won't be long before they've lost any element of surprise. Perhaps the transition through the gate not only stripped them of their power, but also addled their weaker demon and devil brain? Interesting! Molgrug thinks to himself. Best make a mental note of this for further consideration.

Statblock

Molgrug

Shillereese

Shillereese sighs and lets her wings droop for a moment.

With all the subtly of a Balor in a Glassworks, there are demands being made. The mortals want something from us, why not let them make their request? Besides, it seems foolish to make statements about fighting beside gods when it took nearly all our strength to defeat a handful of paladins. Lady of Pain help us if any of these mortals decide to test us on that accounting.

Keeping her internal thoughts to herself, Shillereese releases a bosom heaving sigh before speaking.

"I have walked the Great Ring, even through the foothills of the Seven Heavens to the Ale Houses of Ysgard and down through Chaos and around back to Ghenna and Acheron. Just to say that I had done the deed." Shillereese says with a flourish of her wings. "I sailed with Githyanki pirates across the Great Grey Void before the Spellplague broke the World Axis to form the Great Wheel. And the only thing I can say with certainty is there is always something new, some place unseen, some sphere yet to visit, a demi-plane to discover."

With the intention of forestalling any insult offered yet, she addresses the gallery. "That we have not heard the name of your Sharn does not make it lessor or greater than any land we have walked before. We offer no intentional insult to your deities. It is not without possibility that we know them only by different names than the ones they choose to reveal to your lands." 

And then, more directly to Daria. "With that in mind, I would ask does it matter? I find myself much more interested in what task your prophecy intends for us to undertake and what compensation you are prepared to make for its completion."

OOC

Does it matter what the locals are called? It's like asking what is the most popular slime hole on the 875th layer of the Abyss.

Brandisher.png.4abccf9766ad79862caaa7976666ebfe.png

"I am called Brandisher."

The Hellhound Archon feels out of his depth, in this still weakened form. They are in the middle of some royal court - or a caricature of one such, at least.

He will let the more diplomatic fiends lead the talks... and simply keep his ears open and vigilant.

"You did not bring us here for nothing."

Show Statblock

Brandisher

Paladin of Tyranny lvl 2

Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision;

HP 24/24;

AC: 20; Touch: 11; Flat-Footed: 19;

Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +7;

Resist Electricity 5; Resist Acid 10; Immune to Poison

Edited by Enkhoffer (see edit history)

Vrockv2.png.7061aa1e9941662b23152259ccde478f.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 2

HP: 21/21 | AC/Touch/FF: 15/13/12 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+3/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +6/+6/+6 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

Kerapsis stays on her feet initially as the others introduce themselves, warily watching the information of their origin get teased out. Eventually she settles down in the seat opposite the half elf and introduces herself,

"I am Kerapsis, the Carrion Fury. I served as high priestess for Blood Lord Orcus, the Shadow That Was."

"It seems the prophecy may not be coming to pass exactly as you anticipated, but we're here nonetheless and I'd like to hear more about it and more about your gods."

Kerapsis doesn't plainly state that she interested in devoting herself to a new deity, but even now that she has regained a modicum of her former power, her connection to Orcus is as silent as when she first arrived through the gate.

OOC / Actions

Molgrug

Molgrug is still looking at Brandisher expectantly when Kerapsis says her piece.

"Mmm... yes, very good, but can't you share a little about yourself, Brandisher?" he asks. It's almost as though these fiends have never done this before! How did they get to be - purportedly - the greatest that their relative planes had to offer without ever attending even the simplest horizon-scanning future planning committee screening meeting? Perhaps the transition through the gate not only stripped them of their power, but also addled their weaker demon and devil brain? "Come, now, I'm sure you consider yourself famous amongst your kin but you can't really expect these poor ignorant mortals to know everything about you just from your name!"

Statblock

Molgrug

Daria opens and shuts her mouth a few times, clearly somewhat nonplussed. She's also distracted, you suspect there's a raging telepathic conversation going on between her and other members of the council. Finally she waves her hand irritably, a physical reaction to the mental storm. She says

We need to...reevaluate, determine the best route forward. We were thinking that perhaps you should...

Krassus stands up angrily, shoving his chair back against the wall so hard it splinters.

Enough of this stupid back and forth

He grates thought clenched teeth, continuing

We need a dark shard extracted from a cache here in Sharn, one unapproachable by mortal inhabitants of the Dragon Between, such as us. Do this for us and you will be amply rewarded, and we will move forward WITH THE ORIGINAL PLAN.

The last part he shouts, but more at his fellow council members than you. Most of said council stares in stunned silence at the outburst..except Jessup, who lets out a hyena like laugh, Presense, who's morphic features turn to an overly large mouth showing a needle fanged grin, and the velvet clad mage, who says some words of magic and promptly teleports away.

Krassus scowls at his fellow councillors, and then ends with

Arms yourselves as you see fit. I will take you to the entrance.

You can have 500gp worth of stuff at regular prices. Anyone that thinks their character was paying some kind of attention please include a sense motive in your next post.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)