Can we PLEASE do something about CTRL+Z??

Arklytte

I dont know why, but every time I hit CTRL+Z in pretty much ANY post, either it utterly borks the post, removing formatting, nested tags, etc, or it completely locks up my browser (fully updated Firefox). What it DOESN'T do is it's basic function, to whit, undo the last thing I just did.  This has been going on, in one form or another, since BALDR went public, at least for me.

I know that there are a lot of priorities on the Fix It list, but c'mon guys, this is a BASIC Windows function.  If simple, basic system functions are going to cause this much of an issue, then I dont see how this whole grand experiment is going to fly.

To be fair, I have used Ctrl-Z extensively in Chrome and Edge in all sorts of fancy post and it has always worked exactly as expected by removing just the very last thing I have done. Never has it once removed or Borked the entire post.

The issue you are having is a Firefox issue that other Firefox users have reported with Ctrl-Z not storing history so it clears everything or other weird shenanigans. 

Since Ctrl-Z is a html browser out of the box feature and has nothing to do with anything specifically Baldr related. There is no setting or issue to fix.

I suggest using a different browser other than Firefox until the issue is resolved by Mozilla.

Huh...was not aware it was an FF issue.  I'll have to revert back a couple versions and see if that fixes things.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of either Chrome or Edge, so I suppose I'll have to deal with it.  Hopefully an older version will help.

On 7/16/2022 at 1:57 AM, bwatford said:

To be fair, I have used Ctrl-Z extensively in Chrome and Edge in all sorts of fancy post and it has always worked exactly as expected by removing just the very last thing I have done. Never has it once removed or Borked the entire post.

I'm going to disagree with you here.  While using your 5E format, I was in one of the tables/fieldsets and typing away.  Made a mistake and hit CTRL+Z.  The ENTIRE fieldset reverted to what you had.  It didn't remove my last mistake, but rather EVERYTHING I had typed to that point.

I agree with @Arklytte here that the functionality needs to be looked at and fixed; in its current form, CTRL+Z is not usable or reliable.

@Scarecrow71Can you provide a specific step-by-step to reproduce, with a link if possible? I can't seem to replicate on a new post, so I imagine it may have something to do with the specific nesting being used. CKEditor automatically sanitizes the HTML content when undo is activated, following the rulesets in the editor and each widget (table, fieldset, etc.) inside; it's most probable that one of the allowedContent rules is off.

@Scarecrow71 can you link me to the template that you were using please?

I have only seen that behavior when I have edited something in the source that is incorrect or when there is weird stuff in the template from an ogmw copy/paste.

If it is the latest character sheets with the maroon headers in the tables, then that was done entirely inside Baldr without copy/pasting any data and I used only the editor for creation, never touched the source so should be 100% clean.

It was done with your new template, @bwatford.  Yesterday afternoon.  Specifically, in the class features around the Void Savant.  I altered that to be Transmutation Savant, changed the information in the spoiler to say Transmutation, then went about typing away in the fieldset, hit CTRL-Z, and the Void Savant information came back.

@Scarecrow71 having used that template a few times I have found that I need to clear the table cell I am working in completely of old OOC data before I start inputting new data if that helps.  Something about the OOC tags work, it is easier to create new ones than edit the old ones. Not sure if it ties into the Ctrl-Z error though.

@Eric this is the template in question.
https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/365-bwatfords-fancier-format-examples/&do=findComment&comment=8034

Editing cell under "Class Abilities" is where he got the error.  I tried to duplicate but cannot at this point.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

then went about typing away in the fieldset,

Which fieldset? Can you provide a link to the specific post where this is happening? I'm sorry if this sounds really dumb/pedantic/etc. but so far I've been generally unable to reproduce so I need to zero in on exactly what you're doing, step by step.

Not @Scarecrow71, but as I am the originator of the thread/complaint, I'll provide a link to the post that prompted this thread.

https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/1110-01-steel-shepherd/page/3/#comment-8287

This was originally posted in the most recent version of FF, Windows 10 64 Bit.  I was editing the Combat Actions spoiler, mis-typed something, hit CTRL+Z, the entire screen froze (wouldn't register keyboard or mouse clicks) for about 20 seconds, then came back with everything I'd typed in that spoiler having reverted to what it was before I started editing the spoiler.

This has happened before, in similar circumstances, but this was the worst bork to date.

Edited by Arklytte (see edit history)

@Arklytte while a little unconventional formatting of the spoilers all the html code looks clean.

By your description of the 20 second delay where you were freezing up, it sounds like a driver may have hung up, (crashed in the background and recovered) which may have caused a refresh of the window which may have reverted the changes.

Still not having any luck reproducing the Ctrl-Z issue but I am still looking.

For what it is worth, I cannot get the issue to duplicate in Firefox 102.0.1 (64-bit) either.

@Eric

This thread:  Alphaeus Junius, Human Transmuter - Applications - Myth-Weavers

In the Class Features section.  Where you see Transmutation Savant, it was originally (in b's formatted thread) Void Savant.  I changed that to be Transmutation Savant.  I then went into the spoiler itself and changed everywhere it said Void to Transmutation.  And then I started working on another spoiler, and when I hit CTRL+Z, the whole cell went back to its original wording.

43 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I then went into the spoiler itself and changed everywhere it said Void to Transmutation.

To confirm, these are OOC widgets, not spoilers? The two are separate so I need to make sure I'm barking up the right tree in the code.

43 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Where you see Transmutation Savant, it was originally (in b's formatted thread) Void Savant.  I changed that to be Transmutation Savant.

Am I correct that you did this via the dialog box? Did you change the shown and hidden text in a single dialog box or consecutively?

44 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And then I started working on another spoiler, and when I hit CTRL+Z,

Ctrl-Z immediately after closing the dialog box, or were there other intervening actions?

2 hours ago, Arklytte said:

Not @Scarecrow71, but as I am the originator of the thread/complaint, I'll provide a link to the post that prompted this thread.

https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/1110-01-steel-shepherd/page/3/#comment-8287

This was originally posted in the most recent version of FF, Windows 10 64 Bit.  I was editing the Combat Actions spoiler, mis-typed something, hit CTRL+Z, the entire screen froze (wouldn't register keyboard or mouse clicks) for about 20 seconds, then came back with everything I'd typed in that spoiler having reverted to what it was before I started editing the spoiler.

This has happened before, in similar circumstances, but this was the worst bork to date.

Any FF add-ins in play? Aside from bwatford's allusion to a driver crash, this sounds like what might happen if the JavaScript engine went into la-la-land. I haven't been able to reproduce it on my end, but we'll keep hunting.