Chapter 2: Where evil lurks

Michael

image.png.70101dd5270428c6f4a8c31d841880e2.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 2

HP: 21/21 | AC/Touch/FF: 21/13/18 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+3/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +6/+6/+6 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

"Well that looks to be the shard we're looking for. I don't see why we can't just take it, but maybe this husk of a creature can provide something of value if we retrieve its items. I take it these regalia pieces are somewhere further in this complex? Try pressing it for more information on its whereabouts." Kerapsis motions towards the two other doors out of the room as she addresses Carmine.

OOC / Actions

Posted (edited)

The creature responds with the same raspy telepathic tone

I can sense the sceptre somewhere deeper in this complex. The other items I do not know but returning the sceptre will increase my power and then I may be able to perceive them. As for the Daelkyr, the ancient enemy, they are creatures of ageless madness. Those not banished back to their home sphere of Xoriat are imprisoned deep with Eberron herself. Pray to your gods you do not meet them, they destroyed my kingdom.

You receive a series of mental images of bizarre, even by fiendish standards, creatures that resemble nothing you have seen before.

spacer.png

Edited by Michael (see edit history)

Carmine

Carmine | AC 14 |  Fort 04 - Reflex 06 - Will 11  |  Claw +3 (1d3+1) | Eldritch Blast +5 (1d6)

"Well if that isn't a face only a mother could love." Carmine critiques the vision. "Yes, yes. Destroyers of earthly realms. I'm sure they are formidable to mortals." 

"In the meanwhile, there is a matter of which we are concerned. Perhaps you could explain what it is you hold in your hand."

OOC

Dark One's Own Luck = +2 Bonus to a single save. Changeable as Standard Action. Currently on Will.

Detect Magic is Active

Errgh. I so dislike not having any KS skills. The names mean nothing to Carmine.

I've run out of things Carmine is curious about for the moment. Might as well get to the crux of things and see what his reaction is to the spindle.

Molgrug

"Yes, well, I think you are all rather missing the point here," Molgrug says emphatically. "Why, I wonder if any of you have even visited Pandemonium! Admittedly, I wouldn't recommend it, though it does have the distinct advantage that I wouldn't be able to hear most of this infantile speculation."

He eyes the corpse-person with scepticism.

"This... person... certainly seems to be more than your run-of-the-mill mortal - not least since it appears to be dead!" He remarks. "Ask it if it's ever visited Pandemonium, won't you? I say! I say, undead person! Have you ever visited Pandemonium?"

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2794812][B]Molgrug[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, [B]Init:[/B] +2 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16 [B]AC:[/B] 17, [B]Touch:[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 14 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison) [B]Soulmelds:[/B] Mage's Spectacles (1), Lightning Gauntlets (0) [B]Spells:[/B] Command, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Sandblast, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water [B]Special:[/B] None
Molgrug
Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, Init: +2
HP: 16/16
AC: 17, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 14
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison)
Soulmelds: Mage's Spectacles (1), Lightning Gauntlets (0)
Spells: Command, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Sandblast, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water
Special: None

"I've eaten worse"

Reluctantly agreeing with Molgrug.

"Molgrug has a point, it would be good to understand if he is aware of our planar system."

"He is a much more impressive creature than the rabble of humans. Maybe we should ask what he plans to do once he has these items and how it could align with us. Also let him know we have already been offered riches for the shard. What was the power he is offering....and why is it better than grabbing the shard and leaving"

Molgrug

"Well, if by "impressive" you mean "impotent", then... yes," Molgrug quips. "Or perhaps "immobile"? There are, um, well, lots of words that all sound quite similar but, something quite important when it comes to the art of conversation - they all mean different things."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2794812][B]Molgrug[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, [B]Init:[/B] +2 [B]HP:[/B] 16/16 [B]AC:[/B] 17, [B]Touch:[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 14 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison) [B]Soulmelds:[/B] Mage's Spectacles (1), Lightning Gauntlets (0) [B]Spells:[/B] Command, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Sandblast, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water [B]Special:[/B] None
Molgrug
Spells: Command, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist, Sandblast, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Create Water
Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

Carmine

Carmine | AC 14 |  Fort 04 - Reflex 06 - Will 11  |  Claw +3 (1d3+1) | Eldritch Blast +5 (1d6)

Carmine releases a heavy sigh.

"It is possible, Molgrug, that I owe you an apology. I have implied you lack Chaos, but your mind's inability to maintain grasp on a single concept longer that it takes you to draw a breath proves otherwise."

"I will not be asking more questions about the creatures or their nature or their disposition. Dash'ken has delivered to us his impressions of the beings. Either he knows nothing else, or he is deceiving us. Either situation means there is nothing useful remaining to be told."

"And while I enjoy a philosophical discussion of planer physics more than most, our current situation does not allow such luxuries." Carmine continues with a weary shake of his head. "I have asked the dead mortal about his life with the intention of drawing information. Like many undead, he is far too obsessed with his mistakes in life."

"I had hopes he might mention the shard in his rantings. I have found in most transactions, you can make a much better deal if the other party has no idea of what your real goal is. This is called subtlety. But Dash'ken's obsession with other things and the lack of patience among ourselves has rendered this moot. So I have just now asked him directly about the shard. Changing the subject seems counter productive."

OOC

Dark One's Own Luck = +2 Bonus to a single save. Changeable as Standard Action. Currently on Will.

Detect Magic is Active

Posted (edited)

If Dash'ken is aware of the internecine squabble between the fiends, he gives no sign. Of course being frozen solid and basically incapable of giving any sign at all helps in that regard. In response to Carmine's question he responds

This is an infused shard, a device of my own design, a Khyber shard infused with energies of Xoriat. I had hoped to leverage the binding properties of Khyber shards to bind one of the Daelkyr. Sadly, I was betrayed just as I was finishing the incantation of its creation, hence my current predicament.

After a pause he continues

Who knows what powerful magics it is capable of? Ordinarily it would hold pride of place in my treasure vault. However, given my current circumstance, I would consider a swap. For, say, a certain sceptre?

Molgrug

Molgrug raises a sceptical eyebrow at Carmine.

"Au contraire, my foolish fiend," Molgrug quips. "It is you who is being distracted by all this talk of sceptres and... wormy... creature... things. I am merely taking a moment to educate our bird-brained compatriot in the basics of intelligent communication! Now, if you would like, I have actually prepared a few short etymological essays which I could recite in order to better provide a little background on this subject - essays I think you would all find quite illuminating."

Molgrug looks at the assembled gaggle of fiends, and his face suggests he may not really believe what he is saying. After all, half of them probably wouldn't understand a good etymological essay unless it bite them in the face.

Statblock

Molgrug

Carmine

"Yes, yes. Very nice, I am sure." Carmine gives Molgrug some head pats.

"Dash'ken has agreed to exchange his bauble, the Khyber Shard, for the previously mentioned scepter which is somewhere nearby within these ruins."

"It could be of interest to know he has infused some of the energies of the Xoriat into this particular crystal and the crystals themselves are adept at being turned towards binding magics. We should keep this in mind when it comes time to renegotiate with our sponsors."

"I see no reason to not agree with the terms." Carmine makes a vague gesture towards the far wall. "We may have to find out way out of this place anyways and we should investigate our own escape. Having an option other than a return to that council of mortals would be pleasant."

"We could try to wrest the Shard from his grip, but considering how long it took to break through the door, I do not see such an action as being swiftly completed. Besides some sort of personal response from Dash'ken, it is highly likely that those who doomed him to this throne have placed their own obstructions to his release."

"I suggest we find his scepter and make the trade. Dash'ken could prove to be a useful ally if we do not antagonize him."

OOC

Detect Magic is Active

image.png.70101dd5270428c6f4a8c31d841880e2.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 2

HP: 21/21 | AC/Touch/FF: 21/13/18 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+3/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +6/+6/+6 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

Kerapsis' beady eyes survey Dash'ken, skeptical of his use, but not wanting to underestimate his potential.

"Fine, I suppose there's a chance this Dash'ken could have a use to us. But if his scepter isn't around, I'm not above hacking through ice and bone for the crystal."

"Anyone object to moving through one of these doors to search for the scepter?" Kerapsis gestures to the two doors leading further into the complex.

OOC / Actions

Posted (edited)

A quick investigation shows the door to the east wont open, despite some effort. It seems likely that it is blocked from the other side

The door to the west opens easily enough...well, once the ice is chipped away. A plain long corridor extends to the west. The ice from the current room has permeated to beyond the door, but runs out after a few yards.

Molgrug

"Yes, well, very good," Molgrug says, confused as to why these supposedly-powerful former lords of evil think it would be difficult to take a bit of crystal from a person who's basically dead and can't even move. "Payment up front though, I'm afraid. Kerapsis, grab that crystal won't you? Don't worry, Dasher, we'll go look for your sceptre."

Perhaps a magic sceptre is worth something in its own right? It sounds powerful, at any rate.

Statblock

Molgrug